Dolica Premium Traveler Costco Black Friday

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Fabian43
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
Dolica Premium Traveler Costco Black Friday
9 months ago

Hey everyone. I would like your opinion on this tripod. Item # 737220 Dolica premium traveler 60" carbon fiber monopod/tripod with ball head bundle @ Costco. It is listed for $259 but will be discounted to $199 on Black Friday. I  have a cheap $40 Sunpak but I want better quality and lighter. I have a canon 60D with 15-85 lens and a Canon G10 Camcorder. I am not a serious amateur photog but I am taking photog classes to learn how to get the most out of my equipment. Most of my shooting consists of vacations, family parties, outside sports, baby photos, etc. No landscape work or studio work. Ive decided I want a lighter tripod with smoother ball head then my current Sunpak. So...if my budget is less than $250...would this Dolica be a good choice? It doesn't have to be the "best" choice as I know everyone has differing opinions of which model is best. What other model should I consider? I like Costco's return policy so that's partly why this model intrigues me. It seems well built and I like the monopod option. this model is 60" max and I've read one shouldn't get a tripod that is shorter than your height. I'm 5'8 so should I not settle for a 60" tripod? I think this Dolica fits the bill based on my needs but just want others opinions to be sure.  Please help!

Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
janeenadamsmartin
Contributing MemberPosts: 614Gear list
Like?
Re: Dolica Premium Traveler Costco Black Friday
In reply to Fabian43, 9 months ago

I think you should go for it!  you can't lose with Costco's return policy, and I have found their buyers do a super job on value vs price point.

i just bought a top of the line tripod because I could, and I believe folks who say that as your photographic skills increase, you will end up buying a higher end one and will have wasted your money on tripod upgrades.

But that assumes you are taking photos a lot, or for a few years.  If you can justify $100 a year for a tripod that you might only use a couple years, before you want something lighter, sturdier,  it's a deal.

Make sure the bullhead is rated for the weight of your camera. if the ball head isn't sturdy enough, you will negate the stability of using a tripod.

jan

janeenadamsmartin's gear list:janeenadamsmartin's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Island Golfer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,662
Like?
manudev
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?
In reply to Island Golfer, 9 months ago

Island Golfer wrote:

I know that Costso likes to put screwy numbers on their products to try and hide what they really are; but, if I'm not mistaken, Amazon, Buydig and others are selling this same tripod fpr considerably less ($164).

http://www.amazon.com/Dolica-LX600B502DS-Professional-Lightweight-Aluminum/dp/B009YE461C

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dolica-60-Ultra-Premium-Professional-Lightweight-Aluminum-Alloy-Tripod-/321235550973?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item4acb2182fd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dolica-LX600B502DS-Professional-60-inch-Lightweight-Aluminum-Alloy-Tripod-/131008425100?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item1e80b5ec8c

-- hide signature --

truview

The model # from costco is CX600B502DS. It is of CX series which is more expensive than LX series tripods from Dolica. Your links are for LX series.

manudev's gear list:manudev's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +1 more
Island Golfer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,662
Like?
In reply to manudev, 9 months ago

Thanks, Manudev. I see that, now. $199 is a great deal! Even ebay has it listed for more ($259) than that (although it allows for a "best offer" bid).

-- hide signature --

truview

Snapshott
Senior MemberPosts: 1,859Gear list
Like?

Fabian43 wrote:

I am not a serious amateur photog but I am taking photog classes to learn how to get the most out of my equipment. Most of my shooting consists of vacations, family parties, outside sports, baby photos, etc.

Sorry I don't have any experience with the tripod you're asking about so I can't give you an opinion. If you are taking a photo class to get  the most out of your equipment I believe you ARE a serious amateur.

-- hide signature --

Snapshott

Snapshott's gear list:Snapshott's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +13 more
rashoop
Forum MemberPosts: 65Gear list
Like?
In reply to Snapshott, 9 months ago

Sounds a lot like the one discussed right here in this thread: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52106569

Bottom line is that I bought that tripod, and - with my limited use - I love it. It's easy to deploy, stable and well-made. Some will say that the center column, when fully extended, compromises stability, but with my NEX-6 and an 18-200mm lens, I haven't seen it. Bottom line is that I'm happy with my purchase, and would buy it again... but the good news is that, with Costco's incredible customer-satisfaction guarantee, I don't have to!

Buy it, use it, enjoy it.

-- hide signature --

Bob

rashoop's gear list:rashoop's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads