Best Value DSLR - Sony A58

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Vikas Rana
Contributing MemberPosts: 805Gear list
Like?
Re: Haha!
In reply to DaPonti, 11 months ago

DaPonti wrote:

Vikas Rana wrote:

The reason of difference in exposure is SUN. Even a child can tell that on 1st images SUN is on the top left and on second its was just on the right side of the last shot. No DLSR in this world that can handle SUN directly without any special filters!!!

The iPhone can do it... I hope camera will soon enough.

Good one.. Just show a sample here that have the SUN on one end.

 Vikas Rana's gear list:Vikas Rana's gear list
Sony SLT-A58 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II Adobe Photoshop CS6
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DaPonti
Regular MemberPosts: 378Gear list
Like?
Re: Haha!
In reply to Vikas Rana, 11 months ago

Vikas Rana wrote:

DaPonti wrote:

Vikas Rana wrote:

The reason of difference in exposure is SUN. Even a child can tell that on 1st images SUN is on the top left and on second its was just on the right side of the last shot. No DLSR in this world that can handle SUN directly without any special filters!!!

The iPhone can do it... I hope camera will soon enough.

Good one.. Just show a sample here that have the SUN on one end.

See here for some explanation: http://connect.dpreview.com/post/7518611407/apple-iphone5s-camera-review?page=4

The sample doesn't have the sun but in terms of exposure it's already much better than what you can do with an SLT. All the cameras I tried, by opposition, lock the exposure before you start the panorama. So you have to meter for the bright side before moving the camera to your start position to avoid burnt highlights.

 DaPonti's gear list:DaPonti's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX5 Sony SLT-A58 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Pixelmator Chameleon
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vikas Rana
Contributing MemberPosts: 805Gear list
Like?
Re: Haha!
In reply to DaPonti, 11 months ago

Not much different from my shots, SUN is just above the top left and showing the side-effects, I've pointed out different exposure levels in this shot. Also the right side is very high in contrast!!

DaPonti wrote:

Vikas Rana wrote:

DaPonti wrote:

Vikas Rana wrote:

The reason of difference in exposure is SUN. Even a child can tell that on 1st images SUN is on the top left and on second its was just on the right side of the last shot. No DLSR in this world that can handle SUN directly without any special filters!!!

The iPhone can do it... I hope camera will soon enough.

Good one.. Just show a sample here that have the SUN on one end.

See here for some explanation: http://connect.dpreview.com/post/7518611407/apple-iphone5s-camera-review?page=4

The sample doesn't have the sun but in terms of exposure it's already much better than what you can do with an SLT. All the cameras I tried, by opposition, lock the exposure before you start the panorama. So you have to meter for the bright side before moving the camera to your start position to avoid burnt highlights.

 Vikas Rana's gear list:Vikas Rana's gear list
Sony SLT-A58 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II Adobe Photoshop CS6
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Count Biscotti
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?
Re: Best Value DSLR - Sony A58
In reply to tbcass, 10 months ago

I'm trying to figure out if I want an A65 or A77, and given that you have just bought the A77, I thought you'd be the guy to ask. The big advantage I see in the A65 is weight. Heavier cameras tend to get left at home. Is the autofocus that much better on the A77? Doesn't seem so to me. How about the GPS? Are they both about as good as what you find from TomTom or Garmin these days?? Would like to know. Thanks in advance...

 Count Biscotti's gear list:Count Biscotti's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW110 Canon EOS 450D Sony SLT-A37 Nikon D5300 Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,306Gear list
Like?
Re: Best Value DSLR - Sony A58
In reply to Count Biscotti, 10 months ago

I don't like how the noise sets in at ISO 200 and up on the A65 and A77.

 123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
seilerbird666
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101
Like?
Re: ROTFLMAO
In reply to tbcass, 10 months ago

tbcass wrote:

seilerbird666 wrote:

The a58 does not have a GPS built in so therefore it is not the 'best value dslr'. The a55 beats the heck out of the the a58.

The A55 is long discontinued so it wouldn't be eligible for consideration. It was also $750 when new.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SLT-A55V-Translucent-Technology-Panorama/dp/B0043V2PW8/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386330837&sr=1-2&keywords=a55+sony

-- hide signature --

My photos:
picasaweb.google.com/seilerbird

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 18,185Gear list
Like?
Re: ROTFLMAO
In reply to seilerbird666, 10 months ago

seilerbird666 wrote:

tbcass wrote:

The A55 is long discontinued so it wouldn't be eligible for consideration. It was also $750 when new.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SLT-A55V-Translucent-Technology-Panorama/dp/B0043V2PW8/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386330837&sr=1-2&keywords=a55+sony

$439 for a used A55. Not that good a deal.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Miss use of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 18,185Gear list
Like?
Re: Best Value DSLR - Sony A58
In reply to 123Mike, 10 months ago

123Mike wrote:

I don't like how the noise sets in at ISO 200 and up on the A65 and A77.

When properly exposed that's not true.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Miss use of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vikas Rana
Contributing MemberPosts: 805Gear list
Like?
Re: Best Value DSLR - Sony A58
In reply to tbcass, 10 months ago

tbcass wrote:

123Mike wrote:

I don't like how the noise sets in at ISO 200 and up on the A65 and A77.

When properly exposed that's not true.

That could be the DRO in low light, DRO is useful in daylight but its a killer in low/night light. I spoiled an interesting low light shot at ISO100 just because the DRO was on, realized that a week or two later.

 Vikas Rana's gear list:Vikas Rana's gear list
Sony SLT-A58 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II Adobe Photoshop CS6
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 5,061Gear list
Like?
Best Value DSLR - Nikon D3200? :))
In reply to Vikas Rana, 10 months ago
 Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ricky85
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?
Re: Best Value DSLR - Nikon D3200? :))
In reply to Sonyshine, 10 months ago

Sonyshine wrote:

Some would argue the Nikon D3200 is the best value DSLR

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/122777-best-dslr-cameras-2013-the-best-interchangeable-lens-cameras-available-to-buy-today

They have not tested the A58 and they awareded D3200 as Best entry-level DSLR but not Best Value DSLR

 Ricky85's gear list:Ricky85's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sony SLT-A58 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PhotoCycler
Regular MemberPosts: 387
Like?
Re: Best Value DSLR - Sony A58
In reply to 123Mike, 10 months ago

123Mike wrote:

I don't like how the noise sets in at ISO 200 and up on the A65 and A77.

That sounds a little exaggerated to me.  And where do you think noise sets in on the A57?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,306Gear list
Like?
Re: Best Value DSLR - Sony A58
In reply to PhotoCycler, 10 months ago

PhotoCycler wrote:

123Mike wrote:

I don't like how the noise sets in at ISO 200 and up on the A65 and A77.

That sounds a little exaggerated to me. And where do you think noise sets in on the A57?

ISO 400 a little, ISO 800 some more.

 123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cgarrard
Forum ProPosts: 14,411Gear list
Like?
Re: Haha!
In reply to Vikas Rana, 10 months ago

Vikas Rana wrote:

cgarrard wrote:

Vikas Rana wrote:

cgarrard wrote:

havoc315 wrote:

You're unfairly comparing the premium SLTs-- many of your points are the A77 and A65.

Comparing the A58 only with the K50, the K50 looks better across many key points.
Sure--any SLT has some unique selling points such as live view, full time PDAF. But the k50 unquestionably has far superior build quality (it's weather sealed, not even a debate). The k50 has much better high ISO performance.
Unless you're absolutely in love with the unique benefits of SLT, it's pretty hard to put the A58 ahead.

Its was not an unfair comparison. If that was unfair than I would say comparing K-50 (price: $800 - official launch price) with A58 (price $499 :official) is also not fair. So I compare K-50 with A65/A77/A57/A58. K-50's price comes in between A65 and A77 and its not even close to A58... You can say that K-50 is available at $580 on amazon but I purchased my A58 at $450...

Regarding the weather sealing, it can be done on any electronic devices using latest nano-technologies. Liquipel (http://www.liquipel.com/) is the firm which can make any electronic device water proof. Liquipel coating is far batter than factory based water-proofing.

Now A58 vs K - 50 (unfair because of difference in price)

K-50 Advantages

  1. Large Screen 3" vs 2.7"
  2. High ISO 51600 vs 16000, I still need to check the ISO results
  3. OVF vs EVF, good for you to do some test shots without live-view!
  4. 92% viewfinder coverage vs A58's 100% OLED EVF coverage. Good for you hide the outer 8%
  5. Weather Sealed
  6. Large Sensor
  7. Thinner in size
  8. Fast Shutter Speed 1/6000 vs 1/4000 (helpful to handle higher ISO range)

A58 Advantages

  1. A58: 1080/60i/24p AVCHD™ or 1080/30p MP4
    K-50: only 1080 at 30fps
  2. A58 has external mic jack
  3. A58 can create panorama, I've personally tested it worked very smoothly, results were 100% accurate.

Show us. I call lie, completely. And one shot out of many does not count. Show me a set of 3 consecutive shots where stitching and exposure errors don't show up. Good luck.

both the shots looks good enough to me.. I'll show you more tomorrow if you need. I think you got some defective piece of A58 on which you had the stitching problem...

First shot has at least 3 exposure errors in the sky, and I didn't even need to look at the second. Every single Sony SLT/DSLR/Compact I tested with sweep panorama has stitching and exposure errors- i.e. it's worthless to me.

The reason of difference in exposure is SUN. Even a child can tell that on 1st images SUN is on the top left and on second its was just on the right side of the last shot. No DLSR in this world that can handle SUN directly without any special filters!!!

Um no, and the fact that you don't see them is exactly why Sony keeps using this feature. No worries though, enjoy your camera.

-- hide signature --

http://www.photographic-central.blogspot.com (Gear reviews)
http://www.carlgarrard.blogspot.com/ (Best work compilation)
Also formerly AlphaMountWorld.com (Now off the web)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ricky85
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?
Re: Haha!
In reply to cgarrard, 10 months ago

First shot has at least 3 exposure errors in the sky, and I didn't even need to look at the second. Every single Sony SLT/DSLR/Compact I tested with sweep panorama has stitching and exposure errors- i.e. it's worthless to me.

The reason of difference in exposure is SUN. Even a child can tell that on 1st images SUN is on the top left and on second its was just on the right side of the last shot. No DLSR in this world that can handle SUN directly without any special filters!!!

Um no, and the fact that you don't see them is exactly why Sony keeps using this feature. No worries though, enjoy your camera.

Okay let me make the correction here, its not only Sony using this feature I had this same exposure/stitching issues in Nikon also. Any variation in exposure is well manageable by using CPL filter.

 Ricky85's gear list:Ricky85's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sony SLT-A58 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads