"I am selling my Nikon gear"

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
1drey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,199Gear list
Like?
Who cares?
In reply to John Motts, 10 months ago

And why it should be manifested in public?

-- hide signature --
 1drey's gear list:1drey's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Moti
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,273
Like?
With all due respect...
In reply to bigpigbig, 10 months ago

bigpigbig wrote:

...Unless you are strapped for cash and REALLY can only afford to keep one system, why would you give up all the opportunities lost by shooting a mirrorless camera only?

I am not sure about you but I can not think of any opportunity lost by shooting a mirrorless camera only. I am a professional stage and musical events photographers and have switched to mirrorless system from pro FF, about 9 month ago (OMD) and believe me, there is nothing that I can do better with my FF gear, except for some extreme low light situations for which I would prefer to use a Fuji XE-2 to close the gap.

I looked at your list and as I said, there is nothing there that I can't accomplish with my mirrorless gear. Of course YMMV, but I have a slight suspicion, that like in many similar cases I encounter in these forums, some more knowledge, training, skills and experience would help much more than the investment in an expensive system.

Cheers

Moti

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: With all due respect...
In reply to Moti, 10 months ago

Moti wrote:

I am not sure about you but I can not think of any opportunity lost by shooting a mirrorless camera only. I am a professional stage and musical events photographers and have switched to mirrorless system from pro FF, about 9 month ago (OMD) and believe me, there is nothing that I can do better with my FF gear, except for some extreme low light situations for which I would prefer to use a Fuji XE-2 to close the gap.

I looked at your list and as I said, there is nothing there that I can't accomplish with my mirrorless gear. Of course YMMV, but I have a slight suspicion, that like in many similar cases I encounter in these forums, some more knowledge, training, skills and experience would help much more than the investment in an expensive system.

Cheers

Moti

-- hide signature --

When people give advice such as yours they really need to be able to back it up, having looked over your website I would say that your photographs would be much improved by a camera with better high ISO performance and faster focusing.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bigpigbig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,561Gear list
Like?
Re: With all due respect...
In reply to Moti, 10 months ago

Moti wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

...Unless you are strapped for cash and REALLY can only afford to keep one system, why would you give up all the opportunities lost by shooting a mirrorless camera only?

I am not sure about you but I can not think of any opportunity lost by shooting a mirrorless camera only. I am a professional stage and musical events photographers and have switched to mirrorless system from pro FF, about 9 month ago (OMD) and believe me, there is nothing that I can do better with my FF gear, except for some extreme low light situations for which I would prefer to use a Fuji XE-2 to close the gap.

I looked at your list and as I said, there is nothing there that I can't accomplish with my mirrorless gear. Of course YMMV, but I have a slight suspicion, that like in many similar cases I encounter in these forums, some more knowledge, training, skills and experience would help much more than the investment in an expensive system.

Cheers

Moti

-- hide signature --

"some more knowledge, training, skills and experience would help much more than the investment in an expensive system."

I am a photography teacher by profession. I shoot every day all day with everything from an iPhone to an 8x10 view camera. I work in the darkroom, Lightroom and feel like I know what I am doing when I print. I have a large format printer and I print often and BIG. I know well, and teach the history of photography, art and composition, visual literacy and a plethora of photographic techniques for pinhole photography to large format camera movements.

I also learn something new every day. That is what I like most about photography. It is beautifully complex and creative possibilities are endless. While I agree that knowledge and experience is MORE important than expensive equipment, better equipment CAN create better images. I can captue great images with my iPhone, but I would probably wish I would have shot them with better equipment.

"there is nothing that I can do better with my FF gear"

I think it might be you who needs "some more knowledge, training, skills and experience". (Remember, these were your words to me, you shouldn't be offended to hear them directed back at you)

I can make images with my D800e that can not be made (consistently, as easily, or at all) with my Fuji.

For stage and musical events, I would agree, a mirrorless camera would be fine for you.

But, what is a fact, that people find hard to admit, is that mirrorless cameras have advantages AND disadvantages. Just as DSLRs have advantages AND disadvantages.

Can I shoot with my D800e and get better results? Yes, MOST of the time. I can't think of a single situation where a Fuji would be more capable of capturing BETTER images than the D800e. People will say, correctly, that the best camera is the one you have with you and therefore a small mirrorless is better. Well...OK. But this is a choice.

The advantages of the Fuji XE-1 (that is what I own along with 3 primes 14,23,35 and 2 zooms) are its light weight, EVF for focus check (peek or zoom) and great OOC jpgs.

The image quality is NOT as good. Is it good enough? Most of the time, absolutely! But it is not as good. If someone wants the absolute best image quality in a 35mm sensor on the market, it is the D800e. (or D4 for high ISO) Is this extra quality meaningful? To me it is. I print big. I shoot in low light. I like to make different compositions by cropping when I can't zoom (shooting with primes) or move closer.

The AF system is NOT as good. Tracking is basically non-existent (birds in flight, sports, theater dance performances)

The dynamic range is NOT as good. It is very good, but not as good.

The Fuji is NOT weatherproof. No problem as long as it is not raining or you don't get caught out in the rain.

The strobe capabilities are not even in the same galaxy as Nikon flash systems.

The resolution of the D800 is more than double which makes for much more flexibility in cropping for prints.

I hope you have gotten this far in reading, because now I will explain why I even have an XE-1.

The XE-1 is the best compact camera in terms of image quality I have ever used. I shot a 5D MKII with L lenses for years and the XE-1 is just as good or better in terms of image quality. I finally found a compact camera, that could produce gallery quality large prints.

I finally feel liberated when I go out shooting with the XE-1. My shoulders don't ache at the end of the day. I don't have to set a big heavy bag down, unzip it and get a camera out. I am happy holding it in my hand for long periods of time.

It has very very accurate auto focus. AF-S.

It has amazing lenses both primes and zooms.

When used with good technique, it produces prints as big as A3 that can match even the mighty D800e.

I can work around most of its limitations. It means working slower, and most of the time, I am not in a hurry.

For 90% of what I shoot, it is good enough.

BUT, "good enough" FOR ME, is not ALWAYS good enough. I want the option of having THE BEST.

I already own the Nikon lenses (which I can use on the XE-1 as well). I bought the D800e more than a year ago. It costs me nothing extra to keep it for those times when I really need (or want) it.

I have nothing against those for whom "good enough" is good enough. Good for you. But to think that those who keep their DSLR are somehow mislead is just being misinformed.

If your tack hammer is doing fine building your bird houses, good for you. But sometimes, I like to build tree houses and need a bigger hammer.

 bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Caerolle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,298Gear list
Like?
Re: With all due respect...
In reply to bigpigbig, 10 months ago

I fee you make a lot of sense here.

However, I do feel the best approach for dealing with bear attacks is to t take a slower, clumsier person with you when you go in the woods (hard for me, I don't think anyone is as slow and clumsy as I am!).

 Caerolle's gear list:Caerolle's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bigpigbig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,561Gear list
Like?
Re: With all due respect...
In reply to Caerolle, 10 months ago

Caerolle wrote:

I fee you make a lot of sense here.

However, I do feel the best approach for dealing with bear attacks is to t take a slower, clumsier person with you when you go in the woods (hard for me, I don't think anyone is as slow and clumsy as I am!).

Good idea. I hadn't though of that. I will look at photo partners differently in the future.

("I could out run this guy, I should invite him out for a shoot")

 bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Caerolle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,298Gear list
Like?
Re: With all due respect...
In reply to bigpigbig, 10 months ago

Or bang him in the knee with your D800. Beats throwing it at the bear!  

 Caerolle's gear list:Caerolle's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,886Gear list
Like?
I have sold my 5D2 plus 5 lenses - N/T
In reply to bigpigbig, 10 months ago
-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

 baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bigpigbig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,561Gear list
Like?
Re: I have sold my 5D2 plus 5 lenses
In reply to baobob, 10 months ago

You might miss that 100mm 2.8 IS macro.

At present, Fuji has nothing that can match it for handheld close ups / macro.

Though, the Fuji IQ is quite a bit better across the board from the 5D MKII.

 bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,886Gear list
Like?
Re: I have sold my 5D2 plus 5 lenses
In reply to bigpigbig, 10 months ago

There is the theory then the field experience

I spent 1100€  to buy at its launch the 100mm 2.8 L IS macro yes superb lens

But at the end of the day I get much beter and easier results woth the XP1 fitted with my old tamron 90mm 2.5 macro (with /without its ext tube) handheld for a lot of reasons

Macro is better done in MF and the EVF + magnifier + FP makes it easier

The global combo is smaller and lighter does not vibrate

In terms of IQ the res is about on par and colors contrast DR are much better with the XP1

And the AF of the 5D2 is rather poor with long tele at f 5.6 except with brilliant sun

I can also carry all the gear more easily (thus more often)

All in all, no regrets, the 5D had been my best camera during 3 years. Things have changed for me and for my photography I find the Fuji gear much more adapted thus better

"De gustibus non est disputendum" 

Cheers

Bob

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

 baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bigpigbig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,561Gear list
Like?
Re: I have sold my 5D2 plus 5 lenses
In reply to baobob, 10 months ago

baobob wrote:

There is the theory then the field experience

I spent 1100€ to buy at its launch the 100mm 2.8 L IS macro yes superb lens

But at the end of the day I get much beter and easier results woth the XP1 fitted with my old tamron 90mm 2.5 macro (with /without its ext tube) handheld for a lot of reasons

Macro is better done in MF and the EVF + magnifier + FP makes it easier

The global combo is smaller and lighter does not vibrate

In terms of IQ the res is about on par and colors contrast DR are much better with the XP1

And the AF of the 5D2 is rather poor with long tele at f 5.6 except with brilliant sun

I can also carry all the gear more easily (thus more often)

All in all, no regrets, the 5D had been my best camera during 3 years. Things have changed for me and for my photography I find the Fuji gear much more adapted thus better

"De gustibus non est disputendum"

Cheers

Bob

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

For me, under controlled situations with a tripod, the Fuji for macro has been great with an adapter and Nikon 180mm macro.

But moving around with less than ideal light, I really like the IS (VR) to calm my hands.

The possibility of using adapters with the Fuji makes the lens choices almost endless!

I would really like to try a shift adapter. I wish they made on for G lenses (with aperture control). I dream of sticking the 14-24 on a shift adapter on the fuji and having a 14mm shift lens.

 bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dave Luttmann
Forum ProPosts: 12,586Gear list
Like?
Re: With all due respect...
In reply to bigpigbig, 10 months ago

Do you have a site to see your work?

 Dave Luttmann's gear list:Dave Luttmann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dave Luttmann
Forum ProPosts: 12,586Gear list
Like?
Re: Who cares?
In reply to 1drey, 10 months ago

1drey wrote:

And why it should be manifested in public?

-- hide signature --

Who cares?  They have an opinion....just like you.  Their's appears less arrogant than yours

 Dave Luttmann's gear list:Dave Luttmann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,886Gear list
Like?
Re: I have sold my 5D2 plus 5 lenses
In reply to bigpigbig, 10 months ago

I have the TS Kipon adapter for Nikon mount

I bought an old 17mm Tokina lens with Nikon mount to go with it

I have mainly for the moment learnt how to play with the plane of focus I posted some sample quite many weeks ago. I have not yet used the shift capacity

bear in mind that the sensor is small so the shift capacity is limited

But the tilt ability can be spectacular I have to parctice really much more and I'll do that by next year when I'll be .... free like the air (65+)

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

 baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bigpigbig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,561Gear list
Like?
Re: With all due respect...
In reply to Dave Luttmann, 10 months ago

Dave Luttmann wrote:

Do you have a site to see your work?

I have a fun, personal space at Flickr with some good stuff and some average stuff for sharing with family.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photography_by_basil/

 bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bigpigbig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,561Gear list
Like?
Re: I have sold my 5D2 plus 5 lenses
In reply to baobob, 10 months ago

baobob wrote:

I have the TS Kipon adapter for Nikon mount

I bought an old 17mm Tokina lens with Nikon mount to go with it

I have mainly for the moment learnt how to play with the plane of focus I posted some sample quite many weeks ago. I have not yet used the shift capacity

bear in mind that the sensor is small so the shift capacity is limited

But the tilt ability can be spectacular I have to parctice really much more and I'll do that by next year when I'll be .... free like the air (65+)

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

I think you have it wrong. 10mm of shift on a smaller sensor is much more significant than 10mm of shift on a FF camera. It is great for keep verticals parallel and shifting the horizon out of the middle of the frame.

I need to try one of those

 bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,886Gear list
Like?
Re: With all due respect...
In reply to bigpigbig, 10 months ago

Exc ellent point betwwen the best compact XE1 and the best DSLR D800, IMHO

You draw with precision the frontier

It's clear that the 5D2 was not good enough given size weight noise cost

The big limitation of APSc sensor is the incapacity to print big For me A3+ or A2 is the max and the xP1 does it (in laser print for A3+ even with crop)) without problem

I would have kept the Canon gear if canon would have launched a similar EOS to D800 It's dramatic to notice that the 5D is around the price of D800

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

 baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dave Luttmann
Forum ProPosts: 12,586Gear list
Like?
Re: With all due respect...
In reply to bigpigbig, 10 months ago

bigpigbig wrote:

Dave Luttmann wrote:

Do you have a site to see your work?

I have a fun, personal space at Flickr with some good stuff and some average stuff for sharing with family.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photography_by_basil/

Cool.  love the stuff out of Asia.  Your 8x10 comment caught my eye as I'm a 4x5 shooter as well.

 Dave Luttmann's gear list:Dave Luttmann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bigpigbig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,561Gear list
Like?
Re: With all due respect...
In reply to Dave Luttmann, 10 months ago

Dave Luttmann wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

Dave Luttmann wrote:

Do you have a site to see your work?

I have a fun, personal space at Flickr with some good stuff and some average stuff for sharing with family.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photography_by_basil/

Cool. love the stuff out of Asia. Your 8x10 comment caught my eye as I'm a 4x5 shooter as well.

There are a few 4x5 and 6x12 scans in there from Angkor Wat and Ayuthaya.. I took a Speed Graphic and put a horseman 6x12 back on it for fun. I also have a 4x5 point and shoot with a 47mm Schneider mounted in a helicoid that is pretty spectacular as well. There are some shots of a jewelry studio in the Flickr galleries that were shot with it. I am fortunate enough to have access to development of B&W film at work.I haven't found a good way to scan my 8x10s yet.

 bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kevin Patrick
Regular MemberPosts: 172Gear list
Like?
Re: "I am selling my Nikon gear"
In reply to bigpigbig, 10 months ago

I noticed your comment regarding having an infrared converted X-E1. Can you comment on which Fuji lenses you have used on that camera and how they have performed - hotspots in particular. I currently have a converted G5 but am considering purchasing the X-E2 and having my X-E1 converted to full spectrum IR. I would prefer to have a single system and set of lenses. I have only heard positive remarks regarding the X-E1 conversion performance. Hopefully the upcoming 10-24mm will be workable with IR as well. Thanks.

Kevin

 Kevin Patrick's gear list:Kevin Patrick's gear list
Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads