Nikon A vs Sony RX100

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
mcshan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,228
Like?
Re: Nikon A vs GR vs Sony RX100 vs X100 vs Panasonic GM1
In reply to photo perzon, 5 months ago

Hi Photo,  I know you have many come at you out here and I do recall you have gone through a good many cameras. You are offering praise for the GM1. Is it merely the flavor of the month for you or are the results that good?  By the way, mine is a sincere question as I have never had any issue with you. You are currently one of the few who have this camera and like you I have a 20 1.7 I would consider slapping on the GM1 (should I get one).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
richardrap
Regular MemberPosts: 217Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon A vs Sony RX100
In reply to Dheorl, 5 months ago

Many comments for 2 cameras that, IMHO, can hardly be compared.

Fuji X100s vs Nikon A make sense (2 products on my short list for next buy)

richardrap's gear list:richardrap's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P60 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Pentax K100D +2 more
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,062
Like?
Re: Nikon A vs Sony RX100
In reply to richardrap, 5 months ago

richardrap wrote:

Many comments for 2 cameras that, IMHO, can hardly be compared.

Fuji X100s vs Nikon A make sense (2 products on my short list for next buy)

Yup.  1" sensor vs D5100 sensor.  I guess it's all "pocket camera" is the only descriptive designation working here.

photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,481Gear list
Like?
In reply to mcshan, 5 months ago

mcshan wrote:

Hi Photo, I know you have many come at you out here and I do recall you have gone through a good many cameras. You are offering praise for the GM1. Is it merely the flavor of the month for you or are the results that good? By the way, mine is a sincere question as I have never had any issue with you. You are currently one of the few who have this camera and like you I have a 20 1.7 I would consider slapping on the GM1 (should I get one).

The GM1 fills a important camera need for me in that it has a small built in bounce flash.

I do not like blinding people with head on flash and as good as Olympus is they had the bouncers and got rid of them.  I modified a Oly flash to bounce (the kit flash) with a dremel and it now bounces when I hold it back with the finger.

Also I like the hi IQ, the hi ISO, the wonderful lenses such as the incredibly sharp primes such as the 20mm and 45mm and so on.

The body of the GM1 is the same size as the diminutive Canon S100.

So yes, the GM1 breaks new ground.  Now is its IQ as good as the other m4/3?  That is for experts to opine.  I think it is!  We'll see the reviews.

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,481Gear list
Like?
Re: I tried to like the RX100.
In reply to Ray Sachs, 5 months ago

If you want something around 40-50mm, get one of the m43 bodies with a 20 or 25mm lens and go to town - they AF in low light WAY better than any of these 28 or 35mm fixed lens cameras we're talking about.

Which 35mm fixed?

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 8,416Gear list
Like?
Re: I tried to like the RX100.
In reply to photo perzon, 5 months ago

photo perzon wrote:

If you want something around 40-50mm, get one of the m43 bodies with a 20 or 25mm lens and go to town - they AF in low light WAY better than any of these 28 or 35mm fixed lens cameras we're talking about.

Which 35mm fixed?

Olympus 17mm, f1.8

-Ray
--------------------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

Duckie
Senior MemberPosts: 2,132Gear list
Like?
In reply to mcshan, 5 months ago

A has great colours and a relatively worse lens than GR. Focusing is funny except for static scenery

GR has a better lens and worse colours (and better B/W) compared to A

X100s is almost equally good as A (colours and image) unless you like 28mm more than 35mm. Its bulkier

GM1 makes me lose sleep! Reminder to self: I have enough gear!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads