To watermark or not to watermark?

Started Nov 10, 2013 | Discussions
Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
To watermark or not to watermark?
Nov 10, 2013

Hey,

I have just finished building a website with the largest onscreen images coming in at around the 750x500 pixel, 96dpi 100kb file size.

I have put in place a system that stops right click stealing of the image, but have just learn't that when viewed on an iphone, the image's can be saved as 750x500 pixels, 96dpi at around 50kb with the exif copyright information removed. They are pretty useless to be stolen for print, but they are of ample size for web use.
I don't want to water mark them with a faint diagonal cross and ©(my name) in the center a'la stock library's as I feel it devalues the viewing experience, but I'm thinking that I may have to.

What are your thoughts?

-- hide signature --
 Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/50 +21 more
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,505Gear list
Like?
Re: To watermark or not to watermark?
In reply to Clueless Wanderer, Nov 10, 2013

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Hey,

I have just finished building a website with the largest onscreen images coming in at around the 750x500 pixel, 96dpi 100kb file size.

dpi actually doesn't matter for images on the web; it's still an image that is 750 pixels by 500 pixels.

I have put in place a system that stops right click stealing of the image, but have just learn't that when viewed on an iphone, the image's can be saved as 750x500 pixels, 96dpi at around 50kb with the exif copyright information removed. They are pretty useless to be stolen for print, but they are of ample size for web use.
I don't want to water mark them with a faint diagonal cross and ©(my name) in the center a'la stock library's as I feel it devalues the viewing experience, but I'm thinking that I may have to.

What are your thoughts?

There isn't anything you can do to prevent an image from being stolen if it's on the web.  Right-click blocking only keeps honest people honest.  If it's displayed on a web page, it can still be taken - whether from an iPhone or traditional computer workstation.  You either let it go, watermark, or don't put it on the web.

Mark

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JPEG Shooter
Contributing MemberPosts: 543Gear list
Like?

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Hey,

What are your thoughts?

-- hide signature --

That is a dilemma I have faced as well.

I am appalled at the attitude of some people now-a-days.  If you read the other posts here about photos being stolen, some respondants are of the opinion that "posting is sharing" and that if you post your images, they are there for the taking.  And this kind of idiocy is what we have to deal with.  It seems like this attitude is becoming more and more prevalent.

Some say to simply post smaller images (as you have done) to make them useless as prints.  Well as you point out, those smaller images do just fine on the web and that is exactly where some stolen photos are being used.  And yes, while a 750x500 image would not make a suitable print, it would work fine for stamps, buttons, mugs... many things that people print photos on.  Thieves can make money from even small images.

I've had my images stolen and that is why I started watermarking most of them.  I also know someone that had a beautiful scenic shot taken on vacation.  They posted a small version on their web site, not watermarked, only to find out later that a travel company had stolen it and used it on their web site - without even crediting the photographer -  to promote the location.

So, either watermark your images (and even then, it isn't a guarantee that they are safe), or don't watermark your images and know that they ARE being stolen, or don't post your images and leave them on your harddrive where no one sees them but you.  It's a tough call, I know.

-- hide signature --

JPEG Shooter
view my galleries at http://www.pbase.com/fotogrfr

JPEG Shooter's gear list:JPEG Shooter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Fujifilm X-S1 Olympus Tough TG-3 Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 +3 more
Toccata47
Senior MemberPosts: 2,245
Like?

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

What are your thoughts?

Took a look at your site and found the images way to small as is. Frankly, I wouldn't consider any for purchase simply because they are too small to get more than an impression, perhaps at 1/20 asking price including shipping if they were framed and mounted. Adding a watermark or further diminishing the images seems counterproductive. Go for full screen with a watermark if you must. I will say that watermarks are far from foolproof. But then again, so is building a business around selling stock online.

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 22,121Gear list
Like?
In reply to Toccata47, Nov 10, 2013

Toccata47 wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

What are your thoughts?

Took a look at your site and found the images way to small as is. Frankly, I wouldn't consider any for purchase simply because they are too small to get more than an impression, perhaps at 1/20 asking price including shipping if they were framed and mounted.

Be wary of advice you get on here as they many are photo enthusiasts that would not buy items regardless of how big or small an image is displayed and there are also many that want image shown big for personal viewing without a sense of regard for image security.

Adding a watermark or further diminishing the images seems counterproductive. Go for full screen with a watermark if you must. I will say that watermarks are far from foolproof. But then again, so is building a business around selling stock online.

Spot on from my comment above. His photographs are not stock images, they are fine art.  Sorry if you cannot recognize the difference. OP: again be wary of "advice" received on here.    I find nothing wrong with the size of your images but I would have some sort of watermark.  IMHO small watermarks do little to protect an image as they can much more easily be removed/cloned out, etc.  If someone cannot see "past" the watermark thinking it "ruins the viewing experience" they are unlikely those that would actually purchase from you.  Keep that in mind!

Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,839
Like?
Your images look great uprezed.

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Hey,

I don't want to water mark them with a faint diagonal cross and ©(my name) in the center a'la stock library's as I feel it devalues the viewing experience, but I'm thinking that I may have to.What are your thoughts?

Your pictures can be easily uprezed and sharpened then printed. I printed a couple at 8.5 x 11 they look great, could put them on the wall or make them a little smaller and put them in a 3 photo picture frame since some of your pictures are themed. Why would anyone buy them if they can just pull them off computer and put the strait on their wall.

seeblue
Senior MemberPosts: 1,301
Like?

A watermark will at least stop the lazy, casual, stealer/re-user, I guess. And I suppose it could advertise and legitimize your “brand”. But, I’m not a pro.

You can’t prevent screen captures. Shift-Command-4 on an Apple computer will allow for a screen capture of any specified (to the pixel) screen area. It’s a nice little feature (but not new). Screen captures are simple from any device (phone, tablet, PC/Mac).

Samaistuin
Regular MemberPosts: 396
Like?

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

I have put in place a system that stops right click

But that doesn't even work.

GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,273Gear list
Like?

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Hey,

Good size, but maybe too small for today's screens.

I have put in place a system that stops right click stealing of the image,

Don't do that as it just annoys users and you are also preventing a user from using a right button, back click to exit the page.   Blocking the right click is just BAD practice.  PERIOD.

It also does NOT prevent copying of the image.  EVERY image viewed on screen is already on the user's computer.  The browser stores it in the cache, and it can easily be retrieved from there by anyone who knows even a little about computers.

but have just learn't that when viewed on an iphone, the image's can be saved as 750x500 pixels, 96dpi at around 50kb with the exif copyright information removed. They are pretty useless to be stolen for print, but they are of ample size for web use.

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are that if you are worried about someone stealing your 750x500 pixel images, you should NOT post them to the web at all.  Even on your own website.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +40 more
Miwok
Contributing MemberPosts: 516Gear list
Like?

Wow! they still people who think than they can sell photos with a website?

Good luck my friend!

hdr
hdr
Senior MemberPosts: 1,807Gear list
Like?
In reply to Miwok, Nov 10, 2013

Miwok wrote:

Wow! they still people who think than they can sell photos with a website?

Good luck my friend!

It's hard, very hard, unless one's full-res pics are in greatest demand.

tcg550
Contributing MemberPosts: 936
Like?
In reply to Clueless Wanderer, Nov 11, 2013

A simple Firefox add on downloaded all your images in a few seconds.

Pointing this out does not mean we believe they are there for the taking it means just as others have said your photos are not safe once they are posted on the web.

Watermark them but there really isn't anything else you can do.

My kid was just in Disney World running a race. There were several photographers all over the course. She was provided a link to purchase photos. The website has such small previews that are watermarked in such a way that even if you could see the photos they would be so distorted as to make a purchasing decision impossible.

At 59 bucks I would really like to see the photos before spending that kind of money.

So in that case the company lost a $59 dollar sale because I couldn't make out the quality of the photos. And yes I would spend the money as a gift to my daughter and fiancee but not without knowing hat i was getting.

Do what you thinks is best.

Clueless Wanderer
Like?
In reply to Toccata47, Nov 11, 2013

Toccata47 wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

What are your thoughts?

Took a look at your site and found the images way to small as is. Frankly, I wouldn't consider any for purchase simply because they are too small to get more than an impression, perhaps at 1/20 asking price including shipping if they were framed and mounted. Adding a watermark or further diminishing the images seems counterproductive. Go for full screen with a watermark if you must. I will say that watermarks are far from foolproof. But then again, so is building a business around selling stock online.

1/20 asking price??  so your saying I should be selling 20x30 inch prints on 24x32 paper for $15nzd  (less than $13usd) including shipping?  Sorry if I don't take your comments seriously.. 
Regarding your comments about building a business around stock... Er you do know that I am only selling prints, not stock? The reference to stock was in the form of the type of water marking I would be doing, if I indeed did water mark.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/50 +21 more
Clueless Wanderer
Like?
In reply to Mark B., Nov 11, 2013

Mark B. wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Hey,

dpi actually doesn't matter for images on the web; it's still an image that is 750 pixels by 500 pixels.

What are your thoughts?

There isn't anything you can do to prevent an image from being stolen if it's on the web. Right-click blocking only keeps honest people honest. If it's displayed on a web page, it can still be taken - whether from an iPhone or traditional computer workstation. You either let it go, watermark, or don't put it on the web.

Mark

..Yes I know DPI is irrelevant for web use, I mentioned the DPI to point out the images usability when it came to print.

Thanks for the heads up about stealing from a computer work station. I haven't disabled right click, just done some java to negate 'save as'. Could you tell me how I can attempt to save an image with a work station, so I can test it out for myself?

-- hide signature --
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,505Gear list
Like?

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Hey,

What are your thoughts?

There isn't anything you can do to prevent an image from being stolen if it's on the web. Right-click blocking only keeps honest people honest. If it's displayed on a web page, it can still be taken - whether from an iPhone or traditional computer workstation. You either let it go, watermark, or don't put it on the web.

Mark

..Yes I know DPI is irrelevant for web use, I mentioned the DPI to point out the images usability when it came to print.

What I'm saying is you could resize it to 1000ppi, but it's still 750 pixels wide and 500 pixels high.

Thanks for the heads up about stealing from a computer work station. I haven't disabled right click, just done some java to negate 'save as'. Could you tell me how I can attempt to save an image with a work station, so I can test it out for myself?

One way is to do a screen capture, then crop it to the image.

Mark

Clueless Wanderer
Like?
In reply to RedFox88, Nov 11, 2013

RedFox88 wrote:

Toccata47 wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

What are your thoughts?

Took a look at your site and found the images way to small as is. Frankly, I wouldn't consider any for purchase simply because they are too small to get more than an impression, perhaps at 1/20 asking price including shipping if they were framed and mounted.

Be wary of advice you get on here as they many are photo enthusiasts that would not buy items regardless of how big or small an image is displayed and there are also many that want image shown big for personal viewing without a sense of regard for image security.

Adding a watermark or further diminishing the images seems counterproductive. Go for full screen with a watermark if you must. I will say that watermarks are far from foolproof. But then again, so is building a business around selling stock online.

Spot on from my comment above. His photographs are not stock images, they are fine art. Sorry if you cannot recognize the difference. OP: again be wary of "advice" received on here. I find nothing wrong with the size of your images but I would have some sort of watermark. IMHO small watermarks do little to protect an image as they can much more easily be removed/cloned out, etc. If someone cannot see "past" the watermark thinking it "ruins the viewing experience" they are unlikely those that would actually purchase from you. Keep that in mind!

Man, thanks for this

You have provided a really informative opinion with clear perspective.

"If someone cannot see "past" the watermark thinking it "ruins the viewing experience" they are unlikely those that would actually purchase from you" - RedFox88    - This is the kind of thing I was looking for when I originally posted, a perspective on potential buyers attitudes. Again, thanks

BTW, I knew I would have to filter a certain amount of responses

-- hide signature --
Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,839
Like?

On Apple shift  control and 4

print screen button on keyboard

this does  copy   then paste into yor photo editor

Clueless Wanderer
Like?
In reply to Mark B., Nov 11, 2013

Mark B. wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Hey,

What are your thoughts?

Mark

What I'm saying is you could resize it to 1000ppi, but it's still 750 pixels wide and 500 pixels high.

One way is to do a screen capture, then crop it to the image.

Mark

Screen capture in what way? certain software? windows snipping tool?
Do you mind having a go with an image on the (my) website? And let me know if you were successful?

Thanks..

-- hide signature --
Clueless Wanderer
Like?
In reply to Richard, Nov 11, 2013

Richard wrote:

On Apple shift control and 4

print screen button on keyboard

this does copy then paste into yor photo editor

Hey im on Windows7. Could you try and get a capture of a larger image off the website and let me know if it worked?
Thanks

-- hide signature --
Clueless Wanderer
Like?
Re: Your images look great uprezed.
In reply to Richard, Nov 11, 2013

Richard wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Hey,

I don't want to water mark them with a faint diagonal cross and ©(my name) in the center a'la stock library's as I feel it devalues the viewing experience, but I'm thinking that I may have to.What are your thoughts?

Your pictures can be easily uprezed and sharpened then printed. I printed a couple at 8.5 x 11 they look great, could put them on the wall or make them a little smaller and put them in a 3 photo picture frame since some of your pictures are themed. Why would anyone buy them if they can just pull them off computer and put the strait on their wall.

Lol and I just asked you to do it I should have read down first
Thanks for letting me know
What would be your advise to make it harder/crappyier result for saving from the website?

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads