Good flash for Panasonic GH3

Started 10 months ago | Questions
Digital Parasite
Forum MemberPosts: 87
Like?
Good flash for Panasonic GH3
10 months ago

I'm looking to finally get a decent flash for the GH3. Are there any good compatible flashes out there besides the DMW-FL360L that I should be looking at?  I'm not really interested in a manual-only flash.

Thank you in advance.

Jeff.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,878Gear list
Like?
Re: Good flash for Panasonic GH3
In reply to Digital Parasite, 10 months ago

I've not yet acquired an external flash for my GH3. This site has a list of compatibilities according to Panasonic: http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/gh3.html Flashes (Panny & Oly) are about 2/3 of the way down the page.

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marcello Zini
Contributing MemberPosts: 803Gear list
Like?

Digital Parasite wrote:

I'm looking to finally get a decent flash for the GH3. Are there any good compatible flashes out there besides the DMW-FL360L that I should be looking at? I'm not really interested in a manual-only flash.

Thank you in advance.

Jeff.

Metz flashes should be fully TTL and RC, I have the af-48 and it works as well as the olympus in every respect on the EM-5 - of course dotble check but I think it is safe to assume full compatibility on the flagship Panasonic camera

Marcello

-- hide signature --

...slowly building my gallery at
http://picasaweb.google.com/marcellozini
Marcello

Marcello Zini's gear list:Marcello Zini's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm Nikon Coolpix 2500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +1 more
Digital Parasite
Like?
In reply to Marcello Zini, 10 months ago

Thanks, I forgot about Metz flashes.  Just curious, why did you choose the Metz over the Olympic flash?

Marcello Zini
Like?

Digital Parasite wrote:

Thanks, I forgot about Metz flashes. Just curious, why did you choose the Metz over the Olympic flash?

I remember that I read a post from somebody speaking highly about it on an EM-5, I found a used one for 120 € (or something like that). I compared to a friend's fl600r and found out that, aside of the different GN, they work very similarly in every respect, even together in RC mode on different channels. One good thing is that Metz issued a fw update to make it fully Oly/Pana compatible.

Marcello

-- hide signature --

Marcello

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm Nikon Coolpix 2500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +1 more
Digital Parasite
Like?
In reply to Marcello Zini, 10 months ago

Interesting.  I'm looking at the Metz 52 AF-1 model and it seems the be more expensive than the Panasonic flash and does not have the full-time LED light that can be used for video.

Marcello Zini
Like?

Digital Parasite wrote:

Interesting. I'm looking at the Metz 52 AF-1 model and it seems the be more expensive than the Panasonic flash and does not have the full-time LED light that can be used for video.

Metz flashes seem to be rather expensive in the americas http://speedlights.net/2010/11/10/metz-48-af-1-flash-review/ while their price is more competitive in Europe - wow that rarely happens. I never thought of using a flash for video but it may be useful. Here Panasonic flashes are even more expensive than Olympus ones

-- hide signature --

Marcello

dmanthree
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,435Gear list
Like?
I use a Metz 52AF

Great flash, especially when combined with a StoFen diffuser. Good power, balances nicely on the GH3 and has a nice color tone. Use 4 AA batteries.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,149
Like?
Nissin Speedlite Di 466

Nissin Speedlite Di 466

-- hide signature --

Dave

Digital Parasite
Like?
Re: I use a Metz 52AF
In reply to dmanthree, 10 months ago

That is good to know thanks.  Is this 52A more powerful than the Panasonic model?

dmanthree
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,435Gear list
Like?

Digital Parasite wrote:

That is good to know thanks. Is this 52A more powerful than the Panasonic model?

I believe it is. That aside, I've shot it up to 50' with nice results. I also like the power for bouncing with a StoFen diffuser. There is a more powerful model, as well, beyond the 52AF.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
Digital Parasite
Like?
In reply to dmanthree, 10 months ago

dmanthree wrote:

I believe it is. That aside, I've shot it up to 50' with nice results. I also like the power for bouncing with a StoFen diffuser. There is a more powerful model, as well, beyond the 52AF.

Great.  Do you usually have your StoFen diffuser on and bounce off of the ceiling?  Or how where do you usually bounce off of?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads