Image size: forums, challenges, web

Started Nov 26, 2013 | Discussions
janeenadamsmartin
Contributing MemberPosts: 623Gear list
Like?
Image size: forums, challenges, web
Nov 26, 2013

Hi all -

I tried searching, but couldn't find anything easily.

Is there a single image size that works best for posting in the forum and challenges?   It seems like it needs to be small enough to be suitable for the forum, but large enough to be pixel-peeped for the challenges or peer review and trouble-shooting.

jan

janeenadamsmartin's gear list:janeenadamsmartin's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Timj351
Senior MemberPosts: 2,421
Like?
Re: Image size: forums, challenges, web
In reply to janeenadamsmartin, Nov 26, 2013

Hi Jan, I don't know if there is a best size for posting here. If there is maybe someone else will tell us. What I have settled on is 1200 pixels on the long side of a photo and that seems to show enough detail to show it clearly. When I reduce the picture size I make sure it still looks sharp but not overly so. Depending on the discussion sometimes I will post a photo at its full resolution or sometimes a cropped portion of a full res photo so all of the details can be seen. I hope this helps.

-Tim

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John Miles
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,738Gear list
Like?

There seems to be no particular size that people gravitate to in my experience. And pixel peeping seems to be a dying trend around here at least.

There are complaints from time to time about the way the Dpreview website handles the quality of uploaded images, with claims that image quality is reduced in the process. But I have not read of  these complaints being matched to a particular image size.

-- hide signature --

The FZ50: DSLR handling of a bright, non-extending Leica 35-420mm F2.8-3.7 lens. I live in hope that Mr Ichiro Kitao, Mr Michiharu Uematsu and Mr Yoshiyuki Inoue have triggered the update to the FZ50. Please update the FZ50. It is unique and users of it cannot update without compromise of one or more of its combination of features. Full tribute here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=42366095 . Performace diagram here: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3862228415/photos/2623982/fz50-performance-range

John Miles's gear list:John Miles's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +1 more
Robiro
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,772
Like?
In reply to Timj351, Nov 26, 2013

Timj351 wrote:

What I have settled on is 1200 pixels on the long side of a photo and that seems to show enough detail to show it clearly.

I agree 100%. That is my "normal" size as well.

However, for the challenges I participate it, I am going to use 1600 or even more.

windmillgolfer
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,505Gear list
Like?

DPR proces before displaying, so images often look sub-optimal. I always use original resolution but a smaller filesize by using a lower quality JPEG setting in PSE to keep the filesize under 2MB to reduce upload times.

-- hide signature --

Stuart
Also at http://www.flickr.com/photos/dieselgolfer/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, please upgrade the FZ50

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
janeenadamsmartin
Contributing MemberPosts: 623Gear list
Like?
In reply to Robiro, Nov 26, 2013

Thank you for the feedback!  Glad to know I am not alone.  I use 1600 long side for Challenges, but I notice that size is too big when inserting into an email to my family.  I was hoping to not have to make two sizes for images I want to share.

Do you guys know what is happening when an image appearing in a forum post has the link "original size" right below the image?  eg:  What size is being displayed in the forum post versus the "original size" link?  Is DPR automatically downsizing any photos that are too big, and adding the link?

jan

janeenadamsmartin's gear list:janeenadamsmartin's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads