Sony a7r RAW is a beast!

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
JohnBee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,970
Like?
Sony a7r RAW is a beast!
10 months ago

I've had the pleasure of working with some of Imaging Resources A7R RAW samples over the past few days and I'm blown away at the sheer latitude that can be had in these files. That being said, what's interesting with this is where the A7R apparently has the same sensor as the D800E, though for some unknown reason, I am able to consistently pull more detail out of the red channel with the A7R than with the D800E file.

On the IQ side of things, the A7R essentially becomes an NEX version of the D800E. Which can be a huge thing for landscape shooters like myself.

Whatever the case, for this test, I decided to pit the A7R against the infamous 645D which I find to have unsurpassed RGB performance in a digital body under 10K. And so to help achieve this, I chose to uprez the A7R as close as I could without compromising on pixel quality.

Pentax 645D Thumbnail

Sony A7R Thumbnail

View full size images here:
Pentax 645D Full size image
Sony A7R Full size image

Nikon D800E Pentax 645D Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,676
Like?
Re: Sony a7r RAW is a beast!
In reply to JohnBee, 10 months ago

To my eye the A7r seems to consistently have the crisper detail.

But of course the lenses are not the same. This could explain part of the difference.

For sharpness in well-exposed areas, the Sigmas also seem to be very close, but their shadow detail is poor.

I think Sony have a good camera there.

The only possible problem is the lack of the electronic first curtain. To test whether this causes vibration, test with a little dish of water balanced on the hot shoe of the A7 and A7r. On a long exposure, a reflection of a lamp in the water will vibrate at the start of the exposure if there is vibration then.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ApertureAcolyte
Contributing MemberPosts: 875Gear list
Like?
Too bad the lens system is overpriced crap.(nt)
In reply to JohnBee, 10 months ago

JohnBee wrote:

I've had the pleasure of working with some of Imaging Resources A7R RAW samples over the past few days and I'm blown away at the sheer latitude that can be had in these files. That being said, what's interesting with this is where the A7R apparently has the same sensor as the D800E, though for some unknown reason, I am able to consistently pull more detail out of the red channel with the A7R than with the D800E file.

On the IQ side of things, the A7R essentially becomes an NEX version of the D800E. Which can be a huge thing for landscape shooters like myself.

Whatever the case, for this test, I decided to pit the A7R against the infamous 645D which I find to have unsurpassed RGB performance in a digital body under 10K. And so to help achieve this, I chose to uprez the A7R as close as I could without compromising on pixel quality.

Pentax 645D Thumbnail

Sony A7R Thumbnail

Sony A7R Full size image

ApertureAcolyte's gear list:ApertureAcolyte's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +1 more
The Lotus Eater
Regular MemberPosts: 317Gear list
Like?
Re: Too bad the lens system is overpriced crap.(nt)
In reply to ApertureAcolyte, 10 months ago

I look forward to seeing the image samples from the tests you have carried out.

The Lotus Eater's gear list:The Lotus Eater's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +8 more
Jonas B
Forum ProPosts: 14,596
Like?
Hello there AA

ApertureAcolyte wrote: (nothing but a well educated and intelligent topic line)

Yesterday, and now again, I returned to the DPR forums for the first time in a month. It's fascinating seeing that there is no end to all sorts of stupid comments.

Here we have a guy posting in this forum for the very first time, broadcasting one single sentence and he manages to use the words "bad", "overpriced" and "crap" in it. Way to go sir! Not many goes directly to the ignore list the way you just did.

Bye,

Jonas

Cheepnis
Regular MemberPosts: 164
Like?
Re: Hello there AA
In reply to Jonas B, 10 months ago

Jonas B wrote:

Yesterday, and now again, I returned to the DPR forums for the first time in a month. It's fascinating seeing that there is no end to all sorts of stupid comments.

Here we have a guy posting in this forum for the very first time, broadcasting one single sentence and he manages to use the words "bad", "overpriced" and "crap" in it. Way to go sir! Not many goes directly to the ignore list the way you just did.

Bye,

Jonas

Yep, I took a quick look at his previous contributions to the forums and came to the conclusion that with a click on the "ignore" button nothing of value was lost.

sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,459
Like?

AA's contributions to discussions cannot be understated.

It's likely the "overpriced crap" lens that is responsible for the incremental detail improvement the A7r appears to enjoy over the D800E and other cameras in Imaging Resources tests. The Sony FE55/1.8 ZA lens on paper is a stunning lens and sample after sample already indicate that in real life it's going to be one of those special lenses one can mount in front of a camera.

Last Thursday I had the opportunity to shoot the A7r and FE55 and immediately the lens left a favorable impression. AF was fast and accurate and quiet. The out of focus area rendering is outstanding. Performance of this lens looks to my eye notably better than a classic all manual focus Zeiss ZM50/2 Planar rangefinder lens which I've owned in the past. It's relatively small, feels good on the camera, and weighs very little.

There's at least five sets of criteria where I have found the lens to be better than other mid-focal length lenses I've used... and the lens isn't even priced stupidly.

Over priced? If the FE55 @999$ is over-priced, then the plastic feeling Nikkor 58/1.4 @1700$ is almost doubly so and the nice metal build but no higher performing Leica Summilux 50/1.4 ASPH 4 times so at $4000.

turnstyle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,571
Like?
In reply to sroute, 10 months ago

sroute wrote:

Over priced? If the FE55 @999$ is over-priced, then the plastic feeling Nikkor 58/1.4 @1700$ is almost doubly so and the nice metal build but no higher performing Leica Summilux 50/1.4 ASPH 4 times so at $4000.

1) Ron Scheffler's tests (which might not be 100% informative for two reasons: 1. his adapter focuses past infinity, and 2. he used A7 rather than A7r)

2) And the following shots from Camera Labs:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_Alpha_A7r/sample_images.shtml

3) And the wild MTFs (even though they are calculated rather than measured)

All this has indeed left me quite interested to see how good the FE55 proves to be.

SDF
SDF
Senior MemberPosts: 2,131Gear list
Like?

Typical Olympus fanboy response. Just ignore him.

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

Pentax 645D Thumbnail

Sony A7R Thumbnail

Sony A7R Full size image

SDF's gear list:SDF's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +3 more
Emacs23
Regular MemberPosts: 426Gear list
Like?
In reply to D Cox, 10 months ago

D Cox wrote:

But of course the lenses are not the same. This could explain part of the difference.

For sharpness in well-exposed areas, the Sigmas also seem to be very close, but their shadow detail is poor.

The only possible problem is the lack of the electronic first curtain. To test whether this causes vibration, test with a little dish of water balanced on the hot shoe of the A7 and A7r. On a long exposure, a reflection of a lamp in the water will vibrate at the start of the exposure if there is vibration then.

A7r's file is slightly more sharpened.

Emacs23's gear list:Emacs23's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Leica Super-Elmar-M 18mm f/3.8 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +3 more
Carbon111
Contributing MemberPosts: 533Gear list
Like?

Indeed! The samples I've seen bear out the stunning MTF charts for the Sony 55 and the 35. I think they're *cheap* for the quality received! I shoot mostly Leica and would say these two primes are in the same class...though priced for thousands less.

The 35mm f/2.8 is a bargain I think...as well as being *plenty fast* on FF. I think many APS-C shooters have no clue about f/2.8 glass DOF and light-gathering ability on full frame. One of my favorite 50s on my M9 and Zeiss Ikon is the Leica 50mm collapsible f/2.8 Elmar-M. Despite the fact I have faster glass...I just really love the way the Elmar renders!

-- hide signature --

Best Regards, James
http://carbon111.blogspot.com

Carbon111's gear list:Carbon111's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7 Leica Summarit-M 35mm f/2.5 Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summarit-M 75mm f/2.5 +10 more
ET2
ET2
Senior MemberPosts: 3,772Gear list
Like?

Jonas B wrote:

ApertureAcolyte looks like another M4/3 fanbo. Wondering if it's someone's puppet account again (though not sure yet).

shaolin95
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029Gear list
Like?

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

I guess your post is better because its only FREE CRAP.
Reported and welcome to my ignore list retard.

shaolin95's gear list:shaolin95's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +14 more
Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,847
Like?

Too bad DPR caved and took away the thumbs down option soon after it was added.   It would have been a great start to a system that would have allowed DPR to better manage the forums.   Sure, some would abuse the system but no more than they already do with the thumbs up option.

JohnBee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,970
Like?
In reply to Emacs23, 10 months ago

You have a good eye. And the reason the A7R is slightly sharper is where I was able to apply a delbur to the A7R, whereas the 645D resulted in artifacts. And so from this perspective, the A7R held an advantage over the MF file.

Hope this helps.

Emacs23 wrote:

D Cox wrote:

A7r's file is slightly more sharpened.

-- hide signature --

This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

TiagoReil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,507Gear list
Like?

Wow! If this is what the A7r generates in a M43s fanboy, then this is an incredible camera. To generate so much insecurity in you that you need to make one line comments. It is funny and sad at the same time.

TiagoReil's gear list:TiagoReil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads