XF 18 mm f 2

Started Nov 18, 2013 | Discussions
heinerpattaya
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?
XF 18 mm f 2
Nov 18, 2013

Hi guys,

2 weeks ago I bought the XE 1 with the kit lens 18-55 -  I love this camera and shoot jpegs only.IQ is head to head with my DSLR but more easy to carry around.

In the beginning I thought the slow AF is not issue but this weekend I had moving subjects indoors and I missedt some good shots - have to get used more to the camera and how it reacts.

Looking through this forum I notice that nearly nobody uses the 18 mm lens. My camera shop has a 2nd hand one for 265 $, pretty good pricing!

The reason to buy would be

a. small and pocketable

b. a bit faster.

c. fixed lenses help you to improve your photography

Any help and advice wouldl be appreciated.

BR

Heiner

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: XF 18 mm f 2
In reply to heinerpattaya, Nov 18, 2013

Hi,

First I would check to make sure that your X-E1 + 18-55 are running the latest firmware, if they are not then update them.

The 18mm is an excellent lens and one that I used the most however it's quite wide so I would check first if the 18mm end of your 18-55 suits your needs, most people including reviewers have found that the 18-55 at 18mm is sharper edge to edge than the 18mm prime.

AF indoors under low light can be a bit hit and miss on most cameras and when the subject is moving getting the AF to lock can be even more tricky.

If I were buying just one prime to add to my zoom kit I'd go with the 35 f1.4 as this does offer some advantages over the 18-55.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
1drey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,298Gear list
Like?

Heiner,

XF18mm is a good lens, I love it's compactness and decent optical performance.

Grab it is the price is great.

Bokeh is very nice!

-- hide signature --
 1drey's gear list:1drey's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +2 more
PenPix
Senior MemberPosts: 1,115
Like?
In reply to LWS2013, Nov 18, 2013

LWS2013 wrote:

Hi,

First I would check to make sure that your X-E1 + 18-55 are running the latest firmware, if they are not then update them.

The 18mm is an excellent lens and one that I used the most however it's quite wide so I would check first if the 18mm end of your 18-55 suits your needs, most people including reviewers have found that the 18-55 at 18mm is sharper edge to edge than the 18mm prime.

AF indoors under low light can be a bit hit and miss on most cameras and when the subject is moving getting the AF to lock can be even more tricky.

If I were buying just one prime to add to my zoom kit I'd go with the 35 f1.4 as this does offer some advantages over the 18-55.

I can see it being useful in a tight spaces, such as Christmas at grandma's house… or spelunking.  The 0.8 f-stop gain is not significant enough to lure me over to that lens.  Regardless, it's a steal of a deal and can be resold for what you paid… if not more.  Just make sure it works and there is no damage.

+1 with the 35mm f1.4

LWS2013… just curious as to what you use your 18mm for as that might help OP with his decision to purchase it?

Beat Traveller
Contributing MemberPosts: 622Gear list
Like?

heinerpattaya wrote:

Hi guys,

2 weeks ago I bought the XE 1 with the kit lens 18-55 - I love this camera and shoot jpegs only.IQ is head to head with my DSLR but more easy to carry around.

In the beginning I thought the slow AF is not issue but this weekend I had moving subjects indoors and I missedt some good shots - have to get used more to the camera and how it reacts.

Looking through this forum I notice that nearly nobody uses the 18 mm lens. My camera shop has a 2nd hand one for 265 $, pretty good pricing!

a. small and pocketable

b. a bit faster.

BR

Heiner

It's definitely not pocketable (unless we're talking XL cargo pants), but it is very slim. It focuses noticeably faster than the zoom.

For $265 it's a steal.

Beat Traveller's gear list:Beat Traveller's gear list
Nikon D60 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to PenPix, Nov 18, 2013

PenPix wrote:

LWS2013… just curious as to what you use your 18mm for as that might help OP with his decision to purchase it?

I used the 18mm for street photography, I'd had an M9 + 35mm lens but sold the Leica after using the X-Pro1 for a few months, even on the original firmware the 18mm focused quite fast.

Personally the 18mm is my favorite of the Fuji lenses

Stephen787
Regular MemberPosts: 241
Like?

2 weeks ago? why buy 1 and complain about focus speed? while 2 is coming out? You read the forum right. You know 1 is very slow in focus speed. 18mm will not help you in focus speed. Actually it is not the speed, but if it can find the right focus that is the biggest problem.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Stephen787, Nov 18, 2013

Stephen787 wrote:

2 weeks ago? why buy 1 and complain about focus speed? while 2 is coming out? You read the forum right. You know 1 is very slow in focus speed. 18mm will not help you in focus speed. Actually it is not the speed, but if it can find the right focus that is the biggest problem.

your reply is to my post but it makes no sense.

MJJSevilla
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?

It´s a decent lens.  I´m more of a prime lens user so I have it though since I got the 14mm I tend to use that more than the 18mm, partly because I prefer 20-24mm to 28mm but also it is noticeably better quality than the 18mm, at a significantly higher price of course so perhaps the comparison is unfair.  My most used lenses are 14mm and 35mm but before I got the 14mm I think I shot about 40-50% of my shots with the 18mm.

I think its reputation has suffered because it isn´t quite up there with the other Fuji primes which are generally great   The corners can be mushy (even stopped down to f8, at least with my copy) and there is noticeably more CA and I think a lot of people prefer the 18-55mm which is sharper at the wide end.

BUT:

These differences are of course less visible in prints than they are when zoomed into 100% on a computer screen and I´ve taken some great photos with that lens.  If the shot calls for 28mm equivalent I reach for that lens without caring.

Its faster than the zoom.

Its got good colour rendition and contrast.  If you´re not poking around in the corners looking for faults, it produces some nice images.

It´s quite compact and unobtrusive.

If you´ve got a good dea I would just get it personally.   From your list of requirements I think it would be a good match.  For te price its available at nowadays its a more than decent option.

heinerpattaya
Like?

Thanks for the replies so far, seems to be a good lens and a cheap price!!

I knew about the XE 2, but it is 300+ $ more, still not available in Thailand where I live and still cannot do some things my DSLR can do.

The situation was low and arifical light, indoors, people always moving (changing clothes) - doubt, the XE 2 would have been better.

An if you go this forum there seem to be a lot of problems with the XE 2: never buy a brandnew car or a brand new camera from the first shipping.

Cameras are for certain purposes, one does not fit for all situations. Same cars: a Porsche is good for 2 persons, if you got kids or a lot of stuff to take on a holliday you have to look somerwhere else (Cayenne!)

The better you know a camera the better you can handle it in extreme situations.

Today I put a CD together for a friend, all jepgs: the images shot with the XE 1 look amazing already, the Nikon 5 100 shots all need some PP.

Br

Heiner

Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,283
Like?

heinerpattaya wrote:

a. small and pocketable

b. a bit faster.

The main reason might be that it is smaller than the kit lens and a tiny bit faster. The main negative is it isn't as good optically as the kit lens. People find it odd that when a fixed prime lens actually underperforms a zoom. It does outperform the 27mm pancake however, so if you are looking for a smaller lighter lens you sacrifice less with it.

P.S.  At $265, I might consider buying it...but not for the $400 I usually see it selling for used.

hexxthalion
Contributing MemberPosts: 536Gear list
Like?

heinerpattaya wrote:

Hi guys,

2 weeks ago I bought the XE 1 with the kit lens 18-55 - I love this camera and shoot jpegs only.IQ is head to head with my DSLR but more easy to carry around.

In the beginning I thought the slow AF is not issue but this weekend I had moving subjects indoors and I missedt some good shots - have to get used more to the camera and how it reacts.

a. small and pocketable

b. a bit faster.

BR

Heiner

I'd get it without thinking for that price if you like 28mm equivalent angle of view. It's the lens I have literally glued on the camera when on holidays, street shooting or walks.

hexxthalion's gear list:hexxthalion's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +11 more
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,076Gear list
Like?

i own both

The 18mm is interesting IMHO for discretion (small) wide aperture for night shot, street photo

In the center the 18mm is really sharper But borders and corners are soft even at f 8 or  f10 AND there is alot of CA

All  in all I think the 18-55mm give globally bettre results

That said I had the same difficulties than you inside with kids due to low contrast

To cope with that you can try : 1/- use different size of the central AF sensor to find which setting for you is best

2/- try always to focus on a contraty area (eye, ear and hair area, ...)

Even in bright light with birds and feathers the X. can be very slow for focus due to low contrast

Another trick : just press the shitter release completely in one time without half press Most of the time it will be sharp don't wait the greeen square

These are small tips that help even if not 100% effective

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
threeOh
Regular MemberPosts: 325
Like?

For what you're trying to accomplish, the 18 would be the way I'd go. I have the 14, 18, 34, and 18-55. I do a lot of night shooting. Pros and cons of 18 within my lenses. I assume you're on the latest firmware, important.

+ the fastest focusing lens.

+ the least amount of hunting.

+ I love the contrast, others may feel otherwise. Soft, more analog, very sharp in the middle.

+ a great carry, pocketable if you ditch the hood and go with a 52-28 step down ring (no vignetting, no flare)

+ focuses close

- barrel distortion, same as 18-55 at the low end.

- f2 won't buy you enough speed versus ois and the 18-55 for low light stills.

Its my most often used lens, the price is good. I have a feeling there are responses here from people who have never used the lens let alone own it. The 35 is the last place I'd go for indoor moving objects. Use AFC. DOF of around 4 and let the iso climb. f2 buys you nothing other than out of focus shots. Shoot jpeg and use Auto DR. As baobob pointed out, don't wait for focus confirmation, just press.

Keto
Regular MemberPosts: 431
Like?
In reply to PenPix, Nov 18, 2013

LWS2013 wrote:

Hi,

I can see it being useful in a tight spaces, such as Christmas at grandma's house… or spelunking.  The 0.8 f-stop gain is not significant enough to lure me over to that lens.  Regardless, it's a steal of a deal and can be resold for what you paid… if not more.  Just make sure it works and there is no damage.

+1 with the 35mm f1.4

The 18mm is a stop faster than the kit lens, not .8 of a stop. Not huge, but could be useful.

Caerolle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,757Gear list
Like?

heinerpattaya wrote:

Hi guys,

a. small and pocketable

b. a bit faster.

BR

Heiner

I guess the 23 would be too large and expensive? That lens seems to focus very fast, and is optically awesome, plus I would think would be a better focal length for your use?

That said, you mention in a reply that you have a dSLR? Why wouldn't you just use that for this kind of shot? That is where is should really shine.

Caerolle's gear list:Caerolle's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
heinerpattaya
Like?
In reply to Caerolle, Nov 19, 2013

Hi Caerolle and all the others,

good to get some info from people who actually have the lens.

23 mm is on the list for future purchase, costs nearly as much as the whole kit after discount!

35 mm is not for me, have the Nikon 35/1.8 on the D 5 100: fst and excellent optics but too narrow!

I am livng in Thailand, here everyhting is narrow and crowded compared to Europe. Even temples and palaces you cannot get on the photo with eff. 53 mm as you are allready with your back against the next wall!

Streets are narrow, "street photography" here is mostly markets, same as above.

Read about "analog" feeling of the 18 mm, that sounds good! Sharp in the center - sounds good as well, soft corners don't bother me - might get lost in the unsharp areas (bukhe) anyway?

BR

Heiner

heinerpattaya
Like?
In reply to Caerolle, Nov 19, 2013

Actuallu have 3 cameras: D 5 100 Nikon with 4 lenses, Leica V lux 3 super zoom (+Panasonic FZ 150) and Pana FZ 28

All have pros and cons so I don't realy complain about the slow AF in the night with moving subjects.

With sunshine outside (nearly everyday in Thailand) and regarding flexebilty the old FZ 28 has the best IQ!!

BR Heiner

inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,320Gear list
Like?
In reply to heinerpattaya, Nov 19, 2013

heinerpattaya wrote:

Hi guys,

a. small and pocketable

b. a bit faster.

BR

Heiner

From your userid, heinerpattaya, are you in Thailand? If so the 18/2 was offered for sale new from Fuji dealers in Thailand as recently as last month for just under THB 7,000.

Love the 18. The only issue with it is that it has high distortion which is corrected digitally resulting in some corner softness... So unless you need it for landscpes and want to print big, not an issue IMO

heinerpattaya
Like?
In reply to inasir1971, Nov 19, 2013

The price of 7 000 b surprises me.

As far as I followed the No.1 Fuji Dealer AV Camera it is new 16 900  and this is prety much what you have to pay for!

Where did you see it for 7 000?

would be the lowest price world wide!?!?!?1

BR

Heienr

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads