Fotodiox x Novoflex x Voigtlander: M-mount adapter cagematch

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
shadowhumper
Regular MemberPosts: 207Gear list
Like?
Fotodiox x Novoflex x Voigtlander: M-mount adapter cagematch
9 months ago

I am in the market for an adapter for my A7r. I have two M-Mount Voigtlanders and I am considering buying some Zeiss as well but I am not sure which adapter to buy

• Voigtlander: seems to be the "perfect" one since it lists which lenses are tested with it. But price is the sore point
  • Novoflex: Has a good build reputation but seems waaaay over priced.
  • Fotodiox Pro: the cheapest of them all but I don't know about their qualities

I know some of yous around here have some of them and I would like to get some feedback in build quality between them and if it is really worth buying a Voigtlander instead of Fotodiox and vice versa.

Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
turnstyle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,571
Like?
Re: Fotodiox x Novoflex x Voigtlander: M-mount adapter cagematch
In reply to shadowhumper, 9 months ago

fwiw, the Voightlander focused past infinity for me, so I returned it.

They're also about to release a new helicoid adapter (and there are other helicoid adapters already available) which will enable closer focusing.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,561Gear list
Like?

shadowhumper wrote:

I am in the market for an adapter for my A7r. I have two M-Mount Voigtlanders and I am considering buying some Zeiss as well but I am not sure which adapter to buy

• Voigtlander: seems to be the "perfect" one since it lists which lenses are tested with it. But price is the sore point

I know some of yous around here have some of them and I would like to get some feedback in build quality between them and if it is really worth buying a Voigtlander instead of Fotodiox and vice versa.

There's another thread on the forum on the same subject. There seems to be just a few - perhaps, just one - Chinese manufacturer of the adapters sold by Fotodiox and others. I have 3 M mount, 1 LTM mount, 1 Nikon G and 2 Canon FD adapters that all look to be of similar manufacture. The Canon and Nikon types are more expensive ($30-40) because they have the ability to manually stop down these lenses.

All worked perfectly except for the LTM model; my Canon 135mm f3.5 rangefinder lens would not reach infinity on that one. A $20 adjustment of the lens by a local camera shop fixed that for me. It must have been a lens issue, because my other Leica and Canon thread mount lenses all work perfectly on the LTM Fotodiox adapter.

It's your money. I would buy a Fotodiox and test it, if I were you. If you're as pleased as I am, you can buy one for each lens, as I did.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
sparkie
Contributing MemberPosts: 659
Like?

Metabones > Leica M Lens to Sony NEX Adapter:

http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_LM-E-BM2

sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,255Gear list
Like?
In reply to turnstyle, 9 months ago

turnstyle wrote:

fwiw, the Voightlander focused past infinity for me, so I returned it.

They're also about to release a new helicoid adapter (and there are other helicoid adapters already available) which will enable closer focusing.

I had very good luck with an Ebay purchase of about $35 or so for a helicoid adapter for the Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.4 on my NEX 5N.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Lightshow
Senior MemberPosts: 2,431Gear list
Like?

I've not had any issues with my Fotodiox Pro adapter.

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
Letsgokoulos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,427
Like?

shadowhumper wrote:

I use a Fotodiox as a standard adapter, which does the job without problems. It is good quality and solid, and at this price I can afford purchasing one for each of my M-mount lenses, which is better than sharing an expensive one between lenses.

I also purchased a Hawk's Factory helicoid which is excellent and of high quality. I usually reserve this adapter for close focusing, it strongly reduces the minimum focusing distance on RF lenses (it reduces the MFT on my Leitz Summaron 35mm from 1m to 0.3m).

Just my 0.02€

Marc

turnstyle
Like?
In reply to Lightshow, 9 months ago

Sorry, I'm losing track -- the Fotodiox properly hits infinity?

Letsgokoulos
Like?

turnstyle wrote:

Even the high quality adaptors will not guarantee accurate infinity on the lens hard stop. They need to have a tolerance, for mechanical reasons and because each lens may have slightly different settings. Any good quality adapter will make sure that you can go past infinity, so if you want infinity you have to manually adjust before the infinity mark.

You may be lucky and have the adaptor providing infinity with a lens, but it most likely will not work 100% with other lenses in the same mount.

If you want an accurate hard stop on infinity, the only solution is shimming the adaptor. I have made the choice of cheaper adaptors so I could purchase one per lens and then shim it accurately. Since it is dedicated to a specific lens, it never is dissassembled and therefore does not deteriorate.

Marc

turnstyle
Like?
In reply to Letsgokoulos, 9 months ago

Letsgokoulos wrote:

turnstyle wrote:

Even the high quality adaptors will not guarantee accurate infinity on the lens hard stop. They need to have a tolerance, for mechanical reasons and because each lens may have slightly different settings. Any good quality adapter will make sure that you can go past infinity, so if you want infinity you have to manually adjust before the infinity mark.

You may be lucky and have the adaptor providing infinity with a lens, but it most likely will not work 100% with other lenses in the same mount.

If you want an accurate hard stop on infinity, the only solution is shimming the adaptor. I have made the choice of cheaper adaptors so I could purchase one per lens and then shim it accurately. Since it is dedicated to a specific lens, it never is dissassembled and therefore does not deteriorate.

Marc

Thanks, though I'm not so sure how accurate that is.

Voightlander, for example, will tell you that their adapter should focus on infinity when you reach the hard stop -- and plenty of people report adapters that stop where they want.

I think it may come down more to sample variation.

Also, regarding shimming -- I'd be more into that if they designed the adapters to be shimmed, and included a few shims.

Letsgokoulos
Like?

turnstyle wrote:

Voightlander, for example, will tell you that their adapter should focus on infinity when you reach the hard stop -- and plenty of people report adapters that stop where they want.

Also, regarding shimming -- I'd be more into that if they designed the adapters to be shimmed, and included a few shims.

I have not tested any Voigtländer or Novoflex adaptors, but I have tested a bunch of others, like Metabones, Kipon, Fotodiox, and no-name chinese.

I can't recall one being 100% accurate on infinity, although most were very close. It may also depend on the level of accuracy you are expecting for your photography.

But YMMV,

Marc

Tuloom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,083
Like?

Letsgokoulos wrote:

turnstyle wrote:

I have not tested any Voigtländer or Novoflex adaptors, but I have tested a bunch of others, like Metabones, Kipon, Fotodiox, and no-name chinese.

I can't recall one being 100% accurate on infinity, although most were very close. It may also depend on the level of accuracy you are expecting for your photography.

But YMMV,

Marc

I've 2 Fotodiox and a Hawk's. All 3 focus slightly past infinity. Hard to imagine one company, producing one adapter that works exactly at infinity with every M mount.

Does Voigtlander really guarantee that?

turnstyle
Like?

Letsgokoulos wrote:

turnstyle wrote:

But YMMV,

Marc

I think much of this would be moot if the adapters could simply be adjusted (by those who care), without need for MacGyver'ed DIY shims (bits of tape, aluminum foil, etc.)

turnstyle
Like?
In reply to Tuloom, 9 months ago

Tuloom wrote:

I've 2 Fotodiox and a Hawk's. All 3 focus slightly past infinity. Hard to imagine one company, producing one adapter that works exactly at infinity with every M mount.

The Voigtlander I had focused past infinity -- when I contacted them, they basically said I should return it.

I don't know what fraction of a millimeter in adapter width translates to how much ability to focus past infinity -- but I figure if a lens can mount to a body without this sort of consideration, then I would expect a well-made adapter shouldn't need to leave much room for focusing past infinity.

Letsgokoulos
Like?

turnstyle wrote:

Tuloom wrote:

The Voigtlander I had focused past infinity -- when I contacted them, they basically said I should return it.

I don't know what fraction of a millimeter in adapter width translates to how much ability to focus past infinity -- but I figure if a lens can mount to a body without this sort of consideration, then I would expect a well-made adapter shouldn't need to leave much room for focusing past infinity.

But I think this is exactly the problem, in the past infinity was not so accurate as we thought it was, but we did not have the means to check it as we do today.

If you think of the various materials used in a lens and of their expansion (shrink & stretch) through temperature, you can well imagine that there has to be a certain tolerance with the infinity setting...

Marc

turnstyle
Like?

Letsgokoulos wrote:

turnstyle wrote:

Tuloom wrote:

But I think this is exactly the problem, in the past infinity was not so accurate as we thought it was, but we did not have the means to check it as we do today.

If you think of the various materials used in a lens and of their expansion (shrink & stretch) through temperature, you can well imagine that there has to be a certain tolerance with the infinity setting...

Marc

I don't really buy the thing about expanding lenses -- sure, a great big long lens might -- but we're talking about a tiny sliver of metal between the lens and the body.

There are plenty of lens+body options that hit infinity.

Letsgokoulos
Like?

turnstyle wrote:

Letsgokoulos wrote:

turnstyle wrote:

Tuloom wrote:

Marc

I don't really buy the thing about expanding lenses -- sure, a great big long lens might -- but we're talking about a tiny sliver of metal between the lens and the body.

There are plenty of lens+body options that hit infinity.

Fine with me, no argument...

Marc

Euell
Contributing MemberPosts: 976Gear list
Like?

shadowhumper wrote:

Have had no problems with a Voigtlander bought used on Amazon. There is one for sale there used now at $125

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +15 more
shadowhumper
Regular MemberPosts: 207Gear list
Like?
In reply to Euell, 9 months ago

Euell wrote:

shadowhumper wrote:

Have had no problems with a Voigtlander bought used on Amazon. There is one for sale there used now at $125

Thanks for the info dude but I went ahead and bought a Fotodiox. The Voigtlanders will perhaps come a bit later.
Since I just opened the piggy for an A7r I did not want to bleed it dry this time (plus I can get batteries and a charger, what's up with that Sony?).

sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,459
Like?

shadowhumper wrote:

Which CV lenses?

Not all are holding up well with more distant subjects; quite a few (not speaking only of CV) do ok to great shooting close in.

The GXR/M was the best non-leica APS-C crop camera for M lenses; arguably the NEX-5N was next in that it had fewer issues than the NEX-7.

I don't think the A7/r cameras will be at the front of that list, rather towards the back. Expectations will determine if people are happy with the results.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads