New Lens options for Canon 70D

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Jazz_UK
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
New Lens options for Canon 70D
8 months ago

Hi,

Planning to upgrade from the kit lens that i have inherited from my 600D and I cannot afford the Canon L but want to get lenses that will work with full frame if I can ever get hold of a suitable body.

I was thinking about the Tamron SP 24-70mm Di VC USD for my standard lens (I appreciate that I loose some of the wide angle on a crop), and telephoto get the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM.

I shoot mainly sports with the odd wildlife/bird photos. I am happy to revert back to my kit lens for any wide angle stuff.

Any other lenses I should be considering?

I have the 50mm 1.8 and 100mm 2.8 macro L

Also I plan to buy in USA and bring them back with me in December, is there anything in the build quality I should be worried about?

Thanks

Stuart

Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SignUpsDot
Regular MemberPosts: 171Gear list
Like?
Re: New Lens options for Canon 70D
In reply to Jazz_UK, 8 months ago

Jazz_UK wrote:

Hi,

Planning to upgrade from the kit lens that i have inherited from my 600D and I cannot afford the Canon L but want to get lenses that will work with full frame if I can ever get hold of a suitable body.

I was thinking about the Tamron SP 24-70mm Di VC USD for my standard lens (I appreciate that I loose some of the wide angle on a crop), and telephoto get the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM.

I shoot mainly sports with the odd wildlife/bird photos. I am happy to revert back to my kit lens for any wide angle stuff.

Any other lenses I should be considering?

I have the 50mm 1.8 and 100mm 2.8 macro L

Also I plan to buy in USA and bring them back with me in December, is there anything in the build quality I should be worried about?

Thanks

Stuart

If you plan to go FF soon, I don't see why you didn't save up for a 6D on black friday. You can get them pretty cheap. A new 70D is roughly $1200, but a 6D can be found for $1600-$1800. If you get a 70D you spend $1200 and then $1700.

But onto your question, if FF is something that's happening really soon, get 24-70, and 70-200. If you need an ultra wide angle lens, 10-22 used would be nice. Then sell it when you've gone FF.

If FF isn't happening for a couple of years. I'd get 17-55mm Canon or Tamron, 10-22mm. Along with the newish 70-200 F2.8 II, which won't be refreshed for a good amount of time. Or the 50-150mm from Sigma.

It just depends on what you're feeling like. Personally, I regret buying EF-S lenses, now that I'm going FF in a few months.

I'll have to sell my 50-150mm and 17-50mm now.

Cheers~

P.S. Careful, the 24-70mm Tamron seems to have QC issues. Buy it at a local store or online store with great warranty and service, just in case you get a lemon.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
flylow47
Regular MemberPosts: 146Gear list
Like?
Re: New Lens options for Canon 70D
In reply to Jazz_UK, 8 months ago

I've been quite happy with the 24-105 F4L on my 70D. Only thing I miss here is it's not a 2.8 lens. Have been using this lens for several years on a T1i. Never had an issue. Incredibly sharp at F8. No complaints at F4. Like the extra length I get from this lens. Pairs well with a 10-22.

You can get them for under USD1000 from stores that unpair them with 5D3 and 6Ds (white box). That's how I got mine, and it came with full canon warranty. Never needed it though.

flylow47's gear list:flylow47's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads