Nikon DF, Why is the price so high?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
jY h
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
Nikon DF, Why is the price so high?
11 months ago

Hello,  I'm the very happy owner of a Nikon D600 and have no plans of buying a new camera. However, the Nikon DF did catch My eye.  I love the retro styling.  Why is the price of this camera so high?  Its sensor has lower resolution than the D600,  it has no video capability, and no built in flash. Why would someone pay several hundred dollars more than a D600/610 and get less capability? I suppose it all due to the styling?  Am I missing something?

Nikon D600 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ThePassionateEye
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
Re: Nikon DF, Why is the price so high?
In reply to jY h, 11 months ago

jY h wrote:

Hello, I'm the very happy owner of a Nikon D600 and have no plans of buying a new camera. However, the Nikon DF did catch My eye. I love the retro styling. Why is the price of this camera so high? Its sensor has lower resolution than the D600, it has no video capability, and no built in flash. Why would someone pay several hundred dollars more than a D600/610 and get less capability? I suppose it all due to the styling? Am I missing something?

Probably because it has a D4 sensor and most likely, but not exclusively, it will appeal to the more established individuals (retro nostalgia)  who most likely have more disposable income to part with.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 2,152Gear list
Like?
Capitalism meets supply & demand etc. same old story ...

jY h wrote:

Hello, I'm the very happy owner of a Nikon D600 and have no plans of buying a new camera. However, the Nikon DF did catch My eye. I love the retro styling. Why is the price of this camera so high? Its sensor has lower resolution than the D600, it has no video capability, and no built in flash. Why would someone pay several hundred dollars more than a D600/610 and get less capability? I suppose it all due to the styling? Am I missing something?

There is money being charged for the intellectual property, research & development costs, since this camera is only partially built on a previous model. There typically is a lot of trial and error around the design of an essentially new product.

You might have read Reuters on Nikons annual result having gone down by 41% the other day? I guess they are trying new/old waters here too and see what they can charge for it. Like a better quality Leica/Fuji/Oly retro, the realy Monty this time ...

Or were you just kidding??

Cheers

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
optic67
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
made in japan
In reply to deednets, 11 months ago

the fact that the camera is made in japan may also add  an extra premium, i hope there are no quality control issues with this model , there does not appear to be any real hands on user reports either , I've put my name on a waiting list , will be interesting when i get the call its in

optic67's gear list:optic67's gear list
Nikon Df
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 23,434Gear list
Like?
Possible reasons

1. The sensor is from D4, which is made in small numbers, and Nikon has projected almost 100K per year (reported number is 8,000 per month), so much lower than D600/D610.

2. Made in Japan, labor costs certainly higher than in Thailand (D600/D610).

3. Assembling this camera may be a bit more expensive than the typical dslr, even if labor is same (D800, for example).

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Photo Pete
Senior MemberPosts: 1,796
Like?
I don't know but...

.... if the quality control is not better than on the D600 and D800 they will have a disaster on their hands.

The camera is trying to re-kindle the idea of Nikon film camera bullet proof reliability and no-nonsense operation... give it oil spots, AF problems or some other issue that is denied by Nikon and that illusion will be shattered.

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

joeyv
Contributing MemberPosts: 587Gear list
Like?
Re: Possible reasons
In reply to rhlpetrus, 11 months ago

More parts. Dials are all sculpted from metal, engraved with painted markers (numbers). Weather sealing for said dials. Different finish. Leather-toned which is exclusive for the Df. Made in Japan where labor costs are higher than in Thailand. D4 sensor which is not as mass-produced as the D600/D800 sensor. Also (maybe) Nikon did something different with the viewfinder or the prism. We will have to wait and see about that. Fewer unit sales expected as the Df is not really a "line" camera.

On the other hand, Df has no pop-up flash and other video related hardware.

Go figure.

-- hide signature --

joeyv

jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,116
Like?

jY h wrote:

It is priced more either because it costs more to make (than a D610) or because Nikon thinks that the market for a camera like this will pay more or a combination of the two.  I would not be surprised if this D4 sensor costs more to make than the sensor in the D610.

In general, resolution has nothing to do with pricing (look at the $6000 D4). Video must have been removed purely as a statement about who this camera is marketed to. Removing it saves a tiny amount of cost (a button and a microphone), but that's fairly immaterial in this price range. I don't really know why it has no built-in flash. i would guess that it has something to do with the styling look they wanted to achieve or something related to the type of viewfinder they wanted to use.

As to why someone would pay more than a D610 for this camera, it would be a buyer that is either buying based on style/controls or one who wants the 16MP D4 sensor and its performance characteristics as those are the two defining characteristics of the camera. Time will tell if there are other major differences. The Df is also slightly smaller and lighter than the D610, though the weight is only 2oz different.

-- hide signature --
larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,363Gear list
Like?

Being that it is made in Japan and having the d4 sensor which will cost more to produce and the body style is totally different are some of the reasons for a higher cost.  By the way more mega pixels in a sensor does not automatically make it better.

Larry

user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,755Gear list
Like?

Many have stated excellent reasons of the price point.  But there may be a more important reason...

In addition to those excellent reasons Nikon also needs to fit a specific slot in their DSLR lineup that complements the whole line rather than takes sales away from existing products. So both the feature set and price of the new camera must be considered carefully in that wider context.

Slotting the Df between the D610 and the D800 is tricky because there isn't a lot of price and feature wiggle room between the two cameras. If the Df is below the D610 it would easily rob D610 sales (not what you want to do after a re-release of the D610). Higher than the D800 would pump up D800 sales, but would kill the Df sales as there is not enough value added to the Df to support that price point.

The Df versus D610/D800 feature issue is mitigated by the unique retro theme to a good degree and the Df price point is targeted midway between the D610 and D800 (or will be after the initial rush by first adopters subside and the Df price gets normalized).

That is about the only place the Df can reside unless Nikon pulls either the D610 or the D800 from their line, which would be ridiculous as they are generating good revenue streams right now.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
IanYorke
Regular MemberPosts: 115Gear list
Like?
In reply to user_name, 11 months ago

user_name wrote:

Many have stated excellent reasons of the price point. But there may be a more important reason...

In addition to those excellent reasons Nikon also needs to fit a specific slot in their DSLR lineup that complements the whole line rather than takes sales away from existing products. So both the feature set and price of the new camera must be considered carefully in that wider context.

Slotting the Df between the D610 and the D800 is tricky because there isn't a lot of price and feature wiggle room between the two cameras. If the Df is below the D610 it would easily rob D610 sales (not what you want to do after a re-release of the D610). Higher than the D800 would pump up D800 sales, but would kill the Df sales as there is not enough value added to the Df to support that price point.

The Df versus D610/D800 feature issue is mitigated by the unique retro theme to a good degree and the Df price point is targeted midway between the D610 and D800 (or will be after the initial rush by first adopters subside and the Df price gets normalized).

That is about the only place the Df can reside unless Nikon pulls either the D610 or the D800 from their line, which would be ridiculous as they are generating good revenue streams right now.

Price is determined by how much the gullible customer will pay.  Here is relative price in UK:

D610  - £1,600

D800  - £1,800 (after cash back)

Df   -  £2,750 (with 50mm - no body only)

So £950 more than a D800 people have to decide if that is a good deal?

user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,755Gear list
Like?
In reply to IanYorke, 11 months ago

I remember the UK pricing was also out of line when the D800 was released.

Nikon is simply getting the early adopters to pay as much as possible, then when sales go flat adjust the price.

When I was a kid working for a retail store the owner told me, "If the customer isn't complaining about the price - you are not charging enough!"

Although it seems callous, there is wisdom in that remark.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
Liviu Namolovan
Regular MemberPosts: 453
Like?

Because Nikon has no honor. It is, after all, a seller. Nothing more. Unfortunately. To have the whole picture just look at Fuji's approach regarding their X100 that Fuji is continuing to improve/support. Fuji pays respect to its customers. Nikon is some other kind of a creature, I guess. They are more "pragmatic" and try to get even to the Western world taking civilized's world money no matter what. They never forget WW II. Nikon doesn't bother with concepts like honor and prestige and quality as long as nobody notice. So, what about to be careful and vigilant this time and don't buy the sh1t Nikon is trying to sell to you at a premium price?! Don't let the form fools you. See the essence.

Alpha Tech
Regular MemberPosts: 406Gear list
Like?
Financials & Corporate Greed

The price is high due to company financials and flat out corporate greed. Did you read the recent financial report from Nikon? It was not exactly upbeat. If anything it means a possible continued decline for DSLRs. New models are priced higher so that development can continue with similar life cycle as in the past.

Then there is the second factor -- greed. The new Nikon management does not accept its own mistakes. It passes them on to the customers. The loss on all the D600 cameras and the redesign of a new model had to be paid for. Nikon is dumping the cost on the group most willing to pay for it, the Df customers. If they had simply priced the D610 higher than the D600, sales would have had too much decline worldwide. The end result is Df customers get screwed for Nikon's mistakes.

Alpha Tech's gear list:Alpha Tech's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition
turbsy
Contributing MemberPosts: 683Gear list
Like?
In reply to Liviu Namolovan, 11 months ago

Liviu Namolovan wrote:

Because Nikon has no honor. It is, after all, a seller. Nothing more. Unfortunately. To have the whole picture just look at Fuji's approach regarding their X100 that Fuji is continuing to improve/support. Fuji pays respect to its customers. Nikon is some other kind of a creature, I guess. They are more "pragmatic" and try to get even to the Western world taking civilized's world money no matter what. They never forget WW II. Nikon doesn't bother with concepts like honor and prestige and quality as long as nobody notice. So, what about to be careful and vigilant this time and don't buy the sh1t Nikon is trying to sell to you at a premium price?! Don't let the form fools you. See the essence.

what was that?

turbsy's gear list:turbsy's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +11 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Financials & Corporate Greed
In reply to Alpha Tech, 11 months ago

Alpha Tech wrote:

The price is high due to company financials and flat out corporate greed. Did you read the recent financial report from Nikon? It was not exactly upbeat. If anything it means a possible continued decline for DSLRs. New models are priced higher so that development can continue with similar life cycle as in the past.

Then there is the second factor -- greed. The new Nikon management does not accept its own mistakes. It passes them on to the customers. The loss on all the D600 cameras and the redesign of a new model had to be paid for. Nikon is dumping the cost on the group most willing to pay for it, the Df customers. If they had simply priced the D610 higher than the D600, sales would have had too much decline worldwide. The end result is Df customers get screwed for Nikon's mistakes.

I do not understand this??? No one HAS to buy it.

-- hide signature --

Amateur photographer. Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Nikon DF, Why is the price so high? A number of reasons it seems...

jY h wrote:

There appear to be a number of genuine ''cost reasons'.

The model is made in Japan, that means something. All of the pro models are made in Japan is my understanding, the cost per unit is inherently more than in Thailand.

Additionally, the chassis materials are mag alloy and the controls knobs etc machined metal. More cost.

The viewfinder is allegedly much improved. If there were significantly better materials used therein, or simply because Nikon prices for the improved viewfinder, that is additional cost.

Sensor cost may be another factor, if the necessary connections etc are more expensive for that sensor also used on the D4.

Lastly, probably there is some premium pricing there, a few hundred and the price will likely drop by a few hundred within the year.

So, on closer look, it is not really that high. But it may drop a bit, in the coming year.

-- hide signature --

Amateur photographer. Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Alpha Tech
Regular MemberPosts: 406Gear list
Like?
Re: Financials & Corporate Greed
In reply to Bajerunner, 11 months ago

Bajerunner wrote:

Alpha Tech wrote:

Then there is the second factor -- greed. The new Nikon management does not accept its own mistakes. It passes them on to the customers. The loss on all the D600 cameras and the redesign of a new model had to be paid for. Nikon is dumping the cost on the group most willing to pay for it, the Df customers. If they had simply priced the D610 higher than the D600, sales would have had too much decline worldwide. The end result is Df customers get screwed for Nikon's mistakes.

I do not understand this??? No one HAS to buy it.

Then don't buy Df, if you cannot afford it or don't like the price. Otherwise, you are forced to pay the added cost. There is no alternative. Pay up or else is the Nikon management modus operandi.

Alpha Tech's gear list:Alpha Tech's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition
Hulamike
Senior MemberPosts: 2,810
Like?
Econ 101

Niche camera with small market potential. Supply and demand, Econ 101.

intruder61
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650Gear list
Like?
Yep

jY h wrote:

..you're getting an Angelina Jolie who can't cook and clean.....good for something, useless in much.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads