Are any of you

Started Nov 24, 2013 | Discussions
RaajS
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,168Gear list
Like?
Are any of you
Nov 24, 2013

Intrigued by the Nikon Df?  Looks like it might be a great low-light street shooting machine, with the ability to leverage some of the older  classic prime lenses.

Love to hear your thoughts.

cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

'Change is not Mandatory, you don't have to Survive...'
SeekingLight.net

Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Daedalus2000
Senior MemberPosts: 4,546
Like?
NO. nt
In reply to RaajS, Nov 24, 2013
No text.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
HuntingSand
Senior MemberPosts: 2,586
Like?
I think Nikon got the DF all wrong!

Looking at the design cues and the whole concept, this should be a *film* camera with the additional option of writing files to an SD card. How cool would that be?
Seriously, though, it reminds me of my old FE2, but seems bulkier and more "visible" (street shooting value statement). Maybe I'll rent one for a week or so just to see how it feels in the hand. That D4 sensor they put into the DF gets you around town 24/7, bright light or no light.
Thomas

-- hide signature --

Photographic collections at http://hahn.zenfolio.com

l_objectif
Forum ProPosts: 17,477Gear list
Like?
How about this one?
 l_objectif's gear list:l_objectif's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D300
JDLaing
Senior MemberPosts: 2,217Gear list
Like?
No. (nt)
No text.
 JDLaing's gear list:JDLaing's gear list
Leica M9-P Leica M8.2 Leica M Typ 240 Leica Summarit-M 90mm f/2.5 Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +8 more
bosjohn
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,890
Like?
Re: How about this one?
In reply to l_objectif, Nov 24, 2013

nothing like gold and endangered species skin to warm the harts of collectors

-- hide signature --

bosjohn aka John Shick bosjohn@yahoo.com

Vikas M Gore
Contributing MemberPosts: 709Gear list
Like?
Re: Are any of you

No, the retro is too artificial for me As if they tried too hard.  Strange that I should say that when I think the Lica digital Ms look beautiful.   But something about the Nikon just says "retro done wrong" to me.  Maybe it's just that Leica went smoothly from the film Ms to digital, gradually evolving the design.  The Nikons on the other hand left  it all behind.  Why try and turn the clock back.  It's perfectly possible to do logical looking and well designed technology without groping in your past.

-- hide signature --

- Vikas

Vikas M Gore's gear list:Vikas M Gore's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Leica M Typ 240 Leica T
TThorne
Senior MemberPosts: 2,641Gear list
Like?

RaajS wrote:

Intrigued by the Nikon Df? Looks like it might be a great low-light street shooting machine, with the ability to leverage some of the older classic prime lenses.

cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

SeekingLight.net

I was intrigued because:

1. As much as I enjoy my Leica with 21mm SEM, there are times I need a wide zoom that will get me quickly from under 20mm to 35mm, and I didn't feel like adapting such a lens to my M. With the Df, I would be all about reconnecting with a Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8. Old faithful. Of course I would then feel the need to pick up a few primes for it as well, but nothing without an aperture ring.

2. As much as I do like the retro look, it is much more about preferring the analog controls to me. I like the way EC works on my MM, but not so much on my M's. It rarely matters because I shoot them in manual mode most of the time anyhow, but EC dials are my friend. ISO dial! Now we're cooking. I just like it, plain and simple. I hate menus and looking at screens.

BUT....

While I do like nice AF, it has been a while since I have owned a camera with it. That being said, I picked up an AF camera today and as the camera acquired focus, I felt myself thinking, "Am I supposed to trust you because you say so?"

Also, there was a disconnect that I felt and it made me want to go take some shots on one of my Leicas to cleans myself of the feeling.

Anyhow, AF is important and very useful, no doubt, but MF needs to be just as important, or at least it is for me. I am not sure how the Df supports MF, but if it works like any other modern DSLR, then no thank you. I was hoping this wouldn't be the case, but it seems like it may be.

If you know of other information though, please point me in the right direction.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

TThorne's gear list:TThorne's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7S Leica M-Monochrom Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +5 more
Edward48
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,341Gear list
Like?

I rather like the look of it Raaj. But no, I have no interest in it other than that.

very best
Mike

Edward48's gear list:Edward48's gear list
Leica X Vario Olympus OM-D E-M5 Leica M9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5
porrsha
Contributing MemberPosts: 632Gear list
Like?

Raaj,

The negative comments on the Nikon talk area almost brought the internet down when Nikon released this camera~!

Wayne

porrsha's gear list:porrsha's gear list
Leica D-LUX 3 Leica M Typ 240
RaajS
Like?
Kostas and Jim
In reply to Daedalus2000, Nov 24, 2013

Daedalus2000 wrote:

Thanks for your response, Kostas & Jim.  You guys seem very happy with your existing gear, which is a great place to be!

Cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

SeekingLight.net

RaajS
Like?
Thomas
In reply to HuntingSand, Nov 24, 2013

HuntingSand wrote:

Looking at the design cues and the whole concept, this should be a *film* camera with the additional option of writing files to an SD card. How cool would that be?
Seriously, though, it reminds me of my old FE2, but seems bulkier and more "visible" (street shooting value statement). Maybe I'll rent one for a week or so just to see how it feels in the hand. That D4 sensor they put into the DF gets you around town 24/7, bright light or no light.
Thomas

-- hide signature --

I know what you mean - that would be super cool!

As you point out, the D4 sensor intrigues me because it may make the Df a very capable, small low-light camera.  It also has a quiet shutter mode that appeals to me - the Sony A7 shutter noise was a non-starter for me.  I have a few older Nikon lens who's renderings I am irrationally attached to, including some R lenses modified for F-mount, which adds to the attraction.  While I love the rendering of the M8 and M9, both of which I am keeping, they don't do much for me in low light.  Let's see what the Df brings.  Apparently it gets released on Wednesday.  If you do rent one, I'd love to hear your take on it.

Cheers!

-raaj

-- hide signature --

SeekingLight.net

RaajS
Like?
Re: How about this one?
In reply to l_objectif, Nov 24, 2013

l_objectif wrote:

That is some serious blingification! (is there a word like that or did I make it up?)

Cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

SeekingLight.net

RaajS
Like?
In reply to Vikas M Gore, Nov 24, 2013

Vikas M Gore wrote:

No, the retro is too artificial for me As if they tried too hard. Strange that I should say that when I think the Lica digital Ms look beautiful. But something about the Nikon just says "retro done wrong" to me. Maybe it's just that Leica went smoothly from the film Ms to digital, gradually evolving the design. The Nikons on the other hand left it all behind. Why try and turn the clock back. It's perfectly possible to do logical looking and well designed technology without groping in your past.

-- hide signature --

- Vikas

Thanks for your interesting thoughts, Vikas.  I care less about the retro and more about the low light capabilities in a package that small.  Let's see how it performs!

BTW, I've been following your experiences with the GM1 - look forward to more images & thoughts.

Cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

SeekingLight.net

RaajS
Like?
In reply to TThorne, Nov 24, 2013

TThorne wrote:

RaajS wrote:

Intrigued by the Nikon Df? Looks like it might be a great low-light street shooting machine, with the ability to leverage some of the older classic prime lenses.

cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

SeekingLight.net

I was intrigued because:

1. As much as I enjoy my Leica with 21mm SEM, there are times I need a wide zoom that will get me quickly from under 20mm to 35mm, and I didn't feel like adapting such a lens to my M. With the Df, I would be all about reconnecting with a Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8. Old faithful. Of course I would then feel the need to pick up a few primes for it as well, but nothing without an aperture ring.

2. As much as I do like the retro look, it is much more about preferring the analog controls to me. I like the way EC works on my MM, but not so much on my M's. It rarely matters because I shoot them in manual mode most of the time anyhow, but EC dials are my friend. ISO dial! Now we're cooking. I just like it, plain and simple. I hate menus and looking at screens.

BUT....

While I do like nice AF, it has been a while since I have owned a camera with it. That being said, I picked up an AF camera today and as the camera acquired focus, I felt myself thinking, "Am I supposed to trust you because you say so?"

Also, there was a disconnect that I felt and it made me want to go take some shots on one of my Leicas to cleans myself of the feeling.

Anyhow, AF is important and very useful, no doubt, but MF needs to be just as important, or at least it is for me. I am not sure how the Df supports MF, but if it works like any other modern DSLR, then no thank you. I was hoping this wouldn't be the case, but it seems like it may be.

If you know of other information though, please point me in the right direction.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

Totally agree with you on analog controls - I care more about that than the "retro".  My reason for interest is mainly low-light capability and use of focal lengths that are simply not practical on the M's.  Like you, I could care less about AF, though I am able to use AF on the EM-5, for example, and find it very effective in many situations. There isn't much info out there yet - most of it is speculation and opinion, with much of the opinionated unfortunately having left any semblance of logic far behind.  I thought Jeremy Walker's comments were useful to read, since he shot with it for over a week.  The Df comes out this week, so I hope to get my hands on one soon.  The great news is that most cameras these days are far more capable than most of us photographers, so it's a great time to be around.

Cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

SeekingLight.net

RaajS
Like?
Mike
In reply to Edward48, Nov 24, 2013

Edward48 wrote:

I rather like the look of it Raaj. But no, I have no interest in it other than that.

very best
Mike

Thanks for your comments, Mike.  I too like the look of it.  If the sensor performs as well as it should, I'll be delighted!

Cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

SeekingLight.net

RaajS
Like?
Wayne
In reply to porrsha, Nov 24, 2013

porrsha wrote:

Raaj,

The negative comments on the Nikon talk area almost brought the internet down when Nikon released this camera~!

Wayne

Yes indeed!  In fact, one of the Nikon fora are still going at it!

Cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

SeekingLight.net

HuntingSand
Senior MemberPosts: 2,586
Like?
RaajS

RaajS wrote:

HuntingSand wrote:

Thomas

-- hide signature --

As you point out, the D4 sensor intrigues me because it may make the Df a very capable, small low-light camera. It also has a quiet shutter mode that appeals to me - the Sony A7 shutter noise was a non-starter for me. I have a few older Nikon lens who's renderings I am irrationally attached to, including some R lenses modified for F-mount, which adds to the attraction. While I love the rendering of the M8 and M9, both of which I am keeping, they don't do much for me in low light. Let's see what the Df brings. Apparently it gets released on Wednesday. If you do rent one, I'd love to hear your take on it.

Will certainly do. I have a couple of Nikon F sitting here, fitted with pre-AI/S lenses, I think the DF is the only digital Nikon that actually accepts this type of vintage glass. Interesting - and potentially very irrational - weeks ahead...
Thomas

-- hide signature --

l_objectif
Forum ProPosts: 17,477Gear list
Like?
Re: RaajS
In reply to HuntingSand, Nov 24, 2013

HuntingSand wrote:

RaajS wrote:

HuntingSand wrote:

Thomas

-- hide signature --

As you point out, the D4 sensor intrigues me because it may make the Df a very capable, small low-light camera. It also has a quiet shutter mode that appeals to me - the Sony A7 shutter noise was a non-starter for me. I have a few older Nikon lens who's renderings I am irrationally attached to, including some R lenses modified for F-mount, which adds to the attraction. While I love the rendering of the M8 and M9, both of which I am keeping, they don't do much for me in low light. Let's see what the Df brings. Apparently it gets released on Wednesday. If you do rent one, I'd love to hear your take on it.

Will certainly do. I have a couple of Nikon F sitting here, fitted with pre-AI/S lenses, I think the DF is the only digital Nikon that actually accepts this type of vintage glass. Interesting - and potentially very irrational - weeks ahead...
Thomas

-- hide signature --

Thomas, I am using my AI lenses with my D300 without any problem!...

l_objectif's gear list:l_objectif's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D300
Daedalus2000
Senior MemberPosts: 4,546
Like?
Re: Kostas and Jim

RaajS wrote:

Daedalus2000 wrote:

Thanks for your response, Kostas & Jim. You guys seem very happy with your existing gear, which is a great place to be!

Raaj,

It is a DSLR.... What else is there to say?

What is the saying? A wolf in a sheep's clothing?

Best, D

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads