Started Nov 23, 2013 | Discussions
l_objectif
Forum ProPosts: 17,360Gear list
Like?
Re: Why is this called "Leica Talk" ?
In reply to Joe Pineapples, Nov 24, 2013

Joe Pineapples wrote:

Jim Evidon wrote:

There is nothing wrong at all with the forum content. As I said, some of the images are quite good and there is always a place for posting and critiquing images. As a competition chairman of our local camera club, I am very sensitive to high image quality and content. It would really make more sense to call the forum "Image Talk"or some such rather than having it sound camera specific like Leica Talk. It just makes more sense, at least to me.
Jim

Angry, dysfunctional forums full of flame wars and arguments are pretty common. The formula for creating them seems to be: set up a forum and wait. OTOH harmonious forums where the members get along and are generally happy with the state of affairs seem quite rare, and the way they happen semi-spontaneously through some delicate balance of circumstances is pretty hard to fathom. So when a forum like that appears, why not just leave it alone? Making "improvements", however good the intentions, is all to likely to make things worse rather than better...

Joe

-- hide signature --

"Far away is close at hand in images of elsewhere."

very nicely put, Joe. Thanks!

l_objectif's gear list:l_objectif's gear list
Leica D-LUX 5 Nikon D300
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 8,366
Like?
In reply to Calvin Palmer, Nov 24, 2013

Calvin Palmer wrote:

Jim,

In this forum photographs are the most important element unlike many of the others where they are secondary to discussions of the latest iteration of particular camera models.

That sums it up.

I don't own a Leica camera, and own only one Leitz lens, but it is worth coming here to see the pictures. The same applies to the Leica forum on Getdpi.

You also have to remember that some people, such as myself, are former Leica owners who consider many of the forum members as friends and so like to stay in touch and what better way than to post a few photographs taken with whatever camera we happen to be shooting with these days, in my case a Ricoh GR.

I suppose it comes down to whether your interest is photography or the cameras that produce the photographs. It is, after all, Digital Photography Review rather than Digital Camera Review and the Leica Forum simply upholds that distinction.

How about "Anyone who owns a book of Cartier-Bresson photographs can post here" ?

RaajS
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,084Gear list
Like?
In reply to D Cox, Nov 24, 2013

D Cox wrote:

How about "Anyone who owns a book of Cartier-Bresson photographs can post here" ?

Love it!

-- hide signature --

'Change is not Mandatory, you don't have to Survive...'
SeekingLight.net

Pap38
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,476Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jim Evidon, Nov 24, 2013

I'm new posting here although I have followed this forum for sometime because of the excellent images and the friendliness of the conversation. I don't have a Leica, I wish I did, but my P&S uses a Leica lens and, at least for now, that's about as close as I am. Simply put, I guess I like the conversation and certainly the images. People make a forum as you understand, and the people here don't make a point on what camera was used if the image pleases them.

Pap

Pap38's gear list:Pap38's gear list
Olympus E-PL7
mgatov
Senior MemberPosts: 1,034Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jim Evidon, Nov 24, 2013

In the past I used an M6 with 3 Leica lenses.  Now... I'm relegated to the lesser ranks of using a Leica-designed lens on a Panasonic.  I like this forum because it is about the images.  Choi, Louis, Radcliff (when he was here), Irakley, and all the other contributors make this place special.  Perhaps we could change the name to "The forum with images that look good enough to have been taken with a Leica."

mgatov's gear list:mgatov's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D810
meagre offerings
Senior MemberPosts: 4,031Gear list
Like?
In reply to D Cox, Nov 24, 2013

Calvin Palmer wrote:

Jim,

In this forum photographs are the most important element unlike many of the others where they are secondary to discussions of the latest iteration of particular camera models.

That sums it up.

I don't own a Leica camera, and own only one Leitz lens, but it is worth coming here to see the pictures. The same applies to the Leica forum on Getdpi.

You also have to remember that some people, such as myself, are former Leica owners who consider many of the forum members as friends and so like to stay in touch and what better way than to post a few photographs taken with whatever camera we happen to be shooting with these days, in my case a Ricoh GR.

I suppose it comes down to whether your interest is photography or the cameras that produce the photographs. It is, after all, Digital Photography Review rather than Digital Camera Review and the Leica Forum simply upholds that distinction.

your a genius my friend, that's a much better idea than changing the forum name.

best

pc
--
http://www.pbase.com/meagre_offerings/street_photography

also a proud member of the `lesser leica owners club`.

meagre offerings's gear list:meagre offerings's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
Andrewteee
Senior MemberPosts: 2,424Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jim Evidon, Nov 25, 2013

I wonder the same thing. While my first reaction to this forum is that, oh my, they discuss photographs far more than the equipment, they also throw in a broad mix of camera brands (just read a post about the Nikon D300 with a Nikon lens on this forum). Nothing wrong with either, they are both vastly preferable to endless, tireless camera debates, but indeed, why call it the "Leica" forum? Why not call it a forum under the photography section, something like "Photographs Taken By Current and Former Leica Photographers"?

There is indeed lots of discussion and debate about Leica camera, just not here; that goes on on other sites.

Andrewteee's gear list:Andrewteee's gear list
Ricoh GR Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Pentax K-3 Nikon Df HD Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +2 more
Pap38
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,476Gear list
Like?
In reply to D Cox, Nov 25, 2013

Then I qualify twice.

Pap

Pap38's gear list:Pap38's gear list
Olympus E-PL7
Godfrey
Forum ProPosts: 27,591
Like?

Jim Evidon wrote:

On a forum called Leica Talk, why are there so many posting of images taken by other cameras? Other LTM or M mount cameras with M mount or LTM mount lenses, I can see. But images posted taken with various Japanese DSLR's and point and shoot cameras etc.? They may be lovely images worthy of posting and comment, but why post them on a Leica forum? As things stand, this is hardly a forum for Leica. Maybe I'll post Leica or possibly Fuji images on Nikon or Canon forums. On second thought, maybe I won't. I think I'll move on to a more serious camera forum.
Jim

Sigh. Another newbie who wants the forum to comply with his expectations rather than enjoying the forum for what it is.

Carry on.

-- hide signature --
Edward48
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,294Gear list
Like?

Why does this only ever seem to matter to people who normally never post here?

Mike

Edward48's gear list:Edward48's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Helge Aarvik
Regular MemberPosts: 112Gear list
Like?
In reply to Edward48, Nov 25, 2013

Hey, everyone!

I like this forum because of the focus on the pictures. I do have special interest in pictures posted with Leica cameras, but I don't mind pictures from other cameras as well. The picture matters more than the tool used to create it.

I hope in the future that this forum keeps an open mind and spirit

Helge Aarvik's gear list:Helge Aarvik's gear list
Leica X2 Nikon D7000 Leica M9-P Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH
l_objectif
Forum ProPosts: 17,360Gear list
Like?
Helge
In reply to Helge Aarvik, Nov 25, 2013

Helge Aarvik wrote:

Hey, everyone!

I hope in the future that this forum keeps an open mind and spirit

Dear Helge, this "forum" has always kept an open mind, spirit, civility, inspiration and friendship that we always believe would help us to improve our photography!... But a very few jumping in from other forums don't!

We see this kind of comments from people who are not familiar with this forum from time to time and it is really not very important!... The "spirit" of Leica is much more important for us than just a tool with a little red dot!

l_objectif's gear list:l_objectif's gear list
Leica D-LUX 5 Nikon D300
Helge Aarvik
Regular MemberPosts: 112Gear list
Like?
Re: Helge
In reply to l_objectif, Nov 25, 2013

Hey,

yes that is good. To clarify what I wrote:

I hope in the future that forum continues to keep an open mind and spirit!

Helge Aarvik's gear list:Helge Aarvik's gear list
Leica X2 Nikon D7000 Leica M9-P Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH
marcio_napoli
Contributing MemberPosts: 828
Like?
Not really a Leica forum
In reply to Helge Aarvik, Nov 25, 2013

Allow me to offer a different opinion (one that may not be well received at all).

I understand the spirit in this particular forum: it's gentle, open minded, and it's all about inspiration and friendship.

Photography is shared and encouraged, and that's very nice.

But one side effect, is that these things help very, very little to bring more photographers into the Leica world.

I mean, we're here at DP review, the World's largest gear oriented site, and if there's one possible place where people would go for Leica info (specially hands on experience), is exactly this forum.

But truth be told: info about gear is scarce here.

Too many threads about shots, and very few threads about gear, makes this forum pointless as a Leica "gear" forum.

For example:

I also shoot with Phase One and digital back. And there're few places on the internet where I can go to seek information.

One of these rare places is the Luminous Landscapes DMF forum, and there's tremendous amount of info being shared about digital backs there.

One folk over there had all the trouble to upload dozens of RAW files from a P45+, and even dedicated one section to compared the P45 against Sony A99.

One can freely download these RAWs, and make their own mind if a digi back is suited for his/her needs.

You can learn about all kinds of tech stuff (moire, DR, comparisons of MF sensors) and see images that support those claims.

Threads like that are common over there.

I mean, that forum works as a DMF ambassador.

As nice as this Leica forum is, it does very little to help Leica as a brand, and to help other fellow shooters adventure in the Leica world.

Not trying to stir the pot... just my honest 2 cents.

-- hide signature --

Marcio Napoli

www.marcionapoli.com

MichaelToyeImages
Contributing MemberPosts: 645Gear list
Like?
ask a question about gear then
In reply to marcio_napoli, Nov 25, 2013

I'm almost certain you'll get a helpful response.

Michael

MichaelToyeImages's gear list:MichaelToyeImages's gear list
Leica M-Monochrom Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH
Samaistuin
Regular MemberPosts: 377
Like?

I agree with the OP and nobody has actually answered his point.
All his thread got was "sigh", "bye", "but we discuss about pictures" and "good ambience".

marcio_napoli
Contributing MemberPosts: 828
Like?
Re: ask a question about gear then
In reply to MichaelToyeImages, Nov 25, 2013

Sure, Michael, I'm certain of that too.

But many folks won't go through the trouble of asking...

The info must be right there in the front page.

Another case I remember:

I'm a huge fan of CCD sensors, and always found the images produced by the M8 and M9 simply gorgeous.

I already had a strong bias, but never actually thought of buying the M9 (mostly because I can't afford hehe).

Sometime ago, I've found a link (don't ask me where, I really don't remember) with a bunch of beautiful M9 DNGs to download.

These samples we're delightful. Most were at the golden hour, wich highlights the punchy M9 colours and CCD rendering.

Most were also shot wide open, with stuning bokeh from the Leica glass.

After playing with these DNGs, it took me 2 months to get rid of the idea of buying a M9. I just got cured because I can't afford it hehe

I don't remember which site that was, but they almost made me a Leica shooter.

That's the kind of "service" I expect the Leica forum to perform.

Most of the time, sharing low res images won't do it.  Possible converts need to play with RAW files in order to jump in.

I mean, there're tons of D800, 5Ds samples to download everywhere...  but very few places you can actually get to know how M9 and M240 RAW files really perform.

That's when gear talk becomes useful and a healthy thing.

-- hide signature --

Marcio Napoli

www.marcionapoli.com

MichaelToyeImages
Contributing MemberPosts: 645Gear list
Like?
Re: ask a question about gear then
In reply to marcio_napoli, Nov 25, 2013

All valid points, but this forum isn't as well subscribed as the other forums. The Leica range isn't large or refreshed nearly so frequently as the major manufacturers.

There's also aren't too many teaching points with Leica being so manually oriented, so talk would move quickly to technique.

So, when the gear talk dies down, do we sit in front of a near stagnant forum?

No, we talk about our interest in photography and wait patiently for the next gear question

Michael

MichaelToyeImages's gear list:MichaelToyeImages's gear list
Leica M-Monochrom Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH
jameas
Forum MemberPosts: 93
Like?

In context, the OP has got a point. I too found the forum a different place to what I expected - and (if you forgive me) at first look bit of a boys self appreciation club....

However (and this is where I hope I can redeem myself regarding the self appreciation comment) I find I come back here frequently to look at the images posted - particularly from some regular posters - rather than "gear talk". Meagre Offerings probably hit the nail on the head when he pointed out that Leica release's are as rare as hens teeth and I think others have adequately pointed out the, perhaps, different ethos of Leica photographers (either through ownership, aspiration or presentation style).
It is here (and again in redemption - I'm working hard on this!) that posters/users/members do engage in a different way to most other forums. Perhaps this is simply the natural evolvement of a Leica community? And actually it is quite nice and civilized.

I'm happy (and I admit I am not a regular poster here) to leave as is.

I would suggest a new Leica Technical Forum but why invent something that already exists? There are alternative forums that provide this perfectly adequately elsewhere.
Hope I have not offended anyone,

James

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I get the urge to use Flickr....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jameseastwood/

jeff hladun
Senior MemberPosts: 2,044
Like?
In reply to Samaistuin, Nov 25, 2013

Samaistuin wrote:

I agree with the OP and nobody has actually answered his point.
All his thread got was "sigh", "bye", "but we discuss about pictures" and "good ambience".

I get the feeling Jim is unaware that there are many images posted here made with non-Leica camera bodies with Leica-built or Leica-designed lenses. The Panasonics in particular spring to mind. In this Forum, these have always been considered inclusive - please check the charter. Further, specially mounted Leica lenses on bodies such as Canon and Nikon are welcome for discussion. I expect very soon we'll see many images on the forum taken with Leica lenses using the Sony A7/r bodies.

The remainder of posts of images using non-Leica equipment are actually few and far between. I'm not a big fan of the practise - plenty of Forum members will acknowledge that - as I always thought some day the Forum would be over-run with non-Leica pictures. (A good compromise would be a general, on-going thread for non-Leica images...) At present this is not an issue; the Leica Forum has yet to turn into a gateway of non-Leica photographs.

Generally speaking, those 'foreign' images have good reason to be posted here; more often than not, they are presented by long-time members of the forum who, quite frankly, through their attention to the works of others, their constructive comments, and critical insight, simply add to the Forum culture. As far as I'm concerned, it's a trust-through-intimacy that gives them the right.

More so, I'll go even further and suggest that Leica users that simply drop in to show-off their latest image, or to announce their latest rewards without taking the time to comment on the threads of others, are usually given short-shrift by the regular contributors here. In a manner, it works both ways.

There is a fluid give and take, and an interesting dynamic which makes this forum unique. I'd like to think it's the unstated belief that the foundation of our efforts and contributions lies in the simple, simple desire to make better photographs. Shouldn't that be the aspiration of all photography forums?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads