Which Cam too this Pic? GX7, E-PL5, GX1 or S90

Started 10 months ago | Polls
BolleDuc
Regular MemberPosts: 234Gear list
Like?
Which Cam too this Pic? GX7, E-PL5, GX1 or S90
10 months ago

Sometimes I can see the difference in an Oly vs Pana colour war, sometimes I can't. Fortunately, whenever I fall into one of the those happy accidents (i.e. a pic worth framing or enlarging!) it doesn't seem to matter what cam it comes from so this is just for fun & to see if I'm the only one lost in the colour wilderness!

Which cam do you think this pic came from? It's a greatly reduced jpeg, straight from the camera so you don't have all the details at your disposal, I know.

Screen Crop - Toronto

BolleDuc's gear list:BolleDuc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Canon PowerShot S90 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus PEN E-PM2 +5 more
POLL
Panasonic GX7
6.9% 2  votes
Olympus E-PL5
27.6% 8  votes
Panasonic GX1
24.1% 7  votes
Canon S90
41.4% 12  votes
  Show results
Canon PowerShot S90 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
duartix
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,494Gear list
Like?
Re: Which Cam too this Pic? GX7, E-PL5, GX1 or S90
In reply to BolleDuc, 10 months ago

OOC I'd say it's definitely a Panasonic, but it's irrelevant if it shoots RAW.
But then again since I never shoot JPEG I might be going out on a limb...

-- hide signature --

Duarte Bruno

duartix's gear list:duartix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,507
Like?

BolleDuc wrote:

Which cam do you think this pic came from?

I had a Canon G10 for a while. Nice camera. Pic reminds me of that output, so I'll say the S90

Trevor Carpenter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,367
Like?

I'd put it as the Oly because the colours look slightly overcooked bit it could be any because 1/2 stop underexposed would have created the same effect  That's why it the whole colour comparison is ridiculous because it assumes that every picture had been perfectly exposed and that is rarely the case.

-- hide signature --
BolleDuc
Like?
In reply to duartix, 10 months ago

Hi Bruno,

Click one of the Panasonic options to balance out the load! The guys have gone one each way on the Oly & the Canon.

I am amazed that the response is so light, usually the Oly vs Pana colour wars are vehemently contested. Maybe I'm not alone in not being able to tell them apart, when the two are not aligned together.

And I realise that RAW obviates the need for much of the discussion but this really was just for fun. Of course, in the real world, sometimes I'm lazy & the jpeg will do!

Paul

PS - I assumed Bruno was your first name & Duarte the family name, please excuse me if I got this wrong.

-- hide signature --

Dilettante - my hobby is buying & selling cameras not photography!
Panasonic GX7, Olympus E-PL5, Panasonic GX1 & Canon S90 (IR Converted 590nm)

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Canon PowerShot S90 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus PEN E-PM2 +5 more
honeyiscool
Contributing MemberPosts: 951Gear list
Like?

I like how the first three responses say: definitely Panasonic, definitely Canon, definitely Olympus.

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Wallybipster
Contributing MemberPosts: 823Gear list
Like?

BolleDuc wrote:

I am amazed that the response is so light, usually the Oly vs Pana colour wars are vehemently contested.

That's probably why the traffic is so light, all the people who act like there is a huge difference aren't so sure and don't want to be wrong.

Wally

Wallybipster's gear list:Wallybipster's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
superstar905
Senior MemberPosts: 1,150Gear list
Like?

I think I see rob ford

brentbrent
Contributing MemberPosts: 868Gear list
Like?
S90

I think the GX1 can do better than that, so a fortiori it's not the GX7 or EPL5.  That leaves the S90.

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +9 more
BolleDuc
Like?
Re: Which Cam took this Pic? It was the ... ANSWER

Hi Guys,

Despite the statistical insignificance of the low voter turnout, I am delighted to find a few others that share my inability to differentiate but perhaps more importantly, we are okay with that. This was impossible of course, no insight on settings, low res copy, no comparative pics, etc.

The guilty camera was .... drum roll ..... the GX7, the lowest polling candidate! I think the low res copy posted influenced many to the low end, hence the votes going to the S90. And the cam was on the Vivid output which, on the GX7, I find quite similar to Oly output.

Thanks all for playing along, it was fun & i think I'll find it easier to skip over future Oly vs Pana wars now.

Paul

-- hide signature --

Simon Cowell
Senior MemberPosts: 2,498
Like?

Thanks for the answer and probably you're right that the latest Panasonic models have much better colour and they are much closer to Olympus in this respect.

Would you care explaining what kind of resizing/PP you have done to the image because, on my monitor at least, there is obvious posterization in the sky part.

BolleDuc
Like?
In reply to Simon Cowell, 10 months ago

Simon Cowell wrote:

Thanks for the answer and probably you're right that the latest Panasonic models have much better colour and they are much closer to Olympus in this respect.

Would you care explaining what kind of resizing/PP you have done to the image because, on my monitor at least, there is obvious posterization in the sky part.

No processing beyond the downsizing, which I admit is severe & was accomplished by using "save for web" in PSE. This strips the exif & it dramatically downsizes which of course was ideal for this exercise but it does give the posterization in full view. This makes it look very "small sensor" & likely why the S90 "won" by a large margin.

It feels like this topic comes up two or three times a week & I just thought this was a slightly different approach. The result puts the generally adjustable & insignificant differences into perspective with a cross section of sensors from both sides, including some of the later variants.

Paul

-- hide signature --

duartix
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,494Gear list
Like?

duartix wrote:

So, I was half right! (I ended up voting for GX-1)

-- hide signature --

Duarte Bruno

duartix's gear list:duartix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
BolleDuc
Like?

duartix wrote:

duartix wrote:

So, I was half right! (I ended up voting for GX-1)

-- hide signature --

Duarte Bruno

Pretty close, Bruno, that's worth a DP Silver!

Paul

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads