Why is this called "Leica Talk" ?

Started Nov 23, 2013 | Discussions
Ashley G
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?
Precisely!
In reply to kixigvaq, Nov 26, 2013

Agree 110%!  I have read other forums (eg Sony as I have an RX 100 too) and have witnessed horrible, unending bitter fueds over...which model is best?! Even more apparent is the obsession with the latest models - they have fallen hook, line and sinker for planned obsellesance and somehow think it is a virtue!  With all that time spent buying the latest camera and conducting flame wars, I really wonder if these guys ever have the time to actually take a photo or two!

Long live the Leica forum as a pleasant place where the subject is usually realted to actually taking a photo.

Ashley

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bosjohn
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,890
Like?
Re: Re.: "Leica Look"
In reply to Jim Evidon, Nov 26, 2013

I believe this difference is due to using a range finder and not the glass I hear very little about r leica[s having the so called Leica look.  We in general tend to see wider.

-- hide signature --

bosjohn aka John Shick bosjohn@yahoo.com

John Basso
Senior MemberPosts: 2,566Gear list
Like?
Re: Why is this called "Leica Talk" ?
In reply to Jim Evidon, Nov 27, 2013

Here is an other reason.I once posted a Leica DL5 photo on the Canon Powershot forum.I was told in short order to get my Leica photo of their precious website and stick to my own place.

Here is yet perhaps why the Leica forum is different .Out of a full page of postings @ 60.

Leica Forum >>> 38 photo's

Nikon Coolpix >>.16   ,,

Sony Cyber Shot .  13.

Canon Powershot> 22,

Thanks for looking. John Basso.

John Basso's gear list:John Basso's gear list
Leica D-Lux 6
bosjohn
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,890
Like?
Re: Precisely!
In reply to Ashley G, Nov 27, 2013

I donno I looked myself in the mirror and yes I am nutty but  I think this is the best forum here,

-- hide signature --

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to l_objectif, Nov 27, 2013

l_objectif wrote:

Joe Pineapples wrote:

If I click on the photograph to view at full size, it has a completely different white balance and saturation - weird, eh?

Joe

Because it is not shot with Leica!....

[snip]

LOL! Of course - I should have guessed!

Joe

Joe Pineapples's gear list:Joe Pineapples's gear list
Ricoh GR
Jim Evidon
Contributing MemberPosts: 525Gear list
Like?
Re: Your comment: "Leica Look"
In reply to bosjohn, Nov 27, 2013

bosjohn wrote:

I believe this difference is due to using a range finder and not the glass I hear very little about r leica[s having the so called Leica look. We in general tend to see wider.

-- hide signature --

John,

You said:"...I believe this difference is due to using a range finder and not the glass..."

If you are equating IQ, contrast, flatness of field, color fringing, chromatic aberration and other lens characteristics to the mechanism or electro-mechanical device used to view and focus the subject, then good luck to you.
What's next? Will you state your belief that an apple's flavor is due to the hand that picked it?

Ciao,

Jim

Jim Evidon's gear list:Jim Evidon's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm XF1 Leica M9 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +2 more
janlu
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,863
Like?
Marcio :
In reply to marcio_napoli, Nov 27, 2013

marcio_napoli wrote:

Sure, Michael, I'm certain of that too.

But many folks won't go through the trouble of asking...

The info must be right there in the front page.

This is only your opinion , there is really no need to post full-resolution images

…. also many people always ask here ….and "always" get some very good help ,

…in more i really can't see here many no-Leica images …. only some exception…. 99% of the images posted here are from a Leica camera or a Leica lens …… and so there are few places around where you can see so many and different Leica pictures …. this is the right place to appreciate the Leica-output and work !!

Another case I remember:

I'm a huge fan of CCD sensors, and always found the images produced by the M8 and M9 simply gorgeous.

We all just know …. Marcio , you always write your usual long and infinite thought about CCD .

I already had a strong bias, but never actually thought of buying the M9 (mostly because I can't afford hehe).

Sometime ago, I've found a link (don't ask me where, I really don't remember) with a bunch of beautiful M9 DNGs to download.

These samples we're delightful. Most were at the golden hour, wich highlights the punchy M9 colours and CCD rendering.

Most were also shot wide open, with stuning bokeh from the Leica glass.

After playing with these DNGs, it took me 2 months to get rid of the idea of buying a M9. I just got cured because I can't afford it hehe

I don't remember which site that was, but they almost made me a Leica shooter.

That's the kind of "service" I expect the Leica forum to perform.

When you have asked for that … if i remember well someone on the Leica forum uploaded for you some DNG.

Also you know very well this forum , but you never loose the occasion to jump on it with some useless thought when it's really not needed and not even  deserved .

Gear issues in this forum are largely covered…. maybe in less threads but in a very competent and honest way .

That's very sad from you……

Gianluca

Nothing to explain.....

meagre offerings
Senior MemberPosts: 4,584Gear list
Like?
Re: Marcio :
In reply to janlu, Nov 30, 2013

Jim

you basically seem to think that anyone thinking about buying some Leica gear and wanting to research their potential buys will only have the presence of mind to look at one forum page, and if the info they require is not on that one page, then they will go look elsewhere or give up.

I think you severely underestimate your fellow photographers, when I came back into this game 12mths ago, I decided on a Nikon D200 as my first digital camera, did I look at just the first page of each website whilst looking for information, no I went through the internet with a fine tooth combe and read everything I could find that was written in the English language.

I also did the same before I got my Leica d-lux4, you know, the one that's not a real Leica and shouldn't be on this forum, even though DPR state this forum is for M8, d-lux, v-lux etc.

what really amazes me about you original post jim is that you hardly ever post or contribute anything positive to this forum, gear or image related, yet you seem willing to post troll like thoughts without a care in the world.

why is it that people who have no interest in this forum, love to come on here once in a blue moon, or when there is some trouble brewing, throw some petrol on the fire and then slink off back to their techie talk, and continue worrying about the ever elusive D400 or whatever.

it seems to me, on the whole, the contributors to this forum are happy with the forum, and the route that it takes. why would this bother you enough Jim to even make that original post.

best

pc
--
http://www.pbase.com/meagre_offerings/street_photography

also a proud member of the `lesser leica owners club`.

meagre offerings's gear list:meagre offerings's gear list
Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
nzmacro
Forum ProPosts: 10,895Gear list
Like?
NEX user finds it very strange to be honest
In reply to Jim Evidon, Nov 30, 2013

I come in here and the first thing I do is click on the "Photos" icon button. Take a look at what you are up to and low and behold, some of the images are not taken with a Leica at all.

I'm a bird shooter and always click that icon button in all the forums I visit. I also use Canon and Nikon lenses on the NEX (mainly Canon) and the last places on this earth I would post images taken with the NEX and Canon / Nikon lenses would be in here or the Canon and Nikon forums at DPR.

I wouldn't expect to see images posted in the Sony forum's taken with Leica, Canon or Nikon either.

IMO and I could get deleted, but the mods should actually be doing something about it.

All the best and I really do find it both strange and annoying when I open a post from the photo icons.

Danny.

-- hide signature --

http://www.birdsinaction.com
The image couldn't care less what took it, it just exists.

nzmacro's gear list:nzmacro's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 +9 more
janlu
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,863
Like?
:::::Some further thoughts ….. : ::::::

This place has always been a place where real photography has been the main interest , as all of you know…..

I have always found in this place priceless information and help about the Leica gear , thanks to many members that have an outstanding knoledge about !!!

The members of this forum also have always accepted some no-Leica photos from some very respectful members , and also from outsiders too !!! Interesting comparisons and very different points of view , i think this is very sensible and right after all .

We are just now without a moderator ….. and with the consense of DPreview to enjoy this forum without !!!

But we have to behave correctly , so i think that some no-leica photos is ok , but it's not ok encouraging them !!!!

Also i find very disturbing that in such a moment of the forum various people are posting many images from other brands .

All the forum has always defended them but they are not of help now !!!

So why ???? The forum has always helped them and now they do not understand that is better to take a little break ……. or do you all really want a moderator come again without understand when it's the case to accept no-Leica pictures or not ??? !!!!

If we want to be the natural moderators of this forum we also have to behave correctly……. accepting some no-leica pictures is good …. but encouraging them as a sort of rebellion is not a good thing .

Oh … and i have no problem with no-leica pictures but if all of you no-leica users continue in a so hard way without understanding the right limit …. then it will be worse for all…. Leica users and not !  

Gianluca

-- hide signature --
nzmacro
Like?
An option
In reply to janlu, Nov 30, 2013

janlu wrote:

This place has always been a place where real photography has been the main interest , as all of you know…..

I have always found in this place priceless information and help about the Leica gear , thanks to many members that have an outstanding knoledge about !!!

The members of this forum also have always accepted some no-Leica photos from some very respectful members , and also from outsiders too !!! Interesting comparisons and very different points of view , i think this is very sensible and right after all .

We are just now without a moderator ….. and with the consense of DPreview to enjoy this forum without !!!

But we have to behave correctly , so i think that some no-leica photos is ok , but it's not ok encouraging them !!!!

Also i find very disturbing that in such a moment of the forum various people are posting many images from other brand .

All the forum has always defended them but they are not of help now !!!

So why ???? The forum has always helped them and now they not understand that is better to take a little break ……. or do you all want a moderator come again without understand when it's the case to accept no-Leica pictures or not ??? !!!!

If we want to be the natural moderators of this forum we also have to behave ……. accepting some no-leica pictures is good …. but encouraging them as a sort of rebellion is not a good thing .

Oh … i have no problem with no-leica pictures but if all of you no-leica users continue in a so hard way without understanding the right limit …. then it will be worse for all…. Leica users and not !!!!

Gianluca

-- hide signature --

I shouldn't even be in here according to one poster.

Here's a thought. I participate in a few forums at DPR and if we take the Oly SLR forum as an example, each week (once a week) they have open threads. In other words any brand is allowed to post shots from any camera. Sony DSLR / SLT does exactly the same thing and it is very successful. Panasonic does the same.

I just upset someone in here and that's obvious, I'm sorry if I did. That is not what I want. Here's the issue. I look at a few forums here all the time, I don't always comment for sure. Here is how I go about visiting a forum and good example of what I do.

I simply click on the photos icon at the top of the forums and here's what it looks like when I do ........

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/1038?filter=photo&view=grid

From there I see what is of the most interest and I open up the post. That is where it gets very confusing and awkward IMO.

Okay, I'm a NEX user and maybe to some, I shouldn't be looking in here, well I'm sorry, but I do.

All the best and I'll now go back to my cave.

Danny.

-- hide signature --

RaajS
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,579Gear list
Like?
Re: An option
In reply to nzmacro, Nov 30, 2013

nzmacro wrote:

I shouldn't even be in here according to one poster.

Here's a thought. I participate in a few forums at DPR and if we take the Oly SLR forum as an example, each week (once a week) they have open threads. In other words any brand is allowed to post shots from any camera. Sony DSLR / SLT does exactly the same thing and it is very successful. Panasonic does the same.

I just upset someone in here and that's obvious, I'm sorry if I did. That is not what I want. Here's the issue. I look at a few forums here all the time, I don't always comment for sure. Here is how I go about visiting a forum and good example of what I do.

I simply click on the photos icon at the top of the forums and here's what it looks like when I do ........

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/1038?filter=photo&view=grid

From there I see what is of the most interest and I open up the post. That is where it gets very confusing and awkward IMO.

Okay, I'm a NEX user and maybe to some, I shouldn't be looking in here, well I'm sorry, but I do.

As a Nex user, let me offer you my sympathies.  And I'll accept yours in return for using anachronistic, over-priced, technologically backward Leica equipment.

All the best and I'll now go back to my cave.

No need to go back into your cave, which I am sure is very nice.  Why not go shoot some images?  You might even share them here.

Danny.

-- hide signature --

A couple of pieces of unsolicited advice:

1.  Please count the number of "I"'s in your original post - highlighted very thoughtfully by me above - you're welcome.  Then reflect on the count and what it might mean.

2. Sit in the lotus position and contemplate the line in your own sig.  Repeat until your consciousness transcends all limitations of brand and you become one with the Leica Forum...

Cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

'Change is not Mandatory, you don't have to Survive...'
SeekingLight.net

nzmacro
Like?
Sad really
In reply to RaajS, Nov 30, 2013

RaajS wrote:

As a Nex user, let me offer you my sympathies. And I'll accept yours in return for using anachronistic, over-priced, technologically backward Leica equipment.

So now somehow it comes down to brand bashing. Sad, very sad. Is that "seeking light" is it.

I guess that says a lot in here. In which case I won't bother you any more. I'll just go back to looking and sifting through images in here.

All the best and very sorry to have said I use a NEX in here.

Danny.

-- hide signature --

Gene J. Paull
Senior MemberPosts: 1,550Gear list
Like?
Why I post here!

1.  The EXIF data on my "Japanese" camera (DLUX 5) says Leica.  The images from the LX7 get posted on the Panasonic forum (even though the lens says Leica).

2.  I still shoot film - and this is the only forum on dpreview where such images still get posted.

3.  Main reason - this is the only forum still emphasizing images rather than gear, other than the lightly used street, travel etc. forums.

-- hide signature --

Gene in Deep South Texas
http://www.pbase.com/lahuasteca/

Gene J. Paull's gear list:Gene J. Paull's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D80 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
RaajS
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,579Gear list
Like?
Re: Sad really
In reply to nzmacro, Nov 30, 2013

nzmacro wrote:

RaajS wrote:

As a Nex user, let me offer you my sympathies. And I'll accept yours in return for using anachronistic, over-priced, technologically backward Leica equipment.

So now somehow it comes down to brand bashing. Sad, very sad. Is that "seeking light" is it.

Oh no!  And here I thought you were beginning to get it.

I guess that says a lot in here. In which case I won't bother you any more. I'll just go back to looking and sifting through images in here.

No bother at all.  As I said, a amusing moment on a cold, winter's day.

All the best and very sorry to have said I use a NEX in here.

Danny.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

'Change is not Mandatory, you don't have to Survive...'
SeekingLight.net

dale thorn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,758Gear list
Like?
In reply to TThorne, Dec 7, 2013

TThorne wrote:

meagre offerings wrote:

On a forum called Leica Talk, why are there so many posting of images taken by other cameras? Other LTM or M mount cameras with M mount or LTM mount lenses, I can see. But images posted taken with various Japanese DSLR's and point and shoot cameras etc.? They may be lovely images worthy of posting and comment, but why post them on a Leica forum? As things stand, this is hardly a forum for Leica. Maybe I'll post Leica or possibly Fuji images on Nikon or Canon forums. On second thought, maybe I won't. I think I'll move on to a more serious camera forum.
Jim

bye
--

Totally.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

Why? Because trolling is good for business.

dale thorn's gear list:dale thorn's gear list
Leica D-Lux 6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Leica T
TThorne
Senior MemberPosts: 2,851Gear list
Like?
In reply to dale thorn, Dec 8, 2013

dale thorn wrote:

TThorne wrote:

meagre offerings wrote:

On a forum called Leica Talk, why are there so many posting of images taken by other cameras? Other LTM or M mount cameras with M mount or LTM mount lenses, I can see. But images posted taken with various Japanese DSLR's and point and shoot cameras etc.? They may be lovely images worthy of posting and comment, but why post them on a Leica forum? As things stand, this is hardly a forum for Leica. Maybe I'll post Leica or possibly Fuji images on Nikon or Canon forums. On second thought, maybe I won't. I think I'll move on to a more serious camera forum.
Jim

bye
--

Totally.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

Why? Because trolling is good for business.

Stalking much Dale? I see you are back from your ban and looking for another. Good for you!

-- hide signature --

TThorne's gear list:TThorne's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7S Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads