Started 5 months ago | Discussions
GXRuser
Contributing MemberPosts: 633
Like?
Re: Fotodiox x Novoflex x Voigtlander: M-mount adapter cagematch
In reply to Tom Caldwell, 5 months ago

Tom Caldwell wrote:

M Dennis Fern wrote:

Reading the 40 preceding comments on this thread, I come away with the conclusion that no adapter, except perhaps the Novoflex, is reliably precise. No one has written a complaint about the performance of the Novoflex LEM/NEX adapter. Am I missing something? If we are spending mega bucks on the A&/A7r and plan on using expensive rangefinder lenses, isn't this thread a persuasive argument for the Novoflex--except masochists who don't mind the aggravation of having to buy and return defective products repeatedly until they get the odd good one, or who like to repeatedly disassemble lens mounts to find the right shim, or those who think focusing past the infinity setting is acceptable?

Dennis,

Good argument, I may have as many as 40 adapters, they almost all have been relatively cheap. I do have one Novoflex adapter as well. I have not felt it necessary to return any of them.

Sorry, out of several Yeenon DKL to M42, one only was a slightly loose fit. Yeenon quickly replaced it for me.

So I did not return my Novoflex, but the others worked fine and excepting the one Yeenon ...

But in the end you buy what you feel comfortable with. No risk Novoflex seems about right.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

I just bought a Leica M to NEX adapter to supplement my Voigtlander adapter. It was not a necessary purchase.

I bought it to allow the use of the Novoflex tripod mount collar. It is a superbly machined collar with both a tripod socket and an ara-swiss type quick release mount. It allows the lens adapter to carry the weight of the lens instead of the NEX body. (There have been multiple reports of the tripod socket of the NEX-7 coming loose. (my other adapters do not have a tripod socket).

I already had a Pentax DA to Nex adapter that I was using with a SMC M 200mm f4. It is very reassuring to have the NEX-6 secure on a tripod with the weight of the lens transmitted to the tripod collar via the adapter instead of the camera socket.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Letsgokoulos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,365
Like?
In reply to GXRuser, 5 months ago

GXRuser wrote:

I just bought a Leica M to NEX adapter to supplement my Voigtlander adapter. It was not a necessary purchase.

I bought it to allow the use of the Novoflex tripod mount collar. It is a superbly machined collar with both a tripod socket and an ara-swiss type quick release mount. It allows the lens adapter to carry the weight of the lens instead of the NEX body. (There have been multiple reports of the tripod socket of the NEX-7 coming loose. (my other adapters do not have a tripod socket).

I already had a Pentax DA to Nex adapter that I was using with a SMC M 200mm f4. It is very reassuring to have the NEX-6 secure on a tripod with the weight of the lens transmitted to the tripod collar via the adapter instead of the camera socket.

GXRuser, do you happen to have a link to this tripod mount collar ? I suppose many people here would be interested. Do you know is limitations in diameter (min/max) ?

Marc

turnstyle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,571
Like?
In reply to Letsgokoulos, 5 months ago

I had assumed he was talking about this:

http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/adapters/adapter-finder/

Tuloom
Contributing MemberPosts: 571
Like?

Letsgokoulos wrote:

GXRuser wrote:

GXRuser, do you happen to have a link to this tripod mount collar ? I suppose many people here would be interested. Do you know is limitations in diameter (min/max) ?

Marc

I ordered one a few days ago. They are backordered for now in the US.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758213-REG/Novoflex_ASTAT_NEX_ASTAT_NEX_Tripod_Collar_for.html

turnstyle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,571
Like?

GXRuser wrote:

I bought it to allow the use of the Novoflex tripod mount collar.

Apart from the collar, how would you compare the Voightlander adapter to the Novoflex? How do the compare at the infinity stop?

ropausa
Regular MemberPosts: 177
Like?
In reply to Tuloom, 5 months ago

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758213-REG/Novoflex_ASTAT_NEX_ASTAT_NEX_Tripod_Collar_for.html

No they are not back ordered in the USA. They are not in stock at B&H. Try FotoCare.

GXRuser
Like?
In reply to turnstyle, 5 months ago

turnstyle wrote:

GXRuser wrote:

Apart from the collar, how would you compare the Voightlander adapter to the Novoflex? How do the compare at the infinity stop?

I can't answer that yet. My Novoflex Leica to NEX adapter has not arrived.

If you read my prior post, I found that my Voigtlander Leica M to micro fourthirds was exactly on spec. So was the Panasonic Leica M to micor fourthirds adapter.

My Voigtlander Leica M to NEX adapter is ever so slightly focusing just before infinity when wide open. This is with a M-Rokkor 40mm f2 and a M-Rokkor (Leitz) 90mm f4. (Both of these were spot on perfect with the Ricoh GXR Mount). When I stopped down one stop with both lenses, infinity focus has been perfect.

I have noted that with both the Rayqual Pentax DA to NEX and Novoflex Pentax DA to NEX adapters, with both the DA 70mm f2.4 and SMC M 100mm f2.8 infinity focus was achieved way before the infinity focus stop. With both of these lenses I have noted the same issue with the OEM Pentax Q K mount adapter (with leaf shutter). I have concluded that this is now a specific issue with Pentax lenses and the K mount spec, not with the Rayqual or Novoflex adapters.

I had no problems with Rayqual OM to Leica or OM to microfour thirds adapters.

My first adapter was a Minolta MD to micro four thirds adapter with the Panasonic G1. I used it with my 250mm f5.6 Reflex Rokkor mirror lens. That mirror lens was designed to focus past infinity to compensate for changes in the mirrors with different ambient temperatures. I sold that lens and adapter 3 years ago to fund other projects. From that experience, I would only use a manual focus long lens hand held with a camera with focus peaking and in body image stabilization.

I have a used Novoflex Leica M to NEX adapter on order from KEH. When I receive it I will update this posting with a comparison.

GXRuser
Like?

Letsgokoulos wrote:

GXRuser wrote:

Marc

Marc:

The adapter is part: ASTAT-NEX

Here is a link at the Novoflex site. It is in the middle of the page under accessories and if you click the picture it will show the adapter with a long lens attached to a Red NEX 5 (?)

http://www.novoflex.com/index.php

The tripod collar is manufactured to tight tolerances and will only fit the Novoflex adapters on the smooth portion of the adapter's barrel.

It will not fit either the NEX SEL50f18 (62mm diameter) or the SEL55210 (63.8mm diameter). It did not fit the Voigtlander Leica M to NEX adapter.

My measurement of the internal diameter of the Voigtlander tripod collar was around 59 mm.

Does anyone know of a tripod collar that has an internal diameter of 62 to 64mm that I can use to mount the SEL55210 to a tripod?

This is a reason to use any of the Sony A-mount adapters with a Long (or Macro) Minolta Maxxum or Sony Alpha lens to the NEX (or A7). All four of the adapters have a tripod mount.

Tuloom
Like?
In reply to ropausa, 5 months ago

ropausa wrote:

No they are not back ordered in the USA. They are not in stock at B&H. Try FotoCare.

Yes, backordered. Out of Stock at the majors. FotoCare's site doesn't even list it.

Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 16,588
Like?

GXRuser wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

M Dennis Fern wrote:

Reading the 40 preceding comments on this thread, I come away with the conclusion that no adapter, except perhaps the Novoflex, is reliably precise. No one has written a complaint about the performance of the Novoflex LEM/NEX adapter. Am I missing something? If we are spending mega bucks on the A&/A7r and plan on using expensive rangefinder lenses, isn't this thread a persuasive argument for the Novoflex--except masochists who don't mind the aggravation of having to buy and return defective products repeatedly until they get the odd good one, or who like to repeatedly disassemble lens mounts to find the right shim, or those who think focusing past the infinity setting is acceptable?

Dennis,

Good argument, I may have as many as 40 adapters, they almost all have been relatively cheap. I do have one Novoflex adapter as well. I have not felt it necessary to return any of them.

Sorry, out of several Yeenon DKL to M42, one only was a slightly loose fit. Yeenon quickly replaced it for me.

So I did not return my Novoflex, but the others worked fine and excepting the one Yeenon ...

But in the end you buy what you feel comfortable with. No risk Novoflex seems about right.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Metabones and a few other EF to NEX adapters come with built in tripod mounts as well. This is useful and it is not necessary to use it and small enough to not get in the way.  The RJ glassless electonic adapter has an optional extra collar which allows portrait mode as well.  It does not have detents or markings but I guees you can use in-camera levelling or make some discrete measured markings.   Some other adapters can be bought with fixed tripod mounts, especially for the Pentax Q mount for obvious good reason.  Fixed tripod mounts are best with bayonet mount lenses of course.

It is interesting in this debate that nothing has been said about Metabones or the Chinese focal reducer versions in respect of their infinity focus accuracy.  Maybe I am too casual but I have not noticed any infinity focus problem  (with any of them).  This is doubly unusual as Canon make absolutely no bones whatsoever that their telephoto lenses at least all focus past infinity out of the factory - simply to allow for a possible heat factor.  I admit to have not gone beyond the 200/2.0 so far but this rather large white lens surely is also focusing past infinity.  Maybe it is because that with telephoto the actual use requires some specific focusing - even at longer distances.  I have used this lens and noticed no problems with focus - both in AF (goes without saying) but also using MF - which is usually quicker wiith such a sharp lens.

Therefore the conndrum.  The telephoto has smaller dof and seems less problematical and the wide lens with sometimes huge hyperfocal seems to be a big issue.  If a wide cannot pick up infinity inside the hyperfocal distance then it is indeed a big problem

Or is it something that I am not understanding - can the extreme end of the hyperfocal be out of focus if the lens can focus past infinity? - beyond me.  But if this is so then all those very expensive telephoto lenses that Canon builds deliberately to focus past infinity have a very real problem.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Letsgokoulos
Like?

GXRuser wrote:

Marc:

Here is a link at the Novoflex site. It is in the middle of the page under accessories and if you click the picture it will show the adapter with a long lens attached to a Red NEX 5 (?)

The tripod collar is manufactured to tight tolerances and will only fit the Novoflex adapters on the smooth portion of the adapter's barrel.

It will not fit either the NEX SEL50f18 (62mm diameter) or the SEL55210 (63.8mm diameter). It did not fit the Voigtlander Leica M to NEX adapter.

My measurement of the internal diameter of the Voigtlander tripod collar was around 59 mm.

Does anyone know of a tripod collar that has an internal diameter of 62 to 64mm that I can use to mount the SEL55210 to a tripod?

This is a reason to use any of the Sony A-mount adapters with a Long (or Macro) Minolta Maxxum or Sony Alpha lens to the NEX (or A7). All four of the adapters have a tripod mount.

Thank you, I hope this information can be useful for others too.

With regards to a collar for the SEL 55-210mm, I am using the lens without collar. I also use the original SEL 18-200mm on the tripod mount of either the Nex-3 or the Nex-5N without problems. I have decided this is the limit (525g) I would impose to the camera tripods mount, anything heavier requires a tripod mount on the adapter.

Marc

Letsgokoulos
Like?
In reply to Tom Caldwell, 5 months ago

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Metabones and a few other EF to NEX adapters come with built in tripod mounts as well. This is useful and it is not necessary to use it and small enough to not get in the way. The RJ glassless electonic adapter has an optional extra collar which allows portrait mode as well. It does not have detents or markings but I guees you can use in-camera levelling or make some discrete measured markings. Some other adapters can be bought with fixed tripod mounts, especially for the Pentax Q mount for obvious good reason. Fixed tripod mounts are best with bayonet mount lenses of course.

It is interesting in this debate that nothing has been said about Metabones or the Chinese focal reducer versions in respect of their infinity focus accuracy. Maybe I am too casual but I have not noticed any infinity focus problem (with any of them). This is doubly unusual as Canon make absolutely no bones whatsoever that their telephoto lenses at least all focus past infinity out of the factory - simply to allow for a possible heat factor. I admit to have not gone beyond the 200/2.0 so far but this rather large white lens surely is also focusing past infinity. Maybe it is because that with telephoto the actual use requires some specific focusing - even at longer distances. I have used this lens and noticed no problems with focus - both in AF (goes without saying) but also using MF - which is usually quicker wiith such a sharp lens.

Therefore the conndrum. The telephoto has smaller dof and seems less problematical and the wide lens with sometimes huge hyperfocal seems to be a big issue. If a wide cannot pick up infinity inside the hyperfocal distance then it is indeed a big problem

Or is it something that I am not understanding - can the extreme end of the hyperfocal be out of focus if the lens can focus past infinity? - beyond me. But if this is so then all those very expensive telephoto lenses that Canon builds deliberately to focus past infinity have a very real problem.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Tom, that is an interesting discovery... Could it be that the infinity setting is exacerbated by the crop factor ? I will try to check tomorrow with my Speed Booster.

Marc

Tom Caldwell
Like?

Letsgokoulos wrote:

GXRuser wrote:

Marc:

Thank you, I hope this information can be useful for others too.

With regards to a collar for the SEL 55-210mm, I am using the lens without collar. I also use the original SEL 18-200mm on the tripod mount of either the Nex-3 or the Nex-5N without problems. I have decided this is the limit (525g) I would impose to the camera tripods mount, anything heavier requires a tripod mount on the adapter.

Marc

All my big Canon lenses have a tripod mount movable ring on the lens itself (complete with detent stops), must be better still.  Where it gets more problematical  is for the lump of a lens such as the Canon EF 85/1.2 but Metabones "rides to the rescue" with a built in tripod mount in its electronic adapters.  Possibly more problematical was the use of the selfsame lens on a Canon dslr body and attached via the battery pack tripod mount.  But I guess if you are strong enough to wield a dslr and battery pack combination by hand then the 85/1.2 is a "mere trifle" and it is a fast enough combination to hardly need "tripoding".

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Tuloom
Like?

GXRuser wrote:

The Nodal Ninja for the 18-55 might work?

http://shop.nodalninja.com/ultimate-r1-r10-lens-ring-clamp-ring/

I was hoping to make it work with the standard size Fotodiox adapters, but it didn't due to it's width (not Nodal Ninja's fault, of course) I spoke to them before ordering and they had no problem allowing me to try it out and return it (minus shipping) if it didn't.

Here's what I posted in another thread.

Nodal Ninja makes a lens ring clamp with integrated Arca Swiss plate for the E-mount 16mm and the 18-55mm. I called the company and spoke to an actual human being, which I was amazed by. I asked if he could measure the width and diameter of their ring and spacer for the E-mount. He was happy to be helpful and measured. The diameter of Fotodiox adapters (FD, MD, EOS, C/Y) runs roughly 59mm. The R1/R10 ring is close to 62mm before tightening. Width on the Fotodiox adapters runs about 10.5 - 12mm. Nodal's Ring is 9mm wide. Eureka. I ordered one.

Tom Caldwell
Like?
I am lazy enough but here is my theory, words are easier

Letsgokoulos wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Metabones and a few other EF to NEX adapters come with built in tripod mounts as well. This is useful and it is not necessary to use it and small enough to not get in the way. The RJ glassless electonic adapter has an optional extra collar which allows portrait mode as well. It does not have detents or markings but I guees you can use in-camera levelling or make some discrete measured markings. Some other adapters can be bought with fixed tripod mounts, especially for the Pentax Q mount for obvious good reason. Fixed tripod mounts are best with bayonet mount lenses of course.

It is interesting in this debate that nothing has been said about Metabones or the Chinese focal reducer versions in respect of their infinity focus accuracy. Maybe I am too casual but I have not noticed any infinity focus problem (with any of them). This is doubly unusual as Canon make absolutely no bones whatsoever that their telephoto lenses at least all focus past infinity out of the factory - simply to allow for a possible heat factor. I admit to have not gone beyond the 200/2.0 so far but this rather large white lens surely is also focusing past infinity. Maybe it is because that with telephoto the actual use requires some specific focusing - even at longer distances. I have used this lens and noticed no problems with focus - both in AF (goes without saying) but also using MF - which is usually quicker wiith such a sharp lens.

Therefore the conndrum. The telephoto has smaller dof and seems less problematical and the wide lens with sometimes huge hyperfocal seems to be a big issue. If a wide cannot pick up infinity inside the hyperfocal distance then it is indeed a big problem

Or is it something that I am not understanding - can the extreme end of the hyperfocal be out of focus if the lens can focus past infinity? - beyond me. But if this is so then all those very expensive telephoto lenses that Canon builds deliberately to focus past infinity have a very real problem.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Tom, that is an interesting discovery... Could it be that the infinity setting is exacerbated by the crop factor ? I will try to check tomorrow with my Speed Booster.

Marc

Marc, If I was not so doggone lazy I would do it myself might shake my bones a bit and see what little experiments I can perform.

The theory is of course (as we all know) that if you set the rightmost stop in use mark on infinity then everything from the leftmost stop on the focus scale to infinity will be in focus.

This is where I get horribly confused. Surely even on the widest apertures there should be some dof at infinity? Therefore the lenses that are "absolutely correct" more like than not are actually focusing ever so slightly before infinity and rely on the hyperfocal to fix things up. So much for "precise engineering" (grin).

Obviously past infinity has to be out of focus. Full stop. But when the focus is adjusted back to get (effectively) the hyperfocal in play we must assume that the out of focus part simply drops off the scale. In other words a lens that focuses past infinity has a smaller hyperfocal available than it should have otherwise. But maybe not, as the near end of the hyperfocal must correspondingly move closer as well.

For those that wish to keep the hyperfocal limited at infinity do have more potential hyperfocal to play with but deliberately restrict this by setting their lens focal distance at the infinity stop.

And so the whole debate about "accuracy" is more debate about the nuisance value of not being able to just slap the lens against the infinity stop and be assured that the lens will pull in the infinity focus using hyperfocal at its widest possible aperture. Forget about squeezing the hyperfocal to the max as it is not deemed necessary.

What is the greatest sin of any adapter/lens combination is not focusing to infinity at all (unless it is extreme macro which can be excused). Therefore true precise engineering is the trick of focusing before infinity with enough room in the hyperfocal to bring in infinity focus at the widest aperture the lens is capable of. Obviously a more risky approach considering that who knows which lens will be attached and in whatever tune.

For a lens-tone-deaf happy go lucky with oddball lenses maybe the cheap adapters with more hyperfocal play-room are the best bet but for super-precise expensive lenses the convenience of hyperfocal fixed slightly before infinity focus expensive adapters is worth while.  Then of course you can use the infinity mark to get precise hyperfocal as well, but unfortunately this means not using the lens against the infinity stop.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Tom Caldwell
Like?

Letsgokoulos wrote:

turnstyle wrote:

Letsgokoulos wrote:

PaulR wrote:

How did you shim the adapter?

If you want an accurate hard stop on infinity, the only solution is shimming the adaptor. I have made the choice of cheaper adaptors so I could purchase one per lens and then shim it accurately. Since it is dedicated to a specific lens, it never is dissassembled and therefore does not deteriorate.

Marc

I remove the steel plate of the adaptor on the lens side (usually 3 or 4 screws), then place little strips of adhesive tin/aluminum foil evenly around inside the adaptor, around the screw holes. I then reassemble the top, and check the infinity setting. If it still is not accurate, I repeat the operation. I usually have to place 2 or 3 layers of foil to get an accurate infinity setting, this is a trial and error procedure.

The Focus Assist magnification helps finding the infinity point easily, the time consuming part is the number of iterations you need to get the number of layers of foil right.

For what it's worth: short lenses have a shallow depth of focus so the shim has a larger affect on the focus scale. If shimmed accurately with a short lens it should be equally accurate with a longer lens.

I just found back a link to a more graphical explanation of the procedure.

Marc

Just double-checking -- you remove the lens side? I had thought it was body side (and, as best as I can see in the link, it looks like the body side there).

Anyhow, these manufactures should just include a few shims.

fwiw, when I tried to shim, it turned out my tiniest glasses Phillips head screwdriver was still too big. I'd rather just have an adapter that reaches infinity out-of-the-box (and plenty of people seem to have them).

Yes, it is the lens side. There usually is no plate to remove on the mount/body side.

No manufacturer offers a shimming possibility, except for the helicoid types of adapters. But the prices are not the same as standard adaptors.

The tools to use for photography hardware just are not regular tools. The phillips screwdriver do not have the correct angle, so you ought to use JIS screwdriver types (see http://www.micro-tools.de/en/Screwdrivers-oxid/Individual/JIS-Type/JIS-Type-S-Driver-Set-Pollicis.html).

If you think that it is possible to have an adaptor "that reaches inifinty out-of-the-box", I do not see why you should hesitate to purchase one. I am only advising based on my personal experience. If I had found adaptors that do not require either a shim or focus setting, I certainly would have purchased them...

With regards to the lack of accuracy of "ow cost chinese" adaptors, most of the manufacturers are equipped with either high-level accuracy lathes or CNC, so there is no reason why they should not be as accurate as the top-notch companies. The quality of materials used being, of course, a totally different matter.

Marc

I am old enough to remember how people used to laugh at and deride the Japanese manufacturers for low cost and therefore sub-standard products. Now the Japanese companies rule the camera world (or almost) and people look askance at anything not made in Japan or Germany (the latter presumably because they are expensive and therefore must be good).

Japanese cars - junk, made with chopsticks. Same thing with Korean made cars - junk, just differently shaped chopsticks. We have to draw the line between the blinkered knee jerk response and the reality on the ground. Things have changed and it is the US car industry that had to be bailed out.

Standard practice has been to dismiss Chinese gear as being made in backyard sweat shops with foot powered leathes and re-cycled tinplate. I am not an apologist for Chinese made and there are still a lot of low priced articles coming out of China but they are not all sub-standard. Many excellent quality products can be had if you buy selectively as any prudent person might do. It is human nature to want to buy a bargain, but that bargain must also be of exemplary quality lest it get tagged as cheap and nasty. If it is expensive then it is bound to be good and safe and nobody got fired for recommending IBM. But the real world is more complex than this.

Recent talk of helicoid adapters - I have the Yeenon M42 to NEX for a while now - it works perfectly and I doubt if you could find any other anywhere of higher quality manufacture. The Yeenon "Yi Neng" DKL to M42 adapters that I have are miracles of precise engineering using the highest quality material. They are expensive by Chinese standards but worth "every cent". Yeenon are not alone I have bought others but I have not bought any Chinese adapters made with sub-standard materials with the possible exception of some ultra cheap LTM-LM conversion rings that were more a slight machining problem for fit (they did fit but you had to be careful with the fit angle).

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

ropausa
Like?

Tuloom wrote:

ropausa wrote:

Yes, backordered. Out of Stock at the majors. FotoCare's site doesn't even list it.

That does not mean they don't sell it. They are in stock in the USA.

Tuloom
Like?
In reply to ropausa, 5 months ago

ropausa wrote:

Tuloom wrote:

ropausa wrote:

I called. They are out of stock. Waste of time.  All the majors are also OOS. Adorama is out. Calumet doesn't show it. 17th St. through Amazon is also out.

ropausa
Like?

Tuloom wrote:

ropausa wrote:

Tuloom wrote:

ropausa wrote:

I called. They are out of stock. Waste of time. All the majors are also OOS. Adorama is out. Calumet doesn't show it. 17th St. through Amazon is also out.

But they can all order it for you and you can have it on Tuesday if you place an order with one of them. They are in stock in the USA.

GXRuser
Like?

GXRuser wrote:

turnstyle wrote:

GXRuser wrote:

I can't answer that yet. My Novoflex Leica to NEX adapter has not arrived.

If you read my prior post, I found that my Voigtlander Leica M to micro fourthirds was exactly on spec. So was the Panasonic Leica M to micor fourthirds adapter.

My Voigtlander Leica M to NEX adapter is ever so slightly focusing just before infinity when wide open. This is with a M-Rokkor 40mm f2 and a M-Rokkor (Leitz) 90mm f4. (Both of these were spot on perfect with the Ricoh GXR Mount). When I stopped down one stop with both lenses, infinity focus has been perfect.

I have noted that with both the Rayqual Pentax DA to NEX and Novoflex Pentax DA to NEX adapters, with both the DA 70mm f2.4 and SMC M 100mm f2.8 infinity focus was achieved way before the infinity focus stop. With both of these lenses I have noted the same issue with the OEM Pentax Q K mount adapter (with leaf shutter). I have concluded that this is now a specific issue with Pentax lenses and the K mount spec, not with the Rayqual or Novoflex adapters.

I had no problems with Rayqual OM to Leica or OM to microfour thirds adapters.

My first adapter was a Minolta MD to micro four thirds adapter with the Panasonic G1. I used it with my 250mm f5.6 Reflex Rokkor mirror lens. That mirror lens was designed to focus past infinity to compensate for changes in the mirrors with different ambient temperatures. I sold that lens and adapter 3 years ago to fund other projects. From that experience, I would only use a manual focus long lens hand held with a camera with focus peaking and in body image stabilization.

I have a used Novoflex Leica M to NEX adapter on order from KEH. When I receive it I will update this posting with a comparison.

I received the used Leica M to NEX adapter. It seemed like new. The metal work is superb. When tested with the M-Rokkor 40mm f2, infinity focus was exactly on.

I then compared it to the Voigtlander adapter with the same 40mm lens and it showed perfect infinity focus with  focus peaking just just before infinity wide open at f2. Outside where I would focus by scale at infinity I would also stop down to f4 to f5.6 and infinity focus was perfect then. Depth of field is you friend.

The Voigtlander adapter is very good and is only barely second to the Nivoflex.

My plan is to use the Voigtlander when I am using the lenses hand held. When shooting on tripod for macro (using  an achromatic close up lens) I will use the Novofex adapter with the tripod collar.

If I had to sell one of these adapters I would sell the Voigtlander and keep the Novoflex.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads