Are any of you

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
fti
fti
Contributing MemberPosts: 920
Like?
Re: Are any of you
In reply to RaajS, 8 months ago

I think it's an interesting camera and may just win over a few people. it offers manual controls. It's not for me though. If however they introduced a bare-bones FM2 I'd really be interested. I also find it a little too large.

Still waiting for that digital back.

I have been following the developments of both the A7(R) and DF. Really interesting developments. I just can't get over the emotions they've unleashed in some people though. It's almost scary.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TThorne
Senior MemberPosts: 2,354
Like?

Raaj, where can I read this comments from Jeremy Walker. I'd be interested to hear what he has to say.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

richygm
Regular MemberPosts: 330Gear list
Like?

Me no. I have some Nikon E series lenses (which are very good) that I would like to use again, but I don't think this camera is worth the price, and think, too, that the sensor should be bigger.

HuntingSand
Senior MemberPosts: 2,401
Like?
Re: RaajS
In reply to l_objectif, 8 months ago

l_Will certainly do. I have a couple of Nikon F sitting here, fitted with pre-AI/S lenses, I think the DF is the only digital Nikon that actually accepts this type of vintage glass. Interesting - and potentially very irrational - weeks ahead...
Thomas

-- hide signature --

Photographic collections at http://hahn.zenfolio.com

Thomas, I am using my AI lenses with my D300 without any problem!...

Louis, were your Nikkors manufactured before 1977? In which case they would be non-AI lenses. Those wouldn't work on your D300, in fact they might damage your camera. From the Nikon site : "However, while Ai lenses where backwards compatible with non-Ai cameras, non Ai lenses where not compatible with all Ai cameras." There's a table herewhich lists compatibilities (see left column). I'm afraid my vintage Nikon lenses fall into the not-compatible-with-any-digital-Nikon-except-the-DF variety.

Thomas
_______
Photographic collections at http://hahn.zenfolio.com

RaajS
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,913Gear list
Like?
In reply to TThorne, 8 months ago

TThorne wrote:

Raaj, where can I read this comments from Jeremy Walker. I'd be interested to hear what he has to say.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

Here is the interview with Jeremy Walker - http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equipment/reviews/digitalslr/129725/1/three-weeks-with-the-nikon-df.html

cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

'Change is not Mandatory, you don't have to Survive...'
SeekingLight.net

RaajS
Like?
In reply to fti, 8 months ago

fti wrote:

I think it's an interesting camera and may just win over a few people. it offers manual controls. It's not for me though. If however they introduced a bare-bones FM2 I'd really be interested. I also find it a little too large.

Still waiting for that digital back.

I have been following the developments of both the A7(R) and DF. Really interesting developments. I just can't get over the emotions they've unleashed in some people though. It's almost scary.

Agreed!  The armchair business strategy quarterbacking, the pseudo-analysis and hand-wringing are astonishing, to say nothing of the emotions unleashed, as you point out.  Sometimes I wonder if people somehow fail to realize that it's only a camera!

I'm hoping it's a great low-light camera that allows use of old F-mount glass.  That would make me happy!

Cheers.

-raaj

-- hide signature --

SeekingLight.net

RaajS
Like?
In reply to richygm, 8 months ago

richygm wrote:

Me no. I have some Nikon E series lenses (which are very good) that I would like to use again, but I don't think this camera is worth the price, and think, too, that the sensor should be bigger.

Hi Rich, do you mean bigger sensor as in physically bigger than FF? As in MF sized?

Cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

SeekingLight.net

richygm
Regular MemberPosts: 330Gear list
Like?

I mean more pixels, raj. Also, I'm not very pleased that Nikon is asking much more for the camera here in the UK, than they are in the US. I'd rather not be ripped off.

fti
fti
Contributing MemberPosts: 920
Like?

Well then I think you'll be really happy

What is more is that the DF will be in the right hands as well

wchutt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,227Gear list
Like?
Who Knows… Depends On Manual Focus (nt)
No text.
 wchutt's gear list:wchutt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +20 more
Adrian Tung
Senior MemberPosts: 2,809Gear list
Like?

I was initially interested when the rumors started to spread, but the actual thing left a bit of bitter aftertaste.

I guess the biggest issue to me is the lack of proper manual focusing aids -- I've used a 5D Mark 2 with Eg-S screen before, that's still not fast and accurate enough compared to a split prism, so the stock screen of the Df will definitely be not good enough for me.

I have other minor quibbles about Nikon's design choice, but I guess the focusing screen is the main deal breaker.

Adrian Tung's gear list:Adrian Tung's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Canon EOS 10D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +10 more
JTori
Contributing MemberPosts: 754Gear list
Like?

I get so tired of all the gear talk and pixel peeping on the Leica Talk forum.  Why can't participants just post images taken with Leica, Pana/Leica and non-Leica gear?

Best to all and hope to be posting a few images again soon,

Joe.

JTori's gear list:JTori's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6
Carsten Pauer 2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,970
Like?

Are any of you Intrigued by the Nikon Df?

No, the Df is to slow...

brudy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,379Gear list
Like?

That inability to swap screens is huge for me. I also feel like they tried to split the difference between a fully manual camera and something modern. I don't need all the mode dials or the top lcd, the back is littered with buttons. I would have preferred something much simpler. It's also really not that small.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brudy

brudy's gear list:brudy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha 7R
Vikas M Gore
Contributing MemberPosts: 694Gear list
Like?

Thanks Raaj.

Low light does continue to be a struggle and if the Nikon is strong there it would definitely be very interesting - unfortunately I have no other Nikon equipment at all so it would be difficult to justify.

the GM1 gets more and more interesting but I'm frustrated by the lack of time to use it at present! A friend of mine lent me a Zuico 17mm f1.8 lens. Quite an amazing little lens - not as light as Panasoic's 20mm but narrower diameter because it has no stabilization and it has an ingenious optional manual aperture ring.

-- hide signature --

- Vikas

Vikas M Gore's gear list:Vikas M Gore's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Leica T
James Bligh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,167
Like?
A failure in design & pricing and void of new technology

RaajS wrote:

Intrigued by the Nikon Df? Looks like it might be a great low-light street shooting machine, with the ability to leverage some of the older classic prime lenses.

Love to hear your thoughts.

cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

SeekingLight.net

Design: The upper deck is crowded with oversized control dials and Df as a whole looks monstrous.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52466151

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/11/05/nikon-df-combines-classic-design-with-modern-technology?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_2

Technology: What fusion is there? Where are the people who have chanted hybrid viewfinder etc.? I find nothing better than D700 in Df whether it is Dust Free or Digital Fusion or whatever.

Pricing: I have no interest whatsoever in Df but some people may do and they talk about the price. People say this Df thing should have been priced around US$2000 neck to neck to the price of D610.

It is a failure in design & pricing and void of new technology.

-- hide signature --

Decision, decision, we are the slaves of decisions we made inadvertently.
May God forgive us our imperfections!
Dust to dust, what on earth are we entitled to claim?

marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
"Void of new technology" on a Leica forum?
In reply to James Bligh, 8 months ago

James Bligh wrote:

RaajS wrote:

Intrigued by the Nikon Df? Looks like it might be a great low-light street shooting machine, with the ability to leverage some of the older classic prime lenses.

cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

SeekingLight.net

Design: The upper deck is crowded with oversized control dials and Df as a whole looks monstrous.

Usually on a DSLR dials are made larger than on trendy miniaturized mirrorless camera so that photographers who care more about shooting than looks can get work done.

As far as "monstrous", the Df is the smallest, lightest DSLR to date, and it's actually only 30 g heavier than the Leica M.

Leica M  680 g

Nikon Df  710 g

Technology: What fusion is there? Where are the people who have chanted hybrid viewfinder etc.? I find nothing better than D700 in Df whether it is Dust Free or Digital Fusion or whatever.

The Fusion is a camera with manual exposure control interface (dedicated shutter speed, EV comp and ISO, a first on a digital camera) AND a modern two command dial DSLR style exposure control interface.  So users of older manual AI Nikkors with aperture rings can use an ALL manual style of exposure controls.

Not even a Leica M or Fujifilm X-Pro1 has anything remotely similar.  And users of modern AF Nikkors can use the two command dial system found on most modern DSLRs.  That's the fusion.

No other modern digital camera including the D700 has anything similar, nor does any current or past Nikon DSLR allow you to mount over 60 years of Nikkors including non CPU lenses and have full Matrix Metering.

Pricing: I have no interest whatsoever in Df but some people may do and they talk about the price. People say this Df thing should have been priced around US$2000 neck to neck to the price of D610.

I'm not sure how you build a body with a magnesium alloy body and knurled metal exposure dials, a pro style round eye cup and full weather sealing and sell it for the same $2000 as an entry level FF D610.  If you can figure out how Nikon could build such a camera and sell if for the same price as the entry level Nikon FF, you should probably start your own camera company or apply for the CEO job at Nikon.    The Df is priced between the D610 and D800 exactly where it should be.  And at least in the US and regions other than the UK, the pricing of $2750 is quite fair considering how competitively the D610 and D800 are priced (note the D800 is price $500 less than its nearest competitor the Canon EOS 5D Mk III).

No, it's a failure in your eyes.  Considering that the Df has drawn more page clicks and interest than any other camera in recent memory including the Sony A7r and Leica M, I can't imagine how anyone could interpret the Df as a failure at all.

Obviously as a Nikon user I'm biased, but I'm not alone among Nikon users in thinking it's a beautifully made camera, the smallest and lightest FF DSLR ever created that offers well thought out manual exposure controls (and modern command dials) with great D4 image quality.  It's going to be my next camera for sure.  I'd love a Leica M, but it's a camera than most of us only dream about.  A Df is actually quite affordable and should be a awesome shooter.

By the way, I don't consider slapping a lousy EVF on any camera "new technology".  So if an EVF mean "new technology" for you, I'm so glad the Df is "void of new EVF technology".  I had the X-Pro1 with the hybrid finder, it was nothing special at all.  Nice camera, but the finder wasn't anything special.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
James Bligh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,167
Like?
Df is an aesthetic failure.
In reply to marike6, 8 months ago

marike6 wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

RaajS wrote:

cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

SeekingLight.net

No, it's a failure in your eyes.  Considering that the Df has drawn more page clicks and interest than any other camera in recent memory including the Sony A7r and Leica M, I can't imagine how anyone could interpret the Df as a failure at all.

Though I am myopic you can hardly call a myopic eye a failure.

Obviously as a Nikon user I'm biased, but I'm not alone among Nikon users in thinking it's a beautifully made camera, the smallest and lightest FF DSLR ever created that offers well thought out manual exposure controls (and modern command dials) with great D4 image quality.  It's going to be my next camera for sure.  I'd love a Leica M, but it's a camera than most of us only dream about.  A Df is actually quite affordable and should be a awesome shooter.

Also as a Nikon user I must say Df is an aesthetic failure.

By the way, I don't consider slapping a lousy EVF on any camera "new technology".  So if an EVF mean "new technology" for you, I'm so glad the Df is "void of new EVF technology".  I had the X-Pro1 with the hybrid finder, it was nothing special at all.  Nice camera, but the finder wasn't anything special.

Neither do I like EVF so you do not have to quibble about silly ideas of your own.

-- hide signature --

Decision, decision, we are the slaves of decisions we made inadvertently.
May God forgive us our imperfections!
Dust to dust, what on earth are we entitled to claim?

Toccata47
Senior MemberPosts: 2,161
Like?
Yes

I'm intrigued by it perhaps just slightly less then when it was first announced. I prefer metal nobs over plastic dials and these will likely stand up better to the brutality that I inflict on my cameras. The smaller file size means I should be able to process satisfactorily with a tablet in the field.

Much remains to be seen and I'm not terribly keen on nikon preorders so I'll wait and see. I do have strong preference for the black model the silver seems to scream "retro uncool".

RaajS wrote:

cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

SeekingLight.net

Edward48
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,141
Like?
Re: "Void of new technology" on a Leica forum?
In reply to marike6, 8 months ago

marike6 wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

RaajS wrote:

cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

SeekingLight.net

Usually on a DSLR dials are made larger than on trendy miniaturized mirrorless camera so that photographers who care more about shooting than looks can get work done.

That's a very sweeping and damning statement. Rather silly too.

Regards
Mike

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads