Nex 7 need lenses about 300 bright (2.8 or less)

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Patrizia
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?
Nex 7 need lenses about 300 bright (2.8 or less)
10 months ago

Hi,  I've got a nex 7 and need a bright tele I can use in the evening, in low light. The one I've got is a 55 210 which is useless in such light. I'd like a 300 (with adapter) but Sony ones are incredibly expensive. Can you suggest a cheaper one (obviously not Sony)?

Patrizia's gear list:Patrizia's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tuloom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,147
Like?
Re: Nex 7 need lenses about 300 bright (2.8 or less)
In reply to Patrizia, 10 months ago

Take a look at these:

Tokina 300mm 2.8 SD AT-X (Nikon, Canon, other mounts?)

Tamron 300 2.8 LD IF Adaptall

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,119Gear list
Like?

Hi,  I've got a nex 7 and need a bright tele I can use in the evening, in low light. The one I've got is a 55 210 which is useless in such light. I'd like a 300 (with adapter) but Sony ones are incredibly expensive. Can you suggest a cheaper one (obviously not Sony)?

300mm f/2.8 lenses are neither cheap not light. You could find some third party versions for less. What about 200/2.8 instead? That lens is small and light (relatively speaking). If interested, look for Minolta 200/2.8 G APO HS, generally selling for 600-800. If you don't mind weight and size being more, Minolta 80-200/2.8 G HS can be an option.

HS is designation for high speed (auto focus). These lenses are not MF friendly and will need LAEA2/4.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,980Gear list
Like?

I picked up a Sigma 70-210 macro with an OM mount for next to nothing. There are quite a few different 70-210 lenses around and although some are not the best, at least they are there to choose from.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,785Gear list
Like?
re: indeed Tokina 300/2.8 AF in A-mount is smaller than...
In reply to Tuloom, 10 months ago

Tuloom wrote:

Take a look at these:

Tokina 300mm 2.8 SD AT-X (Nikon, Canon, other mounts?)

...most alternatives so if IQ is at least decent it'll be tough to beat. However, it is still one huge whale of a lens:

and it has a big, big, big advantage of NOT being white !!

one additional question, though - how good/fast or bad/slow is that AF in action? Quite recently I got really dismal report of a very poor speed from the Sony G 70-400 through the LA-EA2, sad

jpr2

Tuloom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,147
Like?
Re: re: indeed Tokina 300/2.8 AF in A-mount is smaller than...
In reply to jpr2, 10 months ago

jpr2 wrote:

one additional question, though - how good/fast or bad/slow is that AF in action? Quite recently I got really dismal report of a very poor speed from the Sony G 70-400 through the LA-EA2, sad

jpr2

Yea, I wouldn't count on AF with it, but I can't really comment. I don't own it or the LA-EAx. The Tonika I mentioned is the older MF version. Like this one.

Edit: A better example .

Patrizia
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, 10 months ago

Thanks everybody. I'll make up my mind and see what comes out.

Patrizia

Patrizia's gear list:Patrizia's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS
hyenadog
Contributing MemberPosts: 724
Like?

the big issue with the NEX has always been the lack of anything tele >50mm (there is a sigma 60mm without OIS) .. its one of the reasons many people move from NEX to dslr

You have 3 choices really :

1. spend a small fortune on the v2 or above Sony A to nex adapter - loose half a stop becuase of its mirror, loose any OIS because 99.9% of A mount lenses dont have OIS in .. and then you are stuck with a "possibly" soon to be defunct A mount lens and adapter

2. get a Canon IS stabilised AF lens that you can use with Canon dslrs PLUS you can add a $100 chinese electronic EF to NEX adapter. You get the full electronic interface between NEX and lens (so all your auto modes/EXIF etc work), you get image stabilisation on the lens and you get a very slow autofocus as well. (to a lesser extent theres a contax to nex adapter along these lines but as there are no contax dslrs its options are limited to your NEX)

3. get one of the old (usually >30yr)primes/manual adapter - if you are lucky/pay enough to get a fungus free/undamaged lens then you loose any electronic interface, most of your auto modes, autofocus, OIS, exif etc. Theres an additional problem as focus peeking isnt the greatest on tele lenses and as sony doesnt allow you to set a minimum shutter speed you will find the camera likes to drop to 1/60 on autoiso before it ups the iso so its another manual thing for you to check/correct before you stand a chance of a non blurred shot - which on a moving target is a real pain in the a**.

As Ive got a nikon dslr/lenses as well as a NEX5R I went (after buying 4 "mint optics" nikon 105AI/AIS on fleabay only to find all heavily fungused/damaged) to a London Nikon dealer and paid the Nikon price and got a beautiful mint optics very late 105f2.5 AI (which wasnt cheap) and its a real challenge to get sharp pics of moving targets in dull light (mostly down to Sony making it difficult with the lack of a minimum shutter speed settable option and me just getting used to it on the NEX)

here are some quick snaps just to check the lens - the day i bought it on a dull London late afternoon a few days ago

1. hand held - at 1/200sec and 1/80sec - you can see the slight shake - note ive got v.steady hands

2. stabilised - at 1/40sec - in a cafe bar stabilised on a table with lens cap under lens (manual shutter activation/front curtain shutter)

The 105f2.5 can give beautiful pictures with practice and technique even on the NEX - lovely defocused background, sharp as a razor, beautiful colours. Ive got it really to monopod mount to take low light pics of my kids/family on theatre stage and playing sports outside in the dull English weather .. Sadly Sony only seem to think people that buy the NEX want to take landscape pics - probably why so many sell up and move to dslr

1/80 sec

1/200 sec

1/40 sec

steelhead3
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,149Gear list
Like?
In reply to hyenadog, 10 months ago

Not 300, but I am having good luck with a Minolta 200 mc 3.5.  Balances well with the nex 7,  has fast 3.5 aperture and I paid $25.  Built old style and should last until the next century.

steelhead3's gear list:steelhead3's gear list
Sony a77 II
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,246Gear list
Like?
Focus peaking on fast lenses
In reply to hyenadog, 10 months ago

hyenadog wrote:

the big issue with the NEX has always been the lack of anything tele >50mm (there is a sigma 60mm without OIS) .. its one of the reasons many people move from NEX to dslr

You have 3 choices really :

1. spend a small fortune on the v2 or above Sony A to nex adapter - loose half a stop becuase of its mirror, loose any OIS because 99.9% of A mount lenses dont have OIS in .. and then you are stuck with a "possibly" soon to be defunct A mount lens and adapter

2. get a Canon IS stabilised AF lens that you can use with Canon dslrs PLUS you can add a $100 chinese electronic EF to NEX adapter. You get the full electronic interface between NEX and lens (so all your auto modes/EXIF etc work), you get image stabilisation on the lens and you get a very slow autofocus as well. (to a lesser extent theres a contax to nex adapter along these lines but as there are no contax dslrs its options are limited to your NEX)

3. get one of the old (usually >30yr)primes/manual adapter - if you are lucky/pay enough to get a fungus free/undamaged lens then you loose any electronic interface, most of your auto modes, autofocus, OIS, exif etc. Theres an additional problem as focus peeking isnt the greatest on tele lenses and as sony doesnt allow you to set a minimum shutter speed you will find the camera likes to drop to 1/60 on autoiso before it ups the iso so its another manual thing for you to check/correct before you stand a chance of a non blurred shot - which on a moving target is a real pain in the a**.

3: Focus peaking works fine on bright tele lenses. Given good daylight and set on yellow at either low or medium it shows down to F/8 in the EVF of the NEX-7. The OP is looking at a wider open 300mm tele lens. With a 300 F/2.8 focus peaking is just fine, same as a 500 F/4.5 or 800 F/5.6. Never used auto ISO and always set mine up manually.

On a fine day at F/4.5-F/5.6 with higher shutter speeds for action shots, my general settings are around ISO 200-400, 1/2000-1/3200 and focus peaking works just fine. Even on a dull day I see focus peaking in cloudy conditions.

To the original poster if this one posted above is in good condition (especially the last link) that is a darn good buy .........

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52491588

All the best and without it, I wouldn't be shooting long tele lenses.

Danny.

-- hide signature --

http://www.birdsinaction.com
The image couldn't care less what took it, it just exists.

pwmoree
Regular MemberPosts: 243Gear list
Like?
Re: Focus peaking on fast lenses
In reply to nzmacro, 10 months ago

I have this Tokina 300mm f2.8 and I am very happy using it with the N7.

pwmoree's gear list:pwmoree's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +6 more
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 4,853Gear list
Like?

The LAEA2 adapter works brilliantly well on the NEX7. Any fast A mount lens will fit and suit your purpose.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
John Summers
Regular MemberPosts: 176Gear list
Like?

Konica Hexanon. 200mm f/3.5 1lb 13 oz. ---  200mm f/4 1lb 2 oz.

300mm f/4.5 -- 2lb 2 oz

400mm f4.6 -- 3lb. 9 oz.     I use these four Konica lens with a NEX7 plus adapter also a LA-EA2 with A mount lens. A 300mm 2.8 or less might cost a pretty penny & be quite heavy. A 2X adapter or consider a Metabone adapter. Cannon to E mount.  I recently read they are producing one.

Fly'nErcil

John Summers's gear list:John Summers's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +9 more
John Summers
Regular MemberPosts: 176Gear list
Like?

Sigma APO 300mm F2.8 EX DG -- LA-EA2  The lens weights 5.29lbs

-- hide signature --

Fly'nErcil

John Summers's gear list:John Summers's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +9 more
pwmoree
Regular MemberPosts: 243Gear list
Like?
In reply to John Summers, 10 months ago

this one was also taken with the Tokina 300mm 2.8

pwmoree's gear list:pwmoree's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +6 more
verybiglebowski
Senior MemberPosts: 3,018Gear list
Like?

Patrizia wrote:

Hi, I've got a nex 7 and need a bright tele I can use in the evening, in low light. The one I've got is a 55 210 which is useless in such light. I'd like a 300 (with adapter) but Sony ones are incredibly expensive. Can you suggest a cheaper one (obviously not Sony)?

I tried few 300mm lenses on NEX 7 while ago...

-- hide signature --

Don't trust your eyes or mind, they might betray you! Trust only comments posted on the forums, because there is the absolute truth!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/viktor_viktor/
http://verybiglobo.blogspot.com/

Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,175
Like?

Patrizia wrote:

Hi, I've got a nex 7 and need a bright tele I can use in the evening, in low light. The one I've got is a 55 210 which is useless in such light. I'd like a 300 (with adapter) but Sony ones are incredibly expensive. Can you suggest a cheaper one (obviously not Sony)?

Ah cheaper?  Harder. But you could try the Canon FD 200/2.8 which is a very good lens and not too hefty.  Last time I looked it was about US$200+, wth a standard adapter you will be getting 300mm equivalent on the NEX7 (MF only).

On the other hand a Canon EF 200/2.0 is a lot of "hay" but will give full control from the NEX7 and a Metabones Speed Booster will give you 213mm at f1.4 or Smart adapter 300mm at f2.0 and even slow AF.  Very incredibly expensive I will admit but you tend to pay for the privilege but legacy lenses can be relative bargains.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,785Gear list
Like?
Tom: mine EF 200/2.8L on SB...
In reply to Tom Caldwell, 10 months ago

Tom Caldwell wrote:

On the other hand a Canon EF 200/2.0 is a lot of "hay" but will give full control from the NEX7 and a Metabones Speed Booster will give you 213mm at f1.4 or Smart adapter 300mm at f2.0 and even slow AF. Very incredibly expensive I will admit but you tend to pay for the privilege but legacy lenses can be relative bargains.

records into EXIF 141.8/2 so I've no idea how your 200mm is being recorded as 213mm??? (yes, the conversion from f2/ to f/1.4 is obvious but NOT the FL),

jpr2

kennethp
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
Re: Tom: mine EF 200/2.8L on SB...

Would strongly suggest it has a tripod collar/mount on it.

Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,175
Like?
Re: Tom: mine EF 200/2.8L on SB...

jpr2 wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

On the other hand a Canon EF 200/2.0 is a lot of "hay" but will give full control from the NEX7 and a Metabones Speed Booster will give you 213mm at f1.4 or Smart adapter 300mm at f2.0 and even slow AF. Very incredibly expensive I will admit but you tend to pay for the privilege but legacy lenses can be relative bargains.

records into EXIF 141.8/2 so I've no idea how your 200mm is being recorded as 213mm??? (yes, the conversion from f2/ to f/1.4 is obvious but NOT the FL),

jpr2

I take it one step further to what we actually get and multiply the crop factor of 1.5 x 141.8 = 212.7mm effective.  So a 200mm on an aps-c via straight adapter works like a 300mm effective.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads