weight of FE 55mm lens

Started 5 months ago | Questions
DYpic
Forum MemberPosts: 63Gear list
Like?
weight of FE 55mm lens
5 months ago

Doesn't show on the sony site, nor B&H, i wonder any one has this data, just the size it is almost larger vs the new nikon 50mm 1.8 lens. I've pre-ordered the A7, but i wonder how the AF will perform vs the Nikon Df, the A7+FE50mm vs A7r+FE50mm vs Nikon Df +AFS 50MM = $2700 vs $3300 vs $3000

weight different and AF speed could be the major factor for me to choose with set to settle with.

The A7r is out of questions because i don't see the premium of $600 over A7 and lacking few features, none the less it should be considered.

Please share your logic

thank you

DYpic's gear list:DYpic's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +12 more
ANSWER:
Nikon Df Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
EinsteinsGhost
Senior MemberPosts: 8,852Gear list
Like?
Re: weight of FE 55mm lens
In reply to DYpic, 5 months ago

Doesn't show on the sony site, nor B&H, i wonder any one has this data, just the size it is almost larger vs the new nikon 50mm 1.8 lens. I've pre-ordered the A7, but i wonder how the AF will perform vs the Nikon Df, the A7+FE50mm vs A7r+FE50mm vs Nikon Df +AFS 50MM = $2700 vs $3300 vs $3000

weight different and AF speed could be the major factor for me to choose with set to settle with.

The A7r is out of questions because i don't see the premium of $600 over A7 and lacking few features, none the less it should be considered.

Please share your logic

thank you

Its 281g.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,406
Like?

DYpic wrote:

Please share your logic

The A7 or A7r cameras aren't comparable to the Nikon Df in any meaningful way.

PS: The FE55 optically is almost certainly far better than the Nikkor 50/1.8G and likely is on par or better than the Nikkor 58mm/1.4G ($1,700).

It weighs very little and is small in my medium sized hands and fits the camera well.

FE55/1.8

EinsteinsGhost
Like?
BTW

Please share your logic

thank you

Size is not entirely dependent on specs. A lens can gain size quickly with solid optical qualities. Take a look at Zeiss Otus 55/1.4.... A lens that we should compare the Sony Zeiss 55/1.8 with.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Spunky8
Contributing MemberPosts: 608Gear list
Like?
In reply to sroute, 5 months ago

For a normal lens, the new FE 55 looks quite large for the genre.  That would be a negative for me.

Spunky8's gear list:Spunky8's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
DYpic
Like?
Re: BTW
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 5 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Please share your logic

thank you

Size is not entirely dependent on specs. A lens can gain size quickly with solid optical qualities. Take a look at Zeiss Otus 55/1.4.... A lens that we should compare the Sony Zeiss 55/1.8 with.

Thanks for putting up a fast answer!

The Otus is manual focus...not what i'm looking for, for my own consideration the quality of the combos listed initially would all satisfy my need for final image quality, thus the important measure of difference is the Af and weight, I have used Nex7 & Zeiss 24mm combo since day one, yet i find the size of the lens still obtrusive and the AF and low light have much room to improve.

Thus Nikkor 50mm AF-D(the afs is only 1.8, i meant to compare with the AfD 50mm which sells about the same)  would be not only cheaper in price, but if also smaller and lighter and one stop faster, might shift the scale here, the Df body is still heavy and i doubt the combo would be 'pocketable' but i'd like to think about how much more or less 'pocketable' is it vs the sony set.

It would be nice to dig up some real world comparison on the improvement of AF with on sensor pdaf, i think i read in another post, in low light it is not better (nex6 vs 7 af speed?)

" is a technical challenge to nail the focus on a 36-megapixel DSLR at ƒ/1.4 to garner the full optical quality, but when this happens, the results are spectacular in effect."

-http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/photography/hands-reviews/zeiss-otus-55mm-f14-apo-distagon

Otus is superb no doubt, but its not what i need.

Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +12 more
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 12,547Gear list
Like?
In reply to Spunky8, 5 months ago

Spunky8 wrote:

For a normal lens, the new FE 55 looks quite large for the genre. That would be a negative for me.

Maybe wait until a cheap 50mm f/2 to 2.8 is released? If anyone ever does.

Given the MTF charts on Sony it looks like its extra size goes to making it perform quite well even wide open on a full frame sensor.

To the OP, best source of info on the Sony lenses is from Sony.net:

http://www.sony.net/Products/di/en-us/products/lenses/lineup/

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +7 more
DYpic
Like?
In reply to viking79, 5 months ago

tks, indeed it has more info.

DYpic
Like?

NICE! Is this at a trade show or you manage to get one already?

EinsteinsGhost
Like?

For a normal lens, the new FE 55 looks quite large for the genre.  That would be a negative for me.

As I said, size has more to do with optical refinements which was obviously a priority with development of Sony 55/1.8.

And there is no better illustration of this than Zeiss Otus, a 55/1.4 lens built to be flawless wide open and even without AF etc, it is huge.

Minolta 50/1.4 (same size as Minolta 50/1.7), OTOH, was a tiny lens: about 37mm long (with a deeply recessed front element) and 49mm filter size. But I doubt you would like to see its (and Nikon 50/1.4) MTF chart at 40 lpm that you would with Sony 55/1.8 and Zeiss 55/1.4.

But if size matters more, obviously better to go with the many 50mm options.

Spunky8
Contributing MemberPosts: 608Gear list
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 5 months ago

I have little doubt that the new 55 lens will be a fine performer.

I've ordered the A7 and plan to use a Zuiko 50mm 1.8 as my normal lens.  It is a fine lens, very small in size, and I'm sure it's going to perform very nicely on the R7---at least I hope it will.

For me, the big advantage of the A7 is full-frame in a small sized body.  What I don't want to happen is have the size advantage defeated by large lenses.  If I wanted that, I'd just stick with my Canon 5D and the larger lenses that fit it.

I'm just saying that the larger size of th3 55 might outweigh any theoretical increase in quality.

Spunky8's gear list:Spunky8's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
sroute
Like?

The FE55 compares optically with the Nikkor 58 which cost 1700 dollars and is larger. it doesn't make sense to compare the 55 Sony with any other Nikon lens currently made in the normal range.

I can fit the A7r into a very small camera bag that I used to carry a NEX5N with a Zeiss 35 millimeter manual focus lens.

the bag fit that old camera with a little bit of room to spare, but not much. The new a 7 cameras fit in the bag with the FE55 millimeter lens.

I never considered either camera as being small enough for a pocket.

sroute
Like?

if you have not yet handled the new cameras, it can be hard to fully appreciate just how small they are. Check out this link, perhaps it will help

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39900657@N08/10687602026/

DYpic
Like?

sroute wrote:

The FE55 compares optically with the Nikkor 58 which cost 1700 dollars and is larger. it doesn't make sense to compare the 55 Sony with any other Nikon lens currently made in the normal range.

I can fit the A7r into a very small camera bag that I used to carry a NEX5N with a Zeiss 35 millimeter manual focus lens.

the bag fit that old camera with a little bit of room to spare, but not much. The new a 7 cameras fit in the bag with the FE55 millimeter lens.

I have yet to find 3rd party review on the lens' performance, may be you can post a link showing side by side.

I've used the nikon 50mm afs g and afd and their performance suits my need well, and the AF-D 1.4 is really what i'm comparing the fe 55 with, for real world usage.

Agree, its the way the lens stuck out that makes it hard to pocket, a nice pancake would have been a grand solution, none the less the smaller the form the better.

DYpic
Like?

sroute wrote:

if you have not yet handled the new cameras, it can be hard to fully appreciate just how small they are. Check out this link, perhaps it will help

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39900657@N08/10687602026/

http://snapsort.com/compare/Sony-A7-vs-Sony-NEX-7

thanks for the link, i've enjoyed the nex 7 and 24mm combo for a while, which is why i don't want to 'upsize' too much when reaching for FF

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 12,547Gear list
Like?

Spunky8 wrote:

I've ordered the A7 and plan to use a Zuiko 50mm 1.8 as my normal lens. It is a fine lens, very small in size, and I'm sure it's going to perform very nicely on the R7---at least I hope it will.

I agree, but size wise it isn't much different than the new ZEISS. The new 55mm is not as large as it looks as the camera is smaller than it appears. The Sony E 50mm f/1.8 is 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 inches, and the new ZEISS is 2 5/8 x 2 7/8 inches. That is only 3/8 longer and 1/8 wider than the E 50mm f/1.8. The extra length is in part due to the increased focal length of the lens.

The 55mm isn't much bigger than OM 50mm plus adapter, which I am sure will be great too.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +7 more
sroute
Like?

If you align the two bodies together (not done in this view) you'll find the NEX-7 w/24 Zeiss and the A7r with 55/1.8 are about the same depth.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#33.85,488.395,ha,t

The viewfinder hood protrudes farther on the A7r; some of the depth difference is located there.

Now if you compare effective focal length to focal length, the NEX-7 w 24/1.8 Zeiss (effective full frame field of view: 35mm) to the A7r 35/2.8, here's what you get:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#33.85,488.394,ha,t

Which camera is more compact now?

Yes, the 35/2.8 is one and a half stops slower than the 24/1.8. I think it's a good trade off Zeiss made to produce a small lens of very good performance.

EinsteinsGhost
Like?

DYpic wrote:

sroute wrote:

I have yet to find 3rd party review on the lens' performance, may be you can post a link showing side by side.

I've used the nikon 50mm afs g and afd and their performance suits my need well, and the AF-D 1.4 is really what i'm comparing the fe 55 with, for real world usage.

Agree, its the way the lens stuck out that makes it hard to pocket, a nice pancake would have been a grand solution, none the less the smaller the form the better.

While not a pancake, the Sony Zeiss 35/2.8 gets close to it and perhaps designed with that idea in mind (while providing the same FOV and DOF on A7 as 24/1.8 does on NEX-7). It is only 120g too. The Sony Zeiss 55/1.8 is actually almost the same size as Sony Zeiss 24/1.8, just a tad thicker but still only a 49mm filter size (and a tad heavier, 281g versus 225g).

Here's a Size Comparison: A7 (35/2.8) vs A7 (55/1.8) vs Df (50/1.8)

(Nikon 50/1.4 is slightly longer and thicker than the 50/1.8). And just for fun:

A7 (20mm f/2.8 E) vs A7 (35mm f/2.8 FE)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads