GH3 and GX-7 owners

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Owen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,174
Like?
GH3 and GX-7 owners
11 months ago

I assume the GX-7 focuses faster? I have a GX-7 and a G2 and the 7 seems to completely outdo it focusing wise.

Is the GH3 focusing more like the G2 or did they improve it. I was thinking of one as a second camera to replace the G2.

Owen

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,888Gear list
Like?
Re: GH3 and GX-7 owners
In reply to Owen, 11 months ago

My GH3 focuses very fast,  faster than my earlier GH models; can't say about the GX7 since I've very happy with the GH3 and the GX7 seems a tad small (I have some heavy lenses).

Perhaps the reviews here at DPR provide some insights -- under performance?

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
yslee1
Regular MemberPosts: 375
Like?

The GH3 and GX7 use the same focusing system, so yes, they're equally fast.

Owen
Like?
In reply to PC Wheeler, 11 months ago

PC Wheeler wrote:

My GH3 focuses very fast, faster than my earlier GH models; can't say about the GX7 since I've very happy with the GH3 and the GX7 seems a tad small (I have some heavy lenses).

Perhaps the reviews here at DPR provide some insights -- under performance?

-- hide signature --

Phil

I have some heavy lenses, I've even used the GX-7 with a Sony 70-400 zoom. As with other cameras you hold most of the weight(the lens) with your left hand. It really doesn't matter how big the camera is.

Owen

PC Wheeler
Like?

Owen wrote:

I have some heavy lenses, I've even used the GX-7 with a Sony 70-400 zoom. As with other cameras you hold most of the weight(the lens) with your left hand.

Sony 70-400G is a fine lens. Too big for me even when I was shooting with a Sony body so I sold the lens first and the body a bit later.

Using left hand for lens is not practical in all situations.  Anyway, GX7 is too small for my hands. GH3 is just fine, and I like the spaciousness of its body. EM-1 I've not yet seen but does have a bigger grip than the EM-5.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
robonrome
Senior MemberPosts: 1,272Gear list
Like?

Owen wrote:

I assume the GX-7 focuses faster? I have a GX-7 and a G2 and the 7 seems to completely outdo it focusing wise.

Is the GH3 focusing more like the G2 or did they improve it. I was thinking of one as a second camera to replace the G2.

Owen

You assume incorrectly. GH3 is as fast as GX7.

robonrome's gear list:robonrome's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
SDPharm
Regular MemberPosts: 186Gear list
Like?

My GH3 focuses instantaneously with these lenses: 14-42 Mk II, 45 mm Macro, 75-200 mm.

Richard

Owen wrote:

Owen

SDPharm's gear list:SDPharm's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +2 more
Owen
Like?
In reply to SDPharm, 11 months ago

Thanks guys

Owen

Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 13,059Gear list
Like?
You might want to read some of the umpteen reviews of the GH3.

Its focusing system has nothing to do with that of the much-earlier G2. Light-years difference.

The GH3 is great, and if you can get one for what they recently went for at one shop ($799), it would be a great deal. Weathersealed, incredible battery life, best video available in this market, etc. - it's certainly more than a backup or second body.

My "second body" is a GH2, but I am watching for a good deal on another GH3.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
jennajenna
Senior MemberPosts: 1,178
Like?

Owen wrote:

Owen

I got the impression from the DPR review of the gx7 that GH3 performance was faster overall. Not big diff likely; iike between A and B.

Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,352Gear list
Like?
AFAIk GX7 focusses to -4 eV
In reply to yslee1, 11 months ago

GH3 does not i think, so it is not identical, at least not from that aspect and in the dark theoretically the GX7 could find focus where GH3 does not.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Dr_Jon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,496Gear list
Like?
In reply to jennajenna, 11 months ago

The GH3 focuses quickly, but part of it is the lens. It's best with lenses that support 240fps focusing (e.g. 12-35 and 35-100) but it's pretty good generally. Speed really won't be an issue.

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +24 more
PC Wheeler
Like?
Re: You might want to read some of the umpteen reviews of the GH3.
In reply to Corkcampbell, 11 months ago

Corkcampbell wrote:

The GH3 is great, and if you can get one for what they recently went for at one shop ($799), it would be a great deal. Weathersealed, incredible battery life, best video available in this market, etc. - it's certainly more than a backup or second body.

I went from an GH2 to GH3 earlier this year and it is a very worthwhile upgrade even for a still-only shooter. And the price has come down: Appears to be just around $1000 vs. the $1300 I paid in March or so. Interestingly, the prices of the two f/2.8 zoom lenses seem to have increased since last Spring -- so I'm just as happy I already own them.

I had a GX7 on pre-order but canceled. My thinking was that the GH3 felt just right in my hands and that I really would use only one body (had a GX1 and never used it) and don't need IBIS since all my longer than 18mm lenses have OIS. At high ISOs the GX7 does better, but at 1600 my GH3 is fine -- and I very seldom shoot at ISOs even that high. I'm more likely to go for the EM-1 one of these days, since it has a usable grip and has received excellent reviews. But my earlier forays into Oly land have been painful, partly due to their menu system approach. So ... . Plus I've found no downsides in any of my uses to my GH3

-- hide signature --

Phil

Fredrik Glckner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,706
Like?

I haven't compared them head to head, but I would guess that the GH3 has somewhat more processing power, and hence, may be able to focus a bit faster. But the difference is probably minor.

The GH3 significantly improves upon the GH2 in this respect. I would say that the GH3 was the first M4/3 camera to focus sufficiently well during video recording. Here is a head to head comparison between them which illustrates that:

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2013/04/autofocus-during-video-comparison-gh2.html

Advent1sam
Senior MemberPosts: 1,278
Like?
Re:GX7 faster than GH3 and probably overall fastest m43 yet.
In reply to Fredrik Glckner, 11 months ago

Fredrik Glckner wrote:

I haven't compared them head to head, but I would guess that the GH3 has somewhat more processing power, and hence, may be able to focus a bit faster. But the difference is probably minor.

The GH3 significantly improves upon the GH2 in this respect. I would say that the GH3 was the first M4/3 camera to focus sufficiently well during video recording. Here is a head to head comparison between them which illustrates that:

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2013/04/autofocus-during-video-comparison-gh2.html

Fredrik, checkout ephotozine results, the GX7 is faster than the GH3

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gh3-review-20489

and about the same as the em-5 and em-1, the real benefit to the GX7 though is it is faster and will be better than the Oly's in low light.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-gx7-vs-olympus-om-d-e-m5-comparison-review-22646

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-om-d-e-m1-full-review-22863

Owen
Like?
Re: You might want to read some of the umpteen reviews of the GH3.
In reply to Corkcampbell, 11 months ago

Corkcampbell wrote:

Its focusing system has nothing to do with that of the much-earlier G2. Light-years difference.

I read all the reviews I can, but it's rare if a reviewer compares a G2s focusing with the GX-7.

I see the GH3 is still pretty expensive so I will wait and see what Panasonic puts out to compete with the EM-1.

Owen

Owen
Like?
Re: AFAIk GX7 focusses to -4 eV
In reply to Jorginho, 11 months ago

Yes my GX-7 is very good focusing in low light, unless my 60mm macro is on it.

Owen

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads