Upgrading to Mavericks.

Started Nov 12, 2013 | Discussions
ehazera
Senior MemberPosts: 2,076
Like?
Upgrading to Mavericks.
Nov 12, 2013

I'm running Mac OSX 10.6 and want to upgrade to Mavericks  by downloading the free version.

When I tried to download the free version, I followed the instructions and a panel asked for credit card information to be entered .

Is there any work around for this step? I am not buying Mavericks , it is a free upgrade, and I don't want to enter personal information to upgrade my Imac.

Colin63
Junior MemberPosts: 45Gear list
Like?
Re: Upgrading to Mavericks.
In reply to ehazera, Nov 12, 2013

Try doing all the software updates on your current setup, once all complete try the update again to see if there is anything else to update. Once complete open apps icon and see if it is there to downloaded (for free)....

Colin63's gear list:Colin63's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ehazera
Like?
In reply to Colin63, Nov 12, 2013

All my updates have been done, and the free update panel is on my screen but when I start the update, the next panel asks for the credit card information before it will continue with the free update.

It seems like the only way to get the free download is through the App store.

I have never bought anything from the App store and that is probably the reason why I get the credit card panel, however the Mavericks upgrade is free, and I should not have to enter credit card information to get a free upgrade.

Hence , the reason I am asking if there is a workaround for the credit card step.

coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,218Gear list
Like?

ehazera wrote:

All my updates have been done, and the free update panel is on my screen but when I start the update, the next panel asks for the credit card information before it will continue with the free update.

It seems like the only way to get the free download is through the App store.

I have never bought anything from the App store and that is probably the reason why I get the credit card panel, however the Mavericks upgrade is free, and I should not have to enter credit card information to get a free upgrade.

Hence , the reason I am asking if there is a workaround for the credit card step.

I suspect not.  The App Store wants the information even if you are downloading free apps.  Others may be more experienced in this issue and have a better answer, but I'm pretty sure you're stuck.

-- hide signature --

www.nightstreets.com
One day long ago, a sorcerer and a warrior did battle, as such things were commonplace in that age. Sometimes the sorcerer won, and the sum value of human abilities was improved some trifling amount. Sometimes the warrior won, and again the human race improved by some insignificant amount, for a sorcerer who can't defeat one miserable warrior is a poor sorcerer indeed.

wornish
Forum MemberPosts: 99Gear list
Like?

I am not certain but I think Mavericks is only free if you are on Mountain Lion 10.8

The earlier upgrades :-

Leopard 10.5 to Snow Leopard 10.6

Snow Leopard 10.6  to Lion 10.7

and

Lion 10.7 to Mountain Lion 10.8 were all chargeable.

If you are already on 10.8 then it is free but you do have to have an App  Store account as thats how they are doing updates now.   I think to have an account they require your credit card number.

Don't think you can get Mavericks via the older software update method.

wornish's gear list:wornish's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to wornish, Nov 12, 2013

wornish wrote:

I am not certain but I think Mavericks is only free if you are on Mountain Lion 10.8

The earlier upgrades :-

Leopard 10.5 to Snow Leopard 10.6

Snow Leopard 10.6 to Lion 10.7

and

Lion 10.7 to Mountain Lion 10.8 were all chargeable.

If you are already on 10.8 then it is free but you do have to have an App Store account as thats how they are doing updates now. I think to have an account they require your credit card number.

Don't think you can get Mavericks via the older software update method.

No, Mavericks is a free upgrade going back to Snow Leopard users. I believe the issue that the OP has is that they probably never had an Apple ID/account which of course requires credit card info for buying things from iTunes and the Mac and iOS App stores.

OP, just enter the requested information. It is free for Snow Leopard users.

gaussian blur
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,767
Like?
In reply to Basalite, Nov 12, 2013

Basalite wrote:
No, Mavericks is a free upgrade going back to Snow Leopard users. I believe the issue that the OP has is that they probably never had an Apple ID/account which of course requires credit card info for buying things from iTunes and the Mac and iOS App stores.

A credit card is not required for an AppleID. Select 'none' for payment options when setting it up.

You can use iTunes gift cards for apps that aren't free.

ehazera
Like?

Thanks everyone for your help. I spoke to Apple support, and indeed you do need to register and enter credit card information to download the free Mavericks upgrade.

I feel violated, but I'll survive.

ehazera
Like?
In reply to gaussian blur, Nov 12, 2013

gaussian blur wrote:

Basalite wrote:

A credit card is not required for an AppleID. Select 'none' for payment options when setting it up.

Thanks for the info, I'll try again.

DenWil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,545
Like?
Violated?

ehazera wrote:

Thanks everyone for your help. I spoke to Apple support, and indeed you do need to register and enter credit card information to download the free Mavericks upgrade.

I feel violated, but I'll survive.

How precious you are.

-- hide signature --

denniswilliams

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

gaussian blur wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Read more carefully what I wrote.

gaussian blur
Like?

Basalite wrote:

You said a credit card is required. That is false. There is no need to provide a credit card and there is no reason to enter it in if the user does not want to.

gaussian blur
Like?

ehazera wrote:

They're wrong.
http://km.support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECARE_ALLGEOS/HT2534/en_US/HT2534-PaymentType-en.png

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

gaussian blur wrote:

Basalite wrote:

You said a credit card is required. That is false.

Once again, read more carefully what I wrote!!

There is no need to provide a credit card and there is no reason to enter it in if the user does not want to.

noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 11,226
Like?

Basalite wrote:

gaussian blur wrote:

Basalite wrote:

You advised the OP to just enter the credit card information and don't worry about getting charged anything because Mavericks is indeed free for Snow Leopard users.

But that is not the point of the OP, the OP does (well, did, now) not want to give Apple his credit card information. Thus your advice is not solving his problem, whereas the information that one can set up an AppleID without associated credit card information is what would have solved the OP's problem.

It is well possible that when setting up an AppleID during the Mavericks installation, the option of 'no payment' doesn't show up. The solution to this is to set up the AppleID by other means first (in iTunes, on Apple's website, etc.).

gaussian blur
Like?

Basalite wrote:

gaussian blur wrote:

Basalite wrote:

There is no need to provide a credit card and there is no reason to enter it in if the user does not want to.

I'm going by what you wrote:

You said: I believe the issue that the OP has is that they probably never had an Apple ID/account which of course requires credit card info for buying things from iTunes and the Mac and iOS App stores.

That is incorrect. There is no such requirement, even for paid content.

You then said: OP, just enter the requested information. It is free for Snow Leopard users.

Although it is free (you did get that part right), there is no need to enter in credit card information since a credit card is not required and the original poster stated he didn't want to.

If you meant something else, then you need to write more clearly.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

gaussian blur wrote:

Basalite wrote:

gaussian blur wrote:

Basalite wrote:

I'm going by what you wrote:

You said: I believe the issue that the OP has is that they probably never had an Apple ID/account which of course requires credit card info for buying things from iTunes and the Mac and iOS App stores.

That is incorrect. There is no such requirement, even for paid content.

Using a gift card is not buying from iTunes. You are simply redeeming something you already paid for.

You then said: OP, just enter the requested information. It is free for Snow Leopard users.

Although it is free (you did get that part right), there is no need to enter in credit card information since a credit card is not required and the original poster stated he didn't want to.

That second part does not support your misunderstanding of what I said previous to that. That does not logically follow. I recommended he simply input the information to get what he ultimately wants.

If you meant something else, then you need to write more clearly.

My words were clear. It is you that wishes to make them appear to say things that they don't.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to noirdesir, Nov 12, 2013

noirdesir wrote:

Basalite wrote:

gaussian blur wrote:

Basalite wrote:

You advised the OP to just enter the credit card information and don't worry about getting charged anything because Mavericks is indeed free for Snow Leopard users.

But that is not the point of the OP, the OP does (well, did, now) not want to give Apple his credit card information. Thus your advice is not solving his problem, whereas the information that one can set up an AppleID without associated credit card information is what would have solved the OP's problem.

It is well possible that when setting up an AppleID during the Mavericks installation, the option of 'no payment' doesn't show up. The solution to this is to set up the AppleID by other means first (in iTunes, on Apple's website, etc.).

You didn't learn from the last time?

If the person thinks I am wrong then he or she can speak for him or herself. I told you before, I am not going to play the silly game of responding to others through you or anyone else.

Jen Yates
Senior MemberPosts: 1,328
Like?

Basalite wrote:
My words were clear. It is you that wishes to make them appear to say things that they don't.

No they were not.

You said credit cards were required to 'buy' from the app store, but it is possible to 'buy' without a credit / bank card. Using Apple's terminology (from within the app store). It is possible to 'buy' apps with a pre-paid iTunes card, with a redeemable code or it is even possible to 'buy' a free app without any of the above.

You are being childish, petty and a little rude. Please refrain from this behaviour when using these forums...

Or I'm going to get my Dad...

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,385Gear list
Like?

Let us know now the actually upgrade went. I am also still using snow leopard and i guess it will be a OS upgrade and a SSD for my 2010 MBP instead of a expensive retina, at least this year.

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads