Question about Macro with XZ-1/2

Started Nov 14, 2013 | Discussions
Marla
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,796Gear list
Like?
Question about Macro with XZ-1/2
Nov 14, 2013

Just to begin by saying that I am asking this question just out of curiosity.

The question I have is regarding the difference in the process of shooting with a macro-capable compact versus an interchangeable lens camera and macro lens.

My main camera is the E-M5 and I recently purchased an XZ-1.  I've always loved viewing macro images, but never tried macro myself.   Recently, I considered purchasing a macro lens for the E-M5 until I viewed some of the incredibly beautiful macros on this forum shot with the XZ-1 and XZ-2.

My question: why is the process so easy using an XZ-1/2 or other macro capable compact compared to using a macro lens on an interchangeable lens camera?

With the macro lens, the set up is more complicated.  Most people use a tripod, ring flash or other flash/light, etc.  Also, it appears to me that the process of trying to get a good macro image from the lens is a lot more time-consuming and challenging.

I understand that using more professional/expensive equipment, obviously the images will be above the quality that a P&S can produce.  But this is not what I'm talking about.

I'm just wondering why the process seems less complicated, and the results are more than satisfactory from the XZ-1/2 cameras.  I'd like to give macro a "shot" with my XZ-1  -  one reason I purchased it.

Thanks for any information, comments, whatever!

-- hide signature --

Maria

Marla's gear list:Marla's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sho-Bud
Regular MemberPosts: 351Gear list
Like?
Re: Question about Macro with XZ-1/2
In reply to Marla, Nov 14, 2013

I think it's all about optical quality. On a camera like the XZ-1, you get a zoom lens and macro lens in one (because there is no possibility to change the lens).  I believe that no one will accept the compromises in lens quality on a system camera, that allows you to put a specialized lens on it.

-- hide signature --

###Olympus XZ-1, Olympus SP550UZ; Olympus 2003 Ferrari Edition, Capture One 7###

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cainn24
Senior MemberPosts: 2,551
Like?

You don't get anywhere near the degree of optical magnification with a camera like the XZ-1 vs a good macro lens.  Also, and this is sometimes crucial, the right sort of macro lens allows you to be further away from your subject.

No Regrets
Contributing MemberPosts: 861Gear list
Like?

Hi Maria,

I've never had the opportunity to use a fancy camera with separate lenses yet, so I have no idea why it may seem more complicated to use a camera system with dedicated macro lens vs a simple little compact like my XZ-1. It's my goal to have a nice camera system with interchangeable lens sometime in this coming year, but in the meantime I can't find too much to fault with what my first little beginner camera has done for me…..take a look at 100%   No Regrets

No Regrets's gear list:No Regrets's gear list
Nikon Df Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A
RaymondR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,870Gear list
Like?

I have an E-PL2 and the Oly 60 macro.   I also have an XZ-2.  I do macro and close up work with both.

If I am carrying the XZ-2, odds are I don't have a tripod with me, don't have flash other than onboard with me, etc.  So in one sense it is "easier" because I just take what I can handheld.  The results are sometimes more satisfying because the smaller sensor of the XZ-2 gives more depth of field, thus making getting a decent portion of the image in proper focus easier.  The faster lens of the XZ-2 helps sometimes too vs. the Oly 60 macro (2.8) or the Oly 4/3 35mm 3.5 macro I used before I got the 60.

-- hide signature --

RaymondR

RaymondR's gear list:RaymondR's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Nikon D40 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
Marla
Like?
In reply to Sho-Bud, Nov 14, 2013

Sho-Bud wrote:

I think it's all about optical quality. On a camera like the XZ-1, you get a zoom lens and macro lens in one (because there is no possibility to change the lens). I believe that no one will accept the compromises in lens quality on a system camera, that allows you to put a specialized lens on it.

Thanks for your input.  Now that I have the XZ-1 I'm anxious to try out some macro shots.  I've always loved to view macro, but never tried it myself.

-- hide signature --

Maria

Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Marla
Like?
In reply to cainn24, Nov 14, 2013

cainn24 wrote:

You don't get anywhere near the degree of optical magnification with a camera like the XZ-1 vs a good macro lens. Also, and this is sometimes crucial, the right sort of macro lens allows you to be further away from your subject.

Thank you for your comments.  I was looking at the Oly 60mm macro for $499 for my E-M5.  However, before spending the money, I'm going to try out my recently purchased XZ-1 first and see how I do.  If I really get into it, I may decide to get the lens....or not.

-- hide signature --

Maria

Marla
Like?
In reply to No Regrets, Nov 14, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience, and for posting the photos.  Once again, seeing such nice images done with the XZ-1, it encourages me.

My XZ-1 just arrived today and I'm so happy I decided to order it!  I forgot how much I enjoyed this camera when I owned it a few years ago.

-- hide signature --

Maria

Ben O Connor
Contributing MemberPosts: 833Gear list
Like?

Marla wrote:

My question: why is the process so easy using an XZ-1/2 or other macro capable compact compared to using a macro lens on an interchangeable lens camera?

With the macro lens, the set up is more complicated. Most people use a tripod, ring flash or other flash/light, etc. Also, it appears to me that the process of trying to get a good macro image from the lens is a lot more time-consuming and challenging.

Hello Marla

First of all I agree, doing (super)macro on XZ-1 is schokingly easy. It is so capable that, I can take my laptop´s screen pixels... or something like this, in a gifted situation, at right time.

Check at %100 to see more deatil (such as fly´s eye brows etc...)

Those were as big as (together) my forefinger´s nail!...

But as you know, DOF is a bit of an issue... with a 1/1,7" sensor size  its not easy to seperate the subject from backround (even by f 1.8 lens!)  But by my sigma 30mm F2.8 art DN lens, the DOF is better and results are more deatiled. And also shooting bee´s kinda issues could be a problem... hence all thse, I am still thinking that I will puu the trigger on Olympus 60mm F 2.8 macro lens after Xmas... and not you say

"Why is it so harder to take macro shoot by an Inter changable lens camera, compare to P&S ? Is it raeally hard ? Just wondering as a beginner.

Thanks to inform

Ben

Ben O Connor's gear list:Ben O Connor's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Marla
Like?
In reply to RaymondR, Nov 14, 2013

RaymondR wrote:

I have an E-PL2 and the Oly 60 macro. I also have an XZ-2. I do macro and close up work with both.

If I am carrying the XZ-2, odds are I don't have a tripod with me, don't have flash other than onboard with me, etc. So in one sense it is "easier" because I just take what I can handheld. The results are sometimes more satisfying because the smaller sensor of the XZ-2 gives more depth of field, thus making getting a decent portion of the image in proper focus easier. The faster lens of the XZ-2 helps sometimes too vs. the Oly 60 macro (2.8) or the Oly 4/3 35mm 3.5 macro I used before I got the 60.

Thanks for sharing your experience and how the smaller sensor will give more DOF - makes sense. I love the fast lens of the XZ-1/2.

Reading your comments encourages me in my decision to try some macro shots with my recently purchased (2nd time around) XZ-1. I will use it as my every day carry-with-me camera so it will be with me if I run into a bug or flower or something.

If I enjoy macro as much as I like viewing the images around here, I have the option of purchasing the Oly 60 macro to use with my E-M5 at some point.

I appreciate your input.

-- hide signature --

Maria

Marla
Like?
In reply to Ben O Connor, Nov 14, 2013

Ben O Connor wrote:

Hello Marla

First of all I agree, doing (super)macro on XZ-1 is schokingly easy. It is so capable that, I can take my laptop´s screen pixels... or something like this, in a gifted situation, at right time.

Those were as big as (together) my forefinger´s nail!...

The image is excellent. A sample of some of the beautiful macro images I've seen on this forum shot with the XZ-1 or XZ-2.

But as you know, DOF is a bit of an issue... with a 1/1,7" sensor size its not easy to seperate the subject from backround (even by f 1.8 lens!) But by my sigma 30mm F2.8 art DN lens, the DOF is better and results are more deatiled. And also shooting bee´s kinda issues could be a problem... hence all thse, I am still thinking that I will puu the trigger on Olympus 60mm F 2.8 macro lens after Xmas... and not you say

"Why is it so harder to take macro shoot by an Inter changable lens camera, compare to P&S ? Is it raeally hard ? Just wondering as a beginner.

Thanks to inform

Ben

I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with the XZ-1. I think I "won't" start with bees or with anything that moves. That Olympus 60mmf2/8 macro is calling out to me! However, I need to see how I like shooting in macro before I take that leap!

Thanks again. I appreciate your input and for including the fine macro shot.

-- hide signature --

Maria

LucaPCP
Contributing MemberPosts: 582Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marla, Nov 16, 2013

I have a setup that I LOVE for macros, let me share it with the group.

I have an E-5, but surely a MFT would also work.  I use a Sigma 105 f/2.8 macro lens, ISO around 400, f/8, and the E-5 flash.  The lens is super-sharp, and I have about 30cm (1 ft) of working distance, which enables me to get insects etc without scaring them away.

This setup is very simple to use, and the results are fantastic.

The XZ type of cameras work very nicely, but the problem is the small working distance.

-- hide signature --

Luca

LucaPCP's gear list:LucaPCP's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus E-5
radpa
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
In reply to LucaPCP, Nov 21, 2013

check this out:

http://robinwong.blogspot.co.at/2012/10/olympus-stylus-xz-2-review-macro-and.html

-- hide signature --

XZ-1/2 4ever
No Kangaroos in Austria

radpa's gear list:radpa's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Olympus PEN E-PM2 DxO Optics Pro Standard Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
johntwice
Junior MemberPosts: 36Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marla, Nov 21, 2013

I love shooting macros with my XZ-1. Sometimes these small things are enjoying their meals and let me get close..

Mr Bee

johntwice's gear list:johntwice's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Olympus XZ-1
Sho-Bud
Regular MemberPosts: 351Gear list
Like?
In reply to johntwice, Nov 21, 2013

-- hide signature --

###Olympus XZ-1, Olympus SP550UZ; Olympus 2003 Ferrari Edition, Capture One 7###

Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 2,449Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sho-Bud, Nov 22, 2013

Thanks for sharing. That last one is extraordinary.

phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,350Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marla, Nov 22, 2013

Hi Marla,

I am one in the camp where I love shooting macros with my XZ-1 but I do find with some things like bees or dragon flies its easier with a longer lens and that why I am considering the Stylus 1 and the Panasonic FZ200.   I also have used something called a Raynox DCR-250 on the end of my lens to get closer.  My only problem with longer larger glass on a DSLR is that it is heavier and zooming in like that does make hand holding very difficult.  So thats when you try to put it on a tripod and you want a ring flash because you have to go to f8 or more sometimes to get the subject in focus and by then it is dark even in bright light.

Shot with XZ-1.  The XZ-1 fit in larger pockets and went with my everywhere until

Until I bought the Panasonic LF1.  This one has a more zoom and is smaller.  Not as good for portraits but it has some cool low light shots modes that are stunning.  I shot bees with the XZ-1 too, but this was way to easy to get with the LF1

This was my Canon T1i with the 50mm on it but with a Raynox DCR-250 clipped on the end.

-- hide signature --

www.scottzinda.com

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads