What is one place you would love to visit (or have visited) for a photography holiday?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
karl eller
Regular MemberPosts: 263Gear list
Like?
What is one place you would love to visit (or have visited) for a photography holiday?
11 months ago

Say you had the opportunity to take one all-expenses-paid photography holiday to any location you wanted, where would it be? It could be somewhere that you want to go but haven't had the opportunity, or somewhere that you've been before and want to go back, the sky is the limit (literally, no space ).

For me, it would have to be a multiple-day tour of the Chernobyl region, and the cities of Chernobyl and Pripyat in particular. I've always had a fascination with abandoned structures and cities, and the Chernobyl region combines two (almost completely) abandoned cities and multiple smaller towns/villages with Soviet-era Russian architecture, and any photos I've seen always look amazing (and a little haunting). The region has also played a fairly major part in a number of video games I've enjoyed, particularly the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, which is another reason to visit.

So what is your place?

karl eller's gear list:karl eller's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Bill Robb
Senior MemberPosts: 3,332
Like?
Re: What is one place you would love to visit (or have visited) for a photography holiday?
In reply to karl eller, 11 months ago

Mars.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Andreas Stuebs
Contributing MemberPosts: 715Gear list
Like?
Re: What is one place you would love to visit (or have visited) for a photography holiday?

I could name a few: Chicago, for example, or the US Mid-West. Closer to home: the German Baltic coast

Anywhere I can get a decent cup of tea

Andreas Stuebs's gear list:Andreas Stuebs's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +11 more
tex
tex
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,214Gear list
Like?
Can't narrow it down, so many places /nt
-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software.
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Pentax 645Z Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +16 more
MaryGierth
Senior MemberPosts: 2,949
Like?

Too many really to list but my husband and I are going to Iceland in June 2014 (his choice) followed by the Dolomites (my choice) - about two weeks each.

Lee Jay
Forum ProPosts: 44,652Gear list
Like?
ISS (n.t.)
-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 550D +23 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Andreas Stuebs, 11 months ago

Andreas Stuebs wrote:

I could name a few: Chicago, for example, or the US Mid-West. Closer to home: the German Baltic coast

In America it is all about very different herbal teas. Regular tea is mostly consumed as heavily lemoned and iced cold.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

karl eller wrote:

Say you had the opportunity to take one all-expenses-paid photography holiday to any location you wanted, where would it be? It could be somewhere that you want to go but haven't had the opportunity, or somewhere that you've been before and want to go back, the sky is the limit (literally, no space ).

For me, it would have to be a multiple-day tour of the Chernobyl region, and the cities of Chernobyl and Pripyat in particular. I've always had a fascination with abandoned structures and cities, and the Chernobyl region combines two (almost completely) abandoned cities and multiple smaller towns/villages with Soviet-era Russian architecture, and any photos I've seen always look amazing (and a little haunting). The region has also played a fairly major part in a number of video games I've enjoyed, particularly the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, which is another reason to visit.

So what is your place?

In terms of countries, America would be number one for landscapes and in terms of ancient architecture Italy and Greece. As an American I am blessed to live in a country that has every climatic condition on earth and by far the most varied landscape.

jess shudup
Regular MemberPosts: 450
Like?
Re: The Playboy Mansion

To shoot "portraits".  And candids.

Lots of 'em.

Mark Scott Abeln
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,975Gear list
Like?
In reply to Andreas Stuebs, 11 months ago

Andreas Stuebs wrote:

Chicago is a great photogenic city, along with its surrounding region.  But can you get good tea there? That might be a problem. Here in the USA we drink mainly coffee, but most large cities have at least one tea room or shop — you have to do your research first.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Rokinon 85mm F1.4
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,099Gear list
Like?
Galapagos Islands

I'll likely never get to go there otherwise.  Aside from such a rich diverse ecosystem, I think it's wonderful there's a place where wildlife has no reason to fear humans.

Mark

CallMeAlan
Regular MemberPosts: 441Gear list
Like?
Iceland

NT

-- hide signature --

I do wish people would read what they've written before clicking Post. It's so easy to a word out or misspell soemhing.

CallMeAlan's gear list:CallMeAlan's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D800 Pentax K-3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,043Gear list
Like?
Re: Galapagos Islands, my choice, too!
In reply to Mark B., 11 months ago

Mark,

My wife and I have been there twice.  Incredible photo ops each time.  We have been fortunate to be able to take trips, and after 43 cruises, it still stands as our #1 trip.

After two Galapagos trips; we probably won't go again.  Age is creeping up on us, and there are still other spots we want to see while we still can.  Next up?  Antarctica!

After that, we'd like to see eastern Europe, more of Russia, and the national parks in the American West that we've missed.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
happypoppeye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,789Gear list
Like?
Well...

I've played this game for the last five years and have been to some amazing places and have seen more than most people will see ...and I can say, if you want to go than go. It was worth more than all the money I spent.

As for now, this second, I really want to go back to Shanghai and stay on the Bund ...for some reason.

My other choices would be Somalia, Namche Bazaar, a hike along the entire HMT.

As for have visited that I would love to go back (other than Shanghai)

Hong Kong

Japan

Thailand

Laos

Vietnam

Yemen

Afghanistan

Nepal

Morocco

Mali and Timbuktu (spectacular country by the way)

Nigeria

Togo

Ghana

Burkina Faso

Jordan

Syria (I would actually like to see Syria today ...my God)

Egypt

Ethiopia (an absolute photographers dream)

Sudan

Cameroon (another photographers dream country with the added benefit of very little tourists)

Oman

UAE

Italy

India

Myanmar

...to name a few

happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
Biggs23
Biggs23 MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,583Gear list
Like?

Machu Picchu

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview. Have a good one and God bless!

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
BlueJakester
Senior MemberPosts: 1,713Gear list
Like?

Europe.

BlueJakester's gear list:BlueJakester's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +2 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to BlueJakester, 11 months ago

BlueJakester wrote:

Europe.

Where in Europe? It's not like its a country.

BlueJakester
Like?
In reply to Basalite, 11 months ago

Basalite wrote:

BlueJakester wrote:

Europe.

The scenic part with old buildings and pretty girls.

Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +2 more
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 5,069Gear list
Like?
In reply to BlueJakester, 11 months ago

BlueJakester wrote:

Basalite wrote:

BlueJakester wrote:

Europe.

Welcome to Britain then!

We are reluctantly still in Europe.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
BlueJakester
Like?
In reply to Sonyshine, 11 months ago

Sonyshine wrote:

BlueJakester wrote:

Basalite wrote:

BlueJakester wrote:

Europe.

Welcome to Britain then!

We are reluctantly still in Europe.

Cheers!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads