70D cheaper than 7D, why?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Albert Drybrae
Contributing MemberPosts: 505
Like?
70D cheaper than 7D, why?
10 months ago

I have checked the prices of the 70D and find it to be cheaper than the 7D although the 70D is an update of the 7D.  What gives?

Al

Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: 70D cheaper than 7D, why?
In reply to Albert Drybrae, 10 months ago

Albert Drybrae wrote:

I have checked the prices of the 70D and find it to be cheaper than the 7D although the 70D is an update of the 7D.  What gives?

Al

Because it costs more to make the 7D and there is still demand for the 7D.

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ed P
Contributing MemberPosts: 531
Like?

Albert Drybrae wrote:

I have checked the prices of the 70D and find it to be cheaper than the 7D although the 70D is an update of the 7D. What gives?

Al

The 70D is NOT an update of the 7D -- it's an update of the 60D (different line from Canon).  The xxD line (50D, 60D, 70D, etc.) has always been less expensive (their "semi-pro" line) than the xD line (7D, 5D, 1D, etc.) - their "pro" line.

digitalcuriosity
Contributing MemberPosts: 761
Like?

Albert Drybrae wrote:

I have checked the prices of the 70D and find it to be cheaper than the 7D although the 70D is an update of the 7D. What gives?

Al

The Canon 70D is an update to the Canon 60D the Canon 7D is a complete different Canon Camera.

ktownbill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,960
Like?
In reply to digitalcuriosity, 10 months ago

digitalcuriosity wrote:

Albert Drybrae wrote:

Al

The Canon 70D is an update to the Canon 60D the Canon 7D is a complete different Canon Camera.

LOL.....finally somebody got it right. digitalcuriosity is correct.

-- hide signature --

Bill

digitalcuriosity
Like?
In reply to Ed P, 10 months ago

Ed P wrote:

Albert Drybrae wrote:

Al

The 70D is NOT an update of the 7D -- it's an update of the 60D (different line from Canon). The xxD line (50D, 60D, 70D, etc.) has always been less expensive (their "semi-pro" line) than the xD line (7D, 5D, 1D, etc.) - their "pro" line.

The only item I don't agree with is putting the older Canon 50D in the same class of Canon cameras at the 60d&70D Back then the 50D had the all metal body it also used the full sized memory cards. I am not implying today it's a better camera then the 60D&70D, just at that time it is more in-line with the 7D today,not as far as the electronics but in build quality.

Albert Drybrae
Contributing MemberPosts: 505
Like?
In reply to ktownbill, 10 months ago

Wow! I really had it wrong.  Thanks for setting me straight.

I'm thinking of selling my 7D and getting a 70D.  I like the new focusing and comunication (wifi) abilities of the 70D.  What features of the 7D will I miss by stepping down to the 70D?

Al

RobertoAvanzi
Contributing MemberPosts: 953Gear list
Like?

Albert Drybrae wrote:

Because it is not an update of the 7D. Ergonomics (size, lack of joystick, lack of dual function buttons on top), build (both have according to canon the same level of weather sealing, but the 7D has a magnesium body whereas the 70D is polycarbonate, fiberglass and aluminum) and some features (the 7D has spot and expansion AF, and it shoots a bit faster, has a bigger burst buffer) position the 7D at a higher level - this despite the 70D having some additional features as well (new sensor the with OS PDAF, articulating screen) because it contains newer technology.

The 7D is still in demand from people that prefer the sturdier build, joystick, the additional (conventional) AF modes, the faster burst shooting, the deeper buffer. In fact, there are use cases where you even NEED these features, and these have been left out of the 70D intentionally, to position it in a different segment. It is a fantastic camera and IQ wise it stands still there at the top of the APS-C cameras with only marginal differences with respect to newer models.

Also, Canon sometimes uses cameras at a lower level in the line up to showcase and test new features, like the dual pixel OS PDAF. You can expect this feature to be in the 7D successor if Canon is satisfied with it.

I switched from the 40D to the 70D because of the better live view, the 19 all cross point AF (up from 9 all cross point) the increased resolution - but I was aware that the build would be good but not as good as the 40Ds, and I sacrificed the joystick (I never use the 8 way controlled to select the points but I use the two wheels - really nice ergonomics, I must say, once you re-adapt). It is an upgrade wrt to the features I used before, but 40D->70D is not necessarily an upgrade on all counts. The xxD line occupies now a lower segment than the 40D did back in the time.

Roberto

RobertoAvanzi's gear list:RobertoAvanzi's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +3 more
RobertoAvanzi
Like?

digitalcuriosity wrote:

Ed P wrote:

The 70D is NOT an update of the 7D -- it's an update of the 60D (different line from Canon). The xxD line (50D, 60D, 70D, etc.) has always been less expensive (their "semi-pro" line) than the xD line (7D, 5D, 1D, etc.) - their "pro" line.

The only item I don't agree with is putting the older Canon 50D in the same class of Canon cameras at the 60d&70D Back then the 50D had the all metal body it also used the full sized memory cards. I am not implying today it's a better camera then the 60D&70D, just at that time it is more in-line with the 7D today,not as far as the electronics but in build quality.

Correct. The 20D to 50D was a line of products at a level that was then segmented further by Canon. The 60D and 70D are a bit lower than than the 10D-50D used to be, and the 7D occupies a higher slot. The differences are in build (magnesium vs polycarbonate/fiberglass resin/aluminium), features (corner AF features such as spot AF and expansion AF which are important to some users), speed, SF vs SD card, and ergonomics (fast AF point selection joystick vs 8-way controller - the two wheels can be used in both lines). The fact that the 70D includes some cutting edge features is due only to the fact that it is a newer camera, and I suspect also a testbed for these features.

Roberto

Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +3 more
RobertoAvanzi
Like?

Albert Drybrae wrote:

Wow! I really had it wrong. Thanks for setting me straight.

I'm thinking of selling my 7D and getting a 70D. I like the new focusing and comunication (wifi) abilities of the 70D. What features of the 7D will I miss by stepping down to the 70D.

Spot AF and AF expansion modes are missing.

The build is cheaper (polycarbonate + fiberglass resin + aluminum elements vs big magnesium blocks).

It is a bit slower (7pfs vs 8fps).

No joystick (BUT: I find using the two wheels to select the points to be even better than the joystick - whereas the little 8 way controller sucks for me).

Weather sealing is considered comparable (by Canon).

PRO: It is a bit smaller, in fact it fits in my hand better than the 7D. And I have big hands, but I never really liked the feeling of large pro bodies.

Roberto

Ed P
Contributing MemberPosts: 531
Like?

digitalcuriosity wrote:

Albert Drybrae wrote:

Al

yeah... that's what I said at the top of this thread.

Robert J. Gonzalez
Senior MemberPosts: 1,172Gear list
Like?

Albert Drybrae wrote:

Al

UM, No.

The 70d is an update of the 60, consumery articulated lcd and all.

Robert J. Gonzalez's gear list:Robert J. Gonzalez's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
AShimon
Contributing MemberPosts: 797
Like?
In reply to RobertoAvanzi, 10 months ago

RobertoAvanzi wrote:

The build is cheaper (polycarbonate + fiberglass resin + aluminum elements vs big magnesium blocks).

Roberto

Not sure if you meant they feel like magnesium blocks, or they are made from big magnesium blocks (Machined).

If you meant the latter, you are incorrect. The magnesium bodies (it's actually a magnesium alloy) are cast, then some minor machining on the internals are done to ensure proper surfaces as appropriate.

Casting is much cheaper than machining, though the process does inherently have a higher chance of defects. Most of which (if not all) are caught at the factory.

RobertoAvanzi
Like?
In reply to AShimon, 10 months ago

AShimon wrote:

RobertoAvanzi wrote:

Roberto

Not sure if you meant they feel like magnesium blocks, or they are made from big magnesium blocks (Machined).

If you meant the latter, you are incorrect. The magnesium bodies (it's actually a magnesium alloy) are cast, then some minor machining on the internals are done to ensure proper surfaces as appropriate.

Casting is much cheaper than machining, though the process does inherently have a higher chance of defects. Most of which (if not all) are caught at the factory.

I meant cast. I am not a native english speaker, so please pardon me. I meant that there are two large pieces that form the magnesium shell which are screwed together (these are the pieces that I maybe wrongly called blocks), and this fact gives a very, very sturdy, essentially non-malleable structure.

Roberto

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,871Gear list
Like?
Because 70D is not an update of the 7D

Albert Drybrae wrote:

Al

70D is an update of the 60D.

digitalcuriosity
Like?
Re: Because 70D is not an update of the 7D
In reply to Mark B., 10 months ago

Mark B. wrote:

Albert Drybrae wrote:

Al

I have to admit the new Canon 70D is very tempting to me. Even as I know I have no real need to have one. But it is tempting.

jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 10,951Gear list
Like?

Albert Drybrae wrote:

Al

Because the tech was developed and paid for earlier ...by sales of the 7D.  And now most of the good stuff...and some more, some less, is therefore available at a lower price.

Most items go down in price after a while.  Just like FF bodies.  And computers.  Lower price does not mean inferior every time.  I'd pay more for the new 70 than the old 7...any day of the week.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,871Gear list
Like?

digitalcuriosity wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Albert Drybrae wrote:

Al

I have to admit the new Canon 70D is very tempting to me. Even as I know I have no real need to have one. But it is tempting.

It will be very tempting to me if there is no 7D update early next year.  I'd hang on to the 7D for shooting birds & other action, but I'm very interested in having wi-fi.

Mark

digitalcuriosity
Like?
In reply to Mark B., 10 months ago

Mark B. wrote:

digitalcuriosity wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Albert Drybrae wrote:

Al

It will be very tempting to me if there is no 7D update early next year. I'd hang on to the 7D for shooting birds & other action, but I'm very interested in having wi-fi.

Mark

I have only been using my Wi-Fi on new Canon G16 a week, but after getting it working "Canons very vague instructions" not so easy to follow IMHO others might differ. I could connect to my Win7 computers and send picture files, Win8 so far will not connect. After learning that for phones and tablets "some peoples phones and tablets may not be supported" you must download and install the Canon App. "Canon CW" this will allow connecting the WiFi Camera to phones and tablets. This App. is found at your phone and tablets store, if not found it's not supported.

This item of the Wi-Fi really makes me want all new cameras to have it. As it sure beats dragging out the memory card of plugging in a USB cable.

Flying Fish
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,620
Like?
Albert

I don't know what you'd miss.  I can tell you what I owuld miss:  The spot AF, and the single point with expansion AF, which has already been pointed out.  Most people, it seems to me, wouldn't miss spot AF, but I surely would.  I like the joystick as well.

I''ll tell you what I would NOT miss about the 7D:  the somewhat noisy images above ISO 400, especially blue skies.  Other than that, the 7D continues to amaze me with its capabilities, which I'm still learning after more than 4 years of owning the camera.  I do believe from what I've read that absent the two features I mentioned above, the 70D's AF is at least the equal of the 7D's.

FF

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads