This thread is locked.
Lawrence22
Forum MemberPosts: 76
Re: S Grins.
In reply to s_grins, 11 months ago

s_grins wrote:

MichaelKJ wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

That is true. It seems that on such big sites like Dpreview there is more probability for biased behavior.

I fail to understand why you think a big site is more prone to biased behavior. Could you please explain your reasoning.

We've both been here for quite some time and I find almost all of your comments to be considerate and well thought out. However, I think your accusing DPR of biased reviewing is uncalled for. Given your love for Panasonic gear, I can't help but think that your accusing DPR of bias stems from your own pro-Panasonic bias.

As little sample of treating different folks differently:

E-M1 was announced after GX7, but full review was posted before. And, not to forget, Sir Butler personally came on forum to post the announcement of E-M1 on forum, and not so for GX7. Not a big deal, but I'm sensitive to such a little thing.

On larger scale, DPR has lost interest (ever biased) to cameras and has more to vest into the business. That is why website expanded so rapidly and became less informative.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

I have the same thinking, as the GX7 announced quite a long time before the EM1, but the full review of EM1 came out in a very short time. It is not a big deal,but I'm also sensitive to such a little thing. I notice that at  high ISO GX7 shows a very good showout, but the Dpreview don't add the credit to it, as before praising the other systems showing good high ISO performance over pana.

Lawrence

cameron2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,082Gear list
Re: DPR GX7 review is up!
In reply to tgutgu, 11 months ago

tgutgu wrote:

GX7: rainbow effect, 16:9 aspect ratio (probably currently the best Panasonic EVF, though)

I use it. There's no rainbow for me. It's a great EVF. (I also use G1 and GH2, so I know Pany EVFs by now.)

I do suggest a baseball cap on bright days though!

cameron2's gear list:cameron2's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +16 more
cameron2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,082Gear list
Re: Gold.
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, 11 months ago

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Should had a Gold Award, from what I have seen on other camera reviews.

Who cares about the award?!?

I learned things from the review .. that's valuable. What does the award do for you?

cameron2's gear list:cameron2's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +16 more
fcna72
Regular MemberPosts: 215Gear list
In reply to Lawrence22, 11 months ago

Lawrence22 wrote:

s_grins wrote:

MichaelKJ wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

That is true. It seems that on such big sites like Dpreview there is more probability for biased behavior.

I fail to understand why you think a big site is more prone to biased behavior. Could you please explain your reasoning.

We've both been here for quite some time and I find almost all of your comments to be considerate and well thought out. However, I think your accusing DPR of biased reviewing is uncalled for. Given your love for Panasonic gear, I can't help but think that your accusing DPR of bias stems from your own pro-Panasonic bias.

E-M1 was announced after GX7, but full review was posted before. And, not to forget, Sir Butler personally came on forum to post the announcement of E-M1 on forum, and not so for GX7. Not a big deal, but I'm sensitive to such a little thing.

On larger scale, DPR has lost interest (ever biased) to cameras and has more to vest into the business. That is why website expanded so rapidly and became less informative.

-- hide signature --

I have the same thinking, as the GX7 announced quite a long time before the EM1, but the full review of EM1 came out in a very short time. It is not a big deal,but I'm also sensitive to such a little thing. I notice that at  high ISO GX7 shows a very good showout, but the Dpreview don't add the credit to it, as before praising the other systems showing good high ISO performance over pana.

Lawrence

Couldn’t agree more. Considering the review barely tested (if at all) many new features, you wonder why it took such a long time to write such a basic review….no comment on IBIS effectiveness, HDR, Panorama, multi exposure, new 20mm II, eshutter impact on shutter shock, real battery life, barely anything on ISO 125). Very shallow review considering many one-man review covered a lot more in a lot less time.

Award is irrelevant to me, but I wish there was more meat into the review.

fcna72's gear list:fcna72's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,123Gear list
In reply to photoshooter1, 11 months ago

photoshooter1 wrote:

Let me explain :

Fuji XM1 rating 77% gets Gold Award

Canon SL1 rates 78% gets Gold Award

Ricoh GR Rate 79% gets Gold Award

Many other reviewed cameras with 79% gets Gold Award.

PANASONIC GX7 rates 79%......only rates Silver??????

Why the discrepancy??? Is there a bias against Panasonic?

Sony RX100II 79% Silver

Nikon D5200 79% Silver

Canon 5D 83% Silver

Fuji X-PRO1 79% Silver

When one looks at a more complete and list of DPR scores and awards instead of the one you cherry picked, your argument that the pattern of scores and awards shows a bias against Panasonic loses its credibility.

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
AndyGM
Contributing MemberPosts: 695Gear list
In reply to Cipher, 11 months ago

This review, and the score, was overly harsh. I don't own a GX7, but I do want one after trying it in stores. I wanted to check out whether the increased refresh rate lessened the rainbow effect, which I see very pronounced but doesn't bother me. What I found is there is just as much rainbow effect as there is with the EVFs in the G3, G5 and GH2, but a whole lot more resolution so it's way better for manual focus, and as I said, the effect has never bothered me. Even though the G6 has no rainbow effect, I still think I'd prefer the EVF in the GX7 because how well it lets you manual focus is more important to me than colour fringes on edges that only appear when panning. I call BS/hogwash on the light leaking issue, never saw that, but then I don't wear glasses (I have 20:20 vision).

I've not yet seen the VF4 or the E-M1 so I can't compare them to the GX7. I'd say I'd be equally happy with the EVF in the GX7 and E-M5. Everyone is saying the VF4 is a major step up, and I'll trust their judgement.

The Olympus 2 Axis IBIS system, as still used in the E-PM2/PL5, is only active on exposure, not on half press, just like the GX7, so moaning about that just shows someone who has been using an E-M5 so much they think that stabilisation while composing is the norm. Well, it's not.

In the UK, the GX7 plus kit zoom costs exactly the same as an E-P5 plus kit zoom plus VF4. So for me, assuming the fast shutter release setting really does sort out the shutter shock, I'd go for the E-P5 purely because I shoot stills and next to no video, I want the 5 axis IBIS because none of my existing lenses have OIS, and I want the option to take the EVF off and stick it in another pocket if I don't need it. If video was more important to me, I'd take the GX7, which I do want... I just want the PEN a bit more because it suits me better. Choice is good.

And lastly, isn't the trait of changing aperture and ISO first, shutter speed last, in P mode a trait common to all Panasonics? Which comes from their greater video focus (a good part of why they produce such smooth looking video is they keep the shutter as close to a "180 degree shutter" for that frame rate). To get video anywhere near as smooth as that on an Oly camera, you have to stick them into shutter priority, and then you don't get Auto ISO!

AndyGM's gear list:AndyGM's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
AndyGM
Contributing MemberPosts: 695Gear list
In reply to Lawrence22, 11 months ago

s_grins wrote:

MichaelKJ wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

-- hide signature --

Lawrence

Oh come on you two, Richard from DPR has already explained why the E-M1 review got finished first. They received a final production E-M1 before it was announced, so they could start testing it even while they were under embargo. On the day the GX7 was announced, they'd only seen pre-production units. Enough with the paranoid victim mentality, it is PANASONICS OWN FAULT that the GX7 review is, what, a whole massive 10 days later! 10 days, what an utter disaster!

Jeez...

AndyGM's gear list:AndyGM's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,282Gear list
In reply to MichaelKJ, 11 months ago

MichaelKJ wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Also, I can't see, why the GX7 review creates so much anger. The GX7 nevertheless scored a remarkable 79% and missed the highest category just by 1 point for conclusive reasons. The GX7 fans cry out bias! Even the moderator slams the reviewers lost their touch (with whom?).

A review is not to please existing customers but to inform potential buyers and to assess the quality and characteristics of a product. Reading the review I think the GX7 is well described and assessed. It is generally positively described. If the reviewer finds flaws, they have to be mentioned and taken into the score.

Next, people claim that it is impossible or nonsense to compare the GX7 with cameras, which scored better, like the E-M1. Of course you can! IQ is comparable always. Ergonomics as well, and the reviewer undoubtedly put his findings into the perspective of this body type. The camera is less robust and well build than the E-M1, why not take this into account? It is valuable information for buyers! The GX7 is cheaper, so you can't expect the same quality or features than from a more expensive camera. Perhaps, but that does not mean that it gets a bonus. The price/value relationship is documented (I don't know if its part of the score) and taken care of.

To me, it is a great review. It scores the camera well and justified. The score is high (higher than E-P5).

I can only support dpreview not granting the gold award inflationary, like so many magazines and online reviewers do.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +26 more
tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,282Gear list
In reply to AndyGM, 11 months ago

AndyGM wrote:

This review, and the score, was overly harsh. I don't own a GX7, but I do want one after trying it in stores. I wanted to check out whether the increased refresh rate lessened the rainbow effect, which I see very pronounced but doesn't bother me. What I found is there is just as much rainbow effect as there is with the EVFs in the G3, G5 and GH2, but a whole lot more resolution so it's way better for manual focus, and as I said, the effect has never bothered me. Even though the G6 has no rainbow effect, I still think I'd prefer the EVF in the GX7 because how well it lets you manual focus is more important to me than colour fringes on edges that only appear when panning. I call BS/hogwash on the light leaking issue, never saw that, but then I don't wear glasses (I have 20:20 vision).

I've not yet seen the VF4 or the E-M1 so I can't compare them to the GX7. I'd say I'd be equally happy with the EVF in the GX7 and E-M5. Everyone is saying the VF4 is a major step up, and I'll trust their judgement.

The Olympus 2 Axis IBIS system, as still used in the E-PM2/PL5, is only active on exposure, not on half press, just like the GX7, so moaning about that just shows someone who has been using an E-M5 so much they think that stabilisation while composing is the norm. Well, it's not.

In the UK, the GX7 plus kit zoom costs exactly the same as an E-P5 plus kit zoom plus VF4. So for me, assuming the fast shutter release setting really does sort out the shutter shock, I'd go for the E-P5 purely because I shoot stills and next to no video, I want the 5 axis IBIS because none of my existing lenses have OIS, and I want the option to take the EVF off and stick it in another pocket if I don't need it. If video was more important to me, I'd take the GX7, which I do want... I just want the PEN a bit more because it suits me better. Choice is good.

And lastly, isn't the trait of changing aperture and ISO first, shutter speed last, in P mode a trait common to all Panasonics? Which comes from their greater video focus (a good part of why they produce such smooth looking video is they keep the shutter as close to a "180 degree shutter" for that frame rate). To get video anywhere near as smooth as that on an Oly camera, you have to stick them into shutter priority, and then you don't get Auto ISO!

So why do you think it is too harsh? The camera got 79%!!!! It is mostly positively described. Should every new camera get a gold award?

If anything, cameras like the E-P5, where dpreview discovered shutter shock, are too generously scored, not enough harsh.

With today's manufacturers experience and skills, there isn't any excuse for disturbing artifacts in view finders, at least for cameras around and above 1000 $.

The reviewers should regard this. Technology advances and if a manufacturer still does things sub standard, it can't be scored with the highest rating. It would be unfair to better products and to the buyers.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +26 more
javayoda
Regular MemberPosts: 313Gear list
Re: "iDynamic-High" trumps JPG highlight clipping - in spades!
In reply to Pete Berry, 11 months ago

Pete Berry wrote:

Paul, as DPR stated, the highlight clipping issue can be addressed by simply using "iDynamic High" setting for JPG's, which gives a smoother highlight rolloff vs more of a straight line to the top, which matches EM-1's level, incidentally. And in comparison the EM-1, EM-5 and GH3 in their highest DR settings ("Gradation Auto" in the Olys), it has the greatest JPG highlight headroom: 2/3 EV greater than EM-1 and GH3.

Wouldn't iDynamic also affect RAW? The help text on the iDynamic menu item says it automatically adjusts contrast and *exposure*.

-- hide signature --
 javayoda's gear list:javayoda's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +18 more
Pixnat2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,217Gear list
Very good review - the GX8 will have a Gold Award.
In reply to Cipher, 11 months ago

Thanks Dpreview for this very good and well written review. It shows that the GX7 is a wonderful cameras, and has just one or two minor youth flaws that will be corrected in the GX8.

Remember the Fuji X100 (silver) and X100s (gold)?

I'm thankfull to Dpreview to judge this camera honestly, and I think they got it right.

Panasonic has made a wonderful camera that is promoted as a "State of Art" camera. But it isn't actually. The intention was good, the realisation is a little less good : the EVF problems, the not-so-good IBIS, unavailable in movie mode, the lack of mic input shows that the camera has some compromises. Nothing major, of course, but still present.

So the camera got a 79% and a Silver Award. It's an awesome score, showing that this camera is a wonderful shooting tool. Most users are likely to be very pleased with the camera.

I'm pretty sure the GX8 will have a better EVF, a better IBIS working in movie mode and will sport a mic input. An this time, it will get a Gold Award

In the meantime, and despite its Silvrer Award, the GX7 will make a lot of happy photographers.

-- hide signature --
 Pixnat2's gear list:Pixnat2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Olympus E-M1
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,252Gear list
Re: There are other sources for reviews
In reply to Hen3ry, 11 months ago

Hen3ry wrote:

What does Panasonic have to do? the GX7 is an outstanding camera. Don't come all this rubbish about EVF tearing during panning -- is that really a daily photographic problem? And as for the EVF not being glasses friendly -- my friends, I have been taking pix with eye level finders for 50 years, literally, and I have NEVER had a glasses-friendly finder. I have always had to work with glasses off and a custom adjustment lens in place (thank goodness for the diopter adjustments available today).

The images are as good as every comparison -- often better. It has the silent shutter, it has the built in flash (which is criticized as flimsy -- ALL such pop-ups are flimsy, but they are way better than nothing!), it has terrific ergonomics, it has …

As for the criticism of the IBIS, that it might not be as good as Oly's 5 way which is so handy for using legacy lenses or other non-OIS lenses -- come off the grass! Few people use legacy lenses for starters, and photography has been happening for well over a century without IBIS. And in any case, let's see a real comparison between the two IBISes (I expect the Oly IBIS is better, but for mine, it is a catch-up on the always excellent Panny OIS).

Well, actually the GX7 does NOT have a fully articulated screen which has been so much a feature of Panasonic m43 cams and is one of the important reasons I will NOT be buying it. I will buy a Panny G6 and I will be using Panny zooms with the excellent OIS.

But I still think the GX7 is well worth a gold award and should, in fact, be rated more highly than some of its gold award opposition.

And where, oh where is the full review of the G6?

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

I agree with much of what you've said, Henry, and this from an Olympus (E-M5) user.

And I'm also guilty as charged: I, too, often wait to see what DPR has to say about new cameras.  But I also look to other sites for their results for two reasons: 1) to get a more balanced understanding of how a camera performs and 2) because DPR is notoriously slow in getting reviews out, all their hand wringing excuses to the side.

CameraLabs, a site run by a single person, Gordon Laing, as compared to the Amazon sponsored large staff of DPR, manages to get out very respectable technical reviews often in advance of DPR, and often of cameras mFT fans have a strong interest in which DPR won't touch (G6 case in point). I find their difference in philosophy refreshing:

"Today Camera Labs also remains almost entirely a one-man operation." - Gordon Laing

More about Gordon and the site, and reviews of the GX7 and G6:

http://www.cameralabs.com/about/

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_GX7/index.shtml

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_G6/

I'll warn you right now, he also had quibbles with the GX7, but often from a different perspective, and very much respected all the features it manages to pull together. No perfect camera, guys and gals.

Regarding DPR, I typically come here for their very active forums, more so than their reviews, and I'm sure this is true of many others. A lot of great feedback from actual users of the cameras. The forums cost them next to nothing to run, and were a stroke of genius in initiating years back.

As for news, I get it first from 43Rumors, since my primary interest is mFT cameras. And then there are the drains on their resources like Connect, which from the moment it arrived sent me the message their drifting away from their core mission: cameras. The change in their studio test shot scene further put me off, immediately making it impossible to compare cameras predating it to those following it, never mind it's mind-bogglinly boring to look at and peculiar in the objects it provides (green fur?!) for viewing.

I guess what I'm saying is that different sites have their strengths and weaknesses, just like cameras. But at least the sites are thankfully free for the viewing, and DPR is certainly among the better ones out there, all niggles aside.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
MatsP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,069Gear list
In reply to AndyGM, 11 months ago

AndyGM wrote:

Everyone has the right to be a little disappointed and to express that. So has DPR. On the whole it's a very positive review. No doubts at all regarding image quality. So anyone who reads it and is capable to make their own conclusions and don't care about to or three points difference to competitors, which really is very marginal, should be brave enough to get the camera. If the few things that made DPR a little disappointed is not of importance for a presumptive buyer of the camera, no reason to hesitating buying it. 79%, very close to 80% and the magic gold award, is a very good rating.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
PaulChapman
Contributing MemberPosts: 930Gear list
Re: "iDynamic-High" trumps JPG highlight clipping - in spades!
In reply to javayoda, 11 months ago

Thanks....saw this in the review and will try. I think my problem may be because I shoot RAW+minJPEG as with the M9 and these JPEGs are not up to it other than references. Yes...wonder if I dynamic factors the RAW?

PaulChapman's gear list:PaulChapman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Leica M9-P Leica M Typ 240 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph +7 more
Advent1sam
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277
In reply to tombell1, 11 months ago

tombell1 wrote:

I reckon its a "damn near run thing"!!

http://***.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-gx7-vs-olympus-om-d-e-m5-comparison-review-22646

I will almost certainly buy one of these two cameras as a light weight option to my K5 … they both offer a lot and the choice will be decided on how they feel in the hand.

-- hide signature --

Tom Bell
Dartmoor
Devon
http://flickr.com/photos/tombell1

I have "upgraded" my em-5 to a GX7? I see it as a major upgrade, despite the similarities on paper. The main issue with the Olympus EM-5 is the color, check out the purple-magenta hue on everything, in raw in LR too. It appears on the GH3 too.

Other shortcomings of the EM-5, video, the frame rates are just not UK-Europe PAL friendly

No 1/8000 shutter for wide apertures in good light, without ND's

No silent shutter

No focus peaking, or in video either

The focus box while accurate is too big to really know if you've got it right

Infernal IBIS buzzing in your ear

No touch focus, pull focus in video

No iso125, for slower shutters, iso 200 base is too high

No replay in the EVF of the image shot, yes you got it right, you cant review images in the EVF, its a nightmare and very weird function.

Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,328Gear list
Re: My (premature) take: strange result
In reply to dpreviewreader, 11 months ago

You ask what the EP5 brings to the table? I will just recycle my post from three months ago. The EP5+VF4 is better quality than GX7 with the convenience of a built-in EVF. It is a question of what you prefer - better quality or convenience.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51935515

Well I have EPl5 + VF and I do not find it very convenientat all. Much better than no EVF, or sure. But convenient? The diminuitive VF3 is not at all. You can lose it, it makes the cam far less portabe. You can of course lose it. I do not findit nearly as convenient as the built in one on my GH2.
To my mind, it is not convenient at all.

to make matters worse: you pay an extra 250-300 dollars on a unit that otherwise costs the same. On top of 800 dollar that equates to 25-30% "bonus"..

Also: it does not resolve the video IQ difference. I have EPl5. It has the exact same video IQ I believe. My Gh2 blows it out of the water, just no comparison. No IBIS is going ot make up for it. Not at all.

Electronic shutter...does not wear
Better implemented intervalometer (and nice to have an e-shutter for that)
-4 eV AF
better ergonomics
sweep panorama
better menu's
All m43 lenses work flawlessly, EP5 does not correct everything in Panny lenses gving worse JPGs
Still IQ is on par

When we look at the same units at the same price, not having an EVF makes a HUGE difference. I do not see how that translates into 1 point difference at all.

And it is the very first time I disagree with dpreview. I have no intention of buying the GX7, but I do want to buy E-M1 or E-M2 (I really want to have better IQ to get me away from my GH2/EPL5 combo).

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Jorginho

EP5 score was 78 without the EVF. GX7 is 79 with the EVF. It adds 25% to the price...You seem to forget it. I have the EPl5 + VF3 and it is mounted on it all the time. Not very convenient, a thing sticking out making it far less pocketable. making it more prone to bump against. Making it more fragile. Connector that can get sand etc in. Only thing EVF 4 has is better IQ and bigger view. Still. I have seen a mention of GX7 VF being really true to live whereas the VF4 is not.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Advent1sam
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277
In reply to Jorginho, 11 months ago

Jorginho wrote:

You ask what the EP5 brings to the table? I will just recycle my post from three months ago. The EP5+VF4 is better quality than GX7 with the convenience of a built-in EVF. It is a question of what you prefer - better quality or convenience.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51935515

Well I have EPl5 + VF and I do not find it very convenientat all. Much better than no EVF, or sure. But convenient? The diminuitive VF3 is not at all. You can lose it, it makes the cam far less portabe. You can of course lose it. I do not findit nearly as convenient as the built in one on my GH2.
To my mind, it is not convenient at all.

to make matters worse: you pay an extra 250-300 dollars on a unit that otherwise costs the same. On top of 800 dollar that equates to 25-30% "bonus"..

Also: it does not resolve the video IQ difference. I have EPl5. It has the exact same video IQ I believe. My Gh2 blows it out of the water, just no comparison. No IBIS is going ot make up for it. Not at all.

Electronic shutter...does not wear
Better implemented intervalometer (and nice to have an e-shutter for that)
-4 eV AF
better ergonomics
sweep panorama
better menu's
All m43 lenses work flawlessly, EP5 does not correct everything in Panny lenses gving worse JPGs
Still IQ is on par

When we look at the same units at the same price, not having an EVF makes a HUGE difference. I do not see how that translates into 1 point difference at all.

And it is the very first time I disagree with dpreview. I have no intention of buying the GX7, but I do want to buy E-M1 or E-M2 (I really want to have better IQ to get me away from my GH2/EPL5 combo).

GX7 has better iq than em-1? what's the problem?

Danut Tiparu
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Unfair score for GX7!

I think GX7 is totally unfair. It should be around 81-82% (gold). Same think was happend with GH3, too. It seems like DPR has diferent measurement scale for Pany cameras, compare to Oly cameras.

Jorginho
Olympus VF-4: adds size and weight. How convenient.
In reply to peppermonkey, 11 months ago

EP5 wihtout EVF is as large as the GX7 with one. So compared to what does it add bulk, as per dpreview?
It adds 2.84*5.05 * 4.84 cm. P5 weighs 420 grams, more than GX7 with it EVF. VF4 adds another 50 grams. That is 470 vs 407 gram. So it nowweighs significantly more too.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads