How good is 24meg realy ?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Donald B
Senior MemberPosts: 3,352Gear list
Like?
How good is 24meg realy ?
10 months ago

As every one knows I shoot with a k7 as well as some compacts, most of the test shots we see are of contrasty well difined detail subjects, the reason I havnt upgraded is due to the great rendering of skin tones that the k7 produces, I shot a dance school this weekend using the 7100 and k7 using both jpeg and flash wb on both cameras, the d7100 did a great job overall but I have to wonder is 24 meg to much or was the 7100 designed for detail rather than texture detail the photos looked fabulous but people are buying these cameras to do large crops ?.

these are %300 crops

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Pentax K7, Panasonic fz150, Olympus XZ1, my main toys.

Nikon D7100 Pentax K-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
kikivrany
Senior MemberPosts: 2,775
Like?
Re: How good is 24meg realy ?
In reply to Donald B, 10 months ago

Hello Donald B

Now there is a big different.

On the other hand, what lens did you used on your Pentax K7 and on the Nikon, I mean, is the IQ of the lens compareable, and also, are you sure that on both pictures the focus was naild ?

best regards  kikivrany

-- hide signature --

carpe noctem

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Donald B
Like?
In reply to kikivrany, 10 months ago

kikivrany wrote:

Hello Donald B

On the other hand, what lens did you used on your Pentax K7 and on the Nikon, I mean, is the IQ of the lens compareable, and also, are you sure that on both pictures the focus was naild ?

best regards kikivrany

-- hide signature --

carpe noctem

Hi kikivrany, for these shoots I use a sigma 18 200 stopped at f8 on my k7  which can match my limiteds for detail, the lens on the 7100 tamron zoom 18 250 I think stopped at f8 again which can produce great results stopped down as well to the point of both lens beating my 10 24 wide tamron no problems. the detail on eye lashes is the same its just the skin surfaces ?

cheers don

-- hide signature --

awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,736Gear list
Like?

Donald B wrote:

As every one knows I shoot with a k7 as well as some compacts, most of the test shots we see are of contrasty well difined detail subjects, the reason I havnt upgraded is due to the great rendering of skin tones that the k7 produces, I shot a dance school this weekend using the 7100 and k7 using both jpeg and flash wb on both cameras, the d7100 did a great job overall but I have to wonder is 24 meg to much or was the 7100 designed for detail rather than texture detail the photos looked fabulous but people are buying these cameras to do large crops ?.

these are %300 crops

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Three issues here

1 both crops are the same size yet 1 camera should produce 1:1 crops nearly twice the size of the other (14mp Vs 24) so at a guess you have reduce the 7100 by 2X then expanded by 3x and are surprised it fell apart ??

2 300% crop! so 200% of these image are interpolated pixels not produced by the camera !

So any results are more todo with the PC than camera

3 left hand image d file naming infers its a Sony !!!

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
kikivrany
Senior MemberPosts: 2,775
Like?

Donald B wrote:

kikivrany wrote:

Hello Donald B

On the other hand, what lens did you used on your Pentax K7 and on the Nikon, I mean, is the IQ of the lens compareable, and also, are you sure that on both pictures the focus was naild ?

best regards kikivrany

-- hide signature --

carpe noctem

Hi kikivrany, for these shoots I use a sigma 18 200 stopped at f8 on my k7 which can match my limiteds for detail, the lens on the 7100 tamron zoom 18 250 I think stopped at f8 again which can produce great results stopped down as well to the point of both lens beating my 10 24 wide tamron no problems. the detail on eye lashes is the same its just the skin surfaces ?

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Hello again Donald B

Thanks for the quick reply.

I know not much about the lens, but I think you must also count in the relative slow shutter speed at the used focal length. I don't know if you had the cameras on a tripod. For the case you hand held the cameras, it could be that we see a little motion blur (is the Nikon lens a VR lens? ) in this large crop.

best regards kikivrany

-- hide signature --

carpe noctem

awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,736Gear list
Like?
In reply to awaldram, 10 months ago
 awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,281Gear list
Like?

Hi Don,

I would have thought that a 50% increase in resolution was worth having if you need to upgrade. My K5 is 60% up on my old K10D. 24mpx is +50% on the 16mpx of my K5. (And 36mpx is +50% more on 24mpx.)  While any increase has an edge, I think 50% is probably what I would see as the significant step up that might make an upgrade worthwhile.

Is it needed, is it worth having? I think that depends on several things. One needs to recognise that having a sensor doesn't produce images. An image pipeline does - and that means lens, senor, and processor of matching capability. And it depends on usage. If you view only on 4X6" prints and an 11" laptop, then 24mpx is overkill. OTOH, if you do print big, even occasionally, it may be very much worthwhile.

It's interesting to have a look at different sensors on the IR comparator tool - if you like you could compare the K5 and K10, or K3 and K5, or other cameras with a 50% increase in sensor resolution (eg the Nikon D3X & D800).

Cheers,

Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
Donald B
Like?
In reply to Rod McD, 10 months ago

I was just talking to a friend of mine that's been a world class pro for 40 years and he understands my logic perfectly, he him self confessors to using the latest software to increase file sizes so he can print bill boards and bus stops and agrees you don't need the large sensors. he said the days of mf are gone.

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Donald B
Like?
In reply to awaldram, 10 months ago

awaldram wrote:

Donald B wrote:

these are %300 crops

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Three issues here

1 both crops are the same size yet 1 camera should produce 1:1 crops nearly twice the size of the other (14mp Vs 24) so at a guess you have reduce the 7100 by 2X then expanded by 3x and are surprised it fell apart ??

2 300% crop! so 200% of these image are interpolated pixels not produced by the camera !

So any results are more todo with the PC than camera

3 left hand image d file naming infers its a Sony !!!

sorry Andrew but nothing beats real world photos, don't care how much logic is applied. im going to reduce my k7 shots down to 2meg for printing and wont loose any detail even printing a 3 foot poster. I will post some full size files soon. oh I forgot to mention my k7 was not shot at full quality neither ?

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Rod McD
Like?
Re: How good is 24 meg realy ?

Hi Don,

I shoot lots of things but nature and landscape are my main interests.  Landscape photographers and appreciators are notorious for viewing large photos at closer than usual viewing distances.  The preferred image seems to be (usually, but not always) the one that looks like you're looking out a window into the real landscape.  I've printed from my K5 images and I find them better than my 35mm slides.  I think they start to compete with medium format, but my better 6X7 trannies still have the edge on them for 12X18" and 16X20" prints.  My 4X5" trannies still beat everything else.

Where's this going? Well some of us are still interested in larger sensors and higher mpx.  I don't understand up-scaling.  How can you create what isn't there?  I don't print large all the time, but when I do, I want them to give me at least that medium format look.  So, I'm personally taking an interest in the 36mpx Sony A7r to complement my DSLR system.  The combination of a small, light, sealed, high res body that I can use with my best Pentax and other lenses and with movements is very attractive.  And when I don't want huge file sizes, I can simply shoot crop or turn down the resolution.

Horses for courses.

Cheers, Rod

Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
Donald B
Like?

have a look at these. a7r,800e,humble k7. all extreme crops of half body portraits I downloaded and cropped

-- hide signature --

MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,560
Like?

You are comparing apples to UFO's... there is nothing remotely similar about the camera settings, lenses used, lighting used, people used, composition or pose. Never judge a camera by some random persons photos taken by that camera. If you truly want an accurate portrayal without doing your own perfect side by side test then check DXO's charts only at the screen setting and not the print setting. that will give you a pixel for pixel difference between the 2 cameras. Print will give you a perceptual difference which can be misleading.

for a start... Check SNR, DR, Tonal Range and Colour Sensitivity at the screen setting, that will give you a good idea as to what changed between the K-7 and the modern 24mp sensors, not perfect as the K-3 hasn't been DXO'd yet.

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/%28appareil1%29/865|0/%28brand%29/Nikon/%28appareil2%29/615|0/%28brand2%29/Pentax

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Rod McD
Like?

Hi again Don,

Sorry but trying to compare these cameras by cropped images does my head in. Crops of eyes have little to do with what I do.   I don't know what lenses were used or what conditions they were taken in. And the FLs and apertures were quite different.  I prefer the IR comparator tool.  That way I can see the same image shot by different cameras and look at the outcomes in any way I choose.

I didn't pick my K5 lightly.  I did some research  - on its feature set, the lens range, some reviews and its performance.  And I liked it.  I'm considering the A7r in the same way - no final decision made yet.

I guess another way of looking at all this is that a camera is a luxury appliance, and we buy what we like (within our budget, and perhaps a bit outside of it!).  Photography is not essential to life.  No-one needs a camera.  Even pros could do other work.  Most of the world's population can't take any photos at all.  Most that can use a phone.  And of those that have a camera, the majority have a compact.  We're all niche players in these forums.  We're not here for a long - I think I'll go with my belief structure (illusions, delusions or otherwise) and buy one I like.  It'll have a high res sensor.  There's no substitute for simply liking a camera to get you out there enjoying it.....

Cheers, Rod

Ian Stuart Forsyth
Senior MemberPosts: 1,781Gear list
Like?

Donald B wrote:

have a look at these. a7r,800e,humble k7. all extreme crops of half body portraits I downloaded and cropped

-- hide signature --

Sorry but what is this to show, only thing I can see is under different conditions different cameras take different photos, if this was your test then it’s a success .

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release
http://www.flickr.com/photos/isfphotography/
http://isfphotography.smugmug.com/
http://isfphotography.com/

Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list:Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 +19 more
Unexpresivecanvas
Senior MemberPosts: 1,060
Like?

Donald B wrote:

these are %300 crops

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Sorry to ask.

Is this an exercise on what other people call "pixel peeping"?

Thanks.

UE

DRabbit
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,575Gear list
Like?
Megapixels shmegapixels
In reply to Unexpresivecanvas, 10 months ago

To double the resolution of a 15mp camera, you need to multiply 15 x 4. You would need a 60mp camera to double the resolution.

The difference between the K3s 24mp and the K7s 15mp is about 1300 pixels on the widest side. It's not a significant difference.

What is of more importance is the overall image quality of a more current camera. In theory, processing gets better, improvements are made to noise performance, the camera may be faster or focus more accurately, etc. etc. MP shouldn't be your gauge on whether to upgrade or not. At least not at this point in 2013. I've printed VERY large from 8mp cameras with excellent results, and recently with 16mp camera with outstanding results… The 10mp files from a much older Leica M8 can produce beautiful large prints. There are more important reasons to upgrade (sometimes) other than Megapixel counts.

24mp in green, 16mp in white.

Amy

-- hide signature --

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
on Google+... on Twitter... on Facebook
My PAD Project and My Gallery

DRabbit's gear list:DRabbit's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica M8 Pentax K-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Donald B
Like?
Re: Megapixels shmegapixels
In reply to DRabbit, 10 months ago

DRabbit wrote:

To double the resolution of a 15mp camera, you need to multiply 15 x 4. You would need a 60mp camera to double the resolution.

The difference between the K3s 24mp and the K7s 15mp is about 1300 pixels on the widest side. It's not a significant difference.

What is of more importance is the overall image quality of a more current camera. In theory, processing gets better, improvements are made to noise performance, the camera may be faster or focus more accurately, etc. etc. MP shouldn't be your gauge on whether to upgrade or not. At least not at this point in 2013. I've printed VERY large from 8mp cameras with excellent results, and recently with 16mp camera with outstanding results… The 10mp files from a much older Leica M8 can produce beautiful large prints. There are more important reasons to upgrade (sometimes) other than Megapixel counts.

24mp in green, 16mp in white.

Amy

-- hide signature --

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
on Google+... on Twitter... on Facebook
My PAD Project and My Gallery

cheers for the picture, most people just don't get it ! their isn't much difference, you would think an upgrade to 24 meg is some kind of magic. funny how no one else posts any photos they have taken themselves, but are not shy in offering their opinions to some who does.

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Donald B
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, 10 months ago

MightyMike wrote:

You are comparing apples to UFO's... there is nothing remotely similar about the camera settings, lenses used, lighting used, people used, composition or pose. Never judge a camera by some random persons photos taken by that camera. If you truly want an accurate portrayal without doing your own perfect side by side test then check DXO's charts only at the screen setting and not the print setting. that will give you a pixel for pixel difference between the 2 cameras. Print will give you a perceptual difference which can be misleading.

for a start... Check SNR, DR, Tonal Range and Colour Sensitivity at the screen setting, that will give you a good idea as to what changed between the K-7 and the modern 24mp sensors, not perfect as the K-3 hasn't been DXO'd yet.

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/%28appareil1%29/865|0/%28brand%29/Nikon/%28appareil2%29/615|0/%28brand2%29/Pentax

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

everyone has eyes, don't need a sales site to tell me the difference in photo quality, even my 75 yo mother can see the difference , and can only see out of one eye.

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 20,725Gear list
Like?
Re: K3 >> K5 according to IR image comparometer @ ISO 100

Rod McD wrote:

It's interesting to have a look at different sensors on the IR comparator tool -

The K3 is MUCH better at ISO 100 than K5. I really wonder if the difference can be that large?

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Quattro RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +8 more
fotografos
Contributing MemberPosts: 728Gear list
Like?

Donald B wrote:

I was just talking to a friend of mine that's been a world class pro for 40 years and he understands my logic perfectly, he him self confessors to using the latest software to increase file sizes so he can print bill boards and bus stops and agrees you don't need the large sensors. he said the days of mf are gone.

cheers don

It's been a while since i've been here and I drop in for a few minutes to see how well the K3's been received and I read this... Are you kidding me???

.bill

fotografos's gear list:fotografos's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads