A beautiful mua from my shoot

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Yaamon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,739Gear list
Like?
A beautiful mua from my shoot
8 months ago

This is a candid photo of my mua from my shoot yesterday shot with the 5DII and 35mm f2.

Love her eyes, they seem to draw you in.

Yaamon's gear list:Yaamon's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Sony SLT-A35 Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,280Gear list
Like?
Re: A beautiful mua from my shoot
In reply to Yaamon, 8 months ago

She surely does look good and the light is very soft and gentle, but why have you used so much space for background and still cut off the top of her head?

MUA = Make Up Artist?

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DuaneV
Senior MemberPosts: 1,124
Like?

I agree. Too much room around her but clipping the top of her head? We can see a tree on the left, the computer directly behind her head, the computer desk, a ton of white wall, the reflector shes holding, a brown chair, gray pillow & red pillow, but her head is cut?????  Too many distractions. Had you zoomed to a much tighter crop and not had all the distractions in the shot I think it would be great. I think with a little photoshop work you can fix it. Id like to see just her, the red pillow and white background.

DenWil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,339
Like?
That's a candid alright.

Yaamon wrote:

This is a candid photo of my mua from my shoot yesterday shot with the 5DII and 35mm f2.

Love her eyes, they seem to draw you in.

With all that blown out negative space and the framing I did not even notice her eyes.

Steve Hoffmann
Contributing MemberPosts: 588
Like?

I like this shot a lot. The blown out background is good since it is minimally distracting from your model. You did say it was a candid, and for a candid, you got a very nice photo.

-- hide signature --

Steve Hoffmann
http://www.sphoto.com

Yaamon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,739Gear list
Like?
Thank you for the comments
In reply to Steve Hoffmann, 8 months ago

I crop was deliberate, and at times I prefer a tighter crop so you are drawn into the person more. There is nothing wrong to slightly crop one's head I have done this in many of my photos.

I did not want to tell her sit or stand here, the mua had a great beautiful smile as she looked towards me and this is what you can a candid photo. Every photo does not have to be technically 100% perfect, guys go out and enjoy what you see this is what makes photography fun.

Yes there is lots of space around the makeup artist but like I said it was a quick casual photo where she was holding the reflector for the model. I did not want to get her in a certain location and pose her for the photo. I did not care about the surrounds as the condo walls is mostly white and saw that this would be a good soft look.

Yaamon's gear list:Yaamon's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Sony SLT-A35 Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III
24Peter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,989
Like?
Re: Thank you for the comments

Yaamon wrote:

I crop was deliberate, and at times I prefer a tighter crop so you are drawn into the person more. There is nothing wrong to slightly crop one's head I have done this in many of my photos.

I did not want to tell her sit or stand here, the mua had a great beautiful smile as she looked towards me and this is what you can a candid photo. Every photo does not have to be technically 100% perfect, guys go out and enjoy what you see this is what makes photography fun.

Yes there is lots of space around the makeup artist but like I said it was a quick casual photo where she was holding the reflector for the model. I did not want to get her in a certain location and pose her for the photo. I did not care about the surrounds as the condo walls is mostly white and saw that this would be a good soft look.

I was holding off on commenting on your swimwear shots, but reading your responses here, I will add to the choir and state that your cropping/compositions are not as pleasing as they could be. It's not about technical perfection - it's about aesthetically pleasing shots with balance and symmetry. For me, cutting off crowns of heads when you're making an otherwise wide angle shot lacks symmetry - no matter how many times you've done it. And for this particular image, the foreground/background clutter adds nothing of interest. (I agree your subject is attractive in many ways, none of which you've really highlighted here for us.)

Yes composition is a matter or taste and preference but your somewhat defensive responses indicate maybe you don't believe in your own aesthetic as much as you think you do? If you feel that strongly, don't explain or defend your choices. Thank people for their input and move on.

Henry Stamm
Senior MemberPosts: 2,082
Like?

I like it.  Perhaps it could be improved.  So for grins, try cropping on the camera left close to her hair.  Crop the bottom to her hand.  Very slightly crop the right to lessen the amount of negative space.  Unlike the negative critiques, I think this one can stand on its own merits.  I like the blown out white--works very well to emphasize her as the subject.  My take on head crop is that if you do it, it needs to have the bottom crop to be similar.  But my comments are simply nit-picks, nothing more.  It's a good shot as is.  The negative critiques seem to come from folks who very much like standard portraits and there is nothing wrong with their ideas from that perspective, but what some find distracting, others find interesting and worthwhile.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads