Why is this called "Leica Talk" ?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Jim Evidon
Contributing MemberPosts: 505Gear list
Like?
Why is this called "Leica Talk" ?
10 months ago

On a forum called Leica Talk, why are there so many posting of images taken by other cameras? Other LTM or M mount cameras with M mount or LTM mount lenses, I can see. But images posted taken with various Japanese DSLR's and point and shoot cameras etc.? They may be lovely images worthy of posting and comment, but why post them on a Leica forum? As things stand, this is hardly a forum for Leica. Maybe I'll post Leica or possibly Fuji images on Nikon or Canon forums. On second thought, maybe I won't. I think I'll move on to a more serious camera forum.
Jim

Jim Evidon's gear list:Jim Evidon's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm XF1 Leica M9 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +2 more
JDLaing
Senior MemberPosts: 1,728Gear list
Like?
Re: Why is this called "Leica Talk" ?
In reply to Jim Evidon, 10 months ago

Good bye and best wishes wherever you post.

We like it here.

JDLaing's gear list:JDLaing's gear list
Leica M8.2 Leica M9-P Leica M Typ 240 Leica Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Daedalus2000
Senior MemberPosts: 4,169
Like?

Jim Evidon wrote:

On a forum called Leica Talk, why are there so many posting of images taken by other cameras? Other LTM or M mount cameras with M mount or LTM mount lenses, I can see. But images posted taken with various Japanese DSLR's and point and shoot cameras etc.? They may be lovely images worthy of posting and comment, but why post them on a Leica forum? As things stand, this is hardly a forum for Leica. Maybe I'll post Leica or possibly Fuji images on Nikon or Canon forums. On second thought, maybe I won't. I think I'll move on to a more serious camera forum.
Jim

Hi Jim,

Simply because this is more than just a Leica forum. Surely that makes it a moreserious forum, rather than a less serious one!

Having said that I looked at the top 20-30 threads and I could not really find many non-Leica images, especially in the original posts.

Best, D

Jim Evidon
Like?
In reply to Daedalus2000, 10 months ago

Daedalus2000 wrote:

Hi Jim,

Simply because this is more than just a Leica forum. Surely that makes it a moreserious forum, rather than a less serious one!

Having said that I looked at the top 20-30 threads and I could not really find many non-Leica images, especially in the original posts.

Best, D

I have no problem with the images posted. Some of them are quite good. I just don't know why the Forum is called Leica when there are so many postings by non-Leica cameras and owners. I go to Rangefinder Forum and read and post in in the Leica sub-forum. I go to the Leica Users Forum which limits participation to Leica users. Every day I go to the FujiX and the Olympus SLR forums here in DP Review and the postings and images are exclusively from those cameras. In general, camera owners like to keep up with the goings on of owners of their particular camera, not out of some sort of snobbery, but for information and shared interest. When they want to see what is going on with other camera specific forums, they are able to view those as well, and I do so.

My point was that this is only a Leica forum in name only when a significant number of participants own and display the work of other cameras.
Jim

Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm XF1 Leica M9 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +2 more
RaajS
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,021Gear list
Like?

Jim Evidon wrote:

Daedalus2000 wrote:

Hi Jim,

Best, D

I have no problem with the images posted. Some of them are quite good. I just don't know why the Forum is called Leica when there are so many postings by non-Leica cameras and owners. I go to Rangefinder Forum and read and post in in the Leica sub-forum. I go to the Leica Users Forum which limits participation to Leica users. Every day I go to the FujiX and the Olympus SLR forums here in DP Review and the postings and images are exclusively from those cameras. In general, camera owners like to keep up with the goings on of owners of their particular camera, not out of some sort of snobbery, but for information and shared interest. When they want to see what is going on with other camera specific forums, they are able to view those as well, and I do so.

My point was that this is only a Leica forum in name only when a significant number of participants own and display the work of other cameras.
Jim

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds...

Seriously, this forum is one of the best @ Dpreview because of the community here. To your point about shared interests, the shared interest here is photography, mainly with Leicas but not exclusively. So if it is a Leica forum only in name, it doesn't appear to bother many of us.

Look forward to your contribution to the forum even if only restricted to Leicas.

Cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

'Change is not Mandatory, you don't have to Survive...'
SeekingLight.net

porrsha
Contributing MemberPosts: 616Gear list
Like?

Jim,

There was a time when I could have started a thread like you have because I have wondered the same things on occaision but have found that I enjoy the diversity of pictures offered by all who post them here. My heresy is to put big clunky (relatively) R lenses on the nice M body and then see members shoot with the Leica "point and shoot" and make me wonder if I made a mistake investing in the M body! Clearly one can always learn something here.

Wayne

porrsha's gear list:porrsha's gear list
Leica D-LUX 3 Leica M Typ 240
user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,729Gear list
Like?

Exactly how much is a "significant" number?

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
Brief Encounter
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?

Jim

I only joined this forum a few weeks ago and the main reason was precisely because it is a forum where people post photos from any camera although generally Leicas are involved somewhere. That and the fact it is a very civilised place to share and appreciate all kinds of photography.

I find that Leica photography is as much about a state of mind as it is about the actual gear used. Buying my first Leica was an introduction into a whole new way of photography and changed the way I approached things. These days whether I shoot with the Monochrom or the GR just depends on which camera I happen to have with me at the time, the way I photograph is gear independent.

Brief Encounter's gear list:Brief Encounter's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS-1D X Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +2 more
Calvin Palmer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,796
Like?

Jim,

In this forum photographs are the most important element unlike many of the others where they are secondary to discussions of the latest iteration of particular camera models.

You also have to remember that some people, such as myself, are former Leica owners who consider many of the forum members as friends and so like to stay in touch and what better way than to post a few photographs taken with whatever camera we happen to be shooting with these days, in my case a Ricoh GR.

I suppose it comes down to whether your interest is photography or the cameras that produce the photographs. It is, after all, Digital Photography Review rather than Digital Camera Review and the Leica Forum simply upholds that distinction.

Cadder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,417
Like?
In reply to Calvin Palmer, 10 months ago

Calvin Palmer wrote:

Jim,

You also have to remember that some people, such as myself, are former Leica owners who consider many of the forum members as friends and so like to stay in touch

I suppose it comes down to whether your interest is photography or the cameras that produce the photographs. It is, after all, Digital Photography Review rather than Digital Camera Review and the Leica Forum simply upholds that distinction.

Well said!

Cadder

Michael Everett
Senior MemberPosts: 1,717
Like?
In reply to Calvin Palmer, 10 months ago

Calvin Palmer wrote:

Jim,

In this forum photographs are the most important element unlike many of the others where they are secondary to discussions of the latest iteration of particular camera models.

You also have to remember that some people, such as myself, are former Leica owners who consider many of the forum members as friends and so like to stay in touch and what better way than to post a few photographs taken with whatever camera we happen to be shooting with these days, in my case a Ricoh GR.

+1 to this and several other responses.  I post here sometimes, and I do not have a Leica or Leica lens.  Then why do i do it?  Because first this is the most civilized forum on DPr by far.  Second the Leica people are more interested in photography than arguing about gear, although to be fair there are many legitimate questions about gear.  Third the photographers here are excellent, the conversations useful, and people like me learn a lot.  Fourth although I don't have a Leica, I have an ILC with which I use MF lenses almost exclusively.  Consequently my approach to photography has a certain affinty to the Leica approach.

I for one greatly appreciate that Leica owners are so open-minded about this forum.

Michael

Jim Evidon
Like?

There is nothing wrong at all with the forum content. As I said, some of the images are quite good and there is always a place for posting and critiquing images. As a competition chairman of our local camera club, I am very sensitive to high image quality and content. It would really make more sense to call the forum "Image Talk"or some such rather than having it sound camera specific like Leica Talk. It just makes more sense, at least to me.
Jim

Joe Pineapples
Senior MemberPosts: 2,000Gear list
Like?

Jim Evidon wrote:

There is nothing wrong at all with the forum content. As I said, some of the images are quite good and there is always a place for posting and critiquing images. As a competition chairman of our local camera club, I am very sensitive to high image quality and content. It would really make more sense to call the forum "Image Talk"or some such rather than having it sound camera specific like Leica Talk. It just makes more sense, at least to me.
Jim

Angry, dysfunctional forums full of flame wars and arguments are pretty common. The formula for creating them seems to be: set up a forum and wait. OTOH harmonious forums where the members get along and are generally happy with the state of affairs seem quite rare, and the way they happen semi-spontaneously through some delicate balance of circumstances is pretty hard to fathom. So when a forum like that appears, why not just leave it alone?  Making "improvements", however good the intentions, is all to likely to make things worse rather than better...

Joe

-- hide signature --

"Far away is close at hand in images of elsewhere."

Joe Pineapples's gear list:Joe Pineapples's gear list
Ricoh GR
bosjohn
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,890
Like?

I am willing to bet the farm almost all if not all we Leica shooters have other cameras as well but we are primarily Leica shooters. I am guessing that about eighty percent of the images I show here were taken with an M9 M6  M4 M4.2 a few M2 lots of M2's M3 and a few CL's which doesn't included the screw mounts I have posted images from.

but the problem with or perhaps the most endearing thing about this forum is there isn't a lot of gear talk as Leica does't change things and introduce new products every month nor do they alter the appeal of the M much over the years. There is only so much we can say about how good the summicrons are or how great the m what ever is. so we show our images the vast majority of which are shot with Leica's or Leica lenses or Leica bodies with strange and wonderful lenses or even the other camera in our bag. but Philosophically and practically we are Leica shooters. We see the world through the range finder or we feel Leica glass is the tops. There is this bit of a myth that there is a leica look but make no mistake there is most surely a Leica vision of the world in front of the camera which carries over into our use of other cameras.

We welcome everyone here Leica owner or not and as far as I am concerned this is by a long shot the best forum on dpreview and better than most strictly Leica forums.  I tried the range finder forum and it was about as exciting as watching paint peeling.  While I am not opposed to a new name be assured this is and should be and will be at heart the Leica forum

-- hide signature --

bosjohn aka John Shick bosjohn@yahoo.com

meagre offerings
Senior MemberPosts: 3,820Gear list
Like?

Jim

bye
--
http://www.pbase.com/meagre_offerings/street_photography

also a proud member of the `lesser leica owners club`.

meagre offerings's gear list:meagre offerings's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
TThorne
Senior MemberPosts: 2,463Gear list
Like?
In reply to meagre offerings, 10 months ago

meagre offerings wrote:

Jim

bye
--
http://www.pbase.com/meagre_offerings/street_photography

also a proud member of the `lesser leica owners club`.

Totally.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

TThorne's gear list:TThorne's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7S Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +5 more
olivier_777
Contributing MemberPosts: 798Gear list
Like?

Jim

Funny, this discussion starts again here about every quarter, it´s like watching the cycle of seasons, you made me realise that winter is coming ...

If the question was legitimate you should have avoided the last comment. Why would a forum be less serious because it is more open minded and more curious about photography than gear?

olivier_777's gear list:olivier_777's gear list
Leica M8 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7
TThorne
Senior MemberPosts: 2,463Gear list
Like?
In reply to TThorne, 10 months ago

Just wanted to add that this is a great forum and there are great people here, most of whom shoot Leica, some of whom shoot something else, and none of whom really care. Here is something I have learned since beginning with Leica and participating in this forum. That chip, the big heavy one that resides on the shoulders of certain camera owners, it just isn't there with these guys. Leica shooters, the ones that actually shoot and not wear the camera like jewelry, love photography first, and love any number of cameras from any number of manufacturers.

We don't argue about which camera produces less noise at 6400 ISO.

We love M43 cameras as well as APSC and FF, would shoot any format we could get our hands on, and wouldn't feel the need to declare that one the best just because it is the one we purchased.

We appreciate advancements in imaging technology, and do not see them as a threat to our egos, as we are reasonable enough to know that the next latest and greatest is always around the corner.

We shoot what we love to shoot because we make a connection with it, not because of some chart or test scene.

The content of the image is always more important than the camera it was shot with.

I could go on and on, but you get the picture. And this is more than enough to explain why the Leica Talk forum is not tolerant, but instead flat out welcoming of all photographers with interesting moments and stories to share.

Disclaimer: I know I used the word "we" a lot in this post. Sorry. I did not mean to suggest that I speak for the forum, Leica shooters as a whole, or any group of individuals. The use of "we" was more of a literary device in this context, and not meant to offend anyone. People may feel differently, and perhaps these are just reflections of my own personal feelings, but I feel like these ideas will connect with at least a few people here that I know.

ALSO, a special shout out to the Ricoh forum, which, in my opinion, has always been a class act as well.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

TThorne's gear list:TThorne's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7S Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +5 more
Brief Encounter
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?
In reply to TThorne, 10 months ago

Very well articulated, I will happily agree with everything you said so the "we" is at least two people but I suspect it's actually many more.

Brief Encounter's gear list:Brief Encounter's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS-1D X Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +2 more
RaajS
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,021Gear list
Like?
In reply to Brief Encounter, 10 months ago

Brief Encounter wrote:

Very well articulated, I will happily agree with everything you said so the "we" is at least two people but I suspect it's actually many more.

Agree with Nick - well said Thomas.   You can certainly add me to the "we" as well.

As to the OPs comment about renaming this forum "Image Talk", I wonder how the OP would feel if a guest to a party at his home started rearranging the furniture...

Cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

'Change is not Mandatory, you don't have to Survive...'
SeekingLight.net

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads