New E-mount APS-C bodies will have DSLR shape, like A3000

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,729Gear list
Like?
New E-mount APS-C bodies will have DSLR shape, like A3000
11 months ago

I can't insert the link here, but if you go to SAR and look at the comments under the latest A3000 article you will see the following:

@admin “I am pretty sure more of this kind of DSLR shaped E-mount cameras will come in 2014″ form Infos from your sources or it is a “felling”?

Reply (from admin): sources 

Do you love Sony enough to suffer lugging around an A3000 type monster around as your next camera?

Sony Alpha DSLR-A300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 5,061Gear list
Like?
Re: Do we care? I mean - really?
In reply to parallaxproblem, 11 months ago

Who cares?

If its good we will buy it.

If its not we won't.

Until it actually happens I for one will not worry about it!

 Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Letsgokoulos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,439
Like?
Re: New E-mount APS-C bodies will have DSLR shape, like A3000
In reply to parallaxproblem, 11 months ago

parallaxproblem wrote:

I can't insert the link here, but if you go to SAR and look at the comments under the latest A3000 article you will see the following:

@admin “I am pretty sure more of this kind of DSLR shaped E-mount cameras will come in 2014″ form Infos from your sources or it is a “felling”?

Reply (from admin): sources

Do you love Sony enough to suffer lugging around an A3000 type monster around as your next camera?

Parallax,

Although I understand and share your concern, I think your negativity is close to paranoia. The message is that there will be other DSLR shaped E-mount cameras, not that the Rangefinder shaped E-mount cameras will disappear.

There is no indication at the present time in either direction, and writing thread over thread on the matter will not change anything. Unfortunately we have to wait until Sony tells or shows us what direction they intend to take.

I personally do not think they will cancel the rangefinder shaped line, since it works so well in Europe and in Asia. But I will wait and remain positive with my existing gear.

Marc

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hyenadog
Contributing MemberPosts: 726
Like?
Re: New E-mount APS-C bodies will have DSLR shape, like A3000
In reply to parallaxproblem, 11 months ago

why does this surprise u ?  Sony's crap product managers, silly pricing and lack of lenses at the bright tele side killed any chance the NEX had against entry level dslr particularly in the USA

If the A3000 is succesful (fingers crossed) hopefully Sony will knock out some "right price" lenses on the tele side (that are ok in low light and can give a defocused background)  and I might buy in to the e-mount lens infrastructure finally and grab a second 5R body while they are still around

I would imagine they will continue with the NEX style - prob a 5T at 3 prices as a step up for the likes of the lumia 1020 smartphone that dont want the dslr bulk

GO A3000 !

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,901
Like?
Re: New E-mount APS-C bodies will have DSLR shape, like A3000
In reply to parallaxproblem, 11 months ago

parallaxproblem wrote:

I can't insert the link here, but if you go to SAR and look at the comments under the latest A3000 article you will see the following:

@admin “I am pretty sure more of this kind of DSLR shaped E-mount cameras will come in 2014″ form Infos from your sources or it is a “felling”?

Reply (from admin): sources

Do you love Sony enough to suffer lugging around an A3000 type monster around as your next camera?

Yes, I'd be all over a new APS-C E mount camera with IBIS and an articulating screen like the A77...   and I'd probably use it alongside my new APS-C rangefinder shaped camera that Sony releases next year.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,729Gear list
Like?
Re: New E-mount APS-C bodies will have DSLR shape, like A3000
In reply to Clayton1985, 11 months ago

Clayton1985 wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

I can't insert the link here, but if you go to SAR and look at the comments under the latest A3000 article you will see the following:

@admin “I am pretty sure more of this kind of DSLR shaped E-mount cameras will come in 2014″ form Infos from your sources or it is a “felling”?

Reply (from admin): sources

Do you love Sony enough to suffer lugging around an A3000 type monster around as your next camera?

and I'd probably use it alongside my new APS-C rangefinder shaped camera that Sony releases next year.

I hope you are right, but I'm about 70% certain now that you aren't

Don't you think you are being a bit silly telling Sony how happy you are with everything currently, if you want to see rangefinder bodies released in the future? A new team has taken over the camera division, we've seen an interview recently with one of their leading stars who made a point of saying that he was 'all about change' and clearly is not somebody to continue with the last manager's ideas. This isn't paranoia, it's the real situation

The only chance you have is to kick-up some kind of stink on the user forums otherwise these guys are just going to quote 'Amazon pre-order stats' to their senior bosses, get promotions and move-on elsewhere leaving you stuck with the product strategy they have put in place

If you find yourself stuck with an E-mount product range next year which is:

- A3000

- A5000 (similar body to A3000 but improved specs)

- maybe an A7000 (high-end A3000-like body), though maybe not

- A7

- A7r

- A9 ('Pro level' FE body, bigger than A7 with extra, new technology)

- All NEX bodies discontinued

Then you will only have yourself to blame

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,901
Like?
Re: New E-mount APS-C bodies will have DSLR shape, like A3000
In reply to parallaxproblem, 11 months ago

parallaxproblem wrote:

Clayton1985 wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

I can't insert the link here, but if you go to SAR and look at the comments under the latest A3000 article you will see the following:

@admin “I am pretty sure more of this kind of DSLR shaped E-mount cameras will come in 2014″ form Infos from your sources or it is a “felling”?

Reply (from admin): sources

Do you love Sony enough to suffer lugging around an A3000 type monster around as your next camera?

and I'd probably use it alongside my new APS-C rangefinder shaped camera that Sony releases next year.

I hope you are right, but I'm about 70% certain now that you aren't

Don't you think you are being a bit silly telling Sony how happy you are with everything currently, if you want to see rangefinder bodies released in the future? A new team has taken over the camera division, we've seen an interview recently with one of their leading stars who made a point of saying that he was 'all about change' and clearly is not somebody to continue with the last manager's ideas. This isn't paranoia, it's the real situation

The only chance you have is to kick-up some kind of stink on the user forums otherwise these guys are just going to quote 'Amazon pre-order stats' to their senior bosses, get promotions and move-on elsewhere leaving you stuck with the product strategy they have put in place

If you find yourself stuck with an E-mount product range next year which is:

- A3000

- A5000 (similar body to A3000 but improved specs)

- A7

- A7r

- A9 ('Pro level' FE body, bigger than A7 with extra, new technology)

- All NEX bodies discontinued

Then you will only have yourself to blame

If they aren't smart enough to see the need to keep rangefinder style APS-C cameras without our help then Sony is really in trouble (but there is about zero chance of that happening).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
areichow
Senior MemberPosts: 1,408Gear list
Like?
Re: New E-mount APS-C bodies will have DSLR shape, like A3000
In reply to parallaxproblem, 11 months ago

"Then you will only have yourself to blame"

Melodrama 10/10, would recommend

Is this a thread about rangefinder vs DSLR styling or did I stumble into a thread on how the UN is going to be coming in on black helicopters with flouride to take away all the guns?

 areichow's gear list:areichow's gear list
Canon PowerShot S200 Canon PowerShot SD1000 Nikon Coolpix P300 Sony RX100 NEX5R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
headfirst
Contributing MemberPosts: 585Gear list
Like?
Re: New E-mount APS-C bodies will have DSLR shape, like A3000
In reply to parallaxproblem, 11 months ago

some probably will & some probably won't ...

There are more important things in the world to worry about.

 headfirst's gear list:headfirst's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony SLT-A77 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,134Gear list
Like?
Re: New E-mount APS-C bodies will have DSLR shape, like A3000
In reply to Clayton1985, 11 months ago

Clayton1985 wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

Clayton1985 wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

I can't insert the link here, but if you go to SAR and look at the comments under the latest A3000 article you will see the following:

@admin “I am pretty sure more of this kind of DSLR shaped E-mount cameras will come in 2014″ form Infos from your sources or it is a “felling”?

Reply (from admin): sources

Do you love Sony enough to suffer lugging around an A3000 type monster around as your next camera?

and I'd probably use it alongside my new APS-C rangefinder shaped camera that Sony releases next year.

I hope you are right, but I'm about 70% certain now that you aren't

It seems to me that there are people who would want an SLR-styled Nex. But, because you are worried that Sony will never, ever make a smaller style, you're going to continually campaign against the new cameras. Why don't you want people to have these new styles?

Don't you think you are being a bit silly telling Sony how happy you are with everything currently, if you want to see rangefinder bodies released in the future?

They just released the 5T. Maybe he's happy with the 5 series as a rangefinder style.

A new team has taken over the camera division, we've seen an interview recently with one of their leading stars who made a point of saying that he was 'all about change' and clearly is not somebody to continue with the last manager's ideas. This isn't paranoia, it's the real situation

The interview seemed to be a lot of hot air.

Sony has constantly changed. The Nex itself was a daring departure from the status quo.

The only chance you have is to kick-up some kind of stink on the user forums otherwise these guys are just going to quote 'Amazon pre-order stats' to their senior bosses, get promotions and move-on elsewhere leaving you stuck with the product strategy they have put in place

If you find yourself stuck with an E-mount product range next year which is:

- A3000

- A5000 (similar body to A3000 but improved specs)

- A7

- A7r

- A9 ('Pro level' FE body, bigger than A7 with extra, new technology)

- All NEX bodies discontinued

Then you will only have yourself to blame

Then we don't have to buy these cameras. We'll only have Sony to blame.

If they aren't smart enough to see the need to keep rangefinder style APS-C cameras without our help then Sony is really in trouble (but there is about zero chance of that happening).

It seems unrealistic to me for them to abandon a segment completely.  Hopefully my Nex cameras will do for a while and I won't have to worry about it.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

 GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
FuzzyQball
Senior MemberPosts: 1,328Gear list
Like?
Re: New E-mount APS-C bodies will have DSLR shape, like A3000
In reply to headfirst, 11 months ago

You said it!  Do I like my 5n?  Yes!  Could it be better?  You bet.  I am not stuck on form factor, but more on functionality.   I look forward to the future models.

-- hide signature --

Glenn

 FuzzyQball's gear list:FuzzyQball's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
thebustos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,976Gear list
Like?
Re: Why isn't this in the NEX forum yet?
In reply to parallaxproblem, 11 months ago

This doesn't have much to do with DSLRs or SLTs. A number of Sony people have already started that E-mount and A-mount are going to be used to provide different products. I don't really care what they do with the E-mount line right now or in the near future...
--
Good luck and happy shooting!

 thebustos's gear list:thebustos's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?
Re: New E-mount APS-C bodies will have DSLR shape, like A3000
In reply to parallaxproblem, 11 months ago

my NEX-7 will last me for many years. I will worry about my next camera when the 7 stops working

-- hide signature --

NEX-7 & Sigma 30mm f/2.8
HVL-F20AM Flash

 edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
captura
Forum ProPosts: 14,599Gear list
Like?
Re: New E-mount APS-C bodies will have DSLR shape, like A3000
In reply to parallaxproblem, 11 months ago

I could only find this,

"I am pretty sure more of this kind of DSLR shaped E-mount cameras will come in 2014. But buyers may get confused because of the new “everything is Alpha” marketing strategy. I bet it will be hard for non expert buyers to understand the difference between A and E-mount cameras."

That's just the SAR wonk speaking his opinion with no supporting evidence. Although he may be right, who knows. Your guess is as good as mine, (or his.)

Then I found this, "The A7 effect: Plenty of refurbished or open box RX1 for sale"

Originally $2799, they have dropped to as low as $2199, refurbished, at Dealsboom.

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
captura
Forum ProPosts: 14,599Gear list
Like?
Re: New E-mount APS-C bodies will have DSLR shape, like A3000
In reply to captura, 11 months ago

I still give the odds at 60/40 that Sony will pull an APS-C rangefinder out of their hat next year. I sure hope so but even the SAR guy isn't so optimistic, anymore.

Enough hate on this forum over this issue; maybe time to let it go.

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,780Gear list
Like?
Re: New E-mount APS-C bodies will have DSLR shape, like A3000
In reply to hyenadog, 11 months ago

hyenadog wrote:

why does this surprise u ? Sony's crap product managers, silly pricing and lack of lenses at the bright tele side killed any chance the NEX had against entry level dslr particularly in the USA

If the A3000 is succesful (fingers crossed) hopefully Sony will knock out some "right price" lenses on the tele side (that are ok in low light and can give a defocused background) and I might buy in to the e-mount lens infrastructure finally and grab a second 5R body while they are still around

I would imagine they will continue with the NEX style - prob a 5T at 3 prices as a step up for the likes of the lumia 1020 smartphone that dont want the dslr bulk

GO A3000 !

If the A3000 is successful, I think we will see more primes that depend on OSS, not wide apertures. The rock-bottom price of the A3000 - plus the really mediocre EVF - suggest it isn't targeting a discriminating prime-lens shooter.

Our very best hope is that the A7 becomes a model for subsequent higher-end APS-C cameras.  Look at the highest price for the NEX-7 body, and it's very close to that of an A7 body, minus, say $500 to establish a difference between APS-C and FF. A $1200 "A5" with an upgraded NEX-7 sensor would be one mean camera, And I'd buy at least one body in a heartbeat.

By putting that sensor in an A7 body, Sony would be amortizing the cost of developing the A7/r across a much wider range of cameras. Think the BMW 328 with the 128 engine; a 4-cylinder Honda Accord in a V6 body. It sells to the ego of the guy who would love to tote a FF but can't get the last $500 past his wife - and he can use all his NEX lenses.

I love my NEX-6 rangefinder configuration, and have no intentions of selling it no matter what Sony decides. But if Sony kills the rangefinder and brings out an A5 with the NEX-6 sensor, and an A6 with the NEX-7 sensor, I'd be thrilled.

I can't exclude the possibility that the A3000 might be the configuration for future NEX-replacement cameras. That would be a disappointment, unless they carried the A7 features to the new body. If they didn't, even though I don't need better than APS-C for professional web medical videos, I'd go A7. I would rather not start down a new FF lens path, but since I have a limited investment in strictly hobby-quality E mounts now, and would shoot medical videos with my 3 M lenses and my 17mm Tokina FF, I wouldn't likely have to buy more than the kit lens with the A7.

I just know I am not going backwards to an OVF again. The NEX-6 set me free. I'm hooked on EVF.

 Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,780Gear list
Like?
Re: New E-mount APS-C bodies will have DSLR shape, like A3000
In reply to captura, 11 months ago

captura wrote:

I still give the odds at 60/40 that Sony will pull an APS-C rangefinder out of their hat next year. I sure hope so but even the SAR guy isn't so optimistic, anymore.

Enough hate on this forum over this issue; maybe time to let it go.

You're right, friend. Let it go. Our rangefinder-shaped cameras will work for at least a decade. If Sony keeps the NEX line going in any configuration, we will see new APS-C lenses for decades - and if we get lucky, in 3 years, we'll see used NEX-7s going for their current new price due to demand from the aficionados.

My 35mm f1.4 Summilux now goes for 8x what I paid for it slightly used in 1983. My Canon FD 85mm f1.2L goes in 2013 dollars about exactly what I paid for it in 1989. Highly appreciated gear appreciates.

 Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,841Gear list
Like?
Re: New E-mount APS-C bodies will have DSLR shape, like A3000
In reply to Mel Snyder, 11 months ago

The problem is that everyone is guessing about the future of rangefinder styled bodies & Sony need to understand that all this speculation is causing damage to their market prospects.

The NEX series has been exclusively established by selling rangefinder styled cameras so why leave current owners in the dark ?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
proxy
Regular MemberPosts: 238
Like?
Re: New E-mount APS-C bodies will have DSLR shape, like A3000
In reply to Keit ll, 11 months ago

Keit ll wrote:

The problem is that everyone is guessing about the future of rangefinder styled bodies & Sony need to understand that all this speculation is causing damage to their market prospects.

The NEX series has been exclusively established by selling rangefinder styled cameras so why leave current owners in the dark ?

This is not the first time Sony sends opposing signals to the public. This doesn't help their credibility, and credibility is a no.1 requirement before you spend thousands on lenses. Innovation is great but the forget this is a commitment on both sides, P&S market is different, MILC and DSLR market is about betting on something long term. They are like a banana republic, you never know what next quarter gonna bring .

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
captura
Forum ProPosts: 14,599Gear list
Like?
Re: New E-mount APS-C bodies will have DSLR shape, like A3000
In reply to Keit ll, 11 months ago

A good reputation for a camera company means loyalty to it's product purchasers. And one of the ways they can express loyalty is maintaining a line of products for a very long time, sometimes through thick or thin. That sort of continuity keeps people coming back, generating more long term customers. Do Canon and Nikon keep all those thousands of customers because their products are better? (We know they're not.) No, it's because people have a sense that the supply chain and the service is long-term reliable.

But Sony is not primarily a camera company. Cameras are just a sideline for them, of relatively little importance. Sony camera fans have shown their loyalty...and sometimes their fanaticism as seen occasionally on this forum. Common sense would dictate that Sony management needs to grow up a bit and start giving their fan base some of that loyalty back.

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads