D5200 39 point AF system settable to 11 AF points?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,413
Like?
D5200 39 point AF system settable to 11 AF points?
8 months ago

I know I can set it to 9/21/39 points but Nikon also says this:

"You can also choose to shoot with 11 focus points for quicker focus-point selection."

Pray tell how I can set my D5200 to 11 focus points.  Not that I'm desperate to do that but I can't figure out how.  Thanks.

Nikon D5200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
newbrain
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
Re: D5200 39 point AF system settable to 11 AF points?
In reply to toomanycanons, 8 months ago

You can set the number of AF points in the a2 setting of the Custom Settings menu.

This detail information is contained in the Reference Manual (page 157), not in the shorter User guide

newbrain's gear list:newbrain's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
szhorvat
Forum MemberPosts: 66
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, 8 months ago

With that setting, the camera will still use all 39 should you set it to AF-C with 39 points, but when you manually select a point to use when acquiring first focus, you can only choose from 11 of them. This can be useful when you need to move the focus point faster.  Essentially it just moves in bigger steps.

toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,413
Like?
In reply to szhorvat, 8 months ago

Interesting.  Of course I'd only been trying it by choosing the autofocus from the LCD.  I'll have to try it.  I do move the focus point a lot and find with all 39 to choose from it takes some time.  Can't imagine having 51!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads