"I am selling my Nikon gear"

Started Nov 10, 2013 | Discussions
bigpigbig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,681Gear list
Like?
"I am selling my Nikon gear"
Nov 10, 2013

I have read this on many occasions. Most recently on FR main page.

I don't get it.

Unless you are strapped for cash and REALLY can only afford to keep one system, why would you give up all the opportunities lost by shooting a mirrorless camera only?

While I find myself more and more grabbing the Fuji, there are still situations that it comes no where near my D800e.

For examples:

1) I just shot a dance performance in a theater. I shot a 70-200 f2.8 with VR at 1/400, f2.8, ISO1600 in AF-C 3D tracking for focus. It was dark and the AF system was near instantaneous and capable of tracking for continuous shots. The Fuji system has no lens or camera even close to being capable of this.

2) I shot a focus bracketed macro set of some watches tethered to a computer with live view and remote control.

3) I used the SB900 flashes set up in two groups and controlled them (power and ratio) all from the camera as well as getting excellent results from them in TTL auto mode.

4) I had my Fuji at a waterfall and couldn't get the shot my friend who had a weatherproofed 5D MKII got.

5) I often find myself cropping a 6mp image and printing an 8x10 from very small details in the original shot.

6) A bear was chasing me and I threw the D800e and 200 f2 at it to scare it off. The camera was better off than the bear.

In any case, as much as I love the Fuji XE-1 (and will love the XE-2 even more) it is NOT a replacement for a DSLR in every case.

Though, I do smile every time when I pick up my backpack with two XE-1's (one infrared) and 5 lenses, filters, cleaning tools, small tripod, etc and it weighs less than the D800e with grip and 200 f2.

bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Gooutside
Regular MemberPosts: 113Gear list
Like?
Re: "I am selling my Nikon gear"
In reply to bigpigbig, Nov 10, 2013

I think a lot of amateur photographers, myself included only want to have one system.  It simply feels wasteful to have two.

Gooutside's gear list:Gooutside's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Sony SLT-A65 Sony SLT-A99
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
carlk
Forum ProPosts: 15,921Gear list
Like?

I can afford to have more than one system but I can't afford to carry more than one system at a time.  What system I carry the most and what system I rarely or never carry has to be figured in.  I'm still keeping my D800E but am seriously considering getting rid of it.  I'll still keep my Canon 7D for birding outing when it will be the main camera I use.

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,385Gear list
Like?

bigpigbig wrote:

I don't get it.

Unless you are strapped for cash and REALLY can only afford to keep one system, why would you give up all the opportunities lost by shooting a mirrorless camera only?

Simple, at least for myself, I did not give up any opportunities for shooting. Not a guess on my part but a fact. I purchased my XE1 in December 2012, did some comparison tests the next day. Over the next 8 months I never used my Nikons except to take pictures of my Fuji, even went on a trip in late May with both systems but my Nikon never left my bag. I slowly sold off little used Nikon lenses and by August sold off everything Nikon related.

Bottom line for me, in 8 months of having both I never used my Nikon so I sold it off to people that would put it to good use. I did give up shooting wildlife with my Fuji but I had not been a wildlife shoot in several years so it was not missed.

As for a D800 super camera, I never needed more than 12mp and 16 is plenty to make prints (16 x 24) larger than my printer can handle (13 x 19).

So it was a no brainer to finance my Fuji system by selling off my Nikon...

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

They do it because it works for them. I think its a as simple as that.

We all do different things, in different ways, with different needs

RhysM
Senior MemberPosts: 1,893
Like?

The opposite was true my nikon gear was a burden to carry and use it caused me to miss opportunities.

I never shot anything so fast paced that my Fuji couldn't handle even when I had my D700.

The £3000 my gear brought me on the second hand market was far more appealing than letting it gather dust until its value plummeted.

fluxism
Regular MemberPosts: 392
Like?

in theory, I agree with you, but after a year and a half passed without using any of my expensive nikon lenses, it just felt too wasteful keeping them around

mjl699
Regular MemberPosts: 309Gear list
Like?

bigpigbig wrote:

I don't get it.

While I find myself more and more grabbing the Fuji, there are still situations that it comes no where near my D800e.

For examples:

1) I just shot a dance performance in a theater. I shot a 70-200 f2.8 with VR at 1/400, f2.8, ISO1600 in AF-C 3D tracking for focus. It was dark and the AF system was near instantaneous and capable of tracking for continuous shots. The Fuji system has no lens or camera even close to being capable of this.

2) I shot a focus bracketed macro set of some watches tethered to a computer with live view and remote control.

3) I used the SB900 flashes set up in two groups and controlled them (power and ratio) all from the camera as well as getting excellent results from them in TTL auto mode.

4) I had my Fuji at a waterfall and couldn't get the shot my friend who had a weatherproofed 5D MKII got.

5) I often find myself cropping a 6mp image and printing an 8x10 from very small details in the original shot.

6) A bear was chasing me and I threw the D800e and 200 f2 at it to scare it off. The camera was better off than the bear.

In any case, as much as I love the Fuji XE-1 (and will love the XE-2 even more) it is NOT a replacement for a DSLR in every case.

Though, I do smile every time when I pick up my backpack with two XE-1's (one infrared) and 5 lenses, filters, cleaning tools, small tripod, etc and it weighs less than the D800e with grip and 200 f2.

Very nicely and humorously put. I retain an older Canon film SLR and a Canon DSLR but I don't use them any more. I really should sell them. But I do worry about being chased by bears, and next time it happens I am planning on throwing my Canon EOS 3 with battery grip at my pursuer(s). Weighs a damn ton.

-- hide signature --

mjl599

mjl699's gear list:mjl699's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
bigpigbig
Like?
In reply to fluxism, Nov 10, 2013

My iPad does most of what I need to do as well, but I won't be getting rid of my 17" MBP either.

Yes, it is lighter. Yes, it does 90% of what I need to do with a camera, but I just know I'd regret the 10% of the time I would miss the shots without it.

I am not trying to convince anyone of anything, just stating my position and wondering where everyone else is on it.

Thanks for the replies.

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
nouphotography
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
In reply to fluxism, Nov 10, 2013

I dont have the intention to throw my camera at a bear, so I wont need a nikon

But seriously, it's expensive to keep two system if you buy all the focal lens for both.

For myself, I only keep the nikon for the longer range that my fuji can't cover.

I got a 14,23,35mm on fuji and 58,85,70-200mm on nikon.

Fuji need to come out with a 55-200mm F2.8 to make me sell the nikon.

I sold all my nikon lower focal range to buy fuji 14 and 23mm.

liquid stereo
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,110Gear list
Like?
Different needs as you say

bigpigbig wrote:

I don't get it.

For examples:

I wouldn't get rid of my DSLR only because of its superior AF performance. I also rent L lenses on the weekend to meet my desires.

That being said, my DSLR gets such little use that I think of selling it every now and again.

liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
The Davinator
Forum ProPosts: 13,376Gear list
Like?
Why?

Why? Because many of us looked at what we use our gear for, and realize that the Fuji X system more than meets those needs. For me, I got rid of my D700 and D800. I still have my D2x....but it doesn't often see the light of day. What did I gain from switching to Fuji? Well, the files straight out of the Fuji are for the most part perfect. For me photographing a wedding, engagement session, portrait session, etc.....it meant far, far less time in post when compared to Canon and Nikon. And the color was better virtually better all the time.

Resolution? For what I do, the 16mp is more than enough. If I'm planning on large landscape work, I'll either stitch the Fuji files, or more often just use my 4x5 gear for film or now wet plate.

it is all about understanding what your real needs are as opposed to always having to have the best....when the best doesn't change your work in the least.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
carlk
Forum ProPosts: 15,921Gear list
Like?
In reply to RhysM, Nov 10, 2013

RhysM wrote:

The opposite was true my nikon gear was a burden to carry and use it caused me to miss opportunities.

I got exactly the same feeling as you do.  So many times I'm reluctant to take the big dslr out of the trunk or even the camera bag.  I shoot much more when the camera with me is the X-E1.

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
bigpigbig
Like?
In reply to nouphotography, Nov 10, 2013

nouphotography wrote:

I dont have the intention to throw my camera at a bear, so I wont need a nikon

But seriously, it's expensive to keep two system if you buy all the focal lens for both.

For myself, I only keep the nikon for the longer range that my fuji can't cover.

I got a 14,23,35mm on fuji and 58,85,70-200mm on nikon.

Fuji need to come out with a 55-200mm F2.8 to make me sell the nikon.

I sold all my nikon lower focal range to buy fuji 14 and 23mm.

That sounds reasonable.

I have the 14-24 and 24-70. Man, they would be hard to part with! They probably get the least use though. That is Fuji territory for sure.

vkphoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,627
Like?
Actually Nikon DSLRs attract bears
In reply to mjl699, Nov 10, 2013
bigpigbig
Like?

Would anyone care to address how they would deal with the 5 situations I listed? These are some of the things I do that keep me from parting with my D800e.

The Fuji has been life changing! The 14, 23, and 35 are world class. The JPGs are phenomenal! The light weight is SO welcomed. But it doesn't do everything well.

Does anyone shoot action in dark places?

Does anyone shoot in bad weather?

Does anyone shoot tethered?

Does anyone use flash systems?

Does anyone find they'd like a bit more reach by cropping?

Does anyone ever get chased by bears?

The Fuji has opened up many new opportunities for capturing images that I never would have with my D800e (hiking, daily commuting, etc) I have it with my all the time.

bigpigbig
Like?
Re: Actually Nikon DSLRs attract bears
In reply to vkphoto, Nov 10, 2013

Awesome!

vkphoto wrote:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/05/the-damage-waiver-bearly-covered-this-one

safer to carry Fuji

vkphoto

-- hide signature --
1drey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,298Gear list
Like?
Re: Actually Nikon DSLRs attract bears
In reply to vkphoto, Nov 10, 2013

With lighter gear (=Fuji) you can run faster, no need to throw at the bear.

On the other hand a piece of Nikon gear can be used to attract bear - great opportunity to make a good shot of bear.

-- hide signature --
 1drey's gear list:1drey's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +2 more
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,385Gear list
Like?

bigpigbig wrote:

Would anyone care to address how they would deal with the 5 situations I listed? Does

anyone shoot action in dark places?

Does anyone shoot in bad weather?

Does anyone shoot tethered?

Does anyone use flash systems?

Does anyone find they'd like a bit more reach by cropping?

Does anyone ever get chased by bears?

I think your premise here is a bit flawed. You are essentially asking if a Fuji can competently handle the above, to determine if a Canikon is still needed.

I think the conditions are personal, those are your conditions/criteria for shooting. The better question is for each person to understand their needs and wants, then determine what system best fits. For those of us that sold off their DSLR's (often over time due to total lack of use after the Fuji experience) and did not look back, our needs were met, often with joy. Many Fuji new fuji users have stated how photography became fun again! So aside from an analytical criteria, it is the subjective experience, size, weight, fun, that are subjective. And let's face it, photography is art and art is subjective.

If I shot in bad weather, needed to track fast moving subjects, liked to carry something that commanded respect, could objectively justify the need for more pixels.... I would not be reading this thread since I would not be a Fuji user. I prefer one system

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Chris G Hughes
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, Nov 10, 2013

Pretty simple: different photographers, different approaches. I have a full Nikon system. I've never sold a single lens, speed light or body. I hand my older bodies down to friends and family. I keep my glass. I'd never abandon a built up system unless I was literally starving to death.

But that's me. I'm not everyone.

Chris G Hughes's gear list:Chris G Hughes's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads