Help With Profiles Please

Started 8 months ago | Questions
Donny_B
Forum MemberPosts: 81Gear list
Like?
Help With Profiles Please
8 months ago

Hi I have just bought a new Epson printer and what I would like to know which profile I should be using.

I have calibrated my monitor with Color Monkey but it doesn't do the printer I couldn't afford that one so should I be using the printers profile or the Color Monkey one. I useĀ  Adobe CS6. I'm all very new to this please forgive my ignorance.

Thanks Don

Donny_B's gear list:Donny_B's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Phil Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 2,536Gear list
Like?
Re: Help With Profiles Please
In reply to Donny_B, 8 months ago

Use the CM profile for the display. When printing, you’ll typically use the profile supplied by the paper manufacturer.

Here’s a good place to begin:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2025119943/printer-primer-2-print-workflow

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,171
Like?
In reply to Donny_B, 8 months ago

Donny_B wrote:

Hi I have just bought a new Epson printer

Which printer?

and what I would like to know which profile I should be using.

For what paper?

I have calibrated my monitor with Color Monkey but it doesn't do the printer I couldn't afford that one so should I be using the printers profile or the Color Monkey one. I use Adobe CS6. I'm all very new to this please forgive my ignorance.

Your ColorMunki Display only produces profiles for your display. It should set them up so you need to do no more.

Perhaps you should consider reading a little about color management:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/color-management1.htm

In general, to start out, I would suggest turning off color management in Photoshop, and letting the printer deal with color management, at least until you better understand what you are doing.

It isn't difficult. We all started with no knowledge. But it will take some reading. And perhaps hanging out on the forum.

Brian A

Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 1,916Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, 8 months ago

"In general, to start out, I would suggest turning off color management in Photoshop, and letting the printer deal with color management, at least until you better understand what you are doing."

I agree. When you let Printer Manage Color and choose the paper being used in the Printer driver, the printer will apply an internal, already determined profile.  Good luck and enjoy.

technoid
Senior MemberPosts: 1,295
Like?
In reply to Gesture, 8 months ago

Gesture wrote:

"In general, to start out, I would suggest turning off color management in Photoshop, and letting the printer deal with color management, at least until you better understand what you are doing."

I agree. When you let Printer Manage Color and choose the paper being used in the Printer driver, the printer will apply an internal, already determined profile. Good luck and enjoy.

Generally, you should use sRGB as a default colorspace for all work in CS6 and print using "let the printer manage color" until you are comfortable with using profiles. In addition to the complexity they can be hard to verify that you are using them correctly without a spectrophotometer. Profiles are essential when pushing printers to their gamut limit but the effects are subtle on most images.

EtoA:

Profiling the display is valuable in itself and photoshop will use it automatically while you work in sRGB.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads