The worst thing about the DF is the Disappointment

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Leif Goodwin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,390Gear list
Like?
Re: Not again, what?
In reply to Hulamike, 9 months ago

Hulamike wrote:

Ask your parents about the Marshall plan.

I am aware of the Marshall plan, and yes you make a good point. America is not all bad, or not all good, like most things in life reality is mixed. There is of course much to admire about the place. I tend to get a bit flustered though when people refer to America as 'the global policeman' or say that "we saved your bacon in WW2'.

-- hide signature --

______________________________
Warning: this forum may contain nuts.
www.leifgoodwin.co.uk

 Leif Goodwin's gear list:Leif Goodwin's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ragspix
Contributing MemberPosts: 636
Like?
Re: Not again, what?
In reply to Leif Goodwin, 9 months ago

Leif Goodwin wrote:

Hulamike wrote:

Says the man whose country is ruled by a medieval queen.

Actually she is only a figurehead with ceremonial duties and no real power.

All Britain did was pass the mantle to the United States. I just wish we could dish it off to someone else, maybe China. Let them police the world for a change.

The conceit of Americans that they police the world is no more than a cover for naked self interest. It is an absurd distortion of reality.

True, the alternative is we could try to come in and take over the country like western Europe used to do - UK included

You happily support oppressive regimes when it suits you. You only entered WW2 when Germany and Japan declared war on you,

True, there were a lot of US "isolationists" who didn't want to get involved

and would have been happy to see Britain and Europe fall to the Nazis.

that's fugging untrue as I recall - I was there ...

And in the meantime the American economy was booming selling weapons to us.

US had gas rationing food was in very short supply (the economy was not booming) and Americans sent sons to die on a foreign soil (I lost my godfather) using money invested in war bonds by my parents and others, you fugging ingrate...

We were no better of course, invading Africa under the pretext that Africans were not civilised enough to look after themselves.

It had nothing to do with civilized, it was exploiting their resources. After '45 the colonizing nations had guilty feelings and freed their colonies and part of the payment was relaxed immigration towards the colonized - who now are large minorities in western Europe. Some of these minorities as you know have changed the cultures in some areas and have taken political control.

Hmmm...... chickens coming home to roost?

It will be China's turn next to exercise power.

-- hide signature --

______________________________
Warning: this forum may contain nuts.
www.leifgoodwin.co.uk

Yup, you pushed my hot button

Rags

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Nikon's demise???? What are you talking about?
In reply to raztec, 9 months ago

raztec wrote:

You do realise it is only a camera i.e. a consumer product? I can't understand why people polarise into two factions having childish arguments. Why?

Fanboys are as much to blame for Nikon's demise, as Nikon execs are.

Nikon's demise? Nikon and Canon are the two top selling camera companies in the world so I'm not sure what demise are you talking about.

Those who have heavily invested in Nikon glass are justifiably irate.

Irate at what? That Nikon now has 4 or 5 excellent APS-C DSLRs including the class leading D7100 and 4 superb FF DSLRs priced at $1995 and up? That Nikon created a digital version of a classic Nikon manual camera but also gave it full compatibility with AF Nikkors? No offense, but what are you even talking about?

You have been conspicuously slamming the Df, calling it things like "a joke", "a fake" and "the last gasp of a dying company".

You don't even appear to shoot FF, but you have been going out of your way to criticize a camera that you haven't tried and have no intention of buying.

And after all this vitriol directed at Nikon as a company and the Df, you want to come onto Nikon FX forum talking about "fanboys are to blame for Nikon's demise". What on earth are you even talking about?

 marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Leif Goodwin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,390Gear list
Like?
Re: Not again, what?
In reply to ragspix, 9 months ago

ragspix wrote:

Leif Goodwin wrote:

Hulamike wrote:

Says the man whose country is ruled by a medieval queen.

Actually she is only a figurehead with ceremonial duties and no real power.

All Britain did was pass the mantle to the United States. I just wish we could dish it off to someone else, maybe China. Let them police the world for a change.

The conceit of Americans that they police the world is no more than a cover for naked self interest. It is an absurd distortion of reality.

True, the alternative is we could try to come in and take over the country like western Europe used to do - UK included

You happily support oppressive regimes when it suits you. You only entered WW2 when Germany and Japan declared war on you,

True, there were a lot of US "isolationists" who didn't want to get involved

and would have been happy to see Britain and Europe fall to the Nazis.

that's fugging untrue as I recall - I was there ...

Actually American many politicians wanted to engage in the war, but the public were against it, preferring to carry on their own peaceful lives. If you recall, Britain declared war on Germany to defend Europe, something your country was not willing to do until its hand was forced. Even then, many British people wanted to leave mainland Europe to the Nazis.

And in the meantime the American economy was booming selling weapons to us.

US had gas rationing food was in very short supply (the economy was not booming) and Americans sent sons to die on a foreign soil (I lost my godfather) using money invested in war bonds by my parents and others, you fugging ingrate...

I won't resort to your level of personal abuse.

Manufacturing industry was doing well. America entered the way only when two countries declared war on her.

We were no better of course, invading Africa under the pretext that Africans were not civilised enough to look after themselves.

It had nothing to do with civilized, it was exploiting their resources.

I thought that was obvious hence I did not state it explicitly. They argued that they were bringing God and education to them, but they were of course stealing their wealth, even though many were very decent well meaning people.

After '45 the colonizing nations had guilty feelings and freed their colonies and part of the payment was relaxed immigration towards the colonized - who now are large minorities in western Europe.

Sadly not, Britain was so weakened by the war effort that it could not realistically hold on to its territories. In fact the process of decolonisation was already in train before WW2 due to a weakening of the power of Britain. Thus India declared independence, and sadly huge numbers of people died in the ensuing partition. That said, Indians I have spoken to have mixed feelings about Britain. They recognise good aspects of the British administration, whilst acknowledging the many wrongs.

One side effect is that many Indians are educated in English, and many of those now work in software, which has been offshored from America to India, thanks in part to the language skills of the staff.

However, you cannot realistically condemn Europe for its often bloody Imperialism when your country involved what often amounted to a genocide against its indigeneous culture. And of course America in the latter half of the twentieth century onwards has often acted against the democratic will in many countries. Whilst I could mention the positive intervention of America to prevent atrocities by Serbia, I could also mention the slaughter in Iraq.

Some of these minorities as you know have changed the cultures in some areas and have taken political control.

I'm not sure what that means. It sounds vaguely racist. I grew up in a town with many East African Asians, who contribute to this country, and rightly have a say in the democratic process.

Hmmm...... chickens coming home to roost?

It will be China's turn next to exercise power.

-- hide signature --

______________________________
Warning: this forum may contain nuts.
www.leifgoodwin.co.uk

Yup, you pushed my hot button

It is better to think without red mist.

Rags

-- hide signature --

______________________________
Warning: this forum may contain nuts.
www.leifgoodwin.co.uk

 Leif Goodwin's gear list:Leif Goodwin's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kodachrome200
Contributing MemberPosts: 756Gear list
Like?
Re: Is there a place for a MF only Df?
In reply to Lance B, 9 months ago

Your mistaken. todays viewfinders are birghter thats the problem. we our trading focus pop and focusing aids for brightness. makes sense in most cameras, not in the DF

Lance B wrote:

I hear many lamenting the "big bright viewfinders" found in the old film cameras and I must say that I agree that it would be nice to experience that again. However, with the advent of auto focus and their associated requirements, we can no longer expect the big bright VF of old. So, maybe there is a case for a manual focus only version of the Df? Amongst the issues that face auto focus VFs, this would mean that the mirror would not need to be half opaque for the AF module and all the light would go to a big bright VF.

The problem is, hoa many would actually buy one?

 Kodachrome200's gear list:Kodachrome200's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Leif Goodwin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,390Gear list
Like?
Re: Repeating nonsense doesnt make it true
In reply to raztec, 9 months ago

raztec wrote:

You do realise it is only a camera i.e. a consumer product? I can't understand why people polarise into two factions having childish arguments. Why?

It seems extremely silly I agree. However, you have to understand that there are a lot of people who have invested heavily in Nikon glass who are let down again and again and again by Nikon's marketing department.

But the marketing department is only responding to fanboys who have more money than taste or discretion. So, it's these fanboys who chase mpx and useless knobs to mask their insecurity that create this market which allows Nikon to put less than their best foot forward.

But we know Nikon can do better, like the D300 or the D700 (except for the 95% viewfinder). But what they hell are they doing putting a 39 pt AF that covers such a small area in the D600, or dropping the AF button? etc. etc.

Fanboys are as much to blame for Nikon's demise, as Nikon execs are. Those who have heavily invested in Nikon glass are justifiably irate.

Raz

Really? I have a significant investment in Nikon lenses, and I don't squeal like a spoilt child who has not received the Christmas present he wanted. In fact I marvel at the quality of modern cameras. The D600 is incredible. Yes I would like other products, but hey, the presents on the Nikon tree ain't too shabby.

Incidentally, I remember when Nikon really was doing badly, with nothing to match many of Canon's lenses and cameras. No tilt shift. Limited AFS. Limited VR. Weak (in terms of high ISO) bodies. No FF.

-- hide signature --

______________________________
Warning: this forum may contain nuts.
www.leifgoodwin.co.uk

 Leif Goodwin's gear list:Leif Goodwin's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ragspix
Contributing MemberPosts: 636
Like?
Re: Not again, what?
In reply to Leif Goodwin, 9 months ago

Leif Goodwin wrote:

ragspix wrote:

Leif Goodwin wrote:

Hulamike wrote:

Says the man whose country is ruled by a medieval queen.

Actually she is only a figurehead with ceremonial duties and no real power.

All Britain did was pass the mantle to the United States. I just wish we could dish it off to someone else, maybe China. Let them police the world for a change.

The conceit of Americans that they police the world is no more than a cover for naked self interest. It is an absurd distortion of reality.

True, the alternative is we could try to come in and take over the country like western Europe used to do - UK included

You happily support oppressive regimes when it suits you. You only entered WW2 when Germany and Japan declared war on you,

True, there were a lot of US "isolationists" who didn't want to get involved

and would have been happy to see Britain and Europe fall to the Nazis.

that's fugging untrue as I recall - I was there ...

Actually American many politicians wanted to engage in the war, but the public were against it, preferring to carry on their own peaceful lives. If you recall, Britain declared war on Germany to defend Europe

You mean to defend themselves

, something your country was not willing to do until its hand was forced

That is almost correct, US declared war on Japan because of Pearl Harbor

. Even then, many British people wanted to leave mainland Europe to the Nazis.

And in the meantime the American economy was booming selling weapons to us.

US had gas rationing food was in very short supply (the economy was not booming) and Americans sent sons to die on a foreign soil (I lost my godfather) using money invested in war bonds by my parents and others, you fugging ingrate...

I won't resort to your level of personal abuse.

I will and I do. BTW, did you serve your country? (I did)

Manufacturing industry was doing well.

They were forced to change everything to a war mobolization effort

America entered the way only when two countries declared war on her.

We were no better of course, invading Africa under the pretext that Africans were not civilised enough to look after themselves.

It had nothing to do with civilized, it was exploiting their resources.

I thought that was obvious hence I did not state it explicitly. They argued that they were bringing God and education to them, but they were of course stealing their wealth, even though many were very decent well meaning people.

After '45 the colonizing nations had guilty feelings and freed their colonies and part of the payment was relaxed immigration towards the colonized - who now are large minorities in western Europe.

Sadly not, Britain was so weakened by the war effort that it could not realistically hold on to its territories. In fact the process of decolonisation was already in train before WW2 due to a weakening of the power of Britain. Thus India declared independence, and sadly huge numbers of people died in the ensuing partition.

That was neither Britain's or US fault, all local politics

That said, Indians I have spoken to have mixed feelings about Britain. They recognise good aspects of the British administration, whilst acknowledging the many wrongs.

One side effect is that many Indians are educated in English, and many of those now work in software, which has been offshored from America to India, thanks in part to the language skills of the staff.

Fair enough, they took the best opportunity where they saw it, it just happened to be in the US

However, you cannot realistically condemn Europe for its often bloody Imperialism when your country involved what often amounted to a genocide against its indigeneous culture. And of course America in the latter half of the twentieth century onwards has often acted against the democratic will in many countries. Whilst I could mention the positive intervention of America to prevent atrocities by Serbia, I could also mention the slaughter in Iraq.

Some of these minorities as you know have changed the cultures in some areas and have taken political control.

I'm not sure what that means. It sounds vaguely racist. I grew up in a town with many East African Asians, who contribute to this country, and rightly have a say in the democratic process.

Actually it's ethnist

Hmmm...... chickens coming home to roost?

It will be China's turn next to exercise power.

-- hide signature --

______________________________
Warning: this forum may contain nuts.
www.leifgoodwin.co.uk

Yup, you pushed my hot button

It is better to think without red mist.

I'll determine how best to think, thank you

Rags

-- hide signature --

______________________________
Warning: this forum may contain nuts.
www.leifgoodwin.co.uk

Happy Veterans Day to you sir....

Rags

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sandy b
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,180Gear list
Like?
Re: Not again, what?
In reply to Leif Goodwin, 9 months ago

I guess we learned well from our fore fathers. We are you. And I am personally glad theat the British and Americans remain staunch allies, and may we all learn from our mistakes.

http://www.opinion-maker.org/2012/12/british-colonial-war-crimes/

As you mentioned there are an equal amount of dispicable American actions.

Last comment on this off topic subject, I suggest it move to the open area if any future discussion is needed. I think I'm done rehashing history in a camera forum.

 sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chris G Hughes
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?
Re: Not again, what?
In reply to sandy b, 9 months ago

Wow. You guys and gals are hilarious. I made one comment, mainly for the same of humor, the gist of which was that we here in the states are CHILDREN and look what you've turned it into! YES, I know what the assumption I made was. YES, I knew I was making it when I made it. YES, I made it for comic effect. NO, it was not intended as an insult or to suggest that 'postrophe 'merica is better than anywhere else or that I genuinely think that the only people posting here are from the US or any of the other foolish things that many of you have spent pages and pages blathering about. So, after pointing out the amazing and delicious irony of the cluster F resulting from my comment, which was itself a reaction to an incredible cluster F going on over the Df, here is a revised statement that's sure to satisfy you children... And then set off an even larger cluster F no doubt:

I'm amazed at how infantilized the WHOLE WORLD has become.

Better now? Are we all feeling better? Shall we all hold hands? United Colors of Beneton style in our new found unity over being called CHILDREN by some anonymous guy on the Internet?

Sheesh!

 Chris G Hughes's gear list:Chris G Hughes's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sandy b
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,180Gear list
Like?
Re: Not again, what?
In reply to Chris G Hughes, 9 months ago

Sorry, I didn't even know you were involved, I jumped in with Leif. If it makes you feel better, I grant you absolution.

 sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Leif Goodwin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,390Gear list
Like?
Re: Not again, what?
In reply to ragspix, 9 months ago

ragspix wrote:

Leif Goodwin wrote:

ragspix wrote:

Leif Goodwin wrote:

Hulamike wrote:

Says the man whose country is ruled by a medieval queen.

Actually she is only a figurehead with ceremonial duties and no real power.

All Britain did was pass the mantle to the United States. I just wish we could dish it off to someone else, maybe China. Let them police the world for a change.

The conceit of Americans that they police the world is no more than a cover for naked self interest. It is an absurd distortion of reality.

True, the alternative is we could try to come in and take over the country like western Europe used to do - UK included

You happily support oppressive regimes when it suits you. You only entered WW2 when Germany and Japan declared war on you,

True, there were a lot of US "isolationists" who didn't want to get involved

and would have been happy to see Britain and Europe fall to the Nazis.

that's fugging untrue as I recall - I was there ...

Actually American many politicians wanted to engage in the war, but the public were against it, preferring to carry on their own peaceful lives. If you recall, Britain declared war on Germany to defend Europe

You mean to defend themselves

No. Britain was very weak at the outset of the war. We had started rearming but could not match Germany which rearmed contrary to the Armistice. We were forced to flee leaving behind in Europe huge quantities of weapons and vehicles until we could rearm and fight back later. The Normandy landings were I think thanks largely to American money but included many nations.

, something your country was not willing to do until its hand was forced

That is almost correct, US declared war on Japan because of Pearl Harbor

Was not Pearl Harbor a declaration of war?

. Even then, many British people wanted to leave mainland Europe to the Nazis.

And in the meantime the American economy was booming selling weapons to us.

US had gas rationing food was in very short supply (the economy was not booming) and Americans sent sons to die on a foreign soil (I lost my godfather) using money invested in war bonds by my parents and others, you fugging ingrate...

I won't resort to your level of personal abuse.

I will and I do. BTW, did you serve your country? (I did)

Manufacturing industry was doing well.

They were forced to change everything to a war mobolization effort

America entered the way only when two countries declared war on her.

We were no better of course, invading Africa under the pretext that Africans were not civilised enough to look after themselves.

It had nothing to do with civilized, it was exploiting their resources.

I thought that was obvious hence I did not state it explicitly. They argued that they were bringing God and education to them, but they were of course stealing their wealth, even though many were very decent well meaning people.

After '45 the colonizing nations had guilty feelings and freed their colonies and part of the payment was relaxed immigration towards the colonized - who now are large minorities in western Europe.

Sadly not, Britain was so weakened by the war effort that it could not realistically hold on to its territories. In fact the process of decolonisation was already in train before WW2 due to a weakening of the power of Britain. Thus India declared independence, and sadly huge numbers of people died in the ensuing partition.

That was neither Britain's or US fault, all local politics

I am not a historian but I think Britain left a power vacuum, and basically left rather than helping create a stable transition.

That said, Indians I have spoken to have mixed feelings about Britain. They recognise good aspects of the British administration, whilst acknowledging the many wrongs.

One side effect is that many Indians are educated in English, and many of those now work in software, which has been offshored from America to India, thanks in part to the language skills of the staff.

Fair enough, they took the best opportunity where they saw it, it just happened to be in the US

However, you cannot realistically condemn Europe for its often bloody Imperialism when your country involved what often amounted to a genocide against its indigeneous culture. And of course America in the latter half of the twentieth century onwards has often acted against the democratic will in many countries. Whilst I could mention the positive intervention of America to prevent atrocities by Serbia, I could also mention the slaughter in Iraq.

Some of these minorities as you know have changed the cultures in some areas and have taken political control.

I'm not sure what that means. It sounds vaguely racist. I grew up in a town with many East African Asians, who contribute to this country, and rightly have a say in the democratic process.

Actually it's ethnist

Hmmm...... chickens coming home to roost?

It will be China's turn next to exercise power.

-- hide signature --

______________________________
Warning: this forum may contain nuts.
www.leifgoodwin.co.uk

Yup, you pushed my hot button

It is better to think without red mist.

I'll determine how best to think, thank you

Rags

-- hide signature --

______________________________
Warning: this forum may contain nuts.
www.leifgoodwin.co.uk

Happy Veterans Day to you sir...

What many of the young do not realise is the debt that we owe to those who fought to preserve freedom in the west, if not in Eastern Europe.

Today is for us Armistice day, commemorating the end of the war to end all wars. Sadly the unjust peace gave rise to Nazism.

Rags

-- hide signature --

______________________________
Warning: this forum may contain nuts.
www.leifgoodwin.co.uk

 Leif Goodwin's gear list:Leif Goodwin's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Leif Goodwin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,390Gear list
Like?
Re: Not again, what?
In reply to sandy b, 9 months ago

sandy b wrote:

I guess we learned well from our fore fathers. We are you. And I am personally glad theat the British and Americans remain staunch allies, and may we all learn from our mistakes.

http://www.opinion-maker.org/2012/12/british-colonial-war-crimes/

As you mentioned there are an equal amount of dispicable American actions.

Last comment on this off topic subject, I suggest it move to the open area if any future discussion is needed. I think I'm done rehashing history in a camera forum.

Yes, this forum is for Df arguments.... 

-- hide signature --

______________________________
Warning: this forum may contain nuts.
www.leifgoodwin.co.uk

 Leif Goodwin's gear list:Leif Goodwin's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chris G Hughes
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?
Re: Not again, what?
In reply to sandy b, 9 months ago

sandy b wrote:

Sorry, I didn't even know you were involved, I jumped in with Leif. If it makes you feel better, I grant you absolution.

Thank you. And to be 100% clear, my comment was general. Not directed at you or any other member of the board specifically and was itself intended mainly for comic effect.

It's best to keep it light, peeps. I think my inclusion of "by Odin's beard" in my first post comment probably made that obvious...

 Chris G Hughes's gear list:Chris G Hughes's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Saffron_Blaze
Contributing MemberPosts: 593Gear list
Like?
Re: The worst thing about the DF is the Disappointment
In reply to Kodachrome200, 9 months ago

TL:DR

Only disappointed the Df is not a valid D700 replacement due to the preponderance of the consumer grade components.

The price of the Df just makes me chuckle.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pallke
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?
Sorry, but... I'm not disappointed at all.
In reply to michaeladawson, 9 months ago

I will buy one and I am very happy.

-- hide signature --

best regards
Pallke

 Pallke's gear list:Pallke's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
raztec
Regular MemberPosts: 398Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon's demise???? What are you talking about?
In reply to marike6, 9 months ago

marike6 wrote:

raztec wrote:

You do realise it is only a camera i.e. a consumer product? I can't understand why people polarise into two factions having childish arguments. Why?

Fanboys are as much to blame for Nikon's demise, as Nikon execs are.

Nikon's demise? Nikon and Canon are the two top selling camera companies in the world so I'm not sure what demise are you talking about.

Look at the Nikon financials lately?

You think the V1 and J1 were right decisions? Not sure, but judging by your fanboy fanaticism I bet you supported that all the way.

The Df is for Diehard fanboys like you. It's a classic con job for poseurs complete with unnecessary non-functional dials and lens to match. If you can't see that, you're blind. And Nikon is counting on people like you to keep them in business.

Yes, fanboys and poseurs are responsible for Nikon's demise. They cater to your tastes which ends up dragging them to the bottom.

 raztec's gear list:raztec's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Leif Goodwin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,390Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon's demise???? What are you talking about?
In reply to raztec, 9 months ago

raztec wrote:

marike6 wrote:

raztec wrote:

You do realise it is only a camera i.e. a consumer product? I can't understand why people polarise into two factions having childish arguments. Why?

Fanboys are as much to blame for Nikon's demise, as Nikon execs are.

Nikon's demise? Nikon and Canon are the two top selling camera companies in the world so I'm not sure what demise are you talking about.

Look at the Nikon financials lately?

You think the V1 and J1 were right decisions? Not sure, but judging by your fanboy fanaticism I bet you supported that all the way.

The Df is for Diehard fanboys like you. It's a classic con job for poseurs complete with unnecessary non-functional dials and lens to match. If you can't see that, you're blind. And Nikon is counting on people like you to keep them in business.

Yes, fanboys and poseurs are responsible for Nikon's demise. They cater to your tastes which ends up dragging them to the bottom.

I think your post is very silly, but I like 'Diehard fanboy', I hope that sticks.

-- hide signature --

______________________________
Warning: this forum may contain nuts.
www.leifgoodwin.co.uk

 Leif Goodwin's gear list:Leif Goodwin's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fogsville
Contributing MemberPosts: 519
Like?
Re: Not again, what?
In reply to Chris G Hughes, 9 months ago

Chris G Hughes wrote:

Wow. You guys and gals are hilarious. I made one comment, mainly for the same of humor, the gist of which was that we here in the states are CHILDREN and look what you've turned it into! YES, I know what the assumption I made was. YES, I knew I was making it when I made it. YES, I made it for comic effect. NO, it was not intended as an insult or to suggest that 'postrophe 'merica is better than anywhere else or that I genuinely think that the only people posting here are from the US or any of the other foolish things that many of you have spent pages and pages blathering about. So, after pointing out the amazing and delicious irony of the cluster F resulting from my comment, which was itself a reaction to an incredible cluster F going on over the Df, here is a revised statement that's sure to satisfy you children... And then set off an even larger cluster F no doubt:

I'm amazed at how infantilized the WHOLE WORLD has become.

Better now? Are we all feeling better? Shall we all hold hands? United Colors of Beneton style in our new found unity over being called CHILDREN by some anonymous guy on the Internet?

Sheesh!

Ouch. Speaking of wars, this is how they start.

How about trying humility and sincerity instead (?) It usually tends to be a lot more effective. Instead of being the 'tough guy' and make disparaging and belittling comments as part the explanation, why not just say "hey folks, sorry if I sounded like I was being geocentric, I actually didn't mean it that way at all." (?)

Humility can be stronger than bellicosity, and it's not about the "United Colors of Benetton." It's not easy to practice modesty and humility (I need to exercise it more myself, too), and it takes a lot more strength than most 'tough guys' can muster. But in the end it makes for a much more pleasant and mature atmosphere. It's also more positive and productive. We all need to work on it no matter where we come from.......

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,861Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon's demise???? What are you talking about?
In reply to raztec, 9 months ago

raztec wrote:

marike6 wrote:

raztec wrote:

You do realise it is only a camera i.e. a consumer product? I can't understand why people polarise into two factions having childish arguments. Why?

Fanboys are as much to blame for Nikon's demise, as Nikon execs are.

Nikon's demise? Nikon and Canon are the two top selling camera companies in the world so I'm not sure what demise are you talking about.

Look at the Nikon financials lately?

And that proves what? Nikon and Canon are the two top DSLR systems in the world. Period. But the market is shifting and both companies will have to adapt.

You think the V1 and J1 were right decisions? Not sure, but judging by your fanboy fanaticism I bet you supported that all the way.

Nope. And I think Canon blew it with the G15 and G16 as well as the hilarious rebadging of the T4i as the T5i. But guess what? Nikon and Canon's failures are quantifiably rare and all of the cameras we don't like are still very good. All have their fans.

The Df is for Diehard fanboys like you. It's a classic con job for poseurs complete with unnecessary non-functional dials and lens to match. If you can't see that, you're blind. And Nikon is counting on people like you to keep them in business.

If the Df truly has the same IQ as the D4, and the AF works as well or better than the D610, you're the only blind person here. The price will settle down and Nikon has to plan for that, which is one of the reasons for the initially high price. They also know a LOT of people will look at this as a perfect 2nd body. 100% right. Why would I ever choose a D800 or D610 for a second body when the Df actually expands the capabilities of my D800 kit?

If you can answer that sensibly go right ahead. But it's hard to take you seriously when your gear list proves you don't even own an FX camera. Get back to us when you've shot any event with D800 and D4; then we can talk.

Yes, fanboys and poseurs are responsible for Nikon's demise. They cater to your tastes which ends up dragging them to the bottom.

After I sold my D700 I bought a D800. That led to me selling my 5DII. I expected a camera to come about with a 15 MP FX sensor and a much smaller body, something better suited to event work. It didn't have to be a "kitchen sink" of top tech. The D600 was NOT that camera. It was nothing more than a poor man's D800, though I did like the smaller size.

Nikon surprised me by putting the D4 sensor into a camera selling for less than half the price. Because few people here own the D4 and D800 we only occasionally hear about the D4 IQ strengths, superior work flow and so on. Amateurs think the D4 is only about speed. But if you SEE what the D4 sensor does vs. D800 sensor at high ISO you will instantly "get it." Amazingly clean, even above 6400 with little PP needed, small files, fast work-flow with a lot of files. I'm not talking about NOISE, but color and DR. The sensor does it all more easily than a D800. At lower ISO my D800 is a beast and and like gold.

Not surprisingly you (and many others) don't really know about this. You stare at DXO charts and think "that's that." But there's much more to it when you actually shoot with these cameras.

The Df has the flagship D4 sensor in the smallest Nikon DSLR going. Likely YOU don't need or want one. I'd suggest a D800 first as I think the Df is a superior pick as a 2nd body. It fills a niche and Marike6 understands this. Calling him "fanboy" is not proving anything more than your lack of photographic knowledge.

Cheers,

Robert

 Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 27,031Gear list
Like?
Re: Is there a place for a MF only Df?
In reply to Kodachrome200, 9 months ago

Kodachrome200 wrote:

Your mistaken. todays viewfinders are birghter thats the problem. we our trading focus pop and focusing aids for brightness. makes sense in most cameras, not in the DF

I really don't thionk I am wrong. I just looked at my old film Pentax ME Super and it is bigger and brighter

Lance B wrote:

I hear many lamenting the "big bright viewfinders" found in the old film cameras and I must say that I agree that it would be nice to experience that again. However, with the advent of auto focus and their associated requirements, we can no longer expect the big bright VF of old. So, maybe there is a case for a manual focus only version of the Df? Amongst the issues that face auto focus VFs, this would mean that the mirror would not need to be half opaque for the AF module and all the light would go to a big bright VF.

The problem is, hoa many would actually buy one?

 Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads