What is one place you would love to visit (or have visited) for a photography holiday?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,602Gear list
Like?
Re: A peaceful Middle East, including Syria
In reply to Rexgig0, 10 months ago

Rexgig0 wrote:

My trip of a lifetime, largely due to an interest in several eras of history, would include a slow, winding path through the Middle East, which, lamentably, is currently not the safest place for a tall, fair-skinned, blue-eyed person, with an East Texas accent, to be toting a camera.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action. During personal time, I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

Well, there are places that would be difficult - certainly not Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya or Syria. And for now, Egypt.

However, it all comes together in Israel, which is totally safe, including all of Jerusalem, Bethlehem etc. Also Jordan (don't miss Petra!). Morocco, and the gem of Istanbul/Turkey.

Then there's Saudi Arabia, and the entire Gulf Cooperation Council.

Get those off your bucket list, and by then, Egypt should reopen, and Lebanon should be over the crap to its north.

My partner and I - me a blue-eyed Jew - and two relatives, one a high active reserve officer in the Israel Defense Forces - went into Jordan and toured with a Palestinian Arab guide from Hebron. I would have gone to Amman with him, if we had more time.

Americans are so ignorant of Middle East politics that they tend to think it's all a risky mess. It's not. Go and enjoy!

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SomebodyFamous
Regular MemberPosts: 324
Like?
Re: Stalingrad
In reply to kixigvaq, 10 months ago

kixigvaq wrote:

I've been interested in the war on the Eastern front since I was a student. I would love to spend a couple of months exploring the area that comprised the Stalingrad pocket. Not many people who survived the war there still left. But there are museums and historical places to visit.

-- hide signature --

Abyssus abyssum invocat

Volgograd is probably totally rebuilt now. The mother of one of my friends gained the Star of Lenin at Stalingrad where she was fighting the Nazis.

-- hide signature --

I take photos for my own pleasure. I write books for my own pleasure too. If people buy them then fine. If not then I don't really care. The fun was in writing them. Income is just icing on top of the cake.

Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,718Gear list
Like?
Re: A peaceful Middle East, including Syria
In reply to Mel Snyder, 10 months ago

Mel Snyder wrote:

Rexgig0 wrote:

My trip of a lifetime, largely due to an interest in several eras of history, would include a slow, winding path through the Middle East, which, lamentably, is currently not the safest place for a tall, fair-skinned, blue-eyed person, with an East Texas accent, to be toting a camera.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action. During personal time, I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

Well, there are places that would be difficult - certainly not Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya or Syria. And for now, Egypt.

However, it all comes together in Israel, which is totally safe, including all of Jerusalem, Bethlehem etc. Also Jordan (don't miss Petra!). Morocco, and the gem of Istanbul/Turkey.

Then there's Saudi Arabia, and the entire Gulf Cooperation Council.

Get those off your bucket list, and by then, Egypt should reopen, and Lebanon should be over the crap to its north.

My partner and I - me a blue-eyed Jew - and two relatives, one a high active reserve officer in the Israel Defense Forces - went into Jordan and toured with a Palestinian Arab guide from Hebron. I would have gone to Amman with him, if we had more time.

Americans are so ignorant of Middle East politics that they tend to think it's all a risky mess. It's not. Go and enjoy!

Thanks! Yes, I would think Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Turkey, most of the Arab states, and Morocco to be safer than much or most of the USA. Iran, too, is probably safe enough, if one avoids anything that may resemble espionage or politics, as the Iranian people are quite wonderful. I would not fear moving about in Lebanon, with a good guide, to keep me from stumbling into the troubled areas.

If I want high adventure, I can visit parts of the Houston metro area, minutes from home, or drive for six hours, to New Orleans, here in the USA.

-- hide signature --

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +25 more
Lawrence W
Regular MemberPosts: 300Gear list
Like?
Re: What is one place you would love to visit (or have visited) for a photography holiday?
In reply to Mel Snyder, 10 months ago

I like Prague, but Budapest's got a lot to offer too.

Lawrence W's gear list:Lawrence W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Nikon D7100 +9 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: What is one place you would love to visit (or have visited) for a photography holiday?
In reply to BlueJakester, 10 months ago

BlueJakester wrote:

Is the beer any good there?

Oh, yesh.  Itsss wunnerful...  Jus cant gettenuff offf the stuffzzz...

But seriously: come to Scotland and you get fine landscapes, from mountains to coastline, with lots of history and a full range of weather experiences.  And all packed into an area about half the size of Florida, so you don't have to drive hundreds of miles to get to the next photo op.

Here's a nice Highland sunset as a tempter.

Skye sunset

BlueJakester
Senior MemberPosts: 1,712Gear list
Like?
In reply to FatColin, 10 months ago

FatColin wrote:

BlueJakester wrote:

Is the beer any good there?

Oh, yesh. Itsss wunnerful... Jus cant gettenuff offf the stuffzzz...

But seriously: come to Scotland and you get fine landscapes, from mountains to coastline, with lots of history and a full range of weather experiences. And all packed into an area about half the size of Florida, so you don't have to drive hundreds of miles to get to the next photo op.

In all honesty, I would absolutely love to visit Scotland. Maybe I will be able to afford a trip abroad someday.

Cheers Colin!

Jake

p.s. Beautiful photo.

BlueJakester's gear list:BlueJakester's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +2 more
kixigvaq
Senior MemberPosts: 1,108
Like?
Re: WWII battle sites
In reply to BigBen08, 10 months ago

I lived in Dutch Harbor, Alaska which the Japanese attacked in 1943. My apartment was located on what the GIs called "Suicide Hill." The radio station was there and the first day the fighters flew in on the beam and blasted the station into nothing. The battles of Attu and Kiska were interesting in that they were so isolated. They are still relatively untouched, with equipment and munitions lying around. Stalin had been holding Siberian forces on the coast for fear of Japanese invasion. After the Aleutian battles ended he freed them up to use against the Germans. That made a big difference in many battles. The Siberians were well-trained, highly motivated, and knew how to function in the cold.

-- hide signature --

Abyssus abyssum invocat

digitallollygag
Regular MemberPosts: 258Gear list
Like?
In reply to karl eller, 10 months ago

karl eller wrote:

Say you had the opportunity to take one all-expenses-paid photography holiday to any location you wanted, where would it be? It could be somewhere that you want to go but haven't had the opportunity, or somewhere that you've been before and want to go back, the sky is the limit (literally, no space ).

For me, it would have to be a multiple-day tour of the Chernobyl region, and the cities of Chernobyl and Pripyat in particular. I've always had a fascination with abandoned structures and cities, and the Chernobyl region combines two (almost completely) abandoned cities and multiple smaller towns/villages with Soviet-era Russian architecture, and any photos I've seen always look amazing (and a little haunting). The region has also played a fairly major part in a number of video games I've enjoyed, particularly the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, which is another reason to visit.

So what is your place?

Yes!  The Chernobyl region would be at or near the top of my list!  As runner-up, I'd like to photograph every ghost town there is in Nevada.

digitallollygag's gear list:digitallollygag's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D100 Olympus E-410 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q +18 more
BigBen08
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,471
Like?
Re: WWII battle sites
In reply to kixigvaq, 10 months ago

kixigvaq wrote:

I lived in Dutch Harbor, Alaska which the Japanese attacked in 1943. My apartment was located on what the GIs called "Suicide Hill." The radio station was there and the first day the fighters flew in on the beam and blasted the station into nothing. The battles of Attu and Kiska were interesting in that they were so isolated. They are still relatively untouched, with equipment and munitions lying around. Stalin had been holding Siberian forces on the coast for fear of Japanese invasion. After the Aleutian battles ended he freed them up to use against the Germans. That made a big difference in many battles. The Siberians were well-trained, highly motivated, and knew how to function in the cold.

-- hide signature --

Abyssus abyssum invocat

That's interesting, I'll do a search on those battles. Thanks for sharing.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to digitallollygag, 10 months ago

digitallollygag wrote:

karl eller wrote:

Say you had the opportunity to take one all-expenses-paid photography holiday to any location you wanted, where would it be? It could be somewhere that you want to go but haven't had the opportunity, or somewhere that you've been before and want to go back, the sky is the limit (literally, no space ).

For me, it would have to be a multiple-day tour of the Chernobyl region, and the cities of Chernobyl and Pripyat in particular. I've always had a fascination with abandoned structures and cities, and the Chernobyl region combines two (almost completely) abandoned cities and multiple smaller towns/villages with Soviet-era Russian architecture, and any photos I've seen always look amazing (and a little haunting). The region has also played a fairly major part in a number of video games I've enjoyed, particularly the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, which is another reason to visit.

So what is your place?

Yes! The Chernobyl region would be at or near the top of my list!

Not worth shortening your life.

As runner-up, I'd like to photograph every ghost town there is in Nevada.

Good luck with that one, as there are hundreds of them. Many of them in places you'll likely die in if you get stranded, assuming you make it there in the first place.

ecm
ecm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,419Gear list
Like?

karl eller wrote:

So what is your place?

The Continental Divide trail, a good mountain bike, a bottle of good whiskey, and 6 months to explore.

Colin.

-- hide signature --

unus pes præ altero....

ecm's gear list:ecm's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Canon EOS 600D Pentax Q Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
kixigvaq
Senior MemberPosts: 1,108
Like?
If you're interested in Chernobyl….

Don't miss Kid of Speed, Elena Filatova.

‎http://www.kiddofspeed.com

-- hide signature --

Abyssus abyssum invocat

MatsP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,015Gear list
Like?
In reply to BlueJakester, 10 months ago

BlueJakester wrote:

Basalite wrote:

BlueJakester wrote:

Europe.

Where in Europe? It's not like its a country.

The scenic part with old buildings and pretty girls.

You must think of Stockholm 

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
MatsP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,015Gear list
Like?

I love dense, lively cities, old and modern architecture as well as abandoned places and stunning sceneries.. So please give me a trip to NY, Amsterdam, Rome, Barcelona, Lissabon, Venice, Vilnius, Stora Nassa archipelago, Lago di Garda, Kebnekaise, Lofoten, Route#1 in California, Rapa Valley, Taipei... well, I've already been at those places but why not once more....

If i had to choose one place I think New York. Or Istanbul.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
karl eller
Regular MemberPosts: 253Gear list
Like?
In reply to Basalite, 10 months ago

Basalite wrote:

digitallollygag wrote:

Yes! The Chernobyl region would be at or near the top of my list!

Not worth shortening your life.

You'd receive more radiation flying to Chernobyl than you would actually visiting the place. You obviously still can't get too close to Reactor 4, but the background radiation is pretty low and isn't a problem unless you're spending a long time there (months).

karl eller's gear list:karl eller's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
TheDman
Regular MemberPosts: 304Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jacobite, 10 months ago

Jacobite wrote:

You may as well lock this thread, as the obvious answer is, without question, Scotland. Anywhere between Gretna Green to Lerwick and from Stornaway to Aberdeen.

Get yourselves over here, you won't be disappointed and don't forget to bring your American Express cards.

Been there three times, couldn't agree more! Just did the West Highland Way and Isle of Skye in May.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads