what used 50/1.4 lens should I look for to A7r

Started Nov 21, 2013 | Discussions
Kari Rannisto
Contributing MemberPosts: 911
Like?
what used 50/1.4 lens should I look for to A7r
Nov 21, 2013

Will get a A7r here in Shanghai and would like to as first lens choose a second hand manual 50/1.4 lens with proper adapter.

We have a great second hand market here and I can probably find most lenses here, so what should I look for in getting a manual 50/1.4 that would shine on the A7r?  200-300USD maximum

what do you guys recommend?

Cheers in advance

-- hide signature --
Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Kari Rannisto
Like?
Re: what used 50/1.4 lens should I look for to A7r
In reply to Kari Rannisto, Nov 21, 2013

wanted to add that I already have a lot of Canon L lenses that I will get an adapter for so they can be used on the A7r as well, but the collection is missing a 50mm as well, therefore I start with that lens on the A7r

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JohnK
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,503Gear list
Like?

Hi Kari, IMO the Konica Hexanon 50mm f1.4 is a real winner, IQ wise

-- hide signature --

JohnK
Take a picture, it'll last longer.

verybiglebowski
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,313Gear list
Like?

Kari Rannisto wrote:

wanted to add that I already have a lot of Canon L lenses that I will get an adapter for so they can be used on the A7r as well, but the collection is missing a 50mm as well, therefore I start with that lens on the A7r

-- hide signature --

Dream team:

1. Zeiss Otus 55/1.4

2. Leica Summicron f/2 Aspherical APO

3. Leica Noctilux 50/0.95

4. Leica Summilux 50/1.4 Asph.

5. Canon EF 50/1.2 L USM with MB SA III

6. New Voigtlander Nokton 50/1.5 or Zeiss Sonnar 50/1.5 ZM

7. Canon FD 55/1.2 S.S.C aspherical

8. Nikon Nikkor 58/1.4 Noktor

But, probably the best option will be FE 55/1.8

-- hide signature --

Don't trust your eyes or mind, they might betray you! Trust only comments posted on the forums, because there is the absolute truth!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/viktor_viktor/
http://verybiglobo.blogspot.com/

Kari Rannisto
Like?
In reply to verybiglebowski, Nov 21, 2013

Sure a dream team .... But very $$$$$

will have a look at the used market

cheers

verybiglebowski wrote:

Kari Rannisto wrote:

-- hide signature --

Dream team:

1. Zeiss Otus 55/1.4

2. Leica Summicron f/2 Aspherical APO

3. Leica Noctilux 50/0.95

4. Leica Summilux 50/1.4 Asph.

5. Canon EF 50/1.2 L USM with MB SA III

6. New Voigtlander Nokton 50/1.5 or Zeiss Sonnar 50/1.5 ZM

7. Canon FD 55/1.2 S.S.C aspherical

8. Nikon Nikkor 58/1.4 Noktor

But, probably the best option will be FE 55/1.8

-- hide signature --

Don't trust your eyes or mind, they might betray you! Trust only comments posted on the forums, because there is the absolute truth!

-- hide signature --
verybiglebowski
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,313Gear list
Like?

Kari Rannisto wrote:

Sure a dream team .... But very $$$$$

will have a look at the used market

cheers

I was just kidding, but FE 55/1.8 could easily be one of the best options.

Nevertheless, you might want to check my brief comparison of legacy and third party 50mm f/1.4 lenses, or another comparison of super fast standard lenses (50-58mm). Few of those most popular should be there.

In general, I would pick the one that is in the best condition, unless you are after some specific look. Members here tend to recommand lenses that they have, (which is normal I guess), but in reality, they are all very good and rather similar in performance if you find good copy.

I would choose Canon FDn for sharpness across the frame, Minolta (MC) and Takumar for its build quality, Olympus (50/1.4 after serial number 1100000 is brilliant lens, not in my test unfortunatelly, but I tried it later) for it's compact size and Konica AR for good ballance of all that. (Zeiss or Leica are rather too expensive IMO.)

Differences might be more pronounced on FF though, so I am looking forward to re-test them soon on A7 and A7r.

-- hide signature --

Lightshow
Senior MemberPosts: 2,647Gear list
Like?

Kari Rannisto wrote:

Will get a A7r here in Shanghai and would like to as first lens choose a second hand manual 50/1.4 lens with proper adapter.

We have a great second hand market here and I can probably find most lenses here, so what should I look for in getting a manual 50/1.4 that would shine on the A7r? 200-300USD maximum

Cheers in advance

-- hide signature --

I'm really looking forward to using my Topcor RE 58/1.4, I only have experience with it on crop, and it's awesome on my NEX-7, it's at the upper end of your price range, there is a cheaper RE 58/1.8

RE 58/1.4 on NEX-7

From a Flickr search, on a 5DII:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21716768@N08/4570523993/

Corners look good.

Other lenses....

OM 50/1.4 MC

C/Y 50/1.4 should be good.

If you are looking for good corners, look at ~50mm macros, they should be great, FD 50/3.5, OM 50/3.5 Nikkor 55/2.8, etc...

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
jkspepper
Regular MemberPosts: 430
Like?
In reply to verybiglebowski, Nov 21, 2013

If you're going to get a 50mm now, then I would suggest you get a 'speciality' lens.  The FE 55mm Sonnar coming out after Christmas looks to be a stonking good quality and sharp lens with native AF.  If you buy a 50mm now at that price range and that quality (both sharpness and bokeh) then I reckon the closest would be the Zeiss 50mm Planar - cheaper but lacks AF.

I had this thought too, I will get the native FE 55mm Sonnar when it is released, but in the mean while I got the Zeiss 50mm f1.5 C Sonnar.  Not as sharp but with a 'dreamy' bokeh quality.

-- hide signature --
PaulR
Regular MemberPosts: 352Gear list
Like?

I've tested a bunch of 50mm lenses and the best one I've found so far was the Canon FD 50mm f1.4 SSCl and the second best was the Minolta MD Rokkor-X 50mm f1.4.  But I have also decided that sample variation and even variations in the adapter you use may be as important as the specific brand.

Kari Rannisto wrote:

We have a great second hand market here and I can probably find most lenses here, so what should I look for in getting a manual 50/1.4 that would shine on the A7r? 200-300USD maximum

Cheers in advance

-- hide signature --
 PaulR's gear list:PaulR's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7R Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +1 more
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,788Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lightshow, Nov 21, 2013

Lightshow wrote:

I'm really looking forward to using my Topcor RE 58/1.4, I only have experience with it on crop, and it's awesome on my NEX-7, it's at the upper end of your price range, there is a cheaper RE 58/1.8

+1 I reckon this, or its modern Voigtländer cousin, is definitely a good option. If they weren't so good they wouldn't be able to command the prices they do.

I have a feeling the humble Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 will be a cracking lens on the Alpha7's. This can be had for very little money. Being an older lens, they are prone to flare, and so I'd recommend a multicoated version of the lens.

Looking at VBL's incredibly useful test it seems it's not the sharpest of the bunch wide open, but it has great rendering, and they do get nice and sharp stopped down. I am not sure how it will perform towards the edges on a FF sensor though.

-- hide signature --

A rose by any other name is still a chicken.

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +18 more
Jokica
Contributing MemberPosts: 649Gear list
Like?

Very useful comparison can be found here . Courtesy of our forum member kuuan.

Jokica's gear list:Jokica's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
YuriS
Regular MemberPosts: 337Gear list
Like?

Hi! Take Minolta MD(MC) Rokkor 50mm f1.4. It is good on m4/3, it is wonderful on Nex-6 and it should be amazing on FF. And... It is relatively cheap. See samples:

http://natalispalette.jimdo.com/photo/minolta-md-rokkor-50mm-f1-4-lens/

http://natalispalette.jimdo.com/new-and-old-camera-lenses-by-yuri-stangrit/comparisons-and-reviews/several-50mm-prime-lenses-comparison/

YuriS's gear list:YuriS's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +1 more
Kari Rannisto
Like?
In reply to YuriS, Nov 21, 2013

Thank you all for great input, Will study the recommendations and links you provided.

Appreciated !!!

-- hide signature --
Michael Everett
Senior MemberPosts: 1,788
Like?
In reply to PaulR, Nov 21, 2013

PaulR wrote:

I've tested a bunch of 50mm lenses and the best one I've found so far was the Canon FD 50mm f1.4 SSCl and the second best was the Minolta MD Rokkor-X 50mm f1.4. But I have also decided that sample variation and even variations in the adapter you use may be as important as the specific brand.

+1 on FD and sample.  I did the same thing and ended with a Canon FDn 1.4, but only after discarding a couple of other Canons that were distinctly inferior.  The FDn bettered Olympus OM, Minolta and even a Zeiss Planar 1.7.

Michael

rjjr
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,694
Like?
My Super Takumar 50/1.4 V2 is what I'd use. (nt)
No text.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads