Please post your A7/r settings here

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
radissimo
Regular MemberPosts: 108Gear list
Like?
Please post your A7/r settings here
8 months ago

Hi, I just got my A7 and wondering what are the most useful setting you guys can recommend to change out of the box. I listed my preference, let me know what you think

Radissimo settings- e.g.what I changed:

( listed from beginning to end, or from left to right)

1) image quality Fine-> extraFine

2) Focus Mode-> DMF (shows peaking always ON)

3) Focus area ->center spot

4) AF illuminator --> Off (?more quicker focusing,less annoying)

5) ISO--> Auto ISO (min:100 max:6400)

6) DRO/HDR--> Off (prefer to be done in PP)

7) Focus Magnif. time--> No limit

8) Peaking level --> High ( on my Nex-6 I had Low)

9)Phase Detect Area--> On (helps me to stay without that area for faster focusing + reminds me a viewfinder of old SLR

10) release w/o lens --> Enable

11) e-front curtain shutter--> ON (A7 only, needs more research if not damaging the picture quality as some posters noticed)

12) APS-C size capture--> Off (as I am using my 35mm f1.8 OSS lens with acceptable vignetting)

13) Dial Wheel --> Lock (as too easy to change ISO)

14) Display Rotation--> Auto

15) Mode dial guide--> On (not need to look on the dial only)

Outstanding questions:

A) what is your Creative style preference (Std/Vivid? Contrast /Sat/sharpness?)

B) AF micro adjustment (cogwheel, menu 5)??

C) Lens Comp--?? all AUTO

D) YOUR CUSTOM FUNCTION MENU SETTINGS?

E) YOUR CUSTOM KEY SETTINGS (C1,C2,C3) ?

F) YOUR CUSTOM MAIN DIAL SETTINGS?

 radissimo's gear list:radissimo's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
radissimo
Regular MemberPosts: 108Gear list
Like?
Re: Please post your A7/r settings here
In reply to radissimo, 8 months ago

My current Custom button settings:

C1: DRO/HDR

C2: Memory (Register) - to easy switch between modes id memory without turning the Mode dial

C3: Color Peaking (as manual focusing 90% and switching between day/night -some peaking colors beter the other in certain conditions)

AEL button: Magnification for MF

SCN mode: Handheld twilight

Cheers,

Rado

 radissimo's gear list:radissimo's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jonathan Robson
Contributing MemberPosts: 843Gear list
Like?
Re: Please post your A7/r settings here
In reply to radissimo, 8 months ago

I think the micro adjustments only apply if you're using the LEA adapters for A mount lenses, its not applicable otherwise.

-- hide signature --

'When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown in
to the sea.' - Eric Cantona
http://bornred.net

 Jonathan Robson's gear list:Jonathan Robson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Nikon 1 V1 Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
turnstyle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,571
Like?
Re: Please post your A7/r settings here
In reply to radissimo, 8 months ago

Is AutoHDR available if you're shooting RAW?

I know AutoHDR will save a JPG, but do you have to switch to JPG first before you can select AutoHDR?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Blitz
Regular MemberPosts: 147
Like?
Re: Please post your A7/r settings here
In reply to radissimo, 8 months ago

hi,

i have one question: where can i switch off the window for the magnification when pressing the ael buttom for manual focussing ? currently i need to press it twice which is annoying and not like my nex7, first press the focus area window appears, second press the magnification is there....

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
YankeeUK
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
Re: Please post your A7/r settings here
In reply to radissimo, 8 months ago

Great idea for a thread, gathering up all the collective wisdom from the forums on settings. I just got mine yesterday and I haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet.

Thanks.

 YankeeUK's gear list:YankeeUK's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
radissimo
Regular MemberPosts: 108Gear list
Like?
Re: Please post your A7/r settings here
In reply to Blitz, 8 months ago

Blitz wrote:

hi,

i have one question: where can i switch off the window for the magnification when pressing the ael buttom for manual focussing ? currently i need to press it twice which is annoying and not like my nex7, first press the focus area window appears, second press the magnification is there....

This is annoying me as well, anybody knows?

 radissimo's gear list:radissimo's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NEXFULLFRAME
Regular MemberPosts: 264
Like?
Re: Please post your A7/r settings here
In reply to radissimo, 8 months ago

radissimo wrote:

Blitz wrote:

hi,

i have one question: where can i switch off the window for the magnification when pressing the ael buttom for manual focussing ? currently i need to press it twice which is annoying and not like my nex7, first press the focus area window appears, second press the magnification is there....

This is annoying me as well, anybody knows?

Me too!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NEXFULLFRAME
Regular MemberPosts: 264
Like?
Re: Please post your A7/r settings here
In reply to radissimo, 8 months ago

Great thread! I'd like to know if there's a way to review the shot (chimping) with magnified view to check critical focus using a button other than c2. I find it's quite difficult to reach c2 and it's a very common operation for me.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
navierb
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
Re: Please post your A7/r settings here
In reply to NEXFULLFRAME, 8 months ago

NEXFULLFRAME wrote:

Great thread! I'd like to know if there's a way to review the shot (chimping) with magnified view to check critical focus using a button other than c2. I find it's quite difficult to reach c2 and it's a very common operation for me.

In the Nex-6 was perfect with the OK-Button! Why the change!?!?!

At least, once is zoomed with C2, you can zoom-in/out with the rear dial 

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
navierb
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
Re: Please post your A7/r settings here
In reply to navierb, 8 months ago

I made a Table with which Functions can be assigned to which Buttons or Fn-List:

A7 Assignable Functions (Dropbox)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
D©P Images
Regular MemberPosts: 256
Like?
Re: Please post your A7/r settings here
In reply to radissimo, 7 months ago

radissimo wrote:

Hi, I just got my A7 and wondering what are the most useful setting you guys can recommend to change out of the box. I listed my preference, let me know what you think

Radissimo settings- e.g.what I changed:

( listed from beginning to end, or from left to right)

1) image quality Fine-> extraFine

2) Focus Mode-> DMF (shows peaking always ON)

3) Focus area ->center spot

4) AF illuminator --> Off (?more quicker focusing,less annoying)

5) ISO--> Auto ISO (min:100 max:6400)

6) DRO/HDR--> Off (prefer to be done in PP)

7) Focus Magnif. time--> No limit

8) Peaking level --> High ( on my Nex-6 I had Low)

9)Phase Detect Area--> On (helps me to stay without that area for faster focusing + reminds me a viewfinder of old SLR

10) release w/o lens --> Enable

11) e-front curtain shutter--> ON (A7 only, needs more research if not damaging the picture quality as some posters noticed)

12) APS-C size capture--> Off (as I am using my 35mm f1.8 OSS lens with acceptable vignetting)

13) Dial Wheel --> Lock (as too easy to change ISO)

14) Display Rotation--> Auto

15) Mode dial guide--> On (not need to look on the dial only)

Outstanding questions:

A) what is your Creative style preference (Std/Vivid? Contrast /Sat/sharpness?)

B) AF micro adjustment (cogwheel, menu 5)??

C) Lens Comp--?? all AUTO

D) YOUR CUSTOM FUNCTION MENU SETTINGS?

E) YOUR CUSTOM KEY SETTINGS (C1,C2,C3) ?

F) YOUR CUSTOM MAIN DIAL SETTINGS?

Bump. Interesting thread!

d

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lancefurr
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: Please post your A7/r settings here
In reply to radissimo, 5 months ago

Noob question: What is the benefit of changing the focus area to center spot from it's wide default? I tried researching online but couldn't find a clear answer. Thanks

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fredy Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,279
Like?
I have an a7r
In reply to Lancefurr, 5 months ago

would the recommended settings be the same as an a7?

-- hide signature --

fredyr

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,177Gear list
Like?
Re: Please post your A7/r settings here
In reply to radissimo, 5 months ago

radissimo wrote:

Hi, I just got my A7 and wondering what are the most useful setting you guys can recommend to change out of the box. I listed my preference, let me know what you think

Radissimo settings- e.g.what I changed:

( listed from beginning to end, or from left to right)

1) image quality Fine-> extraFine

Raw + jpg. If you use jpg, you should drop sharpness and noise correction a bit.

2) Focus Mode-> DMF (shows peaking always ON)

I like this setting too.

3) Focus area ->center spot

It's useful, but the others have their use.

4) AF illuminator --> Off (?more quicker focusing,less annoying)

On. Does it always come on? I think it only comes on when it needs it.

5) ISO--> Auto ISO (min:100 max:6400)

Never auto, I put ISO settings on the dial.

6) DRO/HDR--> Off (prefer to be done in PP)

DRO on this camera works well. Don't confuse DRO with HDR.

7) Focus Magnif. time--> No limit

Yep

8) Peaking level --> High ( on my Nex-6 I had Low)

For wide angle, yes. For Telephoto, high.

9)Phase Detect Area--> On (helps me to stay without that area for faster focusing + reminds me a viewfinder of old SLR

? Not sure what you mean.

10) release w/o lens --> Enable

Yep.

11) e-front curtain shutter--> ON (A7 only, needs more research if not damaging the picture quality as some posters noticed)

Same.

12) APS-C size capture--> Off (as I am using my 35mm f1.8 OSS lens with acceptable vignetting)

13) Dial Wheel --> Lock (as too easy to change ISO)

Why worry about it changing ISO if you have auto ISO on?

14) Display Rotation--> Auto

Yep

15) Mode dial guide--> On (not need to look on the dial only)

Outstanding questions:

A) what is your Creative style preference (Std/Vivid? Contrast /Sat/sharpness?)

B) AF micro adjustment (cogwheel, menu 5)??

C) Lens Comp--?? all AUTO

D) YOUR CUSTOM FUNCTION MENU SETTINGS?

E) YOUR CUSTOM KEY SETTINGS (C1,C2,C3) ?

F) YOUR CUSTOM MAIN DIAL SETTINGS?

A) I use std because I use RAW. You can apply that later in Lightroom.

B) No need to keep this on a handy button. Once you've compensated a lens, you don't need it.

C) Off - do it in post processing

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
halfmonkey
Regular MemberPosts: 143Gear list
Like?
Re: Please post your A7/r settings here
In reply to radissimo, 5 months ago

I should have my A7 with Zeiss 55mm FE baby in the next few days and once I have chance to play with it, I'll be sure to post my settings to share. Can't wait...

 halfmonkey's gear list:halfmonkey's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dave92029
Contributing MemberPosts: 667Gear list
Like?
Center spot
In reply to halfmonkey, 5 months ago

I like to use center spot, BUT the A7 has IMHO an annoying requirement that I must select Center Spot again each time I want to shoot in order to be able to move the center spot around the frame, which is one of the reasons I prefer this focus mode.

In order to compose a shot where the subject isn't in the center the A7 requires that I must  re-select center spot,  this doesn't take a lot of time but you may miss the shot by needing to confirm that you want Center Spot AND want the ability to relocate the spot!

I have programmed one  of the function buttons, but my Olympus Always allows me to move the center spot if I select that focus mode. I wish Sony would Fix this Issue?

Dave

 dave92029's gear list:dave92029's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jerry Fusselman
Regular MemberPosts: 421Gear list
Like?
Thanks for the helpful table
In reply to navierb, 1 week ago

navierb wrote:

I made a Table with which Functions can be assigned to which Buttons or Fn-List:

A7 Assignable Functions (Dropbox)

It took me a minute to figure out what this is.  It is very useful for configuring my Sony Alpha A7r/s cameras. Thanks so much!

-- hide signature --

Jerry Fusselman

 Jerry Fusselman's gear list:Jerry Fusselman's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 100D +40 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads