X-e2 focus tracking sequence

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
justin_time
Contributing MemberPosts: 579Gear list
Like?
X-e2 focus tracking sequence
8 months ago

tried out the X-e2 @ 3fps with 55-200 at 200mm for tracking performance with my Cairn terrier, Taz.

I wouldn't say its SLR standard. It lost it at the start (maybe my fault), but I was quite pleased with the last few shots when it caught up.

justin_time's gear list:justin_time's gear list
Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +9 more
Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Randy Benter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,709Gear list
Like?
Re: X-e2 focus tracking sequence
In reply to justin_time, 8 months ago

When using continuous drive mode, Fuji cameras do not focus between shots like most DSLRs. Focus and exposure are locked at the first shot. In your example, the camera did not catch up, but the dog moved into the area of focus.

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 70D Fujifilm X-A1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jrb9745
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to Randy Benter, 8 months ago

Randy Benter wrote:

When using continuous drive mode, Fuji cameras do not focus between shots like most DSLRs. Focus and exposure are locked at the first shot. In your example, the camera did not catch up, but the dog moved into the area of focus.

"and there's a 3 fps continuous shooting mode with focus tracking and live view between frames." http://cameras.reviewed.com/content/fujifilm-xe2-first-impressions-review

"The adoption of the dual CPU, improved computational performance has doubled the processing speed when compared with the previous generation processor** and working in tandem with the high-speed signal readout of the X-Trans CMOS II sensor, raise the maximum continuous shooting speed to 7.0 fps (max. approx. 28 frames)*5, and achieves a maximum continuous shooting speed of 3.0 fps with AF tracking." http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_e2/features/index.html

justin_time
Contributing MemberPosts: 579Gear list
Like?

Randy Benter wrote:

The last 4 shots in sequence were all definitely tracked by the camera (ie I had shutter released down all time).  If the camera had locked focus on the 1st shot, the dog would have been an unrecognisable blob when she was close up.  So I think the X-E2 does track during sequence.

justin_time's gear list:justin_time's gear list
Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +9 more
Perry Kivolowitz
Regular MemberPosts: 267Gear list
Like?

"continuous shooting with AF tracking is also possible using the subject motion predictive AF (in Low-speed Continuous Shooting Mode with auto focus set to AF-C)."

Perry Kivolowitz's gear list:Perry Kivolowitz's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Randy Benter wrote:

Incorrect (atleast on this camera). That is actually a new feature of the x-e2 and the 3fps burst mode, it refocuses for every shot

Randy Benter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,709Gear list
Like?

justin_time wrote:

Randy Benter wrote:

The last 4 shots in sequence were all definitely tracked by the camera (ie I had shutter released down all time). If the camera had locked focus on the 1st shot, the dog would have been an unrecognisable blob when she was close up. So I think the X-E2 does track during sequence.

You posted 10 shots, but they are not all a single sequence. The shutter was released between shots 2 and 3. So you have an 8 shot sequence beginning with the 3rd image you posted. This is clear based on the time stamp in the EXIF data.

When I first looked at the sequence that starts with image 3, it seemed that the dog was out of focus beginning at the far distance, then came into focus at the near distance. But now, having looked at the sequence more closely it does appear that the camera changed the focus point during the sequence.

It seems Fuji failed to update the manual regarding this change. The X-E2 manual (like other X cameras) says this: "Focus and exposure are determined by the first frame in each series"

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 70D Fujifilm X-A1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +23 more
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 32,688Gear list
Like?
Looks like Randy is right...
In reply to newone757, 8 months ago

newone757 wrote:

Randy Benter wrote:

Incorrect (atleast on this camera). That is actually a new feature of the x-e2 and the 3fps burst mode, it refocuses for every shot

There is no mention in the manual of this feature. Neither does it show up in the Fuji marketing materials.

Do you have a link that talks about this? Seems like this only happens while you have the shutter half-pressed (per the manual).

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Looks like Randy is right...
In reply to Raist3d, 8 months ago

Raist3d wrote:

newone757 wrote:

Randy Benter wrote:

There is no mention in the manual of this feature. Neither does it show up in the Fuji marketing materials.

Do you have a link that talks about this? Seems like this only happens while you have the shutter half-pressed (per the manual).

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Here you go:

From dpreviews preview

"The 3fps Continuous Low mode will show live view between frames, and attempt to refocus on moving subjects, but only if the camera is set to continuous focus mode (otherwise it just replays recently-taken shots, like the high speed mode)."

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilm-x-e2/5

EugeneC
Regular MemberPosts: 173Gear list
Like?
In reply to Perry Kivolowitz, 8 months ago

Perry Kivolowitz wrote:

"continuous shooting with AF tracking is also possible using the subject motion predictive AF (in Low-speed Continuous Shooting Mode with auto focus set to AF-C)."

Possible but not likely knowing typical Fuji focusing capabilities.

EugeneC's gear list:EugeneC's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus PEN E-P5 Fujifilm X-E2 Sony Alpha 7R +15 more
afragisk
Contributing MemberPosts: 693
Like?
In reply to EugeneC, 8 months ago

Thanks for the shots, the results look pretty encouraging

Raist3d
Like?
Honest question...

newone757 wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

newone757 wrote:

Randy Benter wrote:

-- hide signature --

Here you go:

From dpreviews preview

"The 3fps Continuous Low mode will show live view between frames, and attempt to refocus on moving subjects, but only if the camera is set to continuous focus mode (otherwise it just replays recently-taken shots, like the high speed mode)."

Why the manual makes no mention of this? Or Fuji's own website/marketing materials?

It makes me wonder if dpreview got it right (or if Fuji forgot to mention it).

-- hide signature --

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Honest question...

newone757 wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

newone757 wrote:

Randy Benter wrote:

-- hide signature --

Here you go:

From dpreviews preview

Why the manual makes no mention of this? Or Fuji's own website/marketing materials?

-- hide signature --

Not sure. I think I heard them say it on one of the 3 part videos on the x-e2 walkthrough by the fuji guys on YouTube but I can't remember for sure. I think he explained the difference between 3 for and 6 god the same

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

*fps

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,959Gear list
Like?

This may mean three things. Either Fuji will do something with firmware, Fuji's Xpro replacement or new XYZ supposed camera does better OR one still needs a DSLR for this type of stuff as simple as a dog running Sports related, wedding, event etc..

I wonder if their are any p&s that handle action well as a less expensive alternative to a DSLR, got some research to do.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
jrb9745
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?

Raist3d wrote:

newone757 wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

newone757 wrote:

Randy Benter wrote:

-- hide signature --

Here you go:

From dpreviews preview

-- hide signature --

See my post above... It is on the web site at least.. not sure about the manual.. :

"The adoption of the dual CPU, improved computational performance has doubled the processing speed when compared with the previous generation processor** and working in tandem with the high-speed signal readout of the X-Trans CMOS II sensor, raise the maximum continuous shooting speed to 7.0 fps (max. approx. 28 frames)*5, and achieves a maximum continuous shooting speed of 3.0 fps with AF tracking."http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_e2/features/index.html

Raist3d
Like?
Thanks both (n/t)
In reply to jrb9745, 8 months ago
-- hide signature --

dovla
New MemberPosts: 22Gear list
Like?
Re: Looks like Randy is not right... check page 57 of the x-e2 manual

Below is what the x-e2 manual says on page 57 (Continuous Shooting (Burst Mode) section). Pay attention to the last sentence (in bold) which confirms that focus (together with exposure) varies from frame to frame when in Low speed (3 fps) burst mode and Continuous focus mode.

"Focus and exposure are determined by the first frame in each series. The flash turns off automatically; the previously-selected flash mode is restored when burst shooting is turned off. To allow focus and exposure to vary automatically from frame to frame, select Low and rotate the focus-mode selector to C."

dovla's gear list:dovla's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E2 Apple Aperture
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads