Now that the K3 has been returned.. back to work with the K5 IIs

Started Nov 10, 2013 | Discussions
Jim Radcliffe
Forum ProPosts: 11,418Gear list
Like?
Now that the K3 has been returned.. back to work with the K5 IIs
Nov 10, 2013

There's no better way to get over returning a camera than to get out and shoot with what you currently own.  In my case that is the K5 IIs.

I love doing photography at night. It offers a totally different feeling than shooting during the day. It's quiet and lends itself to really taking your time to enjoy photography on a different level. Normally it is much quieter at night but on this occasion two competing packs of coyotes were trying to see which group could be the most vocal... but it did add to ambiance of the evening under the stars in west Texas.

This shot was taken last night near Fort Griffin, Texas. There was a half moon providing good ambient light but not enough to turn night into day during a long exposure. This little blacksmith's shop was an unexpected find. I was given access by the custodian of this historical area and was surprised to find the shop to be so complete in period equipment and its 1870s appearance.

There were no lights in this building but I have learned to bring a variety of lights for night work from soft LED floods to little LED contraptions I have made myself as well as a variety of flashlights. I used two of my little handmade LED lights to light the interior of the building, a red and amber LED, powered by a 9 volt battery. The type I used were ultra-bright and designed to run off of a 12 volt battery but 9 volts will run them for over 40 hours continuously.. no kidding, I created my first one and powered it for five days straight on a single 9 volt battery. The exterior of the building was painted with soft light from and LED flashlight with a slight amber filter over the lens.

For the interior lighting I control the intensity of the light in a very low tech manner... toilet paper... you need less light, you wrap toilet paper around it until you get the subdued light you need... this also allows the light to diffuse as well. Toilet paper is a very handy thing to have in the field.

I used the Pentax K5 IIs and the DA* 16-50 for this shot. Set up focus using AF and then switched to manual focus and locked it in. Exposure was 15 seconds at f/2.8 ISO 800. Lightroom was used for initial post-work then I moved the file to Photoshop CS6 for final tweaks, re-sizing and sharpening.

Hope you like it.. I had a great time taking it.  Left Dallas at 10am Saturday morning and returned at 4:20am Sunday.. a full night of shooting and enjoying being out of the big city.

Always best to view the large version of my photos..

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +6 more
Pentax K-5 IIs
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,802Gear list
Like?
Re: Now that the K3 has been returned.. back to work with the K5 IIs
In reply to Jim Radcliffe, Nov 10, 2013

Very nice work Jim! I enjoyed your picture as well as the detailed explanation, thanks for sharing!

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joseph Tainter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,518
Like?
In reply to Jim Radcliffe, Nov 10, 2013

Nice one, Jim. I feel like I could just move right in.

Joe

Younes B
Contributing MemberPosts: 723Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joseph Tainter, Nov 10, 2013

Fantastic shot. Not only the subject matter with the stars in the background sky but also the level of effort in order to get this shot. You just don't go out and shoot whatever you find as most of us do, you actually set up a scene !

I think this is a shot that deserves being exposed in a gallery.

Thanks for sharing your tricks too!

Cheers

Younes B's gear list:Younes B's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +6 more
jimrpdx
Senior MemberPosts: 2,986Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joseph Tainter, Nov 10, 2013

Great image, and great lighting ideas - I generally have a small LED flashlight (too dim) a road flare ( bad idea ) & headlights as alternate light sources. I really like this kind of shot but a bit more gear needs to come along for it.

-- hide signature --

Jim in Oregon -- Pentax user, Alpha & m4:3 veteran
talking to myself at http://granitix.blogspot.com

jimrpdx's gear list:jimrpdx's gear list
Pentax Q Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +1 more
GossCTP
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,142
Like?
In reply to jimrpdx, Nov 11, 2013

jimrpdx wrote:

Great image, and great lighting ideas - I generally have a small LED flashlight (too dim) a road flare ( bad idea ) & headlights as alternate light sources. I really like this kind of shot but a bit more gear needs to come along for it.

-- hide signature --

I'm not sure what you are using for a flashlight, but I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-EA4-Pioneer-Compact-Flashlight/dp/B00AEUQGR2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384135039&sr=8-2&keywords=flashlight+aa+860

I haven't gotten around to trying it with night shooting, but it seems about as bright as a car headlamp in the turbo mode.

-- hide signature --

Through the window in the wall
Come streaming in on sunlight wings
A million bright ambassadors of morning

Robert A F
Contributing MemberPosts: 520Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jim Radcliffe, Nov 11, 2013

I just watched the new Jeff Bridges redo of True Grit last night. This photo reminded me of something from the movie. Well done.

Robert

Robert A F's gear list:Robert A F's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D7100
Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 4,672
Like?

That is stunning. I love it.

andrew britten
Contributing MemberPosts: 984Gear list
Like?

Inspirational - thanks.

AB

andrew britten's gear list:andrew britten's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-x +1 more
TitusXIII
Regular MemberPosts: 449Gear list
Like?

Great work, James.

Hope the K3 won't flop, I myself got the IIs and really enjoy using it, no plans on going for the 3

TitusXIII's gear list:TitusXIII's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Pentax Optio W90 Canon PowerShot S110 Ricoh GR Nikon D80 +5 more
coaltrain
Regular MemberPosts: 251Gear list
Like?

Absolutely stunning shot! And thanks so much for the details - I love to learn about different lighting techniques.

And by the way - a K-5IIs user myself with no thoughts about upgrading.

-- hide signature --

~Stan~

coaltrain's gear list:coaltrain's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +7 more
Jim Beverlin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,334
Like?

Excellent image.  The text describing the background of the shot just enhances it.

-- hide signature --

JRB

SBS
SBS
Senior MemberPosts: 1,739
Like?

You are very inspirational.

Benoz
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,341Gear list
Like?

The K-5IIs did a great job...but you are the architect of this image! Excellent work!

Ben

Benoz's gear list:Benoz's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +5 more
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,924Gear list
Like?

Glad you are happy with what you have Jim.  

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II +3 more
saralecaire
Regular MemberPosts: 371
Like?

Very nicely done, the K-5 II is still the best camera for image quality among Pentax's range.

Can't really justify the $400 premium for the other novelties the K-3 is marketed to provide.

Jim Radcliffe
Like?
In reply to GossCTP, Nov 11, 2013

GossCTP wrote:

jimrpdx wrote:

-- hide signature --

I'm not sure what you are using for a flashlight, but I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-EA4-Pioneer-Compact-Flashlight/dp/B00AEUQGR2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384135039&sr=8-2&keywords=flashlight+aa+860

I haven't gotten around to trying it with night shooting, but it seems about as bright as a car headlamp in the turbo mode.

-- hide signature --

Through the window in the wall
Come streaming in on sunlight wings
A million bright ambassadors of morning

Jim, when doing exposures of this nature dim is better.  Bright light sources can very easily destroy the ambiance of such a scene.  The exterior of the building was bathed in soft moonlight. I only painted it with a dim LED flashlight for no more than three seconds.

As for the interior lighting, both the red and amber LEDs were wrapped with enough toilet paper to make them almost too dim to see with the naked eye.  Cameras love amber and red light and over a 15 to 30 second exposure they really drink those colors in.

I have found through trial and error that with night work of this nature that less light rather than more creates the most pleasing results.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +6 more
Jim Radcliffe
Like?
In reply to TitusXIII, Nov 11, 2013

TitusXIII wrote:

Great work, James.

Hope the K3 won't flop, I myself got the IIs and really enjoy using it, no plans on going for the 3

No worries on the K3 flopping.  It is jammed with features and improvements that many will find to be just what they have been waiting for.  Mine was returned only because the two features I cared about most (AF speed and high ISO noise) did not seem improved enough to warrant the expenditure of $1295 for the marginal improvements over my K5 IIs.  The K3 is an outstanding camera.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe

Jim Radcliffe
Like?
In reply to Jim Beverlin, Nov 11, 2013

Jim Beverlin wrote:

Excellent image. The text describing the background of the shot just enhances it.

-- hide signature --

JRB

Jim, too often people post photos with no background on the who, what, where, when and how the photos were taken.  The old saying that a picture is worth a thousand words does not always satisfy those of us who care about what went into the making of a photograph.  Glad you enjoyed this one.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe

Jim Radcliffe
Like?
In reply to ASR45, Nov 11, 2013

ASR45 wrote:

Glad you are happy with what you have Jim.

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

I would say that I am satisfied.. for the time being.  Sensor noise has always been a pain in my backside, no matter what brand of camera I use.  I hope that some day a radical improvement will be made.. then I will truly be happy.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads