Yet *another* XZ-1 lens copycat!

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,181Gear list
Like?
Yet *another* XZ-1 lens copycat!
9 months ago

So far this lens now is being used in FOUR separate bodies across THREE brands.  Even being the gearhead I am I can't keep track of which is which.

Someone needs to break down what are the primary distinguishing features between the different bodies attached to this incredible lens.

XZ-1 - The *OG* and CCD variant!

XZ-2 - ?

MX-1 - ?

EX-10 - ?

What does the casio one do different...double as a graphing calculator?  1/4k shutter thats an improvement no?  Really good burst (10 fps?) and native DNG Raws?  Good battery life...

Maybe its the EX-10 that will be my XZ-1's successor.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
Casio Exilim EX-10 Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ben O Connor
Contributing MemberPosts: 796Gear list
Like?
Oh God
In reply to Timbukto, 9 months ago

Everyone is agreed on that; XZ-1 is the most succesfull P&S Enthusiast cam that Olympus brought... but now it start to feel disturbingly succesfull...

Same optical system existed over 3 years under the same brand´s roof.... and sold to two other producers? I guess Olympus earns more from licencing than product sales on P&S market.

Stylus 1 just arrived on a right time. Seems like Olympus becoming the top 3 brand in P&S cams (Together with sony & fujifilm) For me Oly is on top... but for others it may vary.

I personally think that Biggest 2 SLR makers (don´t want to say best brands.) more concentreate on DSLR´s that their P&S cams are no brainer.

Regards

Ben

Ben O Connor's gear list:Ben O Connor's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN Nokia Lumia 1520 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
joe6pack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,067Gear list
Like?
Yike!

EX-10:

Weight (inc. batteries) 384 g (0.85 lb / 13.55 oz)
Dimensions 120 x 68 x 49 mm (4.72 x 2.67 x 1.91?)

XZ-2:

Weight (inc. batteries) 346 g (0.76 lb / 12.20 oz)
Dimensions 113 x 65 x 48 mm (4.45 x 2.56 x 1.89?)

Some how CASIO managed to make the camera even heavier and bigger!

While the ability to flip the screen 180 degrees for self portrait is very nice. The bigger body is a failure in my book...

joe6pack's gear list:joe6pack's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Corel Aftershot Pro IrfanView
Timbukto
Like?
Re: Oh God
In reply to Ben O Connor, 9 months ago

Ben O Connor wrote:

Everyone is agreed on that; XZ-1 is the most succesfull P&S Enthusiast cam that Olympus brought... but now it start to feel disturbingly succesfull...

Same optical system existed over 3 years under the same brand´s roof.... and sold to two other producers? I guess Olympus earns more from licencing than product sales on P&S market.

Stylus 1 just arrived on a right time. Seems like Olympus becoming the top 3 brand in P&S cams (Together with sony & fujifilm) For me Oly is on top... but for others it may vary.

I personally think that Biggest 2 SLR makers (don´t want to say best brands.) more concentreate on DSLR´s that their P&S cams are no brainer.

Regards

Ben

No OG does not stand for Oh God.

I'm going to calll my XZ-1 the OGXZ-1.  All these other creations are his grandchildren.

BTW do we really know if the XZ-1 was really an olympus design or was it perhaps a Sanyo design or some OEM company that has been around town a few times ;p.

Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
Timbukto
Like?
Re: Yike!
In reply to joe6pack, 9 months ago

joe6pack wrote:

EX-10:

Weight (inc. batteries) 384 g (0.85 lb / 13.55 oz)
Dimensions 120 x 68 x 49 mm (4.72 x 2.67 x 1.91?)

XZ-2:

Weight (inc. batteries) 346 g (0.76 lb / 12.20 oz)
Dimensions 113 x 65 x 48 mm (4.45 x 2.56 x 1.89?)

Some how CASIO managed to make the camera even heavier and bigger!

While the ability to flip the screen 180 degrees for self portrait is very nice. The bigger body is a failure in my book...

I see that, the OGXZ-1 was the leanest and meanest...kids these days need to go on a diet!

Aaron Sur
Contributing MemberPosts: 930
Like?
Re: Oh God
In reply to Ben O Connor, 9 months ago

You ok mate?

When  looked at DPR today and saw that the first thing I thought is that Ben will have a fit.

That is some special glass that we have on our "Old" cameras.Such an occasion deserves a special image from this Zuiko

Aaron

Aaron Sur
Like?
Re: Yike!

The definition of "compact" seems to be a very loose one in the camera world.

Jimmy jang Boo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,283Gear list
Like?
It looks like an XZ-1 but...

The Casio has a magnesium alloy body vs XZ-1 metal body, a back lit illuminated CMOS sensor vs a CCD, a superior articulating screen, 1/4000 max shutter speed vs 1/2000, 455 shots on the battery vs 320, an independent battery charger vs in camera charging, higher resolution video with slow motion settings, built in electronic level, 5 axis image stabilization... yeah, I think I'm gonna sell my XZ-1 now while I can.

Jimmy jang Boo's gear list:Jimmy jang Boo's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1
Aaron Sur
Like?
Re: It looks like an XZ-1 but...
In reply to Jimmy jang Boo, 9 months ago

Then you will have to work your way through the cobwebs at the casio forumĀ 

and people thought this was a quiet village.

KLinLA
Regular MemberPosts: 249Gear list
Like?
Re: Yet *another* XZ-1 lens copycat!

The Olym XZ-1/XZ-2 lens is a pretty good design (compact and bright).  I guess Olympus needs the cash, plus Pentax and Casio probably don't have the resources to independently come up with similar lens.

KLinLA's gear list:KLinLA's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads