Budget High-Performance Pentax Lenses

Started Nov 10, 2013 | Discussions
cgarrard
Forum ProPosts: 14,508Gear list
Like?
Budget High-Performance Pentax Lenses
Nov 10, 2013

Three of my votes for current Pentax Lenses that perform extremely good for the price are the:

• Pentax 55-300mm DA L f/4-5.8 (the important part is the L designation, missing a metal mount and quick focus feature- if you can live without those, it's 2/3rds the price of the 55-300mm DA). Sharp, good max magnification (for macro), wider than the usual 70-300mm's out there. (About $200-300.00 USD)
  • Pentax 50mm f/1.8 (Currently $180.00 in the US on sale from major retailers in time for xmas) a light, bare bones prime with a fast aperture at sensible price levels now. (About $175-250.00 currently new)
  • Pentax 18-55mm DA AL- weather sealed, non rotating front element, metal mount, smc coating (easy to clean folks), good max magnification for macro work,  much better than competitors kit lenses by far. (About $80-140.00 USD currently)

For those starting a kit, the above 3 lenses cover a huge range of equivalent focal lengths (27-450mm) and photographic situations. Pack all three and not only are they light and compact, they are very light on your wallet. Total range of cost, not going used is $455-690.00 USD. If you bargain hunt, you can get that figure very close to $300.00 total.

Good luck!

Carl

http://www.photographic-central.blogspot.com (Gear reviews)
http://www.carlgarrard.blogspot.com/ (Best work compilation)
Also formerly AlphaMountWorld.com (Now off the web)

GossCTP
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,142
Like?
Re: Budget High-Performance Pentax Lenses
In reply to cgarrard, Nov 10, 2013

I would think the DA 35 should be on that list as well.

-- hide signature --

Through the window in the wall
Come streaming in on sunlight wings
A million bright ambassadors of morning

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
fakuryu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,126Gear list
Like?
+1
In reply to GossCTP, Nov 10, 2013

GossCTP wrote:

-- hide signature --

The DA 35 f2.4 attached to any Pentax DSLR body could be enough for everybody... it is an excellent lens too!

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
Younes B
Contributing MemberPosts: 723Gear list
Like?
Re: +1
In reply to fakuryu, Nov 10, 2013

NOt sure if the DA 18 - 55 AL is weather sealed . I think it is the DA 18-55 WR ( which I own ).

I woul dalso recommend the DA 16-45 f4. Outpoerforms the kit lens and this 16mm!!!

Younes B's gear list:Younes B's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +6 more
JayBratcher
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?
My picks

I agree with the DA 35 2.4 - I found it to be a better performer than the DA 50 1.8, although I like that lens as well.

I am also a big fan of the 16-45 f/4 - I still ask myself why I got rid of that lens - if you get a used one (less than $300), it's a bargain in my opinion.

Finally, I would like to add the DA 40 XS as a bargain champion.  In fact, I think this may be my favorite general purpose lens - the focal length is great, it's pretty bright, CA seems well controlled, and it's the only Pentax lens I have that will fit in my pocket.

JayBratcher's gear list:JayBratcher's gear list
Nikon D70 Pentax K-5 IIs Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 24mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +9 more
grcolts
Senior MemberPosts: 1,987Gear list
Like?

Although not a lens made by Pentax, the Sigma 50/2.8 macro lens for Pentax is a steal for the price.

I have used this lens for a  number of years now and it is one of my favorites for shooting with my K10.

I did find it more useful when shooting film at a true 50/2.8 than with the DSLR's at 75.

Still a great lens.

GR

-- hide signature --

grcolts
http://g_richardsphotography.fototime.com/welcome
http://www.blurb.com/user/store/grcolts

grcolts's gear list:grcolts's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon EOS M Pentax K-50
cgarrard
Like?
In reply to Younes B, Nov 10, 2013

Younes B wrote:

NOt sure if the DA 18 - 55 AL is weather sealed . I think it is the DA 18-55 WR ( which I own ).

I woul dalso recommend the DA 16-45 f4. Outpoerforms the kit lens and this 16mm!!!

It's weather sealed:

http://www.amazon.com/18-55mm-3-5-5-6-Weather-Resistant-Pentax/dp/B002BSGUZ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384093479&sr=8-1&keywords=Pentax+18-55mm+wr

And this 16mm?

The 18-55 out performs the 16-45 on many aspects, its also much more budget, which is the point of the post.

Carl

cgarrard
Like?
In reply to fakuryu, Nov 10, 2013

fakuryu wrote:

GossCTP wrote:

-- hide signature --

The DA 35 f2.4 attached to any Pentax DSLR body could be enough for everybody... it is an excellent lens too!

-- hide signature --

It's a good lens, but not as bright or versatile as the 50mm (also the price is higher most of the time).

Carl

-- hide signature --

cgarrard
Like?
Re: My picks
In reply to JayBratcher, Nov 10, 2013

JayBratcher wrote:

I agree with the DA 35 2.4 - I found it to be a better performer than the DA 50 1.8, although I like that lens as well.

I am also a big fan of the 16-45 f/4 - I still ask myself why I got rid of that lens - if you get a used one (less than $300), it's a bargain in my opinion.

Ok but that's almost 3x as much as the kit lens I recommended, the point is bang for the buck with this post :).

Finally, I would like to add the DA 40 XS as a bargain champion. In fact, I think this may be my favorite general purpose lens - the focal length is great, it's pretty bright, CA seems well controlled, and it's the only Pentax lens I have that will fit in my pocket.

Also higher priced than the items I mentioned most of the time.

-- hide signature --

fakuryu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,126Gear list
Like?
My picks:

DA 35 f2.4 - very affordable, decently fast and tack sharp in a very useful focal lenght.

SMC-A 50mm f1.7 - regarded as best in the series (f1.4, f1.7, f2) and could be had for what? Less than US$70 for a pristine copy?

-- hide signature --

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
kriztian
Contributing MemberPosts: 639Gear list
Like?

I don´t agree that 18-55 WR is a good lens. In fact I am very dissapointed. At 18mm wide open it sucks and you have to push it to minimum 5.6. I does not have the color and contrast that one could expect from a  god lens. I regret that I bought it and I almost never use it anymore.  Cheers

-- hide signature --

kriztian

jimrpdx
Senior MemberPosts: 2,986Gear list
Like?
In reply to JayBratcher, Nov 10, 2013

Great budget trio to cover the range Carl, hard to argue there. My budget tele is the 50-200WR; less range and slower at 200mm, but I've always liked its bokeh and compactness. The 55-300 is usually a bit sharper without processing, and I once found that 55-300 DAL for $150!

I too am a big DA16-45 fan, and my good-weather trio is 16-45, 70Ltd, and 105 macro - but for budget users that 18-55wr is mighty talented. Good point though kriztian, as it's a kit lens there are more quality-control issues with the 18-55 series, many are good, and some are poor.

-- hide signature --

Jim in Oregon -- Pentax user, Alpha & m4:3 veteran
talking to myself at http://granitix.blogspot.com

jimrpdx's gear list:jimrpdx's gear list
Pentax Q Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
ccd
ccd
Regular MemberPosts: 370
Like?

cgarrard wrote:

And this 16mm?

The 18-55 out performs the 16-45 on many aspects, its also much more budget, which is the point of the post.

In what aspects are those? I have both lenses, and besides cost, the smaller size, and an extra 10mm there is nothing else I know where the 18-55 outperforms the 16-45. And I definitely value the extra 2mm on the short end......since the idea for use of these two lenses is more defined by the wide angle than the long end.

Beyond that, there is budget and there is value. I would rather save up a little and buy a better lens (I got my 16-45 for less than $200 in almost new condition). For what it provides it is well worth the extra cash and still not so much that it's beyond your reach financially. Remember, you don't need to buy all the lenses you want all at once.

That being said, I will go somewhat hypocritically go against the grain and recommend the much maligned 50-200 over the 55-300. Not only is it considerably cheaper, but it is so much more compact and lighter. Yes, of course there are times when that extra 100mm is so handy, but with the resolution of many cameras these days one can crop and zoom to mitigate some of that difference. The biggest advantage is the portability on a practical level. I find myself using it more than my 300 because I hike......and it packs and hauls much better. I also see the difference optically to be less significant than others do.....at least with my copy. That's why I said "somewhat" hypocritically......I feel the difference optically is much less than the difference between the 16-45 and the 18-55 for example. I know many see this differently, but the fact that I sometimes confuse it with my 18-55 when fully retracted says a lot about this little marvel.

JNR
JNR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,916Gear list
Like?

cgarrard wrote:

Three of my votes for current Pentax Lenses that perform extremely good for the price are the:

• Pentax 18-55mm DA AL- weather sealed, non rotating front element, metal mount, smc coating (easy to clean folks), good max magnification for macro work, much better than competitors kit lenses by far. (About $80-140.00 USD currently)

No argument, but just a clarification that the Pentax weather sealed lenses are designated as WR. It can be confusing with five distinct versions of the 18-55!

• SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 AL (first version - more elements, poorer at either end, only slightly better than competing kits)
  • SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 AL II (revised version with greater sharpness, quick shift)
  • SMC Pentax-DA L 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 AL (lightweight newer version with plastic mount, no quick shift)
  • SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 AL WR (weather-resistant newer version - good build, quick shift)
  • SMC Pentax-DAL 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 AL WR (weather-resistant but with lighter build - plastic mount, no quick shift; introduced with K-50)

I got the best of the bunch in my closeout kit with the K-30 (SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 AL WR). While it isn't the sharpest overall zoom I have used, it isn't below average in any aspect. It might be the best zoom I have used in working against the light (I especially enjoy shooting against back-lighting). The build is markedly better than the 16-45 - quite nice feel overall.

I think either of the WR lenses are an especially good value, but take care to be sure you aren't buying a resale from the K-50 kit if you want the metal mount and quick shift. All of the newer optical designs (the last four on the list) should be optically the same - and really are optically better but not by a huge margin based on tests I've read.

-- hide signature --

JNR
www.jamesrobins.com

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +1 more
JNR
JNR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,916Gear list
Like?

cgarrard wrote:

JayBratcher wrote:

Ok but that's almost 3x as much as the kit lens I recommended, the point is bang for the buck with this post :).

Finally, I would like to add the DA 40 XS as a bargain champion. In fact, I think this may be my favorite general purpose lens - the focal length is great, it's pretty bright, CA seems well controlled, and it's the only Pentax lens I have that will fit in my pocket.

-- hide signature --

Just to clarify on something posted earlier in the thread before seeing the 16-45 vs. 18-55 discussion. Other than the oddity of the barrel extension when shooting wide (on-board flash shadow, distortion when shooting upward unless your hand supports the barrel extension), the 16-45 is a better lens optically in every position - at least with my lens. It is very sharp overall, even sharp wide open.

The 16-45 is a very good value, but isn't really a budget lens that fits right in this discussion. Doubt it can be found new now, and I suspect most of the used ones got a lot of use because it is a fine general use lens.

-- hide signature --

JNR
www.jamesrobins.com

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +1 more
britcam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,193Gear list
Like?

cgarrard wrote:

The DA 40 XS can be easily found for very low prices on the used market, for no more than £125 or 150€. Many have never been used, being part of an original K-01 kit and surplus to the requirements of the seller ...

It is very compact, yet optically the same as the far more expensive DA40. I wouldn't hesitate to get as a first lens. It has only one real drawback - a tiny lens cap that is too easy to lose!

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
britcam - Rich S

britcam's gear list:britcam's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-A1 +8 more
britcam
Like?

cgarrard wrote:

fakuryu wrote:

GossCTP wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

It's a good lens, but not as bright or versatile as the 50mm (also the price is higher most of the time).

Carl

-- hide signature --

The 35mm f.2.4 is a tremendous lens - lightweight build, and excellent optics. It is the equivalent of a 52mm standard lens in 35mm terms, so could be considered to be a standard lens on APS-c.

On the other hand a 50mm becomes a short telephoto (75mm equiv) so unless that's your preferred shooting style, the 35 is the better choice .... IMHO ...  OK a 50 is faster but with the Pentax high ISO ability that's not really a problem.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
britcam - Rich S

Fujifilm X-E2 Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-A1 +8 more
Walt_A
Senior MemberPosts: 1,573
Like?
In reply to kriztian, Nov 10, 2013

kriztian wrote:

I don´t agree that 18-55 WR is a good lens. In fact I am very dissapointed. At 18mm wide open it sucks and you have to push it to minimum 5.6. I does not have the color and contrast that one could expect from a god lens. I regret that I bought it and I almost never use it anymore. Cheers

I tend to agree, I don't like my 18-55 WR either and very seldom use it. I bought a 18-55 DAL to see if it might be better (sample variation etc), and it is better, still not that impressive though. I have a canon ef-s 18-55 IS kit lens and very happily use that, although unfortunately not on a pentax....:-(

yardcoyote
Senior MemberPosts: 2,963Gear list
Like?
Lens cap for XS?
In reply to jimrpdx, Nov 10, 2013

I count myself lucky that I seem to have gotten a good one-- my 18-55 WR is very sound, particularly between about f/8 and f/11.

That said, does the 40mm XS use the same lens cap as the 40mm Limited?  If it does, does the trick of using a Fuji film canister lid as an everyday cap work as well with that lens as it does with the Limited?  If it does, problem solved.  Snap on, snap off!

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +2 more
britcam
Like?
Re: Lens cap for XS?
In reply to yardcoyote, Nov 10, 2013

yardcoyote wrote:

I count myself lucky that I seem to have gotten a good one-- my 18-55 WR is very sound, particularly between about f/8 and f/11.

That said, does the 40mm XS use the same lens cap as the 40mm Limited? If it does, does the trick of using a Fuji film canister lid as an everyday cap work as well with that lens as it does with the Limited? If it does, problem solved. Snap on, snap off!

I'm afraid not ...!

The DA 40 has a 30mm cap, while the DA 40 XS has a 27mm cap

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
britcam - Rich S

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads