Now that the K3 has been returned.. back to work with the K5 IIs

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Jim Radcliffe
Forum ProPosts: 11,385Gear list
Like?
Re: Now that the K3 has been returned.. back to work with the K5 IIs
In reply to saralecaire, 9 months ago

saralecaire wrote:

Very nicely done, the K-5 II is still the best camera for image quality among Pentax's range.

Can't really justify the $400 premium for the other novelties the K-3 is marketed to provide.

Once again let me say that the K3 is an outstanding camera.  I would not suggest that its feature set are novelties.  The AF is improved.  The continuous AF is better.  The higher resolution will be welcomed by many who print large or crop deeply.  The video is better for those who venture in that area and the dual card slots and potential for wifi is also a big plus to many.

One feature I wish they had included in the K3 would be GPS tagging of shots.  Being able to look up the location of a shot after one's memory may have faded is very valuable.  I have looked at photos I have taken several years ago and in some cases I just can't remember where I took them.  GPS tagging would be a great help in relocating those places one wishes to revisit over time.

I don't produce super large prints and until the sensor engineers figure out how to provide that higher resolution on an cropped sensor without increasing noise at higher ISO settings the 16 MP sensor will work fine for me.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim Radcliffe
Like?
In reply to Younes B, 9 months ago

Younes B wrote:

Fantastic shot. Not only the subject matter with the stars in the background sky but also the level of effort in order to get this shot. You just don't go out and shoot whatever you find as most of us do, you actually set up a scene !

I think this is a shot that deserves being exposed in a gallery.

Thanks for sharing your tricks too!

Cheers

I've always felt that sharing the info about a photo is as important as sharing the photo itself.  Many of the photographers that I admire share more than just their photos.  On occasion I have written them to ask for the info about shots.. some are more willing than others to divulge the background of how they produced certain photos.

I've always enjoyed reading an accompanying narrative on how photos were taken.  It has helped me to learn how to better use my cameras and lenses.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 +6 more
BrianC
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,188
Like?
In reply to Jim Radcliffe, 9 months ago

I hope you have a book in the making! Your images are amazing and your descriptions fit perfectly.

Your patience for setting up shots is also impressive. I have a hard time setting up my tripod most times. I guess that's the difference between me and a real photographer.

-- hide signature --

Brian

Jim Radcliffe
Like?
In reply to BrianC, 9 months ago

BrianC wrote:

I hope you have a book in the making! Your images are amazing and your descriptions fit perfectly.

Your patience for setting up shots is also impressive. I have a hard time setting up my tripod most times. I guess that's the difference between me and a real photographer.

-- hide signature --

Brian

Brian, the book has been in the making for the last four years... I keep shooting and wanting to add more and more.. truth is I would rather shoot than publish.  I'll get around to it one of these days.

The night photography that I do does take time and preperation but the rewards have been much greater to me than the typical landscapes I shoot during the day.  You do everything in the dark, sometimes pitch black.. you struggle with focus, shutter speed and aperture, ISO settings and a host of other issues you don't normally run into doing photography during the day.. but it's all worth it to me.. and, it allows me to shoot 24/7.

When you can't go out and shoot during the day due to work...there is always the night... but most importantly, it's fun.

Thanks for your kind words.

PS.. I hate tripods but you have to use one at night.. there is just no way around it.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe

Chris Mak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,167
Like?

Jim Radcliffe wrote:

ASR45 wrote:

Glad you are happy with what you have Jim.

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

I would say that I am satisfied.. for the time being. Sensor noise has always been a pain in my backside, no matter what brand of camera I use. I hope that some day a radical improvement will be made.. then I will truly be happy.

Very nice image!

I think the K3 has its target set on a large group of Pentax shooters, but there is still a missing part in the Pentax line up, and what is going to fill that gap would target a different user base. That base is there, small or large, but it is there. Sounds like you are waiting along with others for the next step up from Pentax: the first Pentax digital full frame camera. I don't think apsc sensor technology is going to defeat the laws of physics in the near future, and apart from that, full frame always has a larger potential for growth when pure raw IQ is concerned, certainly (but not only) when your type of low light photography is concerned.

I think you are wise to have returned the K3, no matter how outstanding the camera is a as a high resolution apsc camera. I'm going to resist the temptation to try one out myself, and wait for what would really be a significant step up: the pentax K3 style FF. Seeing what they can do with good Sony sensors (at any rate the K3 is looking better than the D7100 to my eyes). it will be something to look out for.

Chris

Jim Radcliffe
Like?
In reply to jimrpdx, 9 months ago

jimrpdx wrote:

Great image, and great lighting ideas - I generally have a small LED flashlight (too dim) a road flare ( bad idea ) & headlights as alternate light sources. I really like this kind of shot but a bit more gear needs to come along for it.

-- hide signature --

Jim in Oregon -- Pentax user, Alpha & m4:3 veteran
talking to myself at http://granitix.blogspot.com

Jim, all you need is a sturdy tripod, a relatively fast lens and some patience and practice.  I could have taken this with my GF1 and the 20mm pancake lens.. it might have been a bit noisy but it would have worked.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe

HozicEmir
Contributing MemberPosts: 658
Like?

good work like usual but i think this image would be better with K-3

Mike Carroccio
Regular MemberPosts: 391Gear list
Like?
In reply to HozicEmir, 9 months ago

Beautiful photograph Jim. I would love to see pics of your homemade LED lights.

Mike Carroccio's gear list:Mike Carroccio's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Richard B.
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,358Gear list
Like?

Fantastic shot Jim!  I really like the lighting you have used on the shot, very atmospheric.

-- hide signature --
 Richard B.'s gear list:Richard B.'s gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +4 more
Russ Houston
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,370Gear list
Like?
Excellent shot!

Haven't been on here in a while, and this is the first thing I see when I return.  Excellent as always, Jim!  Great work.

-- hide signature --
 Russ Houston's gear list:Russ Houston's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +7 more
Jim Radcliffe
Like?
In reply to Richard B., 9 months ago

Richard B. wrote:

Fantastic shot Jim! I really like the lighting you have used on the shot, very atmospheric.

-- hide signature --

Thanks, Richard.  The cool thing about the lighting is it's all run off of 9 volt batteries and took five minutes to set up.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe

Jim Radcliffe
Like?
Re: Excellent shot!
In reply to Russ Houston, 9 months ago

Russ Houston wrote:

Haven't been on here in a while, and this is the first thing I see when I return. Excellent as always, Jim! Great work.

-- hide signature --

Thanks, Russ.  I have many more from that night but have not had the time to work on them yet.  Will post a few more soon.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe

solarider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,817Gear list
Like?

Jim,

if you hit a time of quiet, it would be fun if you could illustrate your low power 9 volt light looks like and how it works to the members. I tend to think visually and pics do me more good than only the written explanation..

I understand, you're not posting other images due to lack of time, so this would be low on the list, and certainly not so important. Thanks.

Nic

Jim Radcliffe wrote:

The cool thing about the lighting is it's all run off of 9 volt batteries and took five minutes to set up.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe

-- hide signature --

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift, the rational mind is a faithful servant.
We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

leopold
Forum ProPosts: 12,432Gear list
Like?

Always like to look at your photos, especially those with the star and ambient warm light like this one !

Great shot.

leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
efalconi
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
In reply to leopold, 9 months ago

Hi Jim,

I'm a fan and I'm also eagerly awaiting your book and I hope in the meantime, you can share

some of your post processing techniques with us :-).

Edwin

aekn
Regular MemberPosts: 372Gear list
Like?

Cool shot Jim!

Undah
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,296
Like?

Excellent!

I assume you used iso800 instead of a longer exposure to avoid star trails?

I especially like the lighting, how you lit the interior yourself, and how useful tp is in the field

Jim Radcliffe
Like?
Edwin..
In reply to efalconi, 9 months ago

efalconi wrote:

Hi Jim,

I'm a fan and I'm also eagerly awaiting your book and I hope in the meantime, you can share

some of your post processing techniques with us :-).

Edwin

Edwin, I really stick to basics when it comes to post-work. I import everything into Lightroom and use the adjustment brushes to dodge and burn. I also adjust temperature and saturation selectively, depending on the subject and the lighting.

I then usually export to Photoshop CS6 for finishing touches...

Noise reduction is usually via Topaz.

For sharpening I create a high-pass adjustment layer and then adjust opacity of that layer to suit my eye. Sometimes totally erasing some sections of the layer that do not require sharpening.

I save the full size layered image and then resize for whatever purpose I desire.

It's all really basic stuff. No magic or Photoshop actions are used.. just do it by hand to bring out the best of the photo.

I am still looking for the best noise reduction plugin as a lot of my night work is shot at ISO 800 to 3200 on occasion. I try not to ever go above ISO 1600 and get the best exposure possible in the camera.

PS: After years of not using Lightroom I have found that the very latest version is working for me and it is always my first step in post work now.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe

Jim Radcliffe
Like?
In reply to Undah, 9 months ago

Undah wrote:

Excellent!

I assume you used iso800 instead of a longer exposure to avoid star trails?

Exactly.  I hate star trails.  I've found that the very maximum I can go is 30 seconds before they become too apparent int he photo.  I usually try to shoot 20 seconds max. The other issue I have with the DA* 16-50 is coma.. have not found a way to combat that yet.  Chromatic aberration on bluish stars can also be an issue.

I especially like the lighting, how you lit the interior yourself, and how useful tp is in the field

Without the interior lighting this would have been a pretty boring shot.. and yes, TP comes in handy on a number of levels when out in the middle of nowhere.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe

Jim Radcliffe
Like?
Lighting...
In reply to solarider, 9 months ago

solarider wrote:

Jim,

if you hit a time of quiet, it would be fun if you could illustrate your low power 9 volt light looks like and how it works to the members. I tend to think visually and pics do me more good than only the written explanation..

I understand, you're not posting other images due to lack of time, so this would be low on the list, and certainly not so important. Thanks.

Nic

I'll take a shot or two of what I use so you can see how I do it and post them here.  Maybe have the chance to do that this evening.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads