X-E2, got it, what a beast!

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
a l b e r t
Senior MemberPosts: 1,273Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E2, got it, what a beast!
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 8 months ago

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

Nice writeup - thanks for posting. The XE2 seems more of an upgrade over XE1 than I thought. I am inclined to wait to see waht XPro 2 is likely to be as I suspect it will be much larger upgrade.

Hence the delay.

Greg.

I think Fuji has a tall order to fill for the XPro2.  The competitor has upped the ante with Sony's introduction of A7/A7r.  The A7 is practically at the same price point when Fuji introduced the XPro1.  So either XPro2 will have to be cheaper by a few hundred dollars or it has to be much better with similar sensor performance level at the A7.  It means 24Mpix and better high ISO performance.  I don't see it happening unless Fuji has finished work with its organic sensor.

Awhile ago, there was a video posted on Youtube about someone testing a top secret Fuji X camera and Fuji has asked the testers to especially check out high ISO performance.  The video was taken down after Fuji's request.  It'd seem to me they're not testing the X-E2, as the high ISO performance is the same as X-E1.  So I'd think we should be seeing an entirely new sensor on the XPro2.

a l b e r t's gear list:a l b e r t's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Nikon D3S Fujifilm X-E1 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 1,912Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E2, got it, what a beast!
In reply to a l b e r t, 8 months ago

a l b e r t wrote:

Gave you a thumbs up too, thanks for sharing!

One quick question: how does the split image focus work? Any good?

Cheers

Deed

Pretty much the same as X100s. Personally, I prefer focus peak highlight. Fuji's implementation of focus peak gives you outline on the entire subject in focus. Where as focus peak on NEX only gives you the highlights on vertical contrast/edges only.

I never had an 100s so no idea what "the same" is ... sorry.

The reason why I am asking is that I find the focus peaking utterly useless on the X-E1. I can see the ants-brigade on some edges but find this not helpful when I use, say, a 105/2.5 Nikkor in manual mode, have tried to focus using the peaking, but get blurry images at best. Since I have used split screen in the past on Leicas and Voigtländer 35 cameras I was wondering whether this would work for me. At this stage it looks like I will have to go to a shotp and try this out for myself ...

Just wanted your opintion on this!

Cheers

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
a l b e r t
Like?
Re: Entirely agree
In reply to sgoldswo, 8 months ago

Mine turned up today, and armed with the 23mm lens it is lightning fast. It's slower with the 35 and the 60, but the 14 and the 18-55 also seem very fast. Unfortunately no new FW for the 18 or 27 at the minute. The camera is a hell of a lot faster too in use as is the viewfinder. The lag between pressing the shutter and taking the picture seems almost eliminated. Image quality is the same, but it's much more satisfying to use because the focus and lag issues have been addressed. Pair it with the face detection and you can shoot children easily with this camera.

One other point to note is that the wi-fi works really well, very impressed with it.

Nothing to show other than object around my house thus far, but looking forward to giving it a run next week.

Very interesting to compare this to my new E-M1. I expected the E-M1 (overall) to be the better camera (based on speed of use, functionality, focus, wifi etc, etc even if the X-E2 won for image quality). It's much, much closer than I thought. I need a couple of weeks to come to a view on this!

Congrats!

Try focusing on something with horizontal contrast.  Tell us if the E-M1 can lock focus on it.

I tested the wifi functionality and I too am impressed with it.  It was very quick to transfer photos to my iPhone.  Wifi is more useful than most people think as many photos sharing now happens on mobile devices using Whatsapp or Facebook.  It is especially when you have friends and relatives overseas.

Now, I think Fuji should work on making full remote control of the camera via wifi.  It'd be good if the entire menu can be remote controlled.

Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Nikon D3S Fujifilm X-E1 +7 more
griddi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,318Gear list
Like?
Re: x100 wife age 40. True age 50. X100s age 60. XE-2 age?
In reply to photo perzon, 8 months ago

photo perzon wrote:

X100 did not have the deep wrinkle contrast the X100s brought. How's the 2? The X100s brings shadows that are too strong, makes wrinkles deep.

I can not understand your fetish / problems you seems to have with cameras which make your wife older or younger looking, the fact is, she is 50 years old, so why not accept this ?

What does it matter if she looks 40-50 or 60 years old ?

Griddi.......

griddi's gear list:griddi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm XF1 Leica D-Lux 6 Fujifilm X20 +1 more
mark rupert
Regular MemberPosts: 257Gear list
Like?
Re: Same narrow exposure bracketing range? (nt)

This is a disappointing and rather puzzling spec. Still, with such an easily usable exposure comp dial, it shouldn’t be so hard to get a wide series of brackets semi-manually.

-- hide signature --

Mark

mark rupert's gear list:mark rupert's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
bigpigbig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,465Gear list
Like?
In reply to mark rupert, 8 months ago

mark rupert wrote:

This is a disappointing and rather puzzling spec. Still, with such an easily usable exposure comp dial, it shouldn’t be so hard to get a wide series of brackets semi-manually.

-- hide signature --

Mark

I mostly bracket for HDR and touching the camera between shots makes life difficult.

Let's hope Fuji releases firmware for the XE-1 and XE-2 to fix this.

bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
a l b e r t
Like?
Digital split image
In reply to deednets, 8 months ago

The reason why I am asking is that I find the focus peaking utterly useless on the X-E1. I can see the ants-brigade on some edges but find this not helpful when I use, say, a 105/2.5 Nikkor in manual mode, have tried to focus using the peaking, but get blurry images at best. Since I have used split screen in the past on Leicas and Voigtländer 35 cameras I was wondering whether this would work for me. At this stage it looks like I will have to go to a shotp and try this out for myself ...

Cheers

Deed

Search on Youtube, you should be able to find some videos on using the digital split image.

Frankly, I don't find it to be all that useful.  It is because the split image is in black and white.  So if you have subject that has low contrast or colors that turn out to have the same grey scale in the digital split, it'd be hard to to see the split as well.  Also, if the subject has mostly horizontal contrast, you'll have to rotate the camera 90 degs in order to see the split.  A more useful split would be something at 45 degs.  I think it is up to the user to choose b/w focus peak and digital split to see which one works better on the subject.

As for focus peak, Fuji still hasn't implemented the use of different colors for the highlight.  Also, they could use a stronger highlight for the focus peak.  On my NEX-6, I use red as I don't see subjects with red in everyday shooting so it is far more easy to judge instead of white.  The highlight is also stronger as well.

Another difficulty lies in using long focal length.  There is no IBIS, and you'll see lots of handshake movements in the EVF especially when the focus area is blown up on a 105mm lens.

a l b e r t
Like?
In reply to mark rupert, 8 months ago

mark rupert wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mark

Yes, I suppose one can set the exposure dial to -1EV and take 3 AE bracketing shots and then set the dial to +1EV and take 3 more.  So you end up with 5 shots of max 1EV b/w them.

Graham Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?
In reply to bigpigbig, 8 months ago

bigpigbig wrote:

mark rupert wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mark

I mostly bracket for HDR and touching the camera between shots makes life difficult.

People have been asking for an expanded bracketing range since the early days of the X100.  Fujifilm, which supposedly listens to photographers, has never expanded this range.

Dave Luttmann
Forum ProPosts: 12,346Gear list
Like?
In reply to Graham Hill, 8 months ago

Graham Hill wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

mark rupert wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mark

People have been asking for an expanded bracketing range since the early days of the X100. Fujifilm, which supposedly listens to photographers, has never expanded this range.

Did you say please?

Dave Luttmann's gear list:Dave Luttmann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +15 more
deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 1,912Gear list
Like?
Re: Digital split image

a l b e r t wrote:

Cheers

Deed

Search on Youtube, you should be able to find some videos on using the digital split image.

Frankly, I don't find it to be all that useful. It is because the split image is in black and white. So if you have subject that has low contrast or colors that turn out to have the same grey scale in the digital split, it'd be hard to to see the split as well. Also, if the subject has mostly horizontal contrast, you'll have to rotate the camera 90 degs in order to see the split. A more useful split would be something at 45 degs. I think it is up to the user to choose b/w focus peak and digital split to see which one works better on the subject.

As for focus peak, Fuji still hasn't implemented the use of different colors for the highlight. Also, they could use a stronger highlight for the focus peak. On my NEX-6, I use red as I don't see subjects with red in everyday shooting so it is far more easy to judge instead of white. The highlight is also stronger as well.

Another difficulty lies in using long focal length. There is no IBIS, and you'll see lots of handshake movements in the EVF especially when the focus area is blown up on a 105mm lens.

Had done that and found this (amongst others...):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FR3l6S12JA

In this video the split screen looks fantastic to me on vertical lines like in the olden days with the split image in this wee round thingy in the image centre, no idea what this is called, but you know what I mean, had this in my Pentax and Nikon cameras and thought his worked just fine.

I was interested in YOUR opinion on this, can read here that you don't seem to this it's all that great.

For me this would be one of the main reasons that I would chose the X-E2, but you feeling rather lukewarm about this I guess I have to check this out myself and see whether this would work for me. Manual lenses on focus peaking would only work for me on a tripod, was hoping for more to be frank!

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,611Gear list
Like?
Re: x100 wife age 40. True age 50. X100s age 60. X-E2 age?
In reply to griddi, 8 months ago

griddi wrote:

photo perzon wrote:

X100 did not have the deep wrinkle contrast the X100s brought. How's the 2? The X100s brings shadows that are too strong, makes wrinkles deep.

I can not understand your fetish / problems you seems to have with cameras which make your wife older or younger looking, the fact is, she is 50 years old, so why not accept this ?

Griddi.......

The whole beauty industry would love to have a camera that makes a 50 yr old woman look 40, and that is the X100.  "detail without texture" somebody wrote.  I find that the X Trans can be set to make shadows impenetrably black.  Applied to a 50 yr old that makes wrinkles darker.

Does it matter?  I think little else matters.

I'm hoping the X-E2 yields shadows more like the X100.

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,611Gear list
Like?

look at the samples in fujifilm.com

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_a1/sample_images/  the A1 looks good too

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
griddi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,318Gear list
Like?

photo perzon wrote:

griddi wrote:

photo perzon wrote:

Griddi.......

The whole beauty industry would love to have a camera that makes a 50 yr old woman look 40, and that is the X100. "detail without texture" somebody wrote. I find that the X Trans can be set to make shadows impenetrably black. Applied to a 50 yr old that makes wrinkles darker.

Does it matter? I think little else matters.

If a person is 50 years old........the person is still 50 years old, even IF perhaps a camera MAY made this person a bit younger looking, but what is the gain ?

In your case I am sure your wife does not work as a model anyway........

I am female, and not a spring chicken anymore, but if I look on a photo of me older or younger as I am actually are, I don't care at all, because it is ME on the photo.........

Apart from anything else, I would never buy a camera just perhaps this camera would made to look a person younger.......

BTW, I have the Fuji X100...........

Griddi.........

griddi's gear list:griddi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm XF1 Leica D-Lux 6 Fujifilm X20 +1 more
carlk
Forum ProPosts: 15,790Gear list
Like?

photo perzon wrote:

griddi wrote:

photo perzon wrote:

Griddi.......

The whole beauty industry would love to have a camera that makes a 50 yr old woman look 40, and that is the X100.  "detail without texture" somebody wrote.  I find that the X Trans can be set to make shadows impenetrably black.  Applied to a 50 yr old that makes wrinkles darker.

Does it matter?  I think little else matters.

You know that you can easily make the 10 or 20 year difference with post?

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
Brian_Downunda
Regular MemberPosts: 398
Like?
Re: Shutter lag time

a l b e r t wrote:

The focus speed has been less of an issue for me than lag - EVF lag and shutter lag. I gather from these and other comments that EVF lag is gone. But what about shutter lag? I find that when I'd trying to capture a changing scene that what I get is not quite what I thought I was getting. I'm don't expect D3s responsiveness, but I need something a little better than what I'm getting on the X-E1.

Actually, there is still some EVF lag, it is not completely gone, but more useable than before.

I think shutter lag is somewhat tied to AF speed. If PDAF is working (i.e.: scene with good vertical contrast), then the lag time can be very low. But I've yet to play with it extensively to confirm whether it is now good to go. With D3s and 24-70 AF-S lens, AF is so fast that I can pretty much capture the facial expression as soon as I see it in the viewfinder. I'm not sure if this can be done with X-E2 yet. For sure it is impossible with X-E1.

Thanks.  What would really help me is some comment on shutter lag when using manual focus or with focus locked.  That presumably would be pure shutter lag - separate from any residual focus issues.  The X-E1 seems to do some sort of dance with the diaphragm before firing the shutter which causes this shutter lag.  I recall that I read somewhere that a recent firmware upgrade fixed this with another Fuji camera - was it the X100 or X100S?  If my recollection is accurate, then it would be odd for Fuji to put out a new camera without a fix like this.  All the fast focussing in the world ain't going to help you if there is still shutter lag.  (Although it is possible that part of what I'm attributing to shutter lag may be EVF lag, but if so that should be gone too.)

B

Brian_Downunda
Like?
Re: Entirely agree
In reply to sgoldswo, 8 months ago

sgoldswo wrote:

The camera is a hell of a lot faster too in use as is the viewfinder. The lag between pressing the shutter and taking the picture seems almost eliminated. Image quality is the same, but it's much more satisfying to use because the focus and lag issues have been addressed.

This appears to answer a question I just asked albert in another part of this thread.  I wanted to know about shutter lag when using manual or locked focus, i.e. pure shutter lag unrelated to focus.  But if you had anything more to add to what albert might say on this topic I'd be very keen to hear, because this is a critical question for me.  Thanks.

B.

Chris G Hughes
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?
In reply to Brian_Downunda, 8 months ago

Well, there has to be some lag, right? Just like with an SLR. You have to wait for the mirror to flip out of the way and the shutter to open. Here you have to wait for the curtain to close, the sensor to dump data and the shutter to open. It happens very quickly, but it's always going to be there to a degree. The question is how much.

Chris G Hughes's gear list:Chris G Hughes's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
Brian_Downunda
Like?
In reply to Chris G Hughes, 8 months ago

Chris G Hughes wrote:

Well, there has to be some lag, right? Just like with an SLR. You have to wait for the mirror to flip out of the way and the shutter to open. Here you have to wait for the curtain to close, the sensor to dump data and the shutter to open. It happens very quickly, but it's always going to be there to a degree. The question is how much.

I agree, the question for me is: is it any less on the X-E2?  The X-E1 IMHO has a bit too much for it to be useful for shooting rapidly changing subjects.  I'm not expecting performance like my D3s, but I honestly believe that it could be better.  And I'm sure I read that Fuji improved it for another X camera recently.

I asked quite specific questions of the other two posters because I want to make sure we're all talking about the same thing - pure shutter lag.

B.

1drey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,172Gear list
Like?
In reply to bigpigbig, 8 months ago

bigpigbig wrote:

mark rupert wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mark

I also need wider bracketing for HDR (when shooting spherical panoramas in particular) - touching a camera between series of shooting is not a good idea.

-- hide signature --
 1drey's gear list:1drey's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads