Nikon DF, Why is the price so high?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
RichRMA
Contributing MemberPosts: 763Gear list
Like?
Because the D600 body is a weak shell immitation of the D700, D800 even the D300?
In reply to jY h, 9 months ago

The D600 is a cost-cutting initiative by Nikon.  It's like a 60's muscle car, all muscle in a plain wrapper.  That the new retro costs so much more is no surprise.

RichRMA's gear list:RichRMA's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Pentax K-01 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hulamike
Senior MemberPosts: 2,810
Like?
Re: Econ 101
In reply to lolopasstrail, 9 months ago

This camera is not a linear progression forward in technology like those you mentioned are. In fact, certain features that are now taken for granted (video, popup flash, hand grip) are noticeably absent. This is a retro niche camera with a D4 sensor and limited appeal and so i think Nikon is gambling a little and hedging its bet with a high price point. And lets face it, they also know the intended market has a lot of discretionary income for something like is. Its not aimed at younger hobbyists as much as retired photographers who grew up in film. Many Boomers have the resources to buy on whim and aren't scared off by price. Nikon also knows this.

intruder61
Senior MemberPosts: 2,583Gear list
Like?
AIS lenses on the up.
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, 9 months ago

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Digressing prices of pre second hand AIS lenses are not that high - yet

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge as to how to get the best out of modern and often complex camera equipment.

i have noticed they are on the way up.

dwight3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,803Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon DF, Why is the price so high?

The price is high because it's a new "stylish" thing out there. Fashion is expensive. Also, if they don't sell well, there's probably room for special sales and still making some ROI.

dwight3's gear list:dwight3's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S52c Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +9 more
adhall
Regular MemberPosts: 274Gear list
Like?
Re: Because the D600 body is a weak shell immitation of the D700, D800 even the D300?
In reply to RichRMA, 9 months ago

RichRMA wrote:

The D600 is a cost-cutting initiative by Nikon. It's like a 60's muscle car, all muscle in a plain wrapper. That the new retro costs so much more is no surprise.

But structurally, the D600 and the Df are the same... plastic with mag alloy plated around the outside... Bigger difference is that the manufacture cost in Japan is much greater than in Thailand (where the D600 is made).

So as far as I can see, the factors influencing the price difference are:

1. Manufacture cost in Japan vs Thailand

2. Additional cost for metal dials and associated switching (but honestly, that is pretty minimal)

3. Potentially higher cost of D4 sensor (again, a relatively small difference).

4. Extra premium on the Df to maximize prophet on early sales (not minimal).

[Note: I think development costs for the Df would have been similar to the development costs of the D600]

adhall's gear list:adhall's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
kevingm
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?
Re: Financials & Corporate Greed
In reply to Alpha Tech, 9 months ago

Well, I think that supply and demand is how they do business. I don't know of many companies that set prices according to what customers want to pay. This has the same sensor as a $6,000 camera at less than half the price, so I suspect that a lot of photographers will find that appealing.

kevingm
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?
In reply to BillyInya, 9 months ago

I don't know why people think that the specs on this camera are somehow below state of the art. It's the same sensor as Nikon's top professional camera, the D4. The D800/D800E are great cameras, as well, but 36 MP does not trump 16 MP for all purposes. The D4/Df sensor may be the best high ISO sensor available, and the Df is less than half the price of the D4, and in a much smaller and lighter body. The camera may have been designed to appeal to older, former film photographers, but that is not its only appeal.

ApertureAcolyte
Contributing MemberPosts: 870Gear list
Like?
To exploit the suckas (nt)

jY h wrote:

Hello, I'm the very happy owner of a Nikon D600 and have no plans of buying a new camera. However, the Nikon DF did catch My eye. I love the retro styling. Why is the price of this camera so high? Its sensor has lower resolution than the D600, it has no video capability, and no built in flash. Why would someone pay several hundred dollars more than a D600/610 and get less capability? I suppose it all due to the styling? Am I missing something?

ApertureAcolyte's gear list:ApertureAcolyte's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Apollo18
Senior MemberPosts: 1,220Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hulamike, 9 months ago

Hulamike wrote:

Basic market pressure works like this. If your new product has limited appeal, you must charge more for it to cover R&D and generate a profit. Fewer sales x higher price = profitability.

If your product has mass appeal, you can charge a lower price to generate a profit because youll make it up in volume.

Econ 101 like I said.

Sorry, I think this does not make sense, as it assumes that customers are willing to pay the higher price without a drop in sales. It has nothing at all to do with r&d costs, which customer care nothing for.

As I, and others here have suggested, I think the fact that the target market are willing to pay this highly inflated price is the real reason why the price is set high.

Not so basic, I'm afraid.

Apollo18's gear list:Apollo18's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III +4 more
joeyv
Contributing MemberPosts: 553Gear list
Like?
Re: Because it uses some parts that are exclusive for the Df only
In reply to ApertureAcolyte, 9 months ago

D600 is relatively cheap because it shares common parts with other Nikon cameras. Mass production is cost effective.

Df has parts made exclusively for Df. Also, D4 sensor is not really a mass market item.

-- hide signature --

joeyv

brony etr
Forum MemberPosts: 80
Like?
having the sensor from nikons flagship camera is a large part of the reason

jY h wrote:

Hello, I'm the very happy owner of a Nikon D600 and have no plans of buying a new camera. However, the Nikon DF did catch My eye. I love the retro styling. Why is the price of this camera so high? Its sensor has lower resolution than the D600, it has no video capability, and no built in flash. Why would someone pay several hundred dollars more than a D600/610 and get less capability? I suppose it all due to the styling? Am I missing something?

having the sensor and processor from nikons current flagship camera (d4) along with the processor is a large part of the reason, also the time/effort/resources required to develop the DF over the last four years

Hulamike
Senior MemberPosts: 2,810
Like?
On Second Thought
In reply to Apollo18, 9 months ago

I can tell you've never been in business for yourself because if you don't believe that Nikon's not watching the bottom line, you're mistaken. Of ourse Nikon must avcount for its R&D costs, any business or company must before they can declare a profit.

turbsy
Contributing MemberPosts: 655Gear list
Like?
In reply to joeyv, 9 months ago

joeyv wrote:

D600 is relatively cheap because it shares common parts with other Nikon cameras. Mass production is cost effective.

Df has parts made exclusively for Df. Also, D4 sensor is not really a mass market item.

-- hide signature --

joeyv

what parts from the D610 are used by other camera bodies?  Almost all the DF is taken from other Nikon bodies.  AF and metering from the D600/D610 and at least the sensor from the D4.

turbsy's gear list:turbsy's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +11 more
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,211Gear list
Like?

Nikon want to market the Dƒ as a bit of a "premium" enthusiast camera. It obviously wouldn't have quite the same cachet if it was made in China or Thailand and sold at the price of the D610, their cheapest current FX DSLR.

They are apparently producing the Dƒ camera in less than a third the numbers they did with the D800 - and much less than the D600/D610 ~ so it is likely they expect it to have relatively small sales.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
CFynn
Like?
In reply to Apollo18, 9 months ago

Apollo18 wrote:

Hulamike wrote:

Basic market pressure works like this. If your new product has limited appeal, you must charge more for it to cover R&D and generate a profit. Fewer sales x higher price = profitability.

If your product has mass appeal, you can charge a lower price to generate a profit because youll make it up in volume.

Econ 101 like I said.

Sorry, I think this does not make sense, as it assumes that customers are willing to pay the higher price without a drop in sales. It has nothing at all to do with r&d costs, which customer care nothing for.

As I, and others here have suggested, I think the fact that the target market are willing to pay this highly inflated price is the real reason why the price is set high.

Not so basic, I'm afraid.

With "luxury" products you can't make the price cheaper than an ordinary product - or it no longer seems like a "luxury" item. They are trying to appeal to older enthusiasts who want to pamper themselves with a very nice camera - but don't need, or want, all the features of a "pro" DSLR.

On specs alone - or if you are looking for the best camera for your buck - the D610 or D800 are far better deals. But that is not what this camera is about.

Who knows, perhaps they also hope to tempt back a few of those old Nikon shooters who once switched to Canon in droves - but still fondly remember their old Nikon SLR.

Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
CFynn
Like?
Re: On Second Thought
In reply to Hulamike, 9 months ago

Hulamike wrote:

I can tell you've never been in business for yourself because if you don't believe that Nikon's not watching the bottom line, you're mistaken. Of ourse Nikon must avcount for its R&D costs, any business or company must before they can declare a profit.

When compact camera dales have fallen off a cliff, and the whole interchangeable lens camera market is shrinking - which it currently is, and Nikon's market share has also been declining - they need to go after every profitable niche they can think of - even ones they may not have considered worthwhile in better times.

The "luxury" market is much more impervious than the regular consumer market is to tough economic times.  In this economic climate I'm only surprised that Nikon didn't make this particular camera even more exclusive and more expensive than they did.

turbsy
Contributing MemberPosts: 655Gear list
Like?
In reply to CFynn, 9 months ago

CFynn wrote:

Nikon want to market the Dƒ as a bit of a "premium" enthusiast camera. It obviously wouldn't have quite the same cachet if it was made in China or Thailand and sold at the price of the D610, their cheapest current FX DSLR.

They are apparently producing the Dƒ camera in less than a third the numbers they did with the D800 - and much less than the D600/D610 ~ so it is likely they expect it to have relatively small sales.

The DF is the first of Nikons new high margin cameras.  All they did was take parts that have already been developed and put them in a body that has a cool factor And now they market it as a purist camera.

turbsy's gear list:turbsy's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +11 more
thomas2279f
Senior MemberPosts: 2,395Gear list
Like?
Re: The UK price is indefensible
In reply to CFynn, 9 months ago

Within 6 months price should be around the D800 mark at the current time £1950 although it the sales do not come through and the Sony sells bucket full, then it may go even further down.

Was expecting like Sony 2 models one a Retro D4 and the other a D800 retro but with modern features added in or not taken away like Video, Wi-fi, NFC, GPS, etc.   seems pricey for what it is.

Wonder whether Nikon will do like what they did with the D600 a DF with Video ?

Hope in 2014 we see a D4 in D800 body and a D400! - hope on this that Canon introduces the 7d MK 2 and put pressure on Nikon to do and bring out a D400¬!

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 +44 more
thomas2279f
Senior MemberPosts: 2,395Gear list
Like?
In reply to turbsy, 9 months ago

Probably a big white Elephant whereas with Sony 2 for a competitive price and features sells bucket loads...

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 +44 more
joeyv
Contributing MemberPosts: 553Gear list
Like?
In reply to turbsy, 9 months ago

turbsy wrote:

what parts from the D610 are used by other camera bodies? Almost all the DF is taken from other Nikon bodies. AF and metering from the D600/D610 and at least the sensor from the D4.

The body design of the df is completely new. Materials for which are not shared with other Nikon bodies. Leather-tone finish, metal dials. Exclusive Df stuff. Producing those in small quantities should cost more. Assembly time should be a bit longer with the Df also.

Yes, the retro look definitely adds cost to the Df.

-- hide signature --

joeyv

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads