The worst thing about the DF is the Disappointment

Started Nov 9, 2013 | Discussions
Kodachrome200
Contributing MemberPosts: 759Gear list
Like?
The worst thing about the DF is the Disappointment
Nov 9, 2013

So lots of folks have been calling the retro DF ill conceived but I dont think that is true. I think it was a staggeringly good idea they just forgot to include anything good about the idea in the actual camera.

The first time I ever shot an autofocus camera I immediately though "what is wrong with the viewfinder" . There was nothing wrong with the viewfinder but having only shot manual focus cameras up to that point i had always had manual focusing aids. It didnt hit me till then they woulddnt be included on a camera that had auto focus. Now I understand why. You get a brighter viewfinder. It probably is worth it in most cases too. But building a digital FM that had an available autofocus but had a great ground glass screen with microprisms and a split prism. It would allow for  photographers to better check the cameras focusing and would allow some of this fabulous manual focus glass out there to be much more realistically useful. The nikon FM was also a very small camera and that would have been a great value too. They should have made the camera just as small as was possible. this camera is not the smallest and lightest full frame dslr on the market. It should have been. There aslo really is no reason for its price. It could have been cheaper. The low end of the full frame market is where this camera could have been a hit.

Also at that price it should have shot video and surely should have got the 51pt AF system

It was none of those things witch the idea behind it promised. It was just a bit of styling on an overpriced camera

Kodachrome200's gear list:Kodachrome200's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +3 more
Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,962Gear list
Like?
Re: The worst thing about the DF is the Disappointment
In reply to Kodachrome200, Nov 9, 2013

Kodachrome200 wrote:

So lots of folks have been calling the retro DF ill conceived but I dont think that is true. I think it was a staggeringly good idea they just forgot to include anything good about the idea in the actual camera.

I agree.  I really want the retro Df idea.  I don't need the actual Df implementation.  It's incomplete.  I could care less about the cost.  But...  If you look at the specs of the Df and remove the retro styling/knobs it's a very nice camera on its own.  If I was in the market for a digital camera I might buy it.  But the expectation of many (most?) was that this was going to be a real retro camera.  I think you exaggerate when you say "forgot to include anything good about the idea" but I agree that it only went halfway towards the over-hyped expectations.

I've talked to people that look at the outside of the camera and say "yuck".  Most people don't want a retro looking body.  So you're dealing with a much smaller set of people that want this retro camera.  Nikon should have done a better job of meeting the expectations of this crowd.  And I leave price out of it.  I would pay a premium for a proper "manual era" execution.

The first time I ever shot an autofocus camera I immediately though "what is wrong with the viewfinder" . There was nothing wrong with the viewfinder but having only shot manual focus cameras up to that point i had always had manual focusing aids. It didnt hit me till then they woulddnt be included on a camera that had auto focus. Now I understand why. You get a brighter viewfinder. It probably is worth it in most cases too. But building a digital FM that had an available autofocus but had a great ground glass screen with microprisms and a split prism. It would allow for photographers to better check the cameras focusing and would allow some of this fabulous manual focus glass out there to be much more realistically useful. The nikon FM was also a very small camera and that would have been a great value too. They should have made the camera just as small as was possible. this camera is not the smallest and lightest full frame dslr on the market. It should have been. There aslo really is no reason for its price. It could have been cheaper. The low end of the full frame market is where this camera could have been a hit.

Also at that price it should have shot video and surely should have got the 51pt AF system

It was none of those things witch the idea behind it promised. It was just a bit of styling on an overpriced camera

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,492Gear list
Like?
In reply to michaeladawson, Nov 9, 2013

I do agree that depending on the green dot for manual focusing is not a good thing.  I remember my old slr Pentax cameras with the grid focusing screen where the image popped into focus.  Why can't a good focusing screen be designed into a modern camera?

I have to admit I do like the styling of the DF, but would have been nice to reduce the size down.  I used to buy the smallest slr's that were on the market for carrying in back of my vest in the woods, really nice.

Larry

Rolf_52
Regular MemberPosts: 274Gear list
Like?

The worst thing about Df are the whiners....if you don't like it appreciate the fact that there are many photographers who like it...I certainly like it and want one but don't know if I can afford it...

Rolf_52's gear list:Rolf_52's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D800E Nikon Df Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | S
Liviu Namolovan
Regular MemberPosts: 480
Like?

Well said, Sir.

raven900sx
Regular MemberPosts: 431
Like?
Re: The worst thing about the DF is the price
In reply to Liviu Namolovan, Nov 9, 2013

so far recommended retail price for the body only is NZ$4100 and $4500 with the 50mm lens.  I would love one but can not afford it at these prices

Hulamike
Senior MemberPosts: 2,810
Like?
Please Lord

Not again!

michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,962Gear list
Like?
Not again, what?
In reply to Hulamike, Nov 9, 2013

Hulamike wrote:

Not again!

You know, absolutely no one, repeat no one, is making you read these posts.

If you are referring specifically to my comments as opposed to the thread in general, then go take a hike.  I clearly state in my comment that the specs of this camera are fine for a DSLR.  This will be a fine digital camera and the D4 sensor is top notch.  Those buying this camera for its digital functionality will be getting a great camera.  But as a retro camera, IMO, it falls short in execution.  Contrary to the advertising...  It's not in my hands again.

We're all entitled to discuss this camera, pro and con, lovers and haters.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Chris G Hughes
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?
Re: Not again, what?

Good GOD, people! Enough with the utterly asinine belly aching about the Df. Buy it, don't buy it but please, by Odin's Beard, SHUT UP ABOUT IT. It's just another camera. It isn't a cure for cancer. It isn't a terrorist attack. It isn't anything of any significant consequence. Get a sense of perspective.

I swear. The infantilism of this country is embarrassing at times.

Chris G Hughes's gear list:Chris G Hughes's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
Mr Gadget
Senior MemberPosts: 1,859
Like?
In reply to Chris G Hughes, Nov 9, 2013

Chris G Hughes wrote:

Good GOD, people! Enough with the utterly asinine belly aching about the Df. Buy it, don't buy it but please, by Odin's Beard, SHUT UP ABOUT IT. It's just another camera. It isn't a cure for cancer. It isn't a terrorist attack. It isn't anything of any significant consequence. Get a sense of perspective.

Odin's Beard? Priceless! Thank you for the smile on my face. BTW: well said as well!

-- hide signature --

Conrad
---------------------------------------------------
Show Low, Arizona

turbsy
Contributing MemberPosts: 711Gear list
Like?

Chris G Hughes wrote:

Last time I checked this was a forum to talk about gear.  would it be better if all the posts were praising the DF?

if you don't like the thread then don't reply to it and it will disappear.

turbsy's gear list:turbsy's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +11 more
Eduardoo
Regular MemberPosts: 429Gear list
Like?

michaeladawson wrote:

Kodachrome200 wrote:

I agree. I really want the retro Df idea. I don't need the actual Df implementation. It's incomplete. I could care less about the cost. But... If you look at the specs of the Df and remove the retro styling/knobs it's a very nice camera on its own. If I was in the market for a digital camera I might buy it. But the expectation of many (most?) was that this was going to be a real retro camera. I think you exaggerate when you say "forgot to include anything good about the idea" but I agree that it only went halfway towards the over-hyped expectations.

I've talked to people that look at the outside of the camera and say "yuck". Most people don't want a retro looking body. So you're dealing with a much smaller set of people that want this retro camera. Nikon should have done a better job of meeting the expectations of this crowd. And I leave price out of it. I would pay a premium for a proper "manual era" execution.

The first time I ever shot an autofocus camera I immediately though "what is wrong with the viewfinder" . There was nothing wrong with the viewfinder but having only shot manual focus cameras up to that point i had always had manual focusing aids. It didnt hit me till then they woulddnt be included on a camera that had auto focus. Now I understand why. You get a brighter viewfinder. It probably is worth it in most cases too. But building a digital FM that had an available autofocus but had a great ground glass screen with microprisms and a split prism. It would allow for photographers to better check the cameras focusing and would allow some of this fabulous manual focus glass out there to be much more realistically useful. The nikon FM was also a very small camera and that would have been a great value too. They should have made the camera just as small as was possible. this camera is not the smallest and lightest full frame dslr on the market. It should have been. There aslo really is no reason for its price. It could have been cheaper. The low end of the full frame market is where this camera could have been a hit.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

+1

I am afraid Nikon won't produce the realy simple camera some of us want. We'll have to look elsewhere.

Kent J
Senior MemberPosts: 2,378Gear list
Like?

By Thor's Hammer! I believe I agree with you.
--
-Kent

Life is too short for slow glass.
www.kentjoostenphotography.smugmug.com

Kent J's gear list:Kent J's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +15 more
Chris G Hughes
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?
In reply to turbsy, Nov 9, 2013

turbsy wrote:

Chris G Hughes wrote:

Last time I checked this was a forum to talk about gear. would it be better if all the posts were praising the DF?

Discussing is one thing. I think you know that. What has been going on here is FAR beyond the innocent discussion you frame it as. Nice try though.

Chris G Hughes's gear list:Chris G Hughes's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,714Gear list
Like?

I'm not going to assume the focus screen used isn't good for MF lenses until I compare for myself. It's been reported the screen does work well with MF operation. It's too early to write this camera off IMHO.

BTW -none- of the dozens of MF cameras ever had a "focus aid", they did have a nice ground glass focus screen. Lack of focus aid <> doesn't work for MFing.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
Kodachrome200
Like?
In reply to Stacey_K, Nov 9, 2013

Stacey_K wrote:

I'm not going to assume the focus screen used isn't good for MF lenses until I compare for myself. It's been reported the screen does work well with MF operation. It's too early to write this camera off IMHO.

BTW -none- of the dozens of MF cameras ever had a "focus aid", they did have a nice ground glass focus screen. Lack of focus aid <> doesn't work for MFing.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Did not understand all of that but,

stacey we know it is not going to be a ground glass and it will not have microprisms or a split prism. its a typical fresnel focusing screen for an AF camera, this has already been announced and looked at by reviewers

Ricoh GR Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +3 more
Kodachrome200
Like?
????

Chris G Hughes wrote:

turbsy wrote:

Chris G Hughes wrote:

Last time I checked this was a forum to talk about gear. would it be better if all the posts were praising the DF?

Discussing is one thing. I think you know that. What has been going on here is FAR beyond the innocent discussion you frame it as. Nice try though.

???????

what is your problem. this has gone beyond innocent discussion? are you for real? Has it become sinister discussion? Your a piece of work. this is the first time i posted my opinion of the camera. Am i not entitled to my opinion?

your comment would be funny if it wasnt so paranoid

Leif Goodwin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,390Gear list
Like?
Re: The worst thing about your post is the Disappointment

I was so looking forward to your post. I expected it to be erudite, witty and informed. I hoped it would add to my life. But when it appeared it turned out to be just like all the other posts on this forum. And I had such high hopes. I'm hoping some other member can post exactly the thread I want.

By the way, is this forum always so utterly self obsessed?

-- hide signature --

Leif Goodwin's gear list:Leif Goodwin's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +4 more
Leif Goodwin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,390Gear list
Like?

Chris G Hughes wrote:

The infantilism of threads like this is embarrassing. 

-- hide signature --

Leif Goodwin's gear list:Leif Goodwin's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +4 more
Kodachrome200
Like?
What I don't understand...
In reply to Leif Goodwin, Nov 9, 2013

is why everyone who likes the Df feels compelled to whine of every post that someone who doesnt like it states there opinion. I dont know what is about a retro nikon that attracted all the woulds crybabies.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads