EM1 better than Sony A7(as a System)?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,093Gear list
Like?
Did you like the E-M1
In reply to ianbrown, 11 months ago

while you had it?  Did you get to use it at all?

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
toxinoz
Regular MemberPosts: 295Gear list
Like?
Re: EM1 better than Sony A7(as a System)?

Model trains perhaps?

-- hide signature --

J White
Olympus user since OM1

toxinoz's gear list:toxinoz's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
toxinoz
Regular MemberPosts: 295Gear list
Like?

Before deciding to spend serious money on cameras/lenses I think carefully about what I need and what the possible purchase might add to what I can achieve.

My reason for purchasing the EM1 (which I have not yet had time to properly play with) was to utilise existing 4/3 lenses available to me. My EM5 remains a highly usable (and enjoyable) camera and I am uncertain how far the EM1 will replace it.

So, personally, I think your decision to buy the EM1, then almost immediately sell it and move to the Sony A7 is foolish, ill-considered, and has not actually left you satisfied. You should have, in my opinion, stuck with the E1 for a reasonable period and see how it met your real needs. If, after such a trial period, and following favourable reviews of the A7, you considered the A7 might suit you better, then why not rent one to try it out. If that worked out well, then consider making the switch.

Of course, from a different perspective, we should thank you for helping to keep the high end camera industry going, by such profligate purchasing. The rest of us will benefit from this, especially if there are many others like you (not meant as a sarcastic comment).

-- hide signature --

J White
Olympus user since OM1

toxinoz's gear list:toxinoz's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Grobb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229Gear list
Like?

ianbrown wrote:

Butoa wrote:

ianbrown wrote:

I found out the A7 was about to be launched I sold the EM1

How many cameras did you buy and sell in the past 3 years. From posting history it appears to be between 20 to 30? Or is it more?

I suggest just stop wasting money on buying and selling cameras every time a new one is announced, and find some other hobby that doesn't entice you to switch that much gear. Fishing? Running? You will be happier.

Thanks but I already do running and fishing, can you think of anything else?

How about hang gliding, mountain climbing, sky diving, bungee jumping, cliff diving, glacier Surfing, Wingsuit Flying, and deep water cave diving.

-- hide signature --

Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional!

Ron Outdoors
Contributing MemberPosts: 575
Like?
In reply to Butoa, 11 months ago

It does keep the economy going. Plus supplies the used camera market.

-- hide signature --

www.ronhartman.net

Harold66
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,414Gear list
Like?
Re:does it even matter ?

ianbrown wrote:

Like many I have a real dilemma about which one to buy?

I had an EM1 for a week and when I found out the A7 was about to be launched I sold the EM1, however after thinking long and hard about the two cameras I am starting to think that the lens options on the EM1 are swaying my decision, but can I resist the FF.

does it matter. whichever you decide between the two , it looks like than in 6months from now ( or less) you would have something less

I mainly do Landscape and travel and I have been used to FF cameras in the past but really want to reduce the size where I can but without reducing IQ too much?

Anyone else have this dilemma ?

I do not think it is a dilemma , more a never ending need to get the latest stuff. changing gear every month is one of the best WAYS to make sure one's photographic skills do not improve

some of us here , even it is a minority it seems actually care less about the cameras and lenses than the images it produces

-- hide signature --

www.harold-glit.com
www.modelmayhem.com/haroldglit

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro +14 more
Rocky ID Olympian
Contributing MemberPosts: 596Gear list
Like?

the Image stabilization will give you at least a 3 stop advantage, the DOF will give you 2 stops advantage, and those will negate the high iso advantage of A7.  That is for you who likes capturing landscapes.

Rocky ID Olympian's gear list:Rocky ID Olympian's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +13 more
rpm40
Senior MemberPosts: 1,923Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rocky ID Olympian, 11 months ago

Between the two, I'd take the Oly hands down. The m4/3 system is well underway with many nice lenses to choose from. That said, I'd assume you at least USED the camera before you sold it- if you didn't like it enough to want to keep it, why try again?

If you really want a bigger sensor, check out Fuji. They're quickly building quite a nice system with great IQ.

rpm40's gear list:rpm40's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
sbszine
Regular MemberPosts: 451Gear list
Like?
ISO advantage

Regarding the ISO advantage of full frame, I think it is most important when you are after shallow DoF (e.g. for an available light portrait). If you're mostly shooting landscapes or other subjects where a greater DoF is useful, then you can lose the ISO advantage when you stop down. So it depends what you shoot and which lenses you are looking at.

sbszine's gear list:sbszine's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
Neurad1
Contributing MemberPosts: 993Gear list
Like?
In reply to Moti, 11 months ago

Moti wrote:

Neurad1 wrote:

ianbrown wrote:

I had an EM1 for a week and when I found out the A7 was about to be launched I sold the EM1, however after thinking long and hard about the two cameras I am starting to think that the lens options on the EM1 are swaying my decision, but can I resist the FF.

I mainly do Landscape and travel and I have been used to FF cameras in the past but really want to reduce the size where I can but without reducing IQ too much?

The upside of the A7 is purely IQ because DOF is not a priority for me but ISO does also give me about 2 stops advantage?

The lens options (for me) are limited, as I would only have the 28-70 which is not really wide enough and 3.5 - 5.6 is pretty slow. I know there is a 24-70 f4 available in about 3 months but even so it's not that fast and starting to get heavier! The Telephoto is also another issue, only a 70-200 which will be quit heavy and not available until May 2014.

I know you can use other lenses but that involves adaptor sand loss of AF etc

The EM1 does have some advantages, mainly lens selection. But just how much IQ does it sacrifice?

I already have a Panasonic 35-100 f 2.8 which is a pretty good lens

Ian

I understand your pain. This whole GAS thing is a product of the "interwebs" and our desk jobs that allow surfing while at work. We spend more time reading and thinking about gear (and to a lesser degree about actual photography) than doing photography. It's just the way it is for most of us.

Speak for yourself...

Moti

-- hide signature --

Touche'

Neurad1's gear list:Neurad1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +29 more
Chez Wimpy
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,789Gear list
Like?
Sony is not known for their glass

ianbrown wrote:

If you can limit yourself to 35mm or 50mm for landscapes, at least the new Zeiss primes look quite good.

The lens options (for me) are limited, as I would only have the 28-70 which is not really wide enough and 3.5 - 5.6 is pretty slow. I know there is a 24-70 f4 available in about 3 months but even so it's not that fast and starting to get heavier!

And to put it kindly, both MTF and the samples from the kit 28-70 open/stopped down have been crap.  The 12-40 is in a different universe (heck, so is the 14-45!) and we don't even have a MTF for the 24-70 Zeiss to begin to compare.

Without lenses, there is no IQ advantage for a XXX MP body regardless of maker.

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D +23 more
MatsP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,043Gear list
Like?

Yes, as a system I'm sure the EM-1 is better. But for certain purposes the A7 could be better. Now I use an E-M5 and a 9-18 for architecture and street views. An A7r with an adapter and a T/S lens would be a dream and probably give possibilities for an IQ similar to or better than what you could achieve with a Hasselblad with a T/S lens (extremely expensive) and fine-grain film. I know some really stunning photos from my home town with that equipment. Manual of course in both cases.

If you don't do specialized things like that I'm convinced an E-M1 is much better for almost everything.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
ianbrown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,916
Like?
Re:does it even matter ?
In reply to Harold66, 11 months ago

Harold66 wrote:

ianbrown wrote:

does it matter. whichever you decide between the two , it looks like than in 6months from now ( or less) you would have something less

I do not think it is a dilemma , more a never ending need to get the latest stuff. changing gear every month is one of the best WAYS to make sure one's photographic skills do not improve

some of us here , even it is a minority it seems actually care less about the cameras and lenses than the images it produces

-- hide signature --

www.harold-glit.com
www.modelmayhem.com/haroldglit

I take your point and yes I do like the latest cameras but I do use them as you will see below

duartix
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,514Gear list
Like?

ianbrown wrote:

If your main subject is landscape and you can afford to setup your shots, I'd advise you to get into stacking. 5-6 stacked 16MP photos will give you around 30MP with roughly the same per pixel sharpness and should cover all your printing needs. If you're careful enough and your subject is stationary, it will even work handheld. I strongly suggest PhotoAcute for that.

Of course the same workflow could apply to FF, but are you printing window size?

You'll be happier, healthier, and busier.

-- hide signature --

Duarte Bruno

duartix's gear list:duartix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
Domagoj Batinic
Contributing MemberPosts: 513Gear list
Like?
In reply to Butoa, 11 months ago

Butoa wrote:

find some other hobby that doesn't entice you to switch that much gear. Fishing? Running? You will be happier.

then he will have to have every new fishing pole and fishing reel that comes out (but no fish caught), or that new running shoe that will make him run 0,000000001 seconds faster

-- hide signature --

my gear:
E-M5+45mm/1.8
E-520+12-60+14-42+70-300+Sigma 105 + FL-50R+EC20 + SRF-11
and good number of legacy lenses (list in profile)

Domagoj Batinic's gear list:Domagoj Batinic's gear list
Olympus D-620L Olympus C-2000 Zoom Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-550 UZ Olympus SP-560 UZ +11 more
Toccata47
Senior MemberPosts: 2,193
Like?

ianbrown wrote:.

I mainly do Landscape and travel

The upside of the A7 is purely IQ 

The EM1.....But just how much IQ does it sacrifice?

It seems like you have a lens issue. If you want to loose some weight drop the zooms for primes. As far as which camera is more appropriate for landscapes, that's up to you but their performance is not equal.

Marcos Villaroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,247Gear list
Like?
Thom Hogan Thinks So

Why the Sony A7 Doesn't Crush the Olympus E-M1

M43 has the lens now with the 12-40/2.8 coming out next month.  Sony will be a while for small lens.

OTOH, if you got a bunch of Leica or other 3rd party glass you want to bolt onto the A7, you might go that way.

As a camera body, the E-M1 really looks like the best all around mirrorless.  I don't like what I'm hearing about the shutter noise of the A7/A7R.

You have to take the system view with these cameras.  The bodies are up for replacement every two years.  The glass better last longer than that.  I also wouldn't want to wait for a couple years for the glass I want today to come out.

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +39 more
Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,555
Like?

ianbrown wrote:

Since you seem to end up buying and selling nearly every camera out there in a serial fashion, may I suggest you change your purchasing methodology to a parallel model.

All you need to do is take out a modest mortgage, or use a suitably well endowed credit card, purchase EVERY SINGLE CAMERA SYSTEM OUT THERE (which is what you seem to be doing anyway, just one at a time), then do a whole set of comparisons, and YOU then decide which system(s) is/are best for YOUR needs. Keep these, sell the rest. Total depreciation shouldn't be much different to what you're already doing now, and you'll save yourself and all of us the continual anguish of all your posts.

Simples.

Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,093Gear list
Like?
Ah, but...
In reply to Big Ga, 11 months ago

as soon as he's done w that, there will be a whole new crop of cameras and he'll have to start over.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
ianbrown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,916
Like?
In reply to Big Ga, 11 months ago

Big Ga wrote:

ianbrown wrote:

Since you seem to end up buying and selling nearly every camera out there in a serial fashion, may I suggest you change your purchasing methodology to a parallel model.

All you need to do is take out a modest mortgage, or use a suitably well endowed credit card, purchase EVERY SINGLE CAMERA SYSTEM OUT THERE (which is what you seem to be doing anyway, just one at a time), then do a whole set of comparisons, and YOU then decide which system(s) is/are best for YOUR needs. Keep these, sell the rest. Total depreciation shouldn't be much different to what you're already doing now, and you'll save yourself and all of us the continual anguish of all your posts.

Simples.

Thanks but I don't need financial advise, whats wrong with you people? Is there a law against buying lots of cameras, if so I didn't realise that.

for those who are giving their opinion on these two cameras and lens options, thanks

Ian

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads