D610 vs. 5D Mark III

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
ron purdy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,493Gear list
Like?
D610 vs. 5D Mark III
8 months ago

I’ve been using Canons for the past 20 years or so. A couple days ago I bought a Nikon D610 and the 50mm 1.8 G on a lark.

My first impression: the D610 is pretty damn good.

First, the image quality is at least as good (and often better) than my much higher priced 5D3.

Also the AF on the D610 has been great so far. Even though is is lesser-spec’d than the Canon’s, the AF assist light helps tremendously in low light. It focuses perfectly well in very dim light, much, MUCH better low light AF than my old 5D2.

The D610 feels somewhat cheap (more plastic and hollow) than my 5D3, but the IQ is great. Even jpegs are yielding amazing results. And with RAW, both highlights and shadows look spectacular. Even at 100% view, there is just more integrity there than there is on the Canon. And the Nikon files are sharper when both are optimized. Also the Canon files consistently NEED noise reduction (even at low ISOs) where the Nikon needs none.

Shooting both kits each with a 50mm, the Nikon files are by far superior in terms of metering, shadow noise, detail, great colors, etc. I usually shoot people, but have recently been shooting travel and landscapes as well. And for this purpose, the D610 looks awesome. Another thing that works well is manually focusing - it’s just easier to tell where the focus is on the D610. The viewfinder is darker, and there is more snap in and out of focus.

I will post a few RAW files when I have a minute, but needless to say, I am very impressed. I will likely be keeping this camera. And I will purchase a couple more lenses to go with it. Unfortunately, there are not a whole lot of converters which will work with these D610 files, as the camera is new...

Overall, the D610 files are simply take a lot less work (due to superior noise, sharpness and metering) to get them where I need them to be. And the AF has been as reliable as my 5D3. Though I am not really using follow-focus, which would likely work better on the 5D3.

For now I am keeping my Canons too.

-- hide signature --

ron purdy dot com

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D610
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Apewithacamera
Senior MemberPosts: 2,151Gear list
Like?
Nikon finally got it right did they? ;-)
In reply to ron purdy, 8 months ago

Cheers

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Slideshow Bob
Senior MemberPosts: 1,114
Like?
Re: D610 vs. 5D Mark III

I'm not doubting how happy you are with the camera (and I'll admit that I haven't used a D610), but for "people" photographs, I'd expect the 5DIII to have better skin tones. Of the cameras I've used (Canon, Nikon, and Fuji), I'd rate the Nikon last for skin tones. I always thought the Nikons were great for mechanical stuff, and I use them when shooting aircraft. But IMHO, unless you want to get into colour calibration cards, Canon does people better.

Or am I missing something with Nikon's latest DSLR?

SB

ron purdy
Like?
In reply to Slideshow Bob, 8 months ago

Slideshow Bob wrote:

I'm not doubting how happy you are with the camera (and I'll admit that I haven't used a D610), but for "people" photographs, I'd expect the 5DIII to have better skin tones.

So far I have found the skin tones to be fine - as good as the Canon using ACR for conversions. No problem there.

I have had recent issues when needing to lighten hair, for example, where the Canon introduces all kinds of ugly noise. And that is why I decided to try the Nikon...

P.S.  It's not jus the shadows which are cleaner, it's the whole file that's better.

-- hide signature --

ron purdy dot com

Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,094Gear list
Like?

I would probably enjoy the D610 if it was not for the grip, the only thing that bugs me about those camera's (haven't had enough time playing with their RAW files + skin tones, but from what I've tried it has bottomless shadow noise to the point that you can not use simple tone curve adjustments any more without throwing things out of whack but need to do layer mask adjustments to really take advantage).  There is a pointy bulge on the back of the grip that aggravates me...and if I change my grip to 'avoid' that bulge it doesn't feel very secure to me.

The shadows of the 6D are cleaner than 5DMKII or 5DMKIII.  The 5DMKIII was a very minor 'debanding' type of improvement over the 5DMKII (similar to say how much a 60D or recent t5i may do over the old 7D).  The 6D actually offers up enough improvement in shadow noise to be mostly acceptable and matches IMO the Nikon D3200.  Noticed I said D3200, not D600.

I actually have a tendency to not raise up my ISO enough in many of my shots and shoot a enough lowlight that the 6D is fine for me (it actually pulls a head a little at very high ISO shots).

Other things the 6D does...wifi/gps, ludicrously good center point AF, like a glove ergonomics (for me).  The Nikon 50mms are seriously more modern than Canons, although the Canon 50mm 1.4 is still very very good for the price, my copy is quite sharp (the Nikon 50mm 1.8 is arguably better in price perf than the Nikon 50 1.4 which from what I've seen from samples or charts just requires some stop-down to get going).  The Canon 50mm seems to be the #1 most likely prime update to come in the next year or so.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,527Gear list
Like?

If D610 has the same sensor of D600 minus oil leaking (that is from shutter box from what I read)? If yes, then from tons of comparison we have seen so far between D600 and 5DIII, D600 IQ is not much better. I don't see 'ugly' noises from my 5DIII files. Right exposure is the key that I expose on mid-tone or many times even a bit of overexposure (so-called ETTR). You can call biased but I prefer Canon colors and skin tone from what I have seen. You can see many my 5D3 files in the links below. It also depends on what lenses you use. I use some best lenses in industry such as 24-70L II and 70-200L II that both are better than Nikon's counterparts, and actually 5DIII with these two f/2.8 zoom is sharper than D600 (D610 should the same) with respective lenses, as confirmed in DXO system test. 5DIII otherwise shoot a bit faster with noticeably deeper buffer depth and clean buffer much faster (with 1000X CF card) that is critical in sports, wildlife, airshow/motorsport etc action photos. Its build quality and gripping are (much) better than D610/D600 as said by many. By this sense, D610/D600 is not at the same level of 5DIII.

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
ron purdy
Like?
In reply to qianp2k, 8 months ago

qianp2k wrote:

I don't see 'ugly' noises from my 5DIII files. Right exposure is the key that I expose on mid-tone or many times even a bit of overexposure (so-called ETTR). You can call biased but I prefer Canon colors and skin tone from what I have seen. You can see many my 5D3 files in the links below. It also depends on what lenses you use.

I am sure I will keep both for a while, but as it stands, regardless of the lens, the Nikon yields the better file. (sharpness, colors, detail, D.R., and metering in my experience)

If all goes well I will probably be purchasing a D800 as well.

The one things that holds me back is that over the years (I have probably purchased 20 5D, and 1Ds cameras over the years for my various studios) and Canon cameras have been VERY reliable. And the Canon service has also been great. Nikon on the other hand is known for annoying service.

-- hide signature --

ron purdy dot com

Bamboojled
Regular MemberPosts: 417Gear list
Like?
In reply to Slideshow Bob, 8 months ago

Slideshow Bob wrote:

I'm not doubting how happy you are with the camera (and I'll admit that I haven't used a D610), but for "people" photographs, I'd expect the 5DIII to have better skin tones. Of the cameras I've used (Canon, Nikon, and Fuji), I'd rate the Nikon last for skin tones. I always thought the Nikons were great for mechanical stuff, and I use them when shooting aircraft. But IMHO, unless you want to get into colour calibration cards, Canon does people better.

Or am I missing something with Nikon's latest DSLR?

SB

Supposedly the new Expeed processor in the D610 has an updated WB.

This could be the reason that he has not noticed any difference between the 5DIII vs. D610

ron purdy
Like?
white balance
In reply to Bamboojled, 8 months ago

This could be the reason that he has not noticed any difference between the 5DIII vs. D610

I find under artificial lighting white balance is better with the D610. Daylight they are about the same, though the Canon can go a bit magenta sometimes.

-- hide signature --

ron purdy dot com

qianp2k
Like?

ron purdy wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

I don't see 'ugly' noises from my 5DIII files. Right exposure is the key that I expose on mid-tone or many times even a bit of overexposure (so-called ETTR). You can call biased but I prefer Canon colors and skin tone from what I have seen. You can see many my 5D3 files in the links below. It also depends on what lenses you use.

I am sure I will keep both for a while, but as it stands, regardless of the lens, the Nikon yields the better file. (sharpness, colors, detail, D.R., and metering in my experience)

Again depends on what lenses.  With respective 50/1.8, I guess D610 is sharper but certainly not with respective 24-70/2.8 zoom if you check DXO.  As colors it's subjective.  I prefer Canon colors and skin tone in general.  As DR, yes D610 wins easily if you need to push up a severely-underexposed photo but not much difference if you expose on middle or even a bit of over-exposed (the method I prefer) by judging histogram.

If all goes well I will probably be purchasing a D800 as well.

The one things that holds me back is that over the years (I have probably purchased 20 5D, and 1Ds cameras over the years for my various studios) and Canon cameras have been VERY reliable. And the Canon service has also been great. Nikon on the other hand is known for annoying service.

Good luck for you.  I respect your personal opinion.  But I don't have problems in my 5D3 files as you experienced.  I have tons of files for you to judge in my links.

-- hide signature --

ron purdy dot com

Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
qianp2k
Like?
Re: white balance

ron purdy wrote:

I find under artificial lighting white balance is better with the D610. Daylight they are about the same, though the Canon can go a bit magenta sometimes.

Maybe D610 improves WB greatly. I have read many prefer 5D3 over D600 in artificial lighting WB. If Canon has magenta cast then Nikon has obvious green cast that depends on which is your better taste.

BTW, I bought 5DIII with USA warranty registration card at $2499 in the Black Friday deal last year, so certainly is not way more expensive than D600 then or D610 now (after one year's usage)

-- hide signature --

ron purdy dot com

Marx81
Regular MemberPosts: 411Gear list
Like?

Finally Nikon got it right .

At least Canon didn't made a remedial 5D3,1 model . As owner of 5D3 I appreciate this .

I no see consistent noise at low ISO on my 5D3 , nor I need noise reduction at low ISO .

I like native color rendering on 5D3 . This is one of the reasons I got it .

I find always inspiring positive experiences with new gear , thank you for sharing these interesting notes with us .

Congrats for your new cam .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marxx/

Marx81's gear list:Marx81's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +3 more
Keith Z Leonard
Senior MemberPosts: 4,014Gear list
Like?

Yeah, I can't comment on the D600 or 610, but I certainly don't need to add noise reduction to the 5D3 at low ISO.  How is OP inspecting these files??

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
SushiEater
Senior MemberPosts: 1,587Gear list
Like?

I would definitely bought D600 instead of this stupid 5d3 if it had CF card instead of SD card.

It would save me $1500 for more lenses.

I had so many problems and lost so many SD cards that it is not even funny. Plus even the fastest SD cards somehow slow in the camera and slow in the outside devices.

BTW, DXO got it all wrong probably because they don't have access to lenses as much as Lens Rentals. D600 and especially D800 outresolve 5D3 even with lesser lenses.
There was an article posted here on this site but somehow DPR decided to remove it probably because a lot of Canon fanboys were upset.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/01/a-24-70mm-system-comparison show D800 outresolve 5D3  even though 5D3 was using the best Canon lens and D800 was using Tamron which is even below Nikon 24-70G in resolution but not by much. I trust Lens Rentals much more than DXO.

Congrats on D610.

SushiEater's gear list:SushiEater's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +9 more
Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,094Gear list
Like?
In reply to SushiEater, 8 months ago

SushiEater wrote:

I would definitely bought D600 instead of this stupid 5d3 if it had CF card instead of SD card.

I had so many problems and lost so many SD cards that it is not even funny. Plus even the fastest SD cards somehow slow in the camera and slow in the outside devices.

BTW, DXO got it all wrong probably because they don't have access to lenses as much as Lens Rentals. D600 and especially D800 outresolve 5D3 even with lesser lenses.
There was an article posted here on this site but somehow DPR decided to remove it probably because a lot of Canon fanboys were upset.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/01/a-24-70mm-system-comparison show D800 outresolve 5D3 even though 5D3 was using the best Canon lens and D800 was using Tamron which is even below Nikon 24-70G in resolution but not by much. I trust Lens Rentals much more than DXO.

Congrats on D610.

No where did that page say the D600 outresolves it...only the D800*e*.  The 36MP sensor with no AA filter can out-resolve the 5DMKIII with its best lens.  This does not magically mean you can replace the D800e with D600, D800, and continue down whatever slippery slope you are attempting here.  In fact Roger commented on someone asking in particular about the D600 and Roger stated that the Canon would then have the edge if its in comparison with Nikon's 24MP sensors.  And I do believe Roger ended up picking the 6D for his own personal camera, but if he's a true gear head I'm sure he's sold and traded between 5 other new camera systems already.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
qianp2k
Like?

SushiEater wrote:

If you shoot mainly BIF, sports, airshow, motorsports and wildlife you will not think this way. 5DIII AF is superior than D600/D610 AF in tracking. 5DIII has deeper buffer and most importantly cleaning buffer much faster with 1000x CF card that is critical in action shots. BTW why you still keep your "stupid" 5DIII? As a matter of fact, you're the only person bashes 5D3 down to stupid level from what I have heard.

C'mon. Let's talking street price. You can get $3K 5D3 everywhere daily now. So certainly is not $1500 price difference. Nevertheless they are cameras at different levels. 5DIII better AF, build quality and handling/griping alone already put it in higher league than D610/D600.

Personally I never have issues in SD cards either as never with CF cards. SD is slower compared to CF card that is true.

Yeah, including DXO DR test is 'wrong' too, lol.  From where you concluded D600 outresolves 5D3 with lesser lenses?

I read it's between D800E and 5D3, not with D600/D610. 36mp with excellent Tamron zoom outresolves 5D3 with Canon zoom is understandable. Even DXO shows almost tied in p-mpix that is perceptual sharpness not absolute resolution, related but not the same. Two tests don't conflict each other. I doubt 2 mp difference will let D610/D600 with lesser lenses outresolves 5D3 with better lenses.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/01/a-24-70mm-system-comparison show D800 outresolve 5D3 even though 5D3 was using the best Canon lens and D800 was using Tamron which is even below Nikon 24-70G in resolution but not by much. I trust Lens Rentals much more than DXO.

Personally I trust DXO more (not suggest Roger is not good). They tested in different ways but you trying to compare apple to orange.

Congrats on D610.

Agreed, good luck to OP.

qianp2k
Like?
Tamron seems is soft at tele side

I just checked this DXO 24-70L II on 5DIII vs Tamron 24-70 VC on D800 . Something interests me. It seems Tamron 24-70//2.8 VC is as sharp as Canon 24-70L/2.8 II at 24-35mm side at f/2.8 wide open, but becomes noticeably softer especially in edges from 50-70mm.

Personally sharpness is more important to me than resolution difference as I don't print more than 20x30" or only view at my Dell 2713H monitor. If you need to print to 40x60" D800 will show its obvious resolution advantage but hardly can tell difference at 20x30". Sharpness especially in edges/corners at wide open makes Canon 24-70L/2.8 II "peerless performer" claimed by my trusted DXO tests

SushiEater
Senior MemberPosts: 1,587Gear list
Like?
In reply to Timbukto, 8 months ago

Timbukto wrote:

SushiEater wrote:

Congrats on D610.

No where did that page say the D600 outresolves it...

If you put equivalent lens on D600 it will. My point is it is very unfair to put better lens regardless who is making it on 5D3 and claim camera is better because it is not. If Nikon makes better lens tomorrow or Zeiss for example what would you say when? Basically the lens what makes 5D3 shine but not the camera itself.

SushiEater's gear list:SushiEater's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +9 more
roustabout66
Regular MemberPosts: 467Gear list
Like?

SushiEater wrote:

Congrats on D610.

You must have missed the part where he tested the Nikon 24-70 as well as the Tamron. The Tamron was about the same as the Nikon but both were behind the Canon 24-70 as a lens goes. 36 MP obviously out-resolved 22, but it was surprisingly close when using the better Canon lens vs the Nikon 24-70.

By the way, last year Roger decided on a Canon 6D as his personal camera. With all the information he had at hand, he felt it offered the best combination of qualities.

qianp2k
Like?

SushiEater wrote:

Timbukto wrote:

SushiEater wrote:

Congrats on D610.

No where did that page say the D600 outresolves it...

If you put equivalent lens on D600 it will.

If all others the same, 2mp difference in sensors is pretty minimum.

My point is it is very unfair to put better lens regardless who is making it on 5D3 and claim camera is better because it is not.

The reality is that Canon has more better lenses than Nikon's counterparts. From my perspective and the lenses I actually own and use, Canon 24-70L II and 70-200L II are all better than Nikon counterpart. 500L/4.0 IS is as good as Nikon 500G. 100-400L despite is old is not much less than Nikon's new 80-400G but with only half price. I agree Nikon has better UWA zoom 14-24G. But I don't use a normal UWA lens anymore (I don't like severe distortion from regular UWA lenses such as vertical converging lines). Instead I pickup Canon 17mm TS-E that is more useful to me and it's my UWA lens that Nikon doesn't have a counterpart.

5D3 is a better all-round camera than D600/D610 overall and in higher category. IQ is comparable while 5D3 is far more versatile.

If Nikon makes better lens tomorrow or Zeiss for example what would you say when? Basically the lens what makes 5D3 shine but not the camera itself.

Then Canon might have even better lenses, or Canon will have a 47mp camera then. You cannot claim on a pseudo assumption.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads