Apple Aperture - best X-Trans raw conversion

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
d3xmeister
Senior MemberPosts: 1,363Gear list
Like?
Apple Aperture - best X-Trans raw conversion
5 months ago

Any of you guys tried Apple Aperture for X-Trans raw conversion ?. It's mind blowing. Lightroom still have an edge in noise reduction at super high iso's, but the colors and the way Aperture renders the .raf files, it just looks incredible, better colors and tonal rendition of any camera I ever tested, including full frames.

Played with X-Trans files for quite some time, but after seeing Aperture rendering, I was left speachless, best looking images I ever saw from a digital camera.

I've became a Fuji fanatic over night :)) can't wait to get my hands on my XE-2

grumpycat
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
Re: Apple Aperture - best X-Trans raw conversion
In reply to d3xmeister, 5 months ago

Any of you guys tried Apple Aperture for X-Trans raw conversion ?. It's mind blowing. Lightroom still have an edge in noise reduction at super high iso's, but the colors and the way Aperture renders the .raf files, it just looks incredible, better colors and tonal rendition of any camera I ever tested, including full frames.

Played with X-Trans files for quite some time, but after seeing Aperture rendering, I was left speachless, best looking images I ever saw from a digital camera.

Did you try iridient developer?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
retro76
Regular MemberPosts: 143
Like?

I switched from Lightroom to Aperture. Color and detail is so much better. I find Lightroom a bit 'digital' looking in its rendering and have a hard time getting attractive skin tones. I can cook a raw file in seconds in Aperture whereas it takes quite a bit of time to get attractive results in Lightroom IMHO.

MostlyUnoriginal
Regular MemberPosts: 204Gear list
Like?

interesting...

i got my x-e2 yesterday (lovin me some amazon prime next day shipping!), and i'm using the latest ACR beta release to process raws.  it seems to do pretty well for the most part, except that it sometimes leaves the most garish magenta tone in shadow areas. i'm curious to see how aperture does with your x-e2 files.

if anyone else is using ACR with the x-e2 - have you noticed this phenomenon? it's easy enough to work around, but it's a little shocking, especially with skin tones (my 'new camera mirror selfie' looked like i'd reanimated a diseased corpse!).

MostlyUnoriginal's gear list:MostlyUnoriginal's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
d3xmeister
Senior MemberPosts: 1,363Gear list
Like?
In reply to MostlyUnoriginal, 5 months ago

ACR is still in beta support for XE-2 and Aperture won't open them at all. A little patience, I'm sure they'll be fine.

For those of you who don't have Aperture, should try iPhoto,  I think they have the same engine.

I want every manufacturer to use Fuji sensors :))

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,078Gear list
Like?

Aperture and Capture One seem to get the highest praise. Adobe seems to get the lowest for RAW. I went from ACR in CS6 to C1 7 Express for my RAWs (there was a sale for only $50)

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
threeOh
Regular MemberPosts: 325
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, 5 months ago

Funny you should ask today. I just walked away from about 100 images I imported the into Aperture. I was shooting r+j and I was once again reminded how the initial renders, with no presets, blow away the Provia jpeg's. More accurate color, more life like and additional detail you can easily see at perhaps 25% zoom with each image next to each other.

I was a long time Aperture who went to Lightroom before Apple supported XTrans. Have trialled most of the other apps. Combined with its excellent DAM and ease of use, I don't care if its renders are only very close to the best, its a very good post processing app. The editing module leaves a bit to be desired.

My jpeg useage has dropped from about 50% with Lightroom to practically nothing anymore and its unusual for the camera to be set for r+j.

Beat Traveller
Regular MemberPosts: 306Gear list
Like?

d3xmeister wrote:

It does look better at default in terms of colour and contrast, as does Capture One. It's worth mentioning though that this is less of an issue with Lightroom's ability to handle RAF files, and more due to the fact that Lightroom just renders everything very conservatively at default, as DPR notes:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8219582047/raw-converter-showdown-capture-one-pro-7-dxo-optics-pro-8-and-lightroom-4/2

I use Lightroom for quickly processing most shots because I prefer its results at higher ISOs, because it runs faster than any other converter on my laptop, and because it has a very intuitive workflow. For low ISO shots I really want the best detail from, I run it through Photo Ninja.

Beat Traveller's gear list:Beat Traveller's gear list
Nikon D60 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
barba
Regular MemberPosts: 108Gear list
Like?

MostlyUnoriginal wrote:

interesting...

i got my x-e2 yesterday (lovin me some amazon prime next day shipping!), and i'm using the latest ACR beta release to process raws. it seems to do pretty well for the most part, except that it sometimes leaves the most garish magenta tone in shadow areas. i'm curious to see how aperture does with your x-e2 files.

if anyone else is using ACR with the x-e2 - have you noticed this phenomenon? it's easy enough to work around, but it's a little shocking, especially with skin tones (my 'new camera mirror selfie' looked like i'd reanimated a diseased corpse!).

Yes, it's discussed in this thread, "Fuji X-E2 image problems":

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3573583

Pär

barba's gear list:barba's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
No Regrets
Regular MemberPosts: 468
Like?

d3xmeister wrote:

ACR is still in beta support for XE-2 and Aperture won't open them at all. A little patience, I'm sure they'll be fine.

For those of you who don't have Aperture, should try iPhoto, I think they have the same engine.

So when you say,…. "For those of you who don't have Aperture, should try iPhoto, I think they have the same engine."….are you saying that I wouldn't need to pay for Aperture, that as long as my MacBook Pro has the iPhoto that that will work well enough or even the same as Aperture?

Brond1
Regular MemberPosts: 324Gear list
Like?
In reply to No Regrets, 5 months ago

I think iPhoto and Aperture use the same raw developer. But iphoto is pretty basic in terms of other photo editing tools.. I use in emergency on my Air when I dont have my MacBook about.

Having tried CaptureOne .. if I didn't have Aperture already I would go for that. Aperture does nice job but there was something better, richer deeper colour in the C1. Also I get feeling C1 will update its software plus its raw capability re  Fuji new models faster than Aperture. I am not against Aperture but it was a bloody long wait before it would handle RAF files.

Brond1's gear list:Brond1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
Steward Robbins
Regular MemberPosts: 205
Like?
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,348Gear list
Like?

I used Aperture, went to LR 5, then tried Aperture for X-E1 RAW conversion.  Big difference with the nod going to Aperture.  RAW camera support is added in Mac OS updates which happen continuously.  X-E2 support should come soon.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
fluxism
Regular MemberPosts: 374
Like?

I'd been using aperture and liking it, but at default settings it REALLY plugs up the shadows... something I realized even more since starting to use photo ninja, which I like a lot

Caerolle
Contributing MemberPosts: 729
Like?

"if anyone else is using ACR with the x-e2 - have you noticed this phenomenon?"

You mean other than the people who have been posting in the now 149-post thread over the last two days?  

Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?

I wish for detail and noise control of Iridient, with the default color profile of Aperture. I really like the colors Aperture spits out, but it leaves too much color noise artifacts for my tastes.

Luckily, there's choices for specific photos, so I'm not too bothered.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
uniball
Regular MemberPosts: 382
Like?
In reply to No Regrets, 5 months ago

No Regrets wrote:

d3xmeister wrote:

For those of you who don't have Aperture, should try iPhoto, I think they have the same engine.

So when you say,…. "For those of you who don't have Aperture, should try iPhoto, I think they have the same engine."….are you saying that I wouldn't need to pay for Aperture, that as long as my MacBook Pro has the iPhoto that that will work well enough or even the same as Aperture?

Yes. And iPhoto is a pretty nice app as well. Not as extensive as Aperture but simple to use. Its been improved a lot over the years.  It can deal with referenced libraries now, if thats what you want.

uniball
Regular MemberPosts: 382
Like?
In reply to fluxism, 5 months ago

fluxism wrote:

I'd been using aperture and liking it, but at default settings it REALLY plugs up the shadows... something I realized even more since starting to use photo ninja, which I like a lot

Yes, that can happen when you're using auto dr. 200% really messes with the shadows, 400% replaces them with solid black.  If I'm using auto dr I pretty much assume I'll be using the jpeg's.

Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?
In reply to Asylum Photo, 5 months ago

Asylum Photo wrote:

I wish for detail and noise control of Iridient, with the default color profile of Aperture. I really like the colors Aperture spits out, but it leaves too much color noise artifacts for my tastes.

Luckily, there's choices for specific photos, so I'm not too bothered.

-- hide signature --

Edit: Played around a bit with the Camera Advance tab, and the noise control on Iridient, and got it pretty close. Comment rescinded.

Now to figure out how to effectively reduce noise in specific channels (specifically reducing noise in blue skies... bane of my existence.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
fluxism
Regular MemberPosts: 374
Like?
In reply to uniball, 5 months ago

uniball wrote:

Yes, that can happen when you're using auto dr. 200% really messes with the shadows, 400% replaces them with solid black. If I'm using auto dr I pretty much assume I'll be using the jpeg's.

wow, that's great to know, thanks

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads