A7 vs A7R for Canon User.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
facedodge
Regular MemberPosts: 306Gear list
Like?
A7 vs A7R for Canon User.
11 months ago

I'm a Canon user who is considering buying an A7 or A7R as it is the first time a dual system appealed to me.

Let me know if I have something wrong...

A7R advantages are more megapixels, no low pass filter, magnesium alloy front plate, first curtain flash sync, and 1/250 sec flash sync.

A7 advantages are $600 less expensive, hybrid AF, extra .5 fps.

I would be in the A7R camp no doubt except for the AF concern. Will phase detection work on Canon glass? Are there any reviews with Canon glass and the metabones adapter?

facedodge's gear list:facedodge's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +4 more
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Aeturnum
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
Re: A7 vs A7R for Canon User.
In reply to facedodge, 11 months ago

I've seen some image samples from FD lenses on the A7r. If you want info on the metabones adapter, I would guess the reviews from the NEX line of cameras would serve you well. The information on the phase detect pixels is a little sparse, but I gather that they are mostly used for tracking subjects (they can tell the difference between something moving away and toward). I do not know that the A7 has faster AF when using them (though it may). I expect that the phase detect will work for any lens the normal AF works on, as they're on the same sensor.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sassenach74
Regular MemberPosts: 375Gear list
Like?

facedodge wrote:

I'm a Canon user who is considering buying an A7 or A7R as it is the first time a dual system appealed to me.

A7R advantages are more megapixels, no low pass filter, magnesium alloy front plate, first curtain flash sync, and 1/250 sec flash sync.

I would be in the A7R camp no doubt except for the AF concern. Will phase detection work on Canon glass? Are there any reviews with Canon glass and the metabones adapter?

Just so you know, it's the A7 that has 1/250 flash sync, the A7R is 1/160

-- hide signature --

sassenach74's gear list:sassenach74's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +2 more
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,511Gear list
Like?

facedodge wrote:

A7r advantages are video quality (less video artifacts) in addition to what you mention.  Has only 1/160 flash sync speed.  Slower moving shutter, maybe to reduce shutter vibrations from lack of electronic first curtain.

A7 has electronic first curtain (can be turned on or off), 1/250 flash sync.

No it won't work with Canon glass, focus likely similar for that case, but it will be very slow with adapter anyway.

I am getting A7 as I intend to use it in low light situations, like weddings and events.  I would like 36 MP version for lens testing, but can't justify the extra price.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
facedodge
Regular MemberPosts: 306Gear list
Like?
In reply to sassenach74, 11 months ago

Really? That doesn't make sense. I would have thought the higher end model got the goodies, except for FPS due to pixel count.

facedodge's gear list:facedodge's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +4 more
sassenach74
Regular MemberPosts: 375Gear list
Like?

facedodge wrote:

Really? That doesn't make sense. I would have thought the higher end model got the goodies, except for FPS due to pixel count.

I agree you would think that, there are theories floating around as to why the slower sync speed, I forget what they are but alas it is so. Hasn't stopped me ordering the a7R to use with my metabones and canon lenses.

-- hide signature --

sassenach74's gear list:sassenach74's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +2 more
MusicmanUK
Contributing MemberPosts: 591
Like?
Metabones specs
In reply to viking79, 11 months ago

viking79 wrote:

No it won't work with Canon glass, focus likely similar for that case, but it will be very slow with adapter anyway.

You'll need the Mark III adapter to work with the A7 bodies - Metabones have stated that earlier versions will not.

As noted above by Viking, it doesn't use phase detect AF with the existing NEX bodies that have it, so I wouldn't hold out much hope for the A7.

It is also limited in which EF lenses will work with Contrast Detect AF

Specs and compatibility here

http://www.metabones.com/sony/buy-eos-nex-adapter

Rob

-- hide signature --
mikiev
Senior MemberPosts: 1,090Gear list
Like?
A7 in low light?
In reply to viking79, 11 months ago

viking79 wrote:

I am getting A7 as I intend to use it in low light situations, like weddings and events.

I thought the A7 shifted to purely CDAF in "less than decent" light... so wouldn't that be problematic - if true - for your intended use?

mikiev's gear list:mikiev's gear list
Epson Stylus Photo R2880
Richard Ettinger
Senior MemberPosts: 1,066Gear list
Like?

facedodge wrote:

I've been using a NEX 7 with my canon glass since I got it. I've only really used it as a manual focus lens. I did rent a speed booster for a weekend and found the AF to be too slow for my purposes although I loved the image quality. Debated whether to buy a Speed Booster but the FF rumors were starting to heat up, so I waited. Glad I did.

I vacillated between the 7 and the 7r. I've pre ordered an A7 and think that's the right move for me. With the $$$ saved and selling off the Canon body and accessories, I'll be able to finance the zeiss 35.

That's the plan as of today.  Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Canon 40D. Canon 50mm f1.4, canon 135mm 2.8/soft focus, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 24-105L. Sony Nex-7.

Richard Ettinger's gear list:Richard Ettinger's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.8 SF +5 more
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,341
Like?

facedodge wrote:

Not getting into the A7/A7r debate - others have studied this better than I have.

Based on the NEX phase detect - when you get into the NEX manuals in detail you find that on the NEX it only work with certain lenses and then only if their firmware has been upgraded to suit (or made that way).  As a consequence phase detect does not work with electonic adapters mated to Canon EF lenses.  If the Sony bodies had firmware hooks that could be tapped that would be fine but I guess the problem is that the Canon lenses would have to be responsive to the Sony phase detect signals - one can hope I suppose ... but I suggest we don't wait up Canon might want to keep a few secrets.  I think it has to be taken "as read" that Canon EF lenses are quite capable of talking to Canon dslr bodies when the subject of phase detection crops up.

Meanwhile based on the current crop of electronic adapters the Metabones variety restrict AF capability to EF lenses made since "about 2006" for some reason whereas the RJ Chinese version (at least) seems to focus most any EF lens no matter when it was built.

But only the Metabones Smart Adapter III is proven known to be suitable for FF sensor use, Viltrox has made an obtuse claim that their current electronic adapter "might" be suitable and RJ has foreshadowed that they have one that might not be too far away.

There must be a lot of review opinions on the web regarding Canon glass and the Metabones and other adapters.  I have the Speed Booster and the RJ Glassless adapter and they both work fine.  Slow accurate contrast detect AF - quicker on lighter lenses - with the above-mentioned caveats and easy to use MF.  No problems.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,422
Like?

There is a downsite to the extra MP of the A7r, it is harder to get all the puxels sharp. Every little miss in focus, every camera shake, need of better lenses (CA, distortion etc will show more with the smaller pixels at 100%). But when used right the more MP will deliver more details in very large print or crop.For me the extra resolution is enough to make me pay the extra $600.

m

Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,341
Like?
In reply to nevercat, 11 months ago

nevercat wrote:

There is a downsite to the extra MP of the A7r, it is harder to get all the puxels sharp. Every little miss in focus, every camera shake, need of better lenses (CA, distortion etc will show more with the smaller pixels at 100%). But when used right the more MP will deliver more details in very large print or crop.For me the extra resolution is enough to make me pay the extra $600.

m

I also get the impression that the A7r is aimed more towards the MF lens user - might I be right in this assmption?

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,422
Like?
In reply to Tom Caldwell, 11 months ago

Tom Caldwell wrote:

nevercat wrote:

m

I also get the impression that the A7r is aimed more towards the MF lens user - might I be right in this assmption?

I do think the A7r is there for people who are specialized in high resolution pictures, like landscape. These people will have the time to focus right, can use a tripod, are willing to do everything to get the best picture out of their gear.The A7 is more for the casual photographer and for potrait use. For the last people seldom want to see every imperfection in their skin or make-up...

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

BlueBomberTurbo
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?
In reply to nevercat, 11 months ago

Another thing that isn't immediately noticeable, even in reviews, is the huge amount of detail Sony's sensors save in RAW files. With Canon, you only get a little bit of shadow/highlight recovery till it turns to chunky noise or banding. With Sony, you get a few stops before that happens, mostly in shadows. Basically, a one image HDR, for almost every pic you take. Like with my NEX-6, at ISO 100, you can just keep pushing and pushing the shadows without banding or extreme noise.

BlueBomberTurbo's gear list:BlueBomberTurbo's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads