Nikon Canada forcing Df purchase with kit lens?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
digitalphotographer
Contributing MemberPosts: 502Gear list
Like?
Nikon Canada forcing Df purchase with kit lens?
10 months ago

Does anyone know why in Canada one has to buy the 50mm "special edition" lens with the Df? There are no body-only options. Does this happen in any other markets other than Canada?

According to many, the Df is already overpriced as it is, but now Nikon Canada wants to squeeze owners of existing 50mm f/1.8 lens one more time by forcing us to pay more for a lens that we already have? What's going on at Nikon Canada these days?

By the way, I really don't like the silver ring on the new special edition lens, totally destroying the new design, but that's just me. In the end, design or not, Canadians shouldn't be forced to pay for the kit if one only wants the body?

digitalphotographer's gear list:digitalphotographer's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony RX1R Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df
Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,712Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon Canada forcing Df purchase with kit lens?
In reply to digitalphotographer, 10 months ago

digitalphotographer wrote:

Does anyone know why in Canada one has to buy the 50mm "special edition" lens with the Df? There are no body-only options. Does this happen in any other markets other than Canada?

According to many, the Df is already overpriced as it is, but now Nikon Canada wants to squeeze owners of existing 50mm f/1.8 lens one more time by forcing us to pay more for a lens that we already have? What's going on at Nikon Canada these days?

By the way, I really don't like the silver ring on the new special edition lens, totally destroying the new design, but that's just me. In the end, design or not, Canadians shouldn't be forced to pay for the kit if one only wants the body?

Can't answer the kit Qs.. but the silver ring is all part of the retro look. I agree though; you shouldn't be forced to buy any extras you don't want/need.

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D600 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

It's the same in the UK, maybe its a way for them to justify the price

digitalphotographer
Like?
UK same as Canada, where else?
In reply to LWS2013, 10 months ago

LWS2013 wrote:

Sorry to hear that, it's really quite unacceptable.

CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,223Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alan Brown, 10 months ago

Alan Brown wrote:

Can't answer the kit Qs.. but the silver ring is all part of the retro look. I agree though; you shouldn't be forced to buy any extras you don't want/need.

On other Nikon DSLRs we are forced to buy video - an extra many of us don't want or need.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
Anderton
Contributing MemberPosts: 663
Like?
Nice one
In reply to CFynn, 10 months ago

CFynn wrote:

Alan Brown wrote:

On other Nikon DSLRs we are forced to buy video - an extra many of us don't want or need.

Oh noes, they made me open my wallet, take out my money and buy this! 

If you cannot afford it don't buy it.

anirbana
Regular MemberPosts: 213Gear list
Like?
In reply to LWS2013, 10 months ago

LWS2013 wrote:

The UK price strategy is not at all consumer friendly for any new product launch.

Look at the D610 - Most high street retailers are selling it at £1799 and guess what - they are bundling freebies like Grip, 50mm Lens, Tripod/Battaery/bag etc. And they are showing it as free - LOL.

Such free items are mostly stuff that are either not moving and/or have high margins. Bundling with a new product helps them to make the margin even higher. Only a few retailers and Amazon are selling it at £1500 price point.

Having said that, prices in UK comes down sharply after a month or two. Most early adopters are ripped, but some people can't wait.

I am certain DF price will come down by Christmas and New Year.

anirbana's gear list:anirbana's gear list
Nikon D600 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +1 more
Kentish Man
Forum MemberPosts: 52Gear list
Like?

There is a retailer in the UK who is offering a buy back on this 'unwanted lens'

John.

Kentish Man's gear list:Kentish Man's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +5 more
InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,530Gear list
Like?

A lot of countries are, including mine (Switzerland).

Wish it weren't so.

-- hide signature --

Ridicule is not C&C nor is it being helpful nor "stating your opinion"
www.flickr.com/InTheMist

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
reginalddwight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003Gear list
Like?
Wait to purchase?

Yes, it appears other countries besides Canada are selling Df bodies with kit lens only during the initial roll out. Nikon's decision to sell the body bundled with the lens is purely for profit undoubtedly.

You could always wait before buying? By mid-2014, I imagine you will have the option to purchase the Df body only...and likely at a lower price point.

paulski66
Senior MemberPosts: 1,785Gear list
Like?
In America, we're not forced to purchase the Df at all...

Ah, the glories of living in a free country!

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
Nikonparrothead
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,067Gear list
Like?
Re: Wait to purchase?
In reply to reginalddwight, 10 months ago

It's not uncommon for all manufacturers to debut products tied in kits (I believe the original 18-70 kit lens was at first only available as part of the D70 kit), or restrict colors (for example the Panasonic GX7 isn't available in black in the U.S.) It is unfortunate that it's only available bundled. But if you truly don't want the lens, then wait it out.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D3S +11 more
falconeyes
Contributing MemberPosts: 864
Like?
Re: In America, we're not forced to purchase the Df at all...
In reply to paulski66, 10 months ago

paulski66 wrote:

Ah, the glories of living in a free country!

Yeah, you're right. It could be worse, like being forced to rent

-- hide signature --

Falk Lumo

fotolopithecus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,699Gear list
Like?

I think I read some guy in England was complaining about the same thing, if memory serves.

fotolopithecus's gear list:fotolopithecus's gear list
Nikon D610 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
mais51
Contributing MemberPosts: 871Gear list
Like?
Re: Wait to purchase?

reginalddwight wrote:

Yes, it appears other countries besides Canada are selling Df bodies with kit lens only during the initial roll out. Nikon's decision to sell the body bundled with the lens is purely for profit undoubtedly.

You could always wait before buying? By mid-2014, I imagine you will have the option to purchase the Df body only...and likely at a lower price point.

By mid 2014 no one remembers Nikon Df !

mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +5 more
khaledgawdat
Regular MemberPosts: 155Gear list
Like?

I think they will do that initially to squeeze more dollars and later when all in stock  you will get the body only, then the price of the body only will drop 2-3 hundred dollars. Classic business model.

-- hide signature --

K.Gawdat

khaledgawdat's gear list:khaledgawdat's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX1 Sigma SD1 Pentax 645D +52 more
Red G8R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,637Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alan Brown, 10 months ago

Alan Brown wrote:

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Look on the bright side. It's priced Cd$2,999 for the kit and that is less than the US price (kit) since our dollar is worth 5% less at the moment.

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,405Gear list
Like?
prob frustrating for retailers too

Yea, that seems to be the case. I imagine that the retailers are just as frustrated. I called my local "Henrys" and told them that I wasnt interested in the kit lens at all, but, there was nothing they could do about it. By the time that the body-only options are available, i suspect interest in the Df will have significantly waned.

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
resident
Senior MemberPosts: 1,368Gear list
Like?

That's a shame, especially if you have the lens already.

In Australia we have the option of both #3148 without the lens and $3448 with.

-- hide signature --

badui bourizk
www.studio102.net
www.studio102.net/gallery

resident's gear list:resident's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
digitalphotographer
Like?
I am going to wait...

reginalddwight wrote:

Thanks all for the feedback, it seems it's more advantageous to wait because there will be a price drop coming plus I won't have to get the kit lens if I don't want to then.

but the D4 sensor would be perfect for these dark winter months when I do lots low light shooting

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads